AVS Forum banner

461 - 480 of 17441 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
If you aren't going to play games on it then the ST60 is a fantastic TV. My only recommendation when it comes to the display lag would be set your AVR's audio delay to about 70 to 80 ms.Then at that point, it doesn't even matter because the picture quality is really good.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-vt65-series-discussion-thread/450#post_23252002

I saw some questions where asked, here is the answer: Chad's wife has our review TC-P60VT60 at this minute, as noted. Chad is on a calibration tour during the break in time, he will be home to his new girl ( VT60 ) soon enough. With this said, I do not have a VT60 in front of me. I am on a working vacation
( Yes, I new this would happen, no such thing as a vacation now-a-days. )

Yeah I have Chad coming here on the 9th to Jersey to calibrate my LHX, can't wait!
I am keeping an eye on all the reviews and the shootout to determine what my 2nd set will be down the road.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Is it worth it to upgrade from a VT50 to a VT60? Has anyone here done that yet?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-vt65-series-discussion-thread/420#post_23250913

Review teaser...

In a big change from my past reviews, I'm going to have more in depth coverage of the apps, smart features, and ergonomics from my wife's point of view (she's more into those things than I am), as well as audio quality. I'm also planning to spend a lot of time watching hockey and

I'm planning to publish info on how the measurements change with different wondow styles and sizes, including APL, full screen, etc.

Good news is I'll have a face off, bad news is it won't be against the F8500. My personal GT50 is going to have to do. We know in advance who's going to win, but there should be much of interest in the details.

Let me know any reasonable special requests.

I would like to know how it compares to the VT50.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by znutz  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-vt65-series-discussion-thread/330#post_23239213

I can help you
I ran slides on mine for a bit via a USB stick. Mine was formatted in FAT. To get to the content on the TV use the regular remote. In the bottom right hand corner of the remote there is a button labeled "SD/USB." Press that and viola.

Let us know what you think of the VT60 once you have a chance to play your media. Also, its pretty sweet your local BB lets you get down and dirty with the TVs. I have to pull teeth at mine just to get a remote.
What format were your movies in?

TIA

·
Registered
280 Posts
I pulled the trigger on the VT60 today. I was going in to buy the F8000 (46inch) but the damn thing was juddering like crazy in the store. Granted that would get cleaned up with a better connection at home but Jesus. I was blown away. I've always had Samsung LCD panels and couldn't believe how bad the lag was on the 240hz f8000.

I checked out the VT60 and thought it looked amazing. I should be receiving the set this Thursday from Best Buy.

Being my first Plasma is there anything I should look out for or be aware of?

I went with the 55 inch and I'm sitting an average of 6ft away, Will I be too close?? I'm currently rocking a 42inch LCD and Its hard to imagine it won't be too big (my gf keeps saying it will be) but being America I have that bigger is better mentality. Any thoughts if the viewing distance is too close for the 55VT60?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I upgraded from a 50G10 today to a 60VT60. Best Buy had ONE in stock. Got a 2 year protection plan (for any potential IR issues mainly). Was surprised that the giganto box actually fit into my hatchback.

First thing I put in was Wings Of Life. Wow. Just wow.

So much wow happening right now.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I read somewhere the Panasonic plasmas were good up to 9100 feet. So if im at 6000 (rounding up) I should have no issues with buzzing, resolution etc correct? Having never owned a plasma I don't know.

·
Registered
Sony A8H,Comcast,oppo103,UB820
472 Posts
9100feet?

·
Registered
Sony A8H,Comcast,oppo103,UB820
472 Posts
65vt50 i sit 10 feet .but from what i read i should move forward to 6 feet .5 for 1080i or p content any thoughts?

·
Registered
113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniswrly  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-vt65-series-discussion-thread/480#post_23254293

65vt50 i sit 10 feet .but from what i read i should move forward to 6 feet .5 for 1080i or p content any thoughts?

I always thought that with 65" you should be at least 10ft back.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B  /t/1467563/official-panasonic-vt60-vt65-series-discussion-thread/420#post_23250913

Review teaser...

In a big change from my past reviews, I'm going to have more in depth coverage of the apps, smart features, and ergonomics from my wife's point of view (she's more into those things than I am), as well as audio quality. I'm also planning to spend a lot of time watching hockey and other sports.

