AVS Forum banner

421 - 440 of 1178 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Update: my AX800U arrived yesterday and I got it wall mounted shortly thereafter. I haven't even had a chance to try 3D yet, nor the DisplayPort connection, but I can confirm that over HDMI 2.0, I'm getting 4:4:4 color at 4K/60Hz, and the TV passes all the static image tests I've been using. I've only done a little bit of tweaking in the settings menu, but already I'm impressed with the PQ. So first impressions are -- loving it!

Apologies for the low quality cell phone camera picture below, but at least you can get an idea of how it fits into my existing 'cockpit' setup:

Nice. Is that the 50 inch version?

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
So I went to the Good Guys store today to have a look at the Samsung HU9000 and HU8500 and to compare it to the AX800 that was on display. The AX800 on display did not look like it was leaning back at all. From the side it was a very slight lean but not distracting at all.

It appears My AX800 at home does indeed lean back more. Going to re-seat it in the stand to see if that fixes it. Odd issue.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Although I currently have it hooked up via HDMI unitl I can pick up a DisplyPort 1.2 cable.
FYI:

Craig Wiley said:
A standard DisplayPort cable is designed to work with any DisplayPort
Source device, such as a PC or laptop, and any DisplayPort monitor.
This means that a standard DisplayPort cable will work with the very
first DisplayPort systems and displays introduced around five years
ago, and they will continue to work with the newest and future systems
and displays that support multi-stream and display resolutions up to
4K (Ultra HD) at 60Hz...

Despite what you may read, there is no such thing as a DisplayPort 1.1
cable and DisplayPort 1.2 cable. A standard DisplayPort cable,
including the so-call DisplayPort 1.1 cables, will work for any
DisplayPort configuration including the new capabilities enabled by
DisplayPort 1.2, including 4K and multi-stream capabilities. All
standard DisplayPort cables support RBR, HBR (High Bit Rate), and HBR2
(High Bit Rate 2), which can support 4K at 60Hz, or up to four 1080p
displays using multi-stream.
http://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

Reactions: SDsc0rch

·
Registered
538 Posts
Is any AX800U owners has these vertical line almost middle of the screen (you notice it in light background pictures when camera is moving Hockey game, Soccer etc.).
I just have to make a decision replace or just return this item. I know light bleed bottom middle of the screen few more people have them, that is not a dealbreaker for me.
As much as i love the PQ in this TV if this is an issue most people has i rather don't bother with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice to see some fellow DCS players here, I'm hoping to get the ax800u myself for DCS. Also, thanks Gregp for the pic of your new setup, I hope to see another vid and more impressions!

You other gents have any pics of your setup? I'm especially interested in anyone running this panny with an Obutto cockpit!

Thanks,
Morgue

·
Registered
635 Posts
Did anyone directly compare this to the 9000 series Samsung before pulling the trigger? My local A/V guy can do $200 cheaper on the 65 panny versus the Samsung, but they are taking forever to get in and are special order. Any thoughts from owners?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did anyone directly compare this to the 9000 series Samsung before pulling the trigger? My local A/V guy can do $200 cheaper on the 65 panny versus the Samsung, but they are taking forever to get in and are special order. Any thoughts from owners?
I did at the store. Black levels appear better on the AX800. Colors appear better on the Samsung HU9000.Other than that they appeared fairly similar in PQ. Not sure if one upscales better than the other though. TV's were both running 4k content. Would be interested to read anyone else's opinions on the two sets. I gather the majority people posting here would have seen the Samsung in store.

·
Registered
32 Posts
@Morguedcs >>

apologize for the lame cell ph pic

i currently have the 58-in mounted on top of a file cabinet - the monitor adapter (VESA) that comes with the Obutto r3v doesn't fit the 400mm size

will be (hopefully) building an adapter for tomorrow to mount the ax800 to the obutto monitor stand

will try to folup w/ a pic of how it all looks afterword..

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just to update on my purchase. Best buy bud came out on a service call to see the buzzing coming from them the power cord area where it plugs into the tv. (was very loud, could hear on couch 12 feet away over the content), agreed it needed to be replaced. For good measure called a larger store with a big Magnolia section and had them check theirs on display, wasn't doing it.

I went to the bigger store to look at it and other models and do the swap so I wouldn't have to wait for Geek Squad to come out, or our store to get one in stock. While there we noticed the banding issue on the display unit which we thought might just be related to the power clicking/buzzing. The Magnolia guys said they thought they had mounted it too tight to the bracket on the back to cause it on theirs.

