AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 479 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I posted about my quick observations about vsx lx301 which is elite version of 1131, and onkyos influence is really all over. This years models use akm 32bit DACs just like last years onkyo 646 and up did. Also, dts x is on board, which was omitted from vsx90 and 1130k. I think onkyos take over so far has been a positive things for pioneer. Everyone cried about onkyos take over and predicted doom and gloom for pioneer from here on out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I agree that the merger has been positive overall. Especially if you like the class d amps.
Onkyo will now have pioneer amps in their upper models too.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The question is, if they're beginning to share the same streaming services, multi-room solution, amplification tech and (rumour has it) the same room EQ (MCAAC)...
What will demark a difference beside the GUI and front panel design?
Denon and Marantz have struggled at times, will the lack of 'flavour' disappear?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have been eagerly waiting for the release of the Pioneer VSX-1131.

I will order one as soon as I digest the owners manual.

From every thing that I've seen so far it's an incredible value.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
the question will be if they fixed the 'weirdness' that came with the 1130...

I'd recommend before buying, see how it handles switching formats. with the 1130, it could be set up so that switching between stereo and 5.1/7.1 worked ok, but if you also wanted atmos, there was no setting that handled all three 'well'. even just going from 5.1/7.1 to atmos was a bit annoying if the 5.1/7.1 was Dolby(it would TRY to upconvert to atmos, but fail miserably, omitting the back channels completely). I worry that the addition of DTS:X may make this worse, not better, but hopefully not. that really is the only 'complaint' I have with my 1130. I have to push 3 buttons if I want to watch an atmos movie.

I've been a fan of pioneer for years, I think they deliver the best bang for the buck for anybody not living in a sound isolated booth with golden ears. just the right amount of quality and features without going overboard.

but the 1130 felt rushed to me. many quirks that I never noticed with my older pioneer.

there was also reports of issues with the black level on hdmi inputs. I never experienced this, but the complaints seemed too common to write off as user confusion.

still wish they'd come up with a non-elite version of the 9ch receivers. I really don't see the point in atmos with 5.1.2, it's just not quite there. reminds me of '4ch surround sound'. you knew what it was trying to do, but it was so obvious that something was missing. or at the very least the extra pre-outs so you can add the additional channels

·
Registered
2 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but is it correct that the 1131 can switch between 7.2 and 5.2.2 depending on the signal sent from the source? Is there anything I'd have to do manually, or will it switch appropriately?

Also, can you run the zone 2 preout to an external amp to theoretically run 7.2.2, or is it strictly limited to zone 2?

I'm looking forward to getting this next week, and I'm preplanning my possibke next purchases!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but is it correct that the 1131 can switch between 7.2 and 5.2.2 depending on the signal sent from the source? Is there anything I'd have to do manually, or will it switch appropriately?

Also, can you run the zone 2 preout to an external amp to theoretically run 7.2.2, or is it strictly limited to zone 2?

I'm looking forward to getting this next week, and I'm preplanning my possibke next purchases!
Got the receiver last night. So fsr so good. To answer myself here:

1. The receiver has enough posts on it to set up as 7.2.2. Obviously, you can only use 7 channels at a time, but there is a quick change menu button on the remote that brings up a small menu overlayed onto the screen. There is an option there to switch the speakers between height and surround back. In mcacc, you can specify if the height channels are top front, top middle, etc.

2. The zone 2 "preout" is actually just a line out, so no using an external amp to run the additional channels. I misread the inputs originally, my bad.

Overall, i like it so far. Haven't taken it for a proper spin yet, since the baby is acting up today. Already noticing a huge improvement from my old Sony STR DE698.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How to get "Zone 2" speakers to work?!?

I've had this unit for 4 days now, and have YET to get it to send any output to the speakers attached to the last 4 terminals.

The God-awful "zone 2" operations were apparently "really shiny & neat-o" to the engineering team who dreamed them up, but . . . .

I can get line out (aka pre-out zone 2) to work consistently whether or not I select PreAmp or powered-by-main amp.

Regardless of options selected, the "B speakers" output I want to play outside around the pool consistently come out the REAR 7.1 speakers inside my primary theater room.

Please help, as I face the really ugly option of having to return this (otherwise really fine) system, in order to maintain domestic tranquility . . .

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
I've had this unit for 4 days now, and have YET to get it to send any output to the speakers attached to the last 4 terminals.

The God-awful "zone 2" operations were apparently "really shiny & neat-o" to the engineering team who dreamed them up, but . . . .

I can get line out (aka pre-out zone 2) to work consistently whether or not I select PreAmp or powered-by-main amp.

