AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 894 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
B&H jumped the gun and released the specs for the LX503 before Pioneer did. It's seems for this year, they've scrapped the D-amps and gone back to a regular A&B. However, they've brought back the pre out terminals.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...r_vsx_lx503_9_2_channel_elite_4k_network.html
Looks like more integration between Onkyo and Pioneer. Last year the LX-302 was just a variation of the Onkyo NR676/RZ620 (without RZ cap upgrade, but adding some of the CI controls above the 676). It seems the new LX-303 is a variation of the upcoming RZ630 and now they have the new LX 503 being a variation of the RZ730. Back panel is clearly an Onkyo design vs the old Pioneer style.

Too bad about the loss of the D amps on this model. I think they are saving them for higher models. You have to move to Onkyo RZ920 to see them in Onkyo line so I expect as product integration continues that it will be the same level with Pioneer. The LX501 and LX502 were always a little odd being placed at their price point in the US market. Overseas, they priced the LX502 the same as the RZ820 (instead of as the same as RZ720) and it was in the same class as far as performance. It was just missing the preouts. Not all that surprised to see them pulling it down to be the same as RZ730.
Here's a good read on the old LX502. Just turn on google translate:
http://www.areadvd.de/tests/xxl-tes...x502-kraftvoller-klangmeister-fuer-1-199-eur/

·
Registered
18,495 Posts
Too bad about the loss of the D amps on this model. I think they are saving them for higher models. You have to move to Onkyo RZ920 to see them in Onkyo line so I expect as product integration continues that it will be the same level with Pioneer. The LX501 and LX502 were always a little odd being placed at their price point in the US market. Overseas, they priced the LX502 the same as the RZ820 (instead of as the same as RZ720) and it was in the same class as far as performance.
And yet I'll bet the Class D amp models are probably cheaper to make than Class AB...evil corporate mofos!

Guess I should jump on one of the $420 Pio 501s still left at accessories4less while they're still available...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The big news to me is the 503 and 303 are now 9.2 instead of 7.2. last year you had to go all the way to lx701 at 1500 to get that.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Onkyo / Pioneer have jammed another 2 x amps into quite a few models for this year.
I believe they see more channels as a point of difference, the same as Denon / Marantz - but opposed to Yamaha's thinking.
The question is, how many people in the larger market are buying AVR's for 5.1.4 vs those buying for Zone 2 and Zone 3...

·
Registered
659 Posts
The big news to me is the 503 and 303 are now 9.2 instead of 7.2. last year you had to go all the way to lx701 at 1500 to get that.
The strategy for Onkyo is to push the 9 channels amps into the lower middle this year for sure. No doubt this is going to be the marketing push for them. I suspect that will play pretty well in the salesroom. They should see an uptick in sales and I suspect the other brands will soon follow suit with the 2019 and 2020 models. Somewhat surprised Denon didn't push farther downmarket with it this year. Onkyo RZ630, RZ730, RZ830, NR787, Pioneer LX303 and LX503 are all slated for 9 channel this year. That means by Christmas, we will be seeing discounts to push 9 channel receivers well under $500 with the NR787, RZ630, and LX303. With the new chassis/platform they rolled out with the 2016 models, it definitely seemed to be designed to allow easy 9 channel expansion. Just a matter on when in the development/marketing cycle they wanted to roll it out. After pulling a bunch of service manuals, I figured out that from 2016 on, all Onkyos from NR5x5 to RZ8x0 and now apparently the Pioneer LX303 and LX503 are all built on the same platform. Same design and same boards with just a few variations.

·
Banned
868 Posts
I'm strongly considering buying the Pio 503, I don't care about the amps just the pre-outs really. I use JBL LSR active monitors but want 7.2.4 Atmos and this is the cheapest option out there.

The main thing I'm trying to figure out is, compared to a used or refurb Marantz 7703, or even brand new, which has full pre-outs and balanced XLRs too (bonus for me), is about the difference in EQ quality.

I've read the Pioneer MCACC is regarded as inferior to the XT32 in the Marantz, is that generally considered to be the case here on AVS?

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Does anybody know if the 503 will pass DV to the Sony TVs ? It looks like the 701 and 801 don't. Specificaly, I am interested in a receiver capable to passthrough DV to my Sony 75Z9D and the 503 looks like a candidate. Thank you for any help.

·
Banned
868 Posts
It should work, it's Dolby Vision compatible. But you'll never know 100% for sure until you try it. I would buy it from Amazon for zero hassle returns.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
It should work, it's Dolby Vision compatible. But you'll never know 100% for sure until you try it. I would buy it from Amazon for zero hassle returns.
The 801 or 701 also claims DV compatibility but doesn't work with the new Sonys. DV implementation on Sony TV is different from other brands.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you were near Ohio I'd help. My marantz 7009 still looks mint but it's a pain since I can't do hdr and atmos at the same time since its not hdcp 2.2. It sucks because the sound is unmatched so am upgrade will cost a fortune.

·
Registered
479 Posts
So... I'm thinking of upgrading my main receiver to be more compatible with passing 4K HDR signals. I currently have the Pioneer Elite SC-85 running a 5.1.2 setup and have had the Pioneer SC series for a while. I guess I've liked having the Class D3 series amplifiers, but I'm not sure I can quantify why...

The Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 is one option...
Some candidates include the Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 (https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pionee...heater-receiver-black/5947136.p?skuId=5947136)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX501 (https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...ch-x-120-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html)
Onkyo TX-RZ820 (https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...-130-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html)

Also wondering how much a "step down" this is: https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...-100-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-new/1.html

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone know if the HDMI connection on this receiver is HDMI 2.1 ? I tried to e-mail Pioneer but they didn't respond to my question. Thanks

1 - 20 of 894 Posts