So. We collectively determined it was a model issue. I ended up swapping for a Sony x850b, and to be honest every moment with the new one has been a much much nicer experience than with the AX800. The Smart GUI is MUCH faster and smoother, has much more content on Sonys networks, and the TV looks better. Plus other perks that we're loving, and the picture settings menu is much more pleasing for me. The whole menu is really.

The Panasonic had deeper blacks but, all in all we are considerably happier with the new one. And it was 200 bucks cheaper! My only regret is not jumping on the 70". ;)

For what it's worth for anyone out there reading and debating..

Thanks for your help guys, cheers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
question...

"how" can i put this TV into FULL SCREEN mode?

i don't get enough frame rates in 4K - so i want to step it down to 1440

but when i do that, the image area is reduced - and i see a black frame all the way around the image

when i go in to Picture | Screen Settings | Screen Format - it "seems" like that's where i would be able to change the mode to "FULL" --- but its greyed out and inaccessible

what OTHER setting do i have to have the TV in to get 1440 at full size?

in 4K i'm getting mid-20s framerates - at 1440 i'm getting in the 40s

thx!

·
Registered
165 Posts
question...

"how" can i put this TV into FULL SCREEN mode?

i don't get enough frame rates in 4K - so i want to step it down to 1440

but when i do that, the image area is reduced - and i see a black frame all the way around the image

when i go in to Picture | Screen Settings | Screen Format - it "seems" like that's where i would be able to change the mode to "FULL" --- but its greyed out and inaccessible

what OTHER setting do i have to have the TV in to get 1440 at full size?

in 4K i'm getting mid-20s framerates - at 1440 i'm getting in the 40s

thx!
I don't think it will upscale a 1440p signal to 2160p -- see page 25 of the eManual (http://shop.panasonic.com/docs/operating-instruction/2014/tv/E-HELP_AX800.pdf), which states that the aspect ratio is fixed to "FULL."

How does 1080p upscaled to 4K look?

Btw, someone over in the Vizio P series thread tried 1440p on their set and it didn't look good, which I'm taking to mean that it upscaled it to 4K vs. black bars on the borders.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #433
Yeah, you can't output to 1440p, it is the same on other 4k sets like Sony's as well. You can either have full screen 1080p or full screen 2160p, if you do anything in-between, it will be boarders around the image.

What GPU/CPU are you using? 4k gaming is extremely demanding and even top of the line GPU/CPU combo will struggle with certain games. I am using an overclocked 3930k CPU paired with Water Cooled Overclocked original GTX Titan's in SLI to drive 4k and depending on the game, I can hit 60fps, but on some games I average around 40-45fps. Also at 4k, ensure you turn off any AA as at that resolution it is not doing much for you, so that can save some GPU resources to maintain the frame rate in games.

Reactions: SDsc0rch

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah, you can't output to 1440p, it is the same on other 4k sets like Sony's as well. You can either have full screen 1080p or full screen 2160p, if you do anything in-between, it will be boarders around the image.

What GPU/CPU are you using? 4k gaming is extremely demanding and even top of the line GPU/CPU combo will struggle with certain games. I am using an overclocked 3930k CPU paired with Water Cooled Overclocked original GTX Titan's in SLI to drive 4k and depending on the game, I can hit 60fps, but on some games I average around 40-45fps. Also at 4k, ensure you turn off any AA as at that resolution it is not doing much for you, so that can save some GPU resources to maintain the frame rate in games.
Hawkmoon, my PC* is capable of [email protected] Hz
would that mean if I go for this set I wouldn't be able to watch movies in full screen without those artifacts you're mentioning ?

My PC is also capable of [email protected] - i wonder if that's a better choice for a movie then? Probably not for sports I imagine, although isn't most downloadable content (torrented fullhd movies in mkv container) going at only 25fps or something anyway ?

Anyhow if I would decide to play something less demanding on graphics like latest version of Civilization I wouldn't be able to play that @60hz without the artifacts then ?

