AVS Forum banner

501 - 504 of 504 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
In my main Theater setup I've replaced the Denon with a Pioneer SC-65 because it supports Front-Wide speakers in a 9.1 array, and I REFUSE to give up my Front Wides... I've disconnected my Front Heights to accommodate this downgraded receiver situation, and I don't miss them at all (just as I had assumed). Subjectively and objectively, the Denon is better than the Pioneer in every way, except that the Pioneer still works after 6 years, and the Denon has failed TWICE.

My one 'defect' quibble about the Pioneer is that BOTH of the 12v triggers have apparently failed... I get an error message whenever I activate them via the menu, so I need to keep them disabled. Instead, I've had to resort to power-strip with outlets that turn on when the receiver is turned on. I feel like I'm back in the 1990's, when receivers had outlets on the back of them! That was a wonderful era, but can you imagine watching composite video on a 125" screen nowadays?!?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
My Pioneer SC-65 is under-powered!!! It shut-down 3 times this past weekend, as I played BluRays at ~8dB below reference. My room is 3750cu.ft., and my speakers are generally 14ft away from my seating position. And I already have my front qty3 main speakers powered by an Emotiva XPA3, so the Pioneer is only running qty6 channels.

So I know my old Denon was a Flagship model, and my Pioneer is a second-tier unit. Perhaps the THX-Ultra certified SC-67 would have been sufficient, but I assume NOT, due to the shutdown I experienced well-below reference.

My old Denon has a blown DSP (Denon no longer carries replacement chipsets) so the ONLY input that functions is the 7CH analog In. That's perfect - I'm going to use the Pioneer as a 100% Pre-Amp - I'll continue to send the front qty3 channels to the XPA3, and the remaining channels will be fed to the Denon. I'm excited to put the Denon back into useful service.

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
Out of curiosity, I went to the Apple app store to see if iControlAV5 would install on my iPhone X. It did, and it worked.
Unsure how many of you are still using an SC-65, but I was pretty happy to see that I didn't need to rely on my iPad gen 2 any longer to use the app.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need some help with my sc-65. I am tryong to find an audio signal port to send to another receiver, so whatever signal I am playing on the 65, is sent over to the second receiver to play. The second receiver is a vsx1021. Any suggestions?

501 - 504 of 504 Posts