AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
i noticed seven darker horizontal bars... :(
65AX900
What are your settings? I've changed some of mine and now it is less visible. What I did:
* Mode: Cinema
* Local dimming: low
* Backlight level: 0 - 10
* Contrast: 90
* Brightness: 3-5
* Letterbox dimming: dimming

I do have to admit that my current TV is better than the previous one so results might vary. I also must admit that with "local dimming: medium" and "local dimming: maximum", the bars are more visible in more types of scenery. I really hope Panasonic can reduce these horizontal bars with a firmware update.

What are you going to do? Exchange it? Accept it? Did you received any comments from your retailer or Panasonic?

@eddysoft : Thanks for the update. Please keep us informed. I'm personally curious how you experienced the service and what your results are.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Okay, some other settings which, at least on my TV, reduces/minimizes the horizontal bars (top two are the most pronounced):
* Mode: Cinema
* Local dimming: medium (so improved blacks without making the horizontal bars more pronounced)
* Backlight level: 6
* Contrast: 90
* Brightness: 3
* Letterbox dimming: dimming
* Remaster dynamic range: off (was 'on' by default)

The above settings improved it for me. The result is the same or maybe a bit better than the previous settings but with increased black levels.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
@eddysoft : Thanks for the update. Please keep us informed. I'm personally curious how you experienced the service and what your results are.[/QUOTE]

This Friday (16-01-15) my screen gets replaced. Yes !

It better be a good one !!
- Fingers crossed X

·
Registered
99 Posts
@eddysoft : Thanks for the update. Please keep us informed. I'm personally curious how you experienced the service and what your results are.
This Friday (16-01-15) my screen gets replaced. Yes !

It better be a good one !!
- Fingers crossed X[/QUOTE]

Hey guys I had 4 Dell U3014 30" monitors in Portrait surround. They died and now I am on the search for an All in One Solution monitor vs 4 seperate ones.

Has anyone used this for a PC / Gaming / Spreadsheets / Stocks or FPS?

I really would prefer to have one large monitor PC Gaming but the best I can find are the new 4k 32" with 144hz and I really don't want 4 of those as that resolution would be insane. Already my 4 monitors give me 6400 x 2560. This looks like it would work. love to hear your input

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good news so far..

Unit is replaced, and the new unit looks great !

I will be testing it over the weekend..
If is notice something strange I will report it here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@eddysoft: how was your experience with the service company? Did they give you a 'hard time'? Were they knowledgeable?

Please let us know if you see any horizontal banding. I've the impress that it is gotten a bit worse on mine :(. You can test it with warm grey, cyan blue or light yellow surfaces. Especially in combination with vertical panning.

All in all I would not recommend the ax900/902. Colors are beautiful, contrast is 9/10 great and the screen is very uniform. However, for that price, the TV has too many issues or 'bad' design choices.

On the other side, I don't know if there is a real alternative.

·
Registered
159 Posts
@eddysoft : how was your experience with the service company? Did they give you a 'hard time'? Were they knowledgeable?

Please let us know if you see any horizontal banding. I've the impress that it is gotten a bit worse on mine :(. You can test it with warm grey, cyan blue or light yellow surfaces. Especially in combination with vertical panning.

All in all I would not recommend the ax900/902. Colors are beautiful, contrast is 9/10 great and the screen is very uniform. However, for that price, the TV has too many issues or 'bad' design choices.

On the other side, I don't know if there is a real alternative.
You can always wait for the cx850.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Meanwhile, this TV is already on sale here in New Zealand for only $5900 NZD (about $3800 USD before tax)...it's usually the other way around with us getting hit with release delays and 2-3 times higher MSRPs... Weird stuff...
I assume that is the 55" version...

·
Registered
246 Posts
I assume that is the 55" version...
No, the 65" version. USD has picked up in the last month compared to NZD, so now the price difference is not so staggering.

I have dismissed this TV anyway in the light of very likely superior Samsung's SUHD FALD coming in three months.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Panasonic show this set unavailable? Is it discontinued?

