AVS Forum banner

341 - 360 of 504 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bit the bullet and performed the the factory reset. The good news is that worked. There was a bit of a scare becuase resetting turns the volume all the way down, but HDMI audio has been restored.

The bad news is all the settings are lost. I wish the iOS app, or even the web interface could be used to enter data into the unit, but no go. It's just a long slog with the remote.

That, and waiting for 20 min of silence in my house so I can re-calibrate the MAACC. No knowing when I'll get that.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have my PS3 connected to my SC-65 via HDMI and my SC-65 connected to my Panasonic VT-60 via HDMI. With the receiver off I am having no problem getting video to my tv, but I cannot get the sound to pass. I have checked all the settings on the recieved, PS3 and tv and I don't see an issue. The PS3 is set to pass both dolby digital and 2 channel stereo. The tv is set to tv volume instead of home theatre volume (in fact, when you turn off the reciever the tv automatically switches to tv volume). But no matter what I do I cannot get the volume from the tv. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Hmm

not sure why you would think that

saying "no one" is pretty definitive

I know I've been using Full Auto MCACC since the early 2000's. that gives you all 3 presets (Symm, AChAdj, FA), phase control & standing wave filter. why would one not?

this last receiver, I just did Symmetry to get started & check my setup but I went back & did the full monty the same weekend.

I suspect far more "experienced" enthusiasts do the whole Full than not. some may followup with some tweaking. maybe brand new Pioneer owners do the one and call it a day? dunno.

I know I never did...

·
Registered
941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001  /t/1448081/official-pioneer-elite-sc-65-sc-1527-k-owners-thread/330#post_24432122

Hmm

not sure why you would think that

saying "no one" is pretty definitive

I know I've been using Full Auto MCACC since the early 2000's. that gives you all 3 presets (Symm, AChAdj, FA), phase control & standing wave filter. why would one not?

this last receiver, I just did Symmetry to get started & check my setup but I went back & did the full monty the same weekend.

I suspect far more "experienced" enthusiasts do the whole Full than not. some may followup with some tweaking. maybe brand new Pioneer owners do the one and call it a day? dunno.

I know I never did...

I meant to post this over at the MCACC thread , that is where most seem to use Auto,... then change to Small,and Crossover setting to 80hz,....then rerun with the "Keep SP settings"

Do you know why MCACC ,also from what i've read and experienced myself with small Kef Egg Speakers, seems to set speakers as "Large".

·
Registered
9,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1  /t/1448081/official-pioneer-elite-sc-65-sc-1527-k-owners-thread/300_100#post_24432660

I meant to post this over at the MCACC thread , that is where most seem to use Auto,... then change to Small,and Crossover setting to 80hz,....then rerun with the "Keep SP settings"

Do you know why MCACC ,also from what i've read and experienced myself with small Kef Egg Speakers, seems to set speakers as "Large".

1. I've never done it that way. I don't see the point of the extra steps involved. I do know some do. either way works. but I'd rather let the receiver do the whole calibration. everyone can then go back into the normal speaker settings and change the crossover anytime they want. that doesn't require using "Keep SP Settings" step. you can just change it and exit

2. the Pioneer sends test tones. since the lowest on its EQ band is 63 Hz (also the lowest available for standing wave filter), I'm assuming it's going to use 63 Hz tone to determine if the bass at that freq is being reproduced within given limits. if it is, it sets to Large but if not, then sets to Small. I honestly don't know which freq is used, just taking an educated guess since 63 is the lowest available. also, for Small speakers, 63 Hz is dropped in the EQ'r and the lowest becomes 125 Hz. even if it's using

for example, my fronts are capable of mid-30 Hz and I've measured them as such but that is still short of what can be in an LFE track.

I don't know what your KEF's are spec'd at or actually doing in your room. you may be getting bass reinforcement (room gain) from placement, or from a peak where your mic is located in the room. maybe it's sitting in a location where the 60+ Hz freq's are peaks from standing waves so MCACC is reading the reinforced bass and sets the speakers accordingly. the system doesn't know the speaker design, only what it's measuring in the room. and there are very important factors that determine bass response in a room, not just the speaker's theoretical design capability - room dimensions (bass modes: nulls & peaks), if you sit in a null or a peak for given freqs, room gain from how close speakers are to walls, floor, etc.

none of these systems is perfect, even Audyssey gets tripped up sometimes.