Regardless of options selected, the "B speakers" output I want to play outside around the pool consistently come out the REAR 7.1 speakers inside my primary theater room.

Please help, as I face the really ugly option of having to return this (otherwise really fine) system, in order to maintain domestic tranquility . . .
Did you do the setup in which you tell it that you are using the amp to power zone 2? I only use the pre outs for zone 2 and i haven't setup my atmos speakers yet.

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Setup options & history

Did you do the setup in which you tell it that you are using the amp to power zone 2? I only use the pre outs for zone 2 and i haven't setup my atmos speakers yet.

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk
I have swapped between "powered by amp" and "pre-amp out to external amp" more times than I can count, with no change. The line out connecting to the powered speakers in my office always works, regardless of option selected. This is consistent with the "zone 2" output coming only from the rear 7.1 speakers rather than the real (last 2 pairs of speaker posts) connected to the outside speakers, per the guide, as if the OSD settings are having no real effect on the actual system operations.

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
I have swapped between "powered by amp" and "pre-amp out to external amp" more times than I can count, with no change. The line out connecting to the powered speakers in my office always works, regardless of option selected. This is consistent with the "zone 2" output coming only from the rear 7.1 speakers rather than the real (last 2 pairs of speaker posts) connected to the outside speakers, per the guide, as if the OSD settings are having no real effect on the actual system operations.
What are you using to play music from? You have it connected to the Surround Back posts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I FINALLY figured this out.

The rocket scientists who invented "Zone 2" and visually placed the optional "B Speakers" as additional front speakers have apparently never used "B Speakers" as they have been designed and used for the past 40 years across all brands, IE, in ANOTHER ROOM.

This also explains the complete absence of any control either on the unit or the remote for switching between A, B or both pairs of speakers.

As I DO use the rear speakers in my 7.1 theater, this pair CANNOT be used for "Zone 2" ( which would reduce the main room to 5.1).

It wasn't until I re-examined the "Zone 2" label BELOW the speaker post sketch on page 27 that I realized the difference between "Zone 2" and "B speakers"; Note that there are NO descriptions on this page for the last 4 pairs of speaker posts.

Once I finally enabled the "additional front B speakers" in the on-screen GUI, the speakers outside on the patio finally play. Fortunately, I already had a separate external switch for this circuit (Outside / Off / Bedroom) as well as an external volume control to drop the volume to the front mains when I increase the volume to power the long runs to the outdoor speakers.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm looking to replace my broken 1120K, considering the 1131. A couple of quick questions:
1) Can anyone comment on the difference between the 1131 and the Pioneer VSXLX101? MSRP on the latter is $100 cheaper, in spite of it being part of the "Elite" line.
2) Does Pioneer have on-screen display for the volume now? My 1120 doesn't, and it's probably my biggest complaint.

I posted this in the other thread, but I'd love suggestions for a receiver in the $400-$600 range--the 1131 and the LX101 are both options, but the reviews on the LX101 indicate that the sound isn't the best...

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
I'm looking to replace my broken 1120K, considering the 1131. A couple of quick questions:
1) Can anyone comment on the difference between the 1131 and the Pioneer VSXLX101? MSRP on the latter is $100 cheaper, in spite of it being part of the "Elite" line.
2) Does Pioneer have on-screen display for the volume now? My 1120 doesn't, and it's probably my biggest complaint.

I posted this in the other thread, but I'd love suggestions for a receiver in the $400-$600 range--the 1131 and the LX101 are both options, but the reviews on the LX101 indicate that the sound isn't the best...
The LX101 has less power and only one HDMI out. Yes the 1131 has an on-screen display.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The LX101 has less power and only one HDMI out. Yes the 1131 has an on-screen display.
Thanks. Other than power, any reason to expect a difference in sound between the two units? Pioneer confuses me with its low-end Elites having less features than the high-end of the VSX line.

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Thanks. Other than power, any reason to expect a difference in sound between the two units? Pioneer confuses me with its low-end Elites having less features than the high-end of the VSX line.
Not sure.... I'd have to side by side the specs but you can easily do that also.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
543 Posts
Not sure.... I'd have to side by side the specs but you can easily do that also.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Yeah there's nothing to indicate the sound would be any different, just a little put off by the comments about the Elite's poor sound in the reviews. I don't need a ton of power for my setup (running in a fairly small space), so am more concerned with clarity.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Got this unit set up about a week ago and did the microphone calibration. All sounds great.

Question is how to I "upscale" normal Dolby True HD or DTS Master audio to the faux Dolby Atmos? I thought it would be able to process any track to engage the height speakers even if it is not a true Atmos track.

1 - 20 of 479 Posts