·
Rabid 3-D Aficionado
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Panasonic show this set unavailable? Is it discontinued?
No. It will not be sold on panasonic.com but is available only through Magnolia Design Centers as a special order.

·
AVS Forum Addicted Member
541 Posts
Which is crazy because it means that you won't even be able to see one in person before buying it. I talked with my magnolia design center yesterday and they told me (for what this is worth) that they are built to order. So they build it if you order it. Plus he said that Panasonic had mentioned nothing about the 85" at all yet and they cannot order them.

·
Registered
693 Posts
That will SERIOUSLY limit sales. What marketing genius decided that was the best route to take with their flagship TV?

·
Rabid 3-D Aficionado
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Arguably there are enough reasons to pass on this in favor of the CX850U given the experiences by some 65AX900 owners with corner light bleed through and visible lines apparently between dimming zones not to mention its high sticker price.

·
Rabid 3-D Aficionado
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
That will SERIOUSLY limit sales. What marketing genius decided that was the best route to take with their flagship TV?
The way I see it is Panasonic marketing mistakenly leaned too much on the side of general consumer sales and not niche buyers like studio mastering professionals where it really belongs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i know this is the owners thread, but the price on these has come down alot in canada,on the panasonic canada website, the price for the 65ax900 is now listed at $5,499.99 canadian...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Is anyone using this set for a PC monitor/gaming? I had intended to buy the 55" 55AX902B now it's on sale for £2000 but I was a bit taken aback when I saw the 90ms lag time. The competition is the EIZO ColorEdge CG318-4K which has a 9ms lag but has a contrast ratio of 1500:1 and costs £3,700 (and it's smaller) I never play online by the way.

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
After having a 65AX900E ( European model ) for one week i've decided to post some questions on the equipment, and if you owners may be kind enough to help sort out some of these questions that would be great :)

1 - Horizontal banding, noticeable on grey slides and on every vertical panning shot, either with light colors or with dark content ( always watching at night in a dark room )
2 - very very slight vertical stripe on the right side of the panel, barely visible, yet it's there ( vertical banding ?!? )
3 - On normal viewing distance, 2.5meters aprox, i can see the right upper corner with a "red" color when wathing movies with black bars, on the opposite corner i don't see the same effect. ( looks the same as on Marks's picture when testing the set, the left corner looks red tinted http://www.avsforum.com/forum/imagehosting/755309555282d3939ff1.jpg )
My set is not wall mounted, it stands on a table, i have the set at aprox eye level, so it's not too high that the vertical filter can cause this.
I can see the same red effect if i sit on the floor next to the TV and look up, the panel seems a bit red on the top, on normal viewing only the right upper corner appears that way.
4 - Got some specialized images to look at the Polarization filter of the TV and saw that the 3D filter may have a problem as the area free of crosstalk is really narrow, middle section of the TV in fact, that's about 10 to 15cm high , anything outside this area shows severe crosstalk. Am i too close to the TV? This improves if i get far away from the TV, and is PERFECT if i sit at 4 meters aprox
If anyone would like to test the 3D filter i can share the test images.
5 - Black bars tend to be grey with the Prof modes, there's always some light and some contamination from the image of the movies causing variations on the bars... in Custom they are way more stable with ABC at Medium
6 - Right bottom corner with a gap and a strange "object" ( some foam type ) between the frame and the screen, can see the LED's on the bottom and right side.
7 - I cannot get ARC to work with my Samsung HT-F9750W system, no matter what i try ... it just doesn't work

There's also really GOOD things about the set!!
Motion quality is very good for me as long as IFC is at Min
Colors are true to life and are beautifully rendered
Upscalling is very very good
Viewing angles are great ( despite the mentioned red tinge on the upper right corner )
The built quality is great
Contrast is really good and FALD works like a charm without being noticeable ( ABC at min or med )

Can you users please comment on screen uniformity of your sets? Clouding, light pooling or bleeding. And also screen uniformity on grey slides as i can see the horizontal banding on these and also the mentioned vertical stripe on the right side of the panel.
I wish you could post some thoughts about my issues described above :)

41 - 60 of 77 Posts