AVS Forum banner

241 - 260 of 504 Posts

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Unless the SC-72 offers you something you think you might need over the 65 I would just enjoy it tech is changing and there is no future proof ,wireless standards have not been set for the new 802.11 ac which is just now appearing HDMI changes it seems like every two years and 4K is still testing the waters along with H-265 so long story short get what you need thats currently available or you will be forever waiting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks oztech. Do you happen to know what hdmi version the sc65 is?

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
^^

HDMI 1.4 just like other 2012 & 2013 Pioneer SC models. The SC-65 couldn't do full 1080p 3D, 4K pass-thru or have the Audio Return Channel feature without 1.4. they weren't supported with 1.3b.

HDMI 2.0 hasn't come out yet. The spec hasn't even been ratified yet AFAIK. so it certainly won't make it into 2013 models. Does this help?

1.4 will handle Ultra HD (4K) at 24 & 30 frames per second. There are no 4K TV displays or projectors that can support 60 frames per second yet and ALL of the ones hitting the market this year use HDMI 1.4. It won't be until 2.0 becomes incorporated that 1) 60 fps can be transmitted or 2) more than 8 bit color depth is supported. To do both 60 Hz & 10/12 bit color, it takes 4 HDMI 1.4 connections. Finally, the current Blu-ray disc spec doesn't even handle 4K so the only 4K source material will be specialized media servers, leased or bought, or a new hard drive based player to come out called Red Ray.

So relax, you aren't missing anything. by the time HDMI 2.0 is used, all the gear will be "obsoleted". there will also be new TV's, new BD players (and there's no guarantee there'll even be a 4K Blu-ray format) as well as new receivers with the connection.

The new SC models also use HDMI 1.4 so no difference at all except last year's model is 3D pass-thru so a 4K TV will do the upscaling to 4K and the new receiver models will have 4K upscaling built-in. no big deal. Many will argue that it's better to do all the processing in the TV or player anyway
if you are that concerned, the new Oppo players have the latest Qdeo chip which does 4K upscaling, the same as the new Pioneer receivers - problem solved.

the 2.0 connection will be backwards compatible to 1.4 anyway, just like 1.4 is to 1.3 & earlier. let's say you got a 4K TV next yr with HDMI 2.0 and let's also say Blu-ray comes out with a true 4K format, which may not ever happen. get a 4K BD player with 2.0 & dual outputs...plug 1 directly into the TV for video, plug the other into the Pioneer 65 for audio. problem solved.

If you don't want or will use some of the features in a 72, then the 65 should be just fine. digital technology & connections change too fast to be waiting for the dust to settle on the next "new thing".

you can't even do 5 yr future-proofing anymore. we all are learning that lesson

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone tried the Roomie remote app (IOS only) with the Pioneer 1527/SC-65? The Pioneer app works well but it only controls the receiver. Roomie can control other IP-connected devices also and even IR devices if you get the $90 IP2IR bridge.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks 9001 for the detailed response.

Although i was happy with my old receiver i was running into issues with 3d using my lg-tv using and ps3;had new hdmi cables.TV was not recognizing the 3d, it stated device was did not support 3d. I also had issues with same receiver on samsung-tv/ps3, using new hdmi cables.I could only get 1020i unless using older hdmi cables; then it would get 1080p.. All devices were a couple years old and had newest updates. Receiver documentation stated it only supported hdmi 1.2.

Just trying to avoid spending a $1000 every couple of years on a reviver just to play movies. Need to save up for a projector to complete home theatre.

While on the topic of hdmi, i was told new equipment no longer relied on hardware to be compliant with new hdmi standards, that vendors had figured out a way to work around this. And that it all had to do with upgrading the cables. sounded a little far fetched to me, is that true?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey everyone. Bought this receiver a few months back with a new speaker set up, and have been very pleased. I have however ran into a snag. I just purchased a Panasonic TC50PS64 TV. I do not use a cable box since most of the stuff I watch is on basic cable. I am trying to use the co-ax running into the tv then I have tried everything I can think of to get the sound onto my receiver. I used an optic cable first being from the old days, and not knowing about arc. Well no sound except from the tv. I then started digging. I found out about arc. I tried hooking from HDMI 2 to the receiver, and nothing. So then I thought ok maybe I need to go from hdmi 2 to an in on the receiver. Still nothing. I am confused or missing something about this tv or this receiver. I know this can be done because I have been doing it on other TV's with out issue. Any help would be awesome.

edit: I almost forgot. I did turn on ARC on the receiver.

edit 2: Oh yeah has anyone else had an issue with the pioneer remote control app on android saying the 1522 is not compatible even though it finds the receiver?

edit 3: Ok got the app working. I also found how to set tv to home theater instead of tv speakers. Still no sound with optic cable or ARC.

edit4: OK update... I finally have the catv working with sound. I went through 300 steps to find out I had two cables backwards. Needed the newer cable running to my tv that I had hooked to the PS3 (Derp). Fixed the Netflix with a factory restore.

Next up to make sure I have sound with Netflix. I have heard its hit or miss here for these tvs.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has this problem.

