AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 3589 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to start this for us owners which have been lurking and getting help from all of the similar thread such as the 01/03 and the 05/07 and the *OFFICIAL* New 2009 Pioneer Elite A/V Receivers thread with models. I don't know how to link all the previous questions/answers and comments(posts) from those regarding the 21 and 23, but there are several buried in those threads. Maybe going forward all the info will be here. I own the 23 which is nicely replacing a Denon 2808ci which processed for a B & K 200x5 amp. With the 23 and the MCACC processing, I have as good as if not better sound and more functionality. Even ditched the amp! I use it as a 5.1 and power an A/V zone 2 and soon an audio zone 3. My only issue has been an HDMI glitch where the AVR won't recognize PCM after switching from a DD channel on Directv HDDVR(and vice versa) workaround has been setting the DVR to output PCM only. I could also hook up an digital in, but haven't yet. Hopefully some of the owners of the previous Elite models will follow and help us with our issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Thanks for opening this thread, Tony. I have the 21 and am quite pleased as well with the sound. When I switch between MCCAC and Pure Direct it's a night and day improvement.

Coincidentally, I'm using this as a pre for B&K 125.3 amp which I bought because my old Marantz couldn't drive my 4 ohm KEFs. I'd like to test this AVR to see if it is as good as the B&K but it'd be tough to hook up so am leaving as is. Have to think the Pioneer might not get the job done, but who knows?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoss /forum/post/17192226


Thanks for opening this thread, Tony. I have the 21 and am quite pleased as well with the sound. When I switch between MCCAC and Pure Direct it's a night and day improvement.

Coincidentally, I'm using this as a pre for B&K 125.3 amp which I bought because my old Marantz couldn't drive my 4 ohm KEFs. I'd like to test this AVR to see if it is as good as the B&K but it'd be tough to hook up so am leaving as is. Have to think the Pioneer might not get the job done, but who knows?

You are welcome. I doubt your AVR would push those speakers well and you would have to change to 6ohm mode in the menu. I agree about the MCACC, it is really excellent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoss /forum/post/17192226


Thanks for opening this thread, Tony. I have the 21 and am quite pleased as well with the sound. When I switch between MCCAC and Pure Direct it's a night and day improvement.

Coincidentally, I'm using this as a pre for B&K 125.3 amp which I bought because my old Marantz couldn't drive my 4 ohm KEFs. I'd like to test this AVR to see if it is as good as the B&K but it'd be tough to hook up so am leaving as is. Have to think the Pioneer might not get the job done, but who knows?

I have the 23 and I am not sure what you mean by "switching between MCCAC and Pure Direct"


Can you provide more detail?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,105 Posts
Would be interested to know how the 21/23TXH compare to the 03TXH which I have now. Looking for another system for my basement in the not too distant future. I had the opportunity to pick up either of these units at a fairly decent price from the 6ave name your price deal but held off for now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatboy64 /forum/post/17193755


I have the 23 and I am not sure what you mean by "switching between MCCAC and Pure Direct"


Can you provide more detail?

I was just referring to when I switch the MCCAC on and off, the change is dramatic in a very good way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
What do you mean by switching MCACC on and off. When you press the MCACC button while playing you get a bunch of parameters you can adjust. If you go go to a Memory setting that is "blank", i.e no Auto Calibration has been recorded, that is the default settings. All you get is an output with no adjustments for Speaker sensitivity and room configuration.

The change is dramatic and "loud".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the effect of the MCACC. I thought that when I select "Pure Direct" or "Direct", I was in effect switching off the effect of my MCACC calibration. Am I confused?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung /forum/post/17194117


Would be interested to know how the 21/23TXH compare to the 03TXH which I have now. Looking for another system for my basement in the not too distant future. I had the opportunity to pick up either of these units at a fairly decent price from the 6ave name your price deal but held off for now.

Very similar with a few new features: mainly an extra HDMI input on the front and parallel HDMI outputs on the back. I think the processor chip is different according to website specs. I can't remember if the 03 interacts with ipod/iphone like the 23? It's a solid replacement model for the 03. MSRP even went down a C-note.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoss /forum/post/17197302


Maybe I'm misunderstanding the effect of the MCACC. I thought that when I select "Pure Direct" or "Direct", I was in effect switching off the effect of my MCACC calibration. Am I confused?

I think it drops MCACC when changed to Pure Direct, not just Direct. Mine is actually louder (likely my perception) and much more dynamic with MCACC on. Speaking of MCACC, there is a full thread on that which has gobs of great info (for those that didn't know).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Hello...I am thinking of purchasing the Elite 21 or 23 TXH. Was looking at Onkyo and Denon and Marantz, but seems like too many little problems, plus not as simple to connect and program things.


Any opinion if these two receivers are better than the Standard Pioneer 919 and 1019 for the price difference. Are the internal parts and Amp better in the Elite? Is the sound quality better than the standard Pioneer and the other brands?