*intel i7 4650u with Intel hd 5000
U-Processor

·
Registered
32 Posts
ok.. you're right

so, for future reference (for anyone searching around the forums at some arbitrary point in the future..) you can have "full screen" 1080p via the HDMI cable

or full 4K @ 60Hz via DP cable

turning off/minimizing all AA and other "improvements" in DCS - yet leaving MED water, FAR terrain distance, etc -- i'm getting low 40s for framerates at 4K, sometimes dipping into the lower 20s (yes, seeing stuttering - yes, its annoying ---- probably gonna have to buy a second 970 in SLI to bump things up higher)

*sigh*

·
Registered
165 Posts
ok.. you're right

so, for future reference (for anyone searching around the forums at some arbitrary point in the future..) you can have "full screen" 1080p via the HDMI cable

turning off/minimizing all AA and other "improvements" in DCS - yet leaving MED water, FAR terrain distance, etc -- i'm getting low 40s for framerates at 4K, sometimes dipping into the lower 20s (yes, seeing stuttering - yes, its annoying ---- probably gonna have to buy a second 970 in SLI to bump things up higher)

*sigh*
It will accept 4K @ 60 Hz over HDMI 2.0 as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
ok.. you're right

*sigh*
I'd never heard of DCS before, so I downloaded it to check out. With everything set on Max, 4k, I'm running nice and smooth at 4k, also using a 970.
Heck, I can run Skyrim at full max settings without a hitch at 4K, too.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #438
Hawkmoon, my PC* is capable of [email protected] Hz
would that mean if I go for this set I wouldn't be able to watch movies in full screen without those artifacts you're mentioning ?

My PC is also capable of [email protected] - i wonder if that's a better choice for a movie then? Probably not for sports I imagine, although isn't most downloadable content (torrented fullhd movies in mkv container) going at only 25fps or something anyway ?

Anyhow if I would decide to play something less demanding on graphics like latest version of Civilization I wouldn't be able to play that @60hz without the artifacts then ?

*intel i7 4650u with Intel hd 5000
U-Processor
I am not sure what you mean by artifacts. To me artifacts are glitches in the graphics as if your overclock on the GPU or CPU is not stable. Your PC is capable of [email protected], regardless if it has the horse power to do it all the time at 60fps in all games.

In order to help/understand you better, are you planning to have the PC more as a media device to run movies to the AX800 or are you mainly wanting the PC connected to the TV for gaming?

For gaming, depending on the game, you would run the game at 3840x2160 and then use a program like FRAPS to monitor your frame rate. Some people don't mind gaming at 4k and 30fps, others are more sensitive to wanting the higher frame rate. I guess you need to answer the following:

1. What res do you ultimately want to play your games at?
2. What is an acceptable frame rate for your gaming? Is it 30 or 60fps?
3. Are you also want to stream movies and other video media to the set from the PC?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #439
ok.. you're right

*sigh*
Yeah, a single 970 has no chance of running 4k at a decent frame rate unless you turn a lot of things down. What some people don't realize is that the whole point of going 4k for gaming is to have much richer looking games with a extremely high level of image quality. When you have to turn down textures and some other things you are defeating the reason for using a 4k display. Certain things like you mentioned such as AA, Terrain density etc. will help and will not deter from the image quality at 4k and will help in frame rate.

For me, I usually turn off motion blue as I never was a fan of blur being added to games, this helps reduce the workload somewhat from the GPU. But right now, with the most power full GPU's available, you need a minimum of 2 GPU's in SLI or Crossfire (AMD) to really appreciate 4k gaming and even with that, you will have some game dropping to the 30's or so unless you turn down a lot of other things.

If you get a second 970, which you should being you have this screen, you will see a major improvement in your games, you should be able to run every game with most settings set to ultra, no aa of course or just a small amount with some decent frame rate. Yeah, you wont get 60fps solid in many games, but you will be able to find a sweet spot that will look amazing and play really good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey guys, first time poster here. I am strongly considering this AX800 to hook up to my gaming rig and there is a lot of really good information on this thread. It is nice to see a Forum thread stay on topic... mostly :)

I wanted to ask @Salacak, with that clouding issue you are having, Have you tried the "screen rub" technique that someone had mentioned earlier in this thread? They seemed to think that it helped improve the LCD panels uniformity a bit.

Also, on the screen being tilted backwards a bit which I am sure is due to Panny not wanting issues with it tipping forward. Has anyone tried shimming the bottom of the stand to bring the panel upright and then using the upped wall mount bolt holes to attach a tether to either the wall behind it or the stand that the TV is sitting on? I would think a simple 3 point harness would do. 2 points on the back of the tv using the upper wall mount holes, attach a thin cable and the anchor it to the wall or stand at one point.

Anyways, I have been waiting to hopefully see if a Best Buy Magnolia store would get this TV on the wall at some point. But may just have to take a leap of faith and go for it, especially if any Black Friday deals surface. Seems like a lot of TV for $2,000 especially since it is running a Main 10 chip, instead of a practically obsolete 8 bit solution.

421 - 440 of 1178 Posts