I would use airplay to send music from Itunes to the SC65. first song would play however the moment the second song started, there is no sound even though the song's id, album art still displayed on the tv screen.

anyone has a solution? btw this happened after I upgraded to the newest firmware from pioneer's site.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Has anyone used the SC-65 in a "Pre-Amp" configuration?

I am looking to pair my SC-65 with a Wyred4Sound MMC-7 (7 channel dedicated amp. - 220 wpc) for both music and HT in a 7.1 setup.

The Wyred4Sound amplifier is also a "Class D" amp. And, if I run all the speaker connections through the amp. - - I assume the electrical draw on the Pioneer SC65 will be minimal?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello Al,

Hooked up a BBE FJB-200 Pre-Amp. Getting alot of hum. I have a ground on the Pre-Amp but where on the SC-65 should i connect it. Thanks in advance Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi All,

When I use ANALOG DIRECT mode, the "OVER" light frequently flashes. I have read the manual on this, and it was not very helpful. Could someone please explain what causes this?

I have the following set up with my SC-65, which I hope will help find the correct answer. I have a 9.2 speaker system (Aperion Brand) hooked up. For my front 3 speakers - FL/FC/FR, I have them connected to Emotiva monoblock amps, which are in turn connected to the pre-amp connection in the SC-65. I use the ANALOG DIRECT setting to listen to 2.0 channel music. My player is an Oppo 105, which is connected to the CD connections on my SC-65 via RCA connectors.

Ultimately, I would like to understand what the "OVER" signal means, if the SC-65 attenuates the analog signal because of this, and whether that will affect the analog signla/sound quality.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
^^

it means exactly what it says, that the input signal level is momentary peaks are too high to the preamp section, overdriving the preamp opamps, probably resulting in some clipping distortion. consider it a clipping indicator
technically it means the output voltage from the Oppo is peaking higher than what the analog preamp inputs are rated to handle. while it probably won't damage the opamps,

if it's happening more than occasionally, then you should turn the output level from the Oppo down a tad, using its digital volume control. otherwise, you will have some level of distortion, whether audible or not.

IF you weren't in Pure Direct mode, you could use Analog Attenuate setting in the Audio Parameters menu, pg 71 in your manual. this will reduce the peaks to "safe, distortion-less" levels. it is NOT turned on by default so you have to manually turn it on, plus it doesn't work on Pure Analog Direct. You'd have to be in Direct or Auto Surround. and it doesn't work on the digital inputs. if you only see the Over indicator only on rare occasions, it might be OK as is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ey

I just purchased the Pioneer SC65 and I am having turning it on. I currently have Advanced MCACC flashing with no picture on my monitor or sound from my speakers. I know it is something simple, but I'm too simple to figure it out. Can anyone help.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
^ randy, this is not needed with the class D3 amps. Pioneer already rates the SC-65/67/68 for 4, 8 & 16 ohm impedances so impedance related current limiting is not required for 4 ohm speakers and in fact there isn't a switch or menu setting for it
several older Ice amp models did have an impedance switch that you could use if you wanted (also needed necessary but there anyway). but dropped when the changed amp designs.

check pg 22 in the SC-65 manual and you'll see this statement:

"This unit supports speakers with a nominal impedance of 4 ohms to 16 ohms."

hope this helps you

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Thats the beauty of D3 amps they will play well with low impedance where as a class AB needs a 8 to 4 selector and when put on 4 limits the rail voltage to keep from damaging the amp.

·
Registered
941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001  /t/1448081/official-pioneer-elite-sc-65-sc-1527-k-owners-thread/240#post_23701709

^ randy, this is not needed with the class D3 amps. Pioneer already rates the SC-65/67/68 for 4, 8 & 16 ohm impedances so impedance related current limiting is not required for 4 ohm speakers and in fact there isn't a switch or menu setting for it
several older Ice amp models did have an impedance switch that you could use if you wanted (also needed necessary but there anyway). but dropped when the changed amp designs.

check pg 22 in the SC-65 manual and you'll see this statement:

"This unit supports speakers with a nominal impedance of 4 ohms to 16 ohms."

hope this helps you

Thanks SS , ...just got it today and will probably have more questions !!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everyone.!

Hope someone could help me with a little problem about this Wonderful Pioneer Elite AV receiver... I love more than my Denon

The problem is the MEDIA SERVER access to the Root of any computer put me a "Please Wait...." after 20 minutes ..

Oddly I can store and play any song stored in the Favorites Media Server... after the 20 minutes..

I try almost everything to get access "All time to the Root of MEDIA SERVER"

- Reset my Modem

- Reset to factory setting Receiver

- Unplug the power cord for more than 2 minutes

- Switch to other Input and return to MEDIA Server, but again the root access give the "Please Wait " endlessly

I have to put the receiver to Standby (poweroff) it, to access to root again... but after 20 minutes the problem persit, oddly - if I stay inside the Server carpets or files I can navigate in the files

I can access to Internet radio without any problems all times..

Please Help me I'm deseperado..... Thank you for your kind Help..!!

Sincerely

241 - 260 of 504 Posts