·
Registered
941 Posts
^ I have since changed my front speakers to some that can handle to mid 30 hz also , but like you mentioned SUBWOOFERS can go much lower , and would never want to send Subsonic freq to mains !!

"

Does this mean that someone who just uses the Full Auto MCACC," and is done with it ,... is sending ultra low freq to his mains that could be small monitors ??

·
Registered
9,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1  /t/1448081/official-pioneer-elite-sc-65-sc-1527-k-owners-thread/300_100#post_24432794

Does this mean that someone who just uses the Full Auto MCACC," and is done with it ,... is sending ultra low freq to his mains that could be small monitors ??

could be, if he left them set to Large or if Small, depending on the crossover used. they wouldn't reproduce it but would waste a lot of amp power and % THD distortion would increase trying to.

but this is no different than doing the Symmetry-only MCACC by itself with no phase control, reverb measurement time, or standing wave filters. you still would have to go back to manually change any auto-setting of Large to Small. one way or another, the owner has to make that call to use Large or Small regardless of which MCACC method is used.

none of this is plug & play. despite what we may think it 6should be. you have to use some basic knowledge of the speakers you own in evaluating settings set by the system.

but would it do any harm? probably not. if the power demand starts increasing past clipping, at some pt the amps' protection circuit would kick in. most likely just not get the optimum results, missing some of the freq's in a particular aggressive LFE track & higher distortion trying to reproduce it.

of course, if someone left typical small satellites at Large, that might be a problem but I doubt MCACC would detect it as bass capable. it's not that quirky. it has always, always, always correctly set my 80Hz capable surrounds & center to Small and rear bookshelves as Small, even though those bookshelves have 50ish Hz capability.

maybe I'm lucky but I've never experienced measurement anomalies like grossly incorrect Small vs Large, out of phase error messages, or poor crossover choice. I've owned 4 top model Pioneer Elites. and this is with planar Magnepan's which are dipolar panels, fronts/surrounds/center. no trip ups. but I also take great care in positioning the mic, aim it correctly, get out of the room when doing measurements. I also have done some room treatment with bass traps in corners, 1st reflection points treated with wall panels, & diffusers placed over a window. my room is rectangular, with good proportions acoustically.

I suspect many new owners are setting up a typical TV/sound system in a living-family room and may not be doing these things, especially if they don't read forums like AVS where we all learn things from each other

·
Registered
9,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1  /t/1448081/official-pioneer-elite-sc-65-sc-1527-k-owners-thread/300_100#post_24432794

would never want to send Subsonic freq to mains !!

agreed. just cause more THD & waste power.

·
Registered
941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001  /t/1448081/official-pioneer-elite-sc-65-sc-1527-k-owners-thread/330#post_24432918

Quote:

could be, if he left them set to Large or if Small, depending on the crossover used. they wouldn't reproduce it but would waste a lot of amp power and % THD distortion would increase trying to.

but this is no different than doing the Symmetry-only MCACC by itself with no phase control, reverb measurement time, or standing wave filters. you still would have to go back to manually change any auto-setting of Large to Small. one way or another, the owner has to make that call to use Large or Small regardless of which MCACC method is used.

none of this is plug & play. despite what we may think it 6should be. you have to use some basic knowledge of the speakers you own in evaluating settings set by the system.

but would it do any harm? probably not. if the power demand starts increasing past clipping, at some pt the amps' protection circuit would kick in. most likely just not get the optimum results, missing some of the freq's in a particular aggressive LFE track & higher distortion trying to reproduce it.

of course, if someone left typical small satellites at Large, that might be a problem but I doubt MCACC would detect it as bass capable. it's not that quirky. it has always, always, always correctly set my 80Hz capable surrounds & center to Small and rear bookshelves as Small, even though those bookshelves have 50ish Hz capability.

maybe I'm lucky but I've never experienced measurement anomalies like grossly incorrect Small vs Large, out of phase error messages, or poor crossover choice. I've owned 4 top model Pioneer Elites. and this is with planar Magnepan's which are dipolar panels, fronts/surrounds/center. no trip ups. but I also take great care in positioning the mic, aim it correctly, get out of the room when doing measurements. I also have done some room treatment with bass traps in corners, 1st reflection points treated with wall panels, & diffusers placed over a window. my room is rectangular, with good proportions acoustically.