I'm planning to publish info on how the measurements change with different wondow styles and sizes, including APL, full screen, etc.

Good news is I'll have a face off, bad news is it won't be against the F8500. My personal GT50 is going to have to do. We know in advance who's going to win, but there should be much of interest in the details.

Let me know any reasonable special requests.

I'd like to know about motion handling differences, if any, as well as observations about contouring, posterization, banding and dithering with different sources. Also, if you have Collateral on blu-ray can you check out the train/subway scene near the end, when they're in the dark? I'd like to know if it looks the same on both sets. TIA

·
Registered
303 Posts
I do not know whether I'm the only one who misses the GT60 but I could positively wring the neck of someone at Panasonic for eliminating that model from the US 2013 lineup of Panny plasmas. That said, is it a foregone conclusion that the st60 beats the GT50 and the VT50 in 2d and 3d pq? Even David Katzmaier who seems to love the st60 to death, does not rate its 3d performance that high...Not that 3d is terribly important--I only watch a rather small number of 3d titles per year, as opposed to 2d... Still: if I'm going to have to pony up the dough for a solid plasma like any of these new panasonics, then it has got to have relatively flawless 3d... My wishlist for Chad would be a comparison of 2d/3d pq performance the st60, not only to the VT60, but also to the Vt50 and Gt50... That would make my day... Thanks in advance...

Oh, and the idea of wringing someone's neck at panasonic for eliminating the GT60 from the 2013 US lineup was only a joke, although I'm still kind of p**sed at them for doing that.

·
Registered
173 Posts
VT60 Vs. F8500

First off I'd like to offer a huge shout-out to the fine guys over at the BB Magnolia next to Roosevelt Field on Long Island. They had these two sets side by side on stands making a direct A/B comparison possible. They were able to synch up The Avengers on DVD so that both sets were playing this with only a 1" -2" second difference between what the two sets were displaying. Actually, that 1" -2" second difference was quite helpful in allowing an assessment of what was playing on one before looking at the other.

First off, the F8500 had somewhat more pure whites than the VT60. That said, neither had anything like the eye searing whites and "pop" of the LED/LCD sets on the adjacent wall so if that is what you're after you're going to need to pass on both of these sets and opt, instead, for an LED/LCD. So the F8500 had more initial visual impact. My wife commented on this initially. After watching for a minute or two the strengths of the VT60 began to emerge. In fact, the longer you watched, the more apparent it was that the VT60 won convincingly in a number of categories. These included coror saturation and "depth" (hard to describe this but the closest I can come is that the VT had more of a 3D effect even while displaying 2D material). It also simply blew away the F8500 in resolution of detail in dark scenes. Skin tones where more accurate on the VT and blacks definitely appeared 'blacker.' Neither set was using "torch mode" (i.e. (Vivid/Dynamic), so any artificial exaggerations that might have been introduced by these were not a factor. Needless to say, neither were professionally calibrated so we were looking at out-of-the-box settings. I was rather surprised to find that red resolution was about a draw with both sets doing a superb jod here. In view of the much ballyhooed new phosphor that Panny is using I had rather expected that this would be one area in which the VT would bury the F8500. This was not the case. Surprisingly it was in the blues that the VT excelled and completely dominated the F8500. Who whoudda figured?

Anyway, I'm happy to report that my seemingly endless obsession deciding between these two sets has now come to a close and I'm going with the VT. A couple of other factors entered into my ultimate decision. These were that I adore the stand that the VT uses and detest the overly wide stand of the F8500; the VT provides two remotes for their set -- one of which is the cute little touch pad thing, the other of which is a more traditional remote that will allow far easier access to the unit's many feature far more easily...the F8500 only offers the (admittedly very sleek and sexy) touch pad remote; the sound system of the VT is almost certain to beat the built-in speakers of the F8500...having owned the F8500 for about a week I can say that the built-in speakers of that unit were, at best, mediocre; finally I am a bit concerned over quality control issues with Samsung and I believe that over the long haul, the VT will prove to be more reliable -- I know that even the finest product can occassionally produce a lemon but I want to keep the odds on my side.

So if you are a casual shopper (thankfully, not many of us here fall into that category) be careful and spend some quality time with both sets before you decide which way to go. First impressions can be deceiving!

461 - 480 of 17441 Posts