Thanks


Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave41200 /forum/post/17203946


Hello...I am thinking of purchasing the Elite 21 or 23 TXH. Was looking at Onkyo and Denon and Marantz, but seems like too many little problems, plus not as simple to connect and program things.


Any opinion if these two receivers are better than the Standard Pioneer 919 and 1019 for the price difference. Are the internal parts and Amp better in the Elite? Is the sound quality better than the standard Pioneer and the other brands?


Thanks


Dave

Better than the standard models-yes. Worth the price difference--if you need the features and power(have a bigger room). Other brands, that's not an easy one--all have merits. My last 4 avr's were marantz and denon x3. I really liked all my Denons including the most recent 2808ci, but it had some HDMI issues and limitations. I can say my 23 is every bit as good sounding if not better and has better functionality (I truly believe the great sound is due to the MCACC). Denon got a bad rap for its GUI and setup, but I thought it was decent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave41200 /forum/post/17203946


Hello...I am thinking of purchasing the Elite 21 or 23 TXH. Was looking at Onkyo and Denon and Marantz, but seems like too many little problems, plus not as simple to connect and program things.


Any opinion if these two receivers are better than the Standard Pioneer 919 and 1019 for the price difference. Are the internal parts and Amp better in the Elite? Is the sound quality better than the standard Pioneer and the other brands?


Thanks


Dave

To me the sound quality of the Elite 21 was not worth the price difference. I purchased the 1019 for $499 CDN and the 9040TXH (Cdn vsx 21) for $899.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0127294&catid=


A closer price difference would have justified the purchase but not $400.


If its a $100 difference I would have kept the vsx 21.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
379 Posts
Hello Insnyc....What model is the 9040 you have listed in your post? I do not even see it listed on the Pioneer website nor any other website store that sells Pioneer. Is it a new or older model? Is it as good as an Elite?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts
I am missing something here...I just bought this VSX-21TXH yesterday - so I haven't had the chance to talk to support.

I have gone through all the setup I can find and cannot get the subwoofer to play very loud. I have 2.1 connected. The front speakers are set to small. The sub is turned up to 6/10(!), and the lfe setting under Audio Parameters doesn't seem to do anything. I have flipped through all the audio/surround modes... Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,119 Posts
^^^^


first off, did you run mcacc to get the levels correct?


secondly, subwoofer positioning (etc.) will play a lot into how much impact you get from it at the seating position...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave41200 /forum/post/17207107


Hello Insnyc....What model is the 9040 you have listed in your post? I do not even see it listed on the Pioneer website nor any other website store that sells Pioneer. Is it a new or older model? Is it as good as an Elite?

It is the Canadian equivalent of the VSX-21. Just to confuse everyone around Pioneer decided to name the Elites VSX-9040TXH etc.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POC...040TXH.Support


Sold in Canada by Future Shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave41200 /forum/post/17207107


Hello Insnyc....What model is the 9040 you have listed in your post? I do not even see it listed on the Pioneer website nor any other website store that sells Pioneer. Is it a new or older model? Is it as good as an Elite?

Dave 41200; Here is a link to the 9040 on the US Pioneer website. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...TXH.Shop?tab=B

I have never seen any in the stores to check them out. Specs looks similar to a VSX 21 to me, with a one year warranty, instead of the two year Elite warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/17208773


^^^^


first off, did you run mcacc to get the levels correct?


secondly, subwoofer positioning (etc.) will play a lot into how much impact you get from it at the seating position...

I let mcacc run. It is a new program to me, but I think it does it's thing automagically right?

After running and listening, I have tried setting front speakers to large/small and rerunning or changing settings to see if I can get anything to change...


I just found the Ch.Level button on the remote. That brought the sub up to where it is supposed to be.


Now I am attempting to hook up other inputs - such as PC over HDMI/DVI + Optical - It doesn't look like I can do HDMI Video with any other form of Audio Input...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by investmentcar /forum/post/17209213


I let mcacc run. It is a new program to me, but I think it does it's thing automagically right?

After running and listening, I have tried setting front speakers to large/small and rerunning or changing settings to see if I can get anything to change...


I just found the Ch.Level button on the remote. That brought the sub up to where it is supposed to be.


Now I am attempting to hook up other inputs - such as PC over HDMI/DVI + Optical - It doesn't look like I can do HDMI Video with any other form of Audio Input...

Have you tried the subwoofer set to Plus vs Yes in the menu? You could also have the phase cancelling out the low end, but I guess MCACC would pick that up.

You can assign a digital audio input to all the HDMI ins with the possible exception of the BD, but double check the menu.


Later you can play with the expert MCACC setting and please check out the MCACC thread for great info. I usually end up finding answers to my questions there.
 
1 - 20 of 3589 Posts
Top