I suspect many new owners are setting up a typical TV/sound system in a living-family room and may not be doing these things, especially if they don't read forums like AVS where we all learn things from each other

Ok thanks SS, when taking measurements of left or right main alone,.. and then with Sub(s) do you use Direct or Pure Direct or both ??

·
Registered
189 Posts
I need help.

Last night a bought an Open Box SC-65 at Best Buy (for under $400.)

Got it home, hooked up my speakers, ran MCAAC and the speakers are essentially silent.

At "0" in a quiet room the speakers do not produce a loud enough sound to hear 5 feet away.

Increasing the volume to +12 has them sound like a very very quiet whisper. Much to quiet at full volume to understand dialog.

MCAAC will not complete because it doesn't detect any sounds.

I have another receiver and I can verify the speakers/wires are in perfect working order.

I performed a factory reset on the SC-65 and tried again with no luck. I ensured that zones 2 and 3 are off, that speakers are 10 feet a part in the distance setting, made sure MUTE was no on/etc.

Could there be an easy trick to getting this thing to produce volume?

Or is this just a dud? I'd really like it to work.

EDIT: All video sources work, and switching between inputs works as expected.. I have HDMI, component hooked up. The component video source is using the Toslink optical in for sound. Very little sound can be head on any of them even at full volume level.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121  /t/1448081/official-pioneer-elite-sc-65-sc-1527-k-owners-thread/330#post_24453713

What is your other receiver and what are your speakers?
I have Paradigm 60s V3 L-R, 370-CC C, 20s SL-SR and a subwoofer.

I have a Pioneer SC-1523-K (the SC-75 equivalent) that I used to test.

It's not my speakers, they're run of the mill normal speakers. No crazy 2 Ohm load or anything like that.

It's the receiver, just trying to figure out if there's some switch or setting that's causing it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Just a little question , ..after the Auto Mcacc is set to M1 lets say, then if you reajust something in Manual Mcacc like levels , or crossover,.. it stays like that for good until changed ??

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
What comes out of the optical digital output on the back panel? I see a footnote in the manual for my SC-1522 that says "You can’t hear HDMI audio through this receiver’s digital out jack." Does that mean audio from an hdmi input to the receiver will just produce silence on this output? Would DD 5.1 from one of the receiver's optical inputs appear on this optical output?

·
Registered
9,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee  /t/1448081/official-pioneer-elite-sc-65-sc-1527-k-owners-thread/300_100#post_24501496

What comes out of the optical digital output on the back panel?

what goes in on a digital coax/opt input.

no receiver has conversion from HDMI to standard digital coax/opt. violates the encrypted handshake protocol. plus, digital opt/coax cannot handle the bandwidth of multichannel, lossless, hi-rez audio formats. but there are external HDMI switchers that can remove the handshake and convert to std analog or digital output. companies like HDTV Supply have them. the receiver also doesn't convert analog inputs to digital outputs. it does convert 2 ch analog input internally to digital for processing, adding surround processing, MCACC, bass mgmt but doesn't output it as digital, only converts it to digital so internal DSP's can be used.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001  /t/1448081/official-pioneer-elite-sc-65-sc-1527-k-owners-thread/300_60#post_24501684

what goes in on a digital coax/opt input.
So is that a yes answer to my question "Would DD 5.1 from one of the receiver's optical inputs appear on this optical output?"?

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
^^

I didn't answer that part of your question

what I meant was only audio signals from the digital inputs are sent to the outputs, not signals converted from analog or HDMI inputs which is typically what people ask about in these forums for a zone 2 use.

as far as 5.1 in = 5.1 out, I've never personally used the outputs, just didn't have an application. I had planned for it in my connection setup but never had the need to implement it. so can't say from personal experience.

I'd have to look at the block diagram in a service manual I have for the SC-57 & do give you my interpretation of the circuit paths. the 57 has similar design topology. when I get a chance today or tonight, I'll take a look.

are you not getting 5.1 out and checking or asking before you try it?

341 - 360 of 504 Posts