AVS Forum banner

281 - 300 of 871 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dolby Atmos 5.1.4

Chris, how did you setup the 5.1.4 speakers in the VSX-LX503 ?
I have 4 ceiling mounted Atmos reserved speakers
then 3 front, and 2 side surround
1 subwoofer.

Greetings, Harold

I got my 503 setup over the weekend.

Onkyo has done an excellent job incorporating a few of their features in with the classic Pioneer feature set.

I had been using the Pioneer SC-97. With technology progressing, I needed this new receiver to pass Dolby Vision, and I needed ALL HDMI inputs to pass 4K HDR (the SC-97 was limited to only the first 3 inputs). The VSX-LX503 works perfectly on all counts. No glitches, no issues, it just works.

The home menu system is TONS better than the old Pioneer menus and much more intuitive. I'm running a 5.1.4 setup (Dolby Atmos). What really amazed me the most is how well the MCACC worked. Normally after running the MCACC, I always end up doing tweaks to speaker levels and equalization. After running the MCACC on the VSX-LX503, I didn't need to touch ANYTHING. The MCACC worked perfectly and the sound is well balanced and sounds great!

I have all HDMI inputs filled with different components (4K Blue-Ray, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, X-Box, Roku Ultra etc). This receiver handles all of them without issue. Dolby Vision from the Apple TV 4K works flawlessly. Switching between inputs is not a problem and fairly fast considering all the handshaking that's going on internally. Both HDMI outputs (one to a 4K TV and the other to a 4K projector) work perfectly as well.

Long story short, so far so good. At this price point, you really can't go wrong. The sound is excellent coming from this receiver and it can probably handle just about any HDMI component you can throw at it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Chris, how did you setup the 5.1.4 speakers in the VSX-LX503 ?
I have 4 ceiling mounted Atmos reserved speakers
then 3 front, and 2 side surround
1 subwoofer.

Greetings, Harold
LX503 has total 9 channels of amplification. FL,C,FR, SL,SR that is usual 5 channels. 1 Subwoofer. that makes it 5.1. You have 4 more channels, you can configure 2 speakers as Top Front and another 2 speakers as Top Rear speakers making it 5.1.4.

I configured mine as 7.1.2, but same can be also configured as 5.1.4. There is selection option during speaker setup option (Initial setup configuration). Manual laid out the all possible combinations.

Check page number 25 and 53. Basically Height 1 are configured as Top Front, and Surround back/Height 2(also labelled as zone3) as Top Rear. See the picture for Surround Back connected and used as height.

Attachments

Reactions: Tim Glover

·
Registered
156 Posts
Prob dumb question but here goes.

Just moved from Sc1223 to the LX503. Using it as a home theater receiver. Are there any video processing options? Seemed like there were a bunch on the sc1223 but can’t find any on the 503.

That’s fine. Really just want it to decode sound and as a video switcher. If it is just passing video signal through that is fine. Was just wondering.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Prob dumb question but here goes.

Just moved from Sc1223 to the LX503. Using it as a home theater receiver. Are there any video processing options? Seemed like there were a bunch on the sc1223 but can’t find any on the 503.

That’s fine. Really just want it to decode sound and as a video switcher. If it is just passing video signal through that is fine. Was just wondering.
Couple of options: One main option is in TV OUT/OSD section for 1080 to 4k upscaling, Super Resolution option. By default it is off. If you have some 1080P sources and you want to upscale using receiver, then you can do that.

Also, component video is converted to HDMI. Other than that, there is nothing much related to video.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Couple of options: One main option is in TV OUT/OSD section for 1080 to 4k upscale, Super Resolution option. By default it is off. If you have some 1080P source you want to upscale is using receiver you can do that.

Also, component video is converted to HDMI. Other than that, there is nothing much related to video.
Thank you. Thats what I figured and what I think is best for my situation. Would rather it just past through the vid feed without much processing.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
So I have this receiver now. Found a really can't pass up Open Box sale that was insanely good. I think it has the same speaker configuration as my Elite SC-99.

This is how I have mine setup now on the SC-99.

I have the Elite Atmos bookshelf speakers for the Front L & R...both atmos....Then Center. One Sub. Then a pair of Atmos surrounds.

The second pic is a screenshot of the LX-503 that I "think' I need? 3rd image are the speakers for the front L&R and rear L&R.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
LX503 has total 9 channels of amplification. FL,C,FR, SL,SR that is usual 5 channels. 1 Subwoofer. that makes it 5.1. You have 4 more channels, you can configure 2 speakers as Top Front and another 2 speakers as Top Rear speakers making it 5.1.4.

I configured mine as 7.1.2, but same can be also configured as 5.1.4. There is selection option during speaker setup option (Initial setup configuration). Manual laid out the all possible combinations.

Check page number 25 and 53. Basically Height 1 are configured as Top Front, and Surround back/Height 2(also labelled as zone3) as Top Rear. See the picture for Surround Back connected and used as height.
I posted before I saw this chinna. I believe what I have is also a 5.1.4...you can see my latest post showing what I have. But still wanted to make sure I had it setup correctly.

I will say this. The new VSX manual is a bit easier to read and layout is good vs the SC model manual.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I posted before I saw this chinna. I believe what I have is also a 5.1.4...you can see my latest post showing what I have. But still wanted to make sure I had it setup correctly.

I will say this. The new VSX manual is a bit easier to read and layout is good vs the SC model manual.
Those speakers are supposed to be configured as Dolby Speakers (Front), not as Top Front. Dolby enabled speakers are sent with limited frequency range that works well bounce off and latency is also adjusted to match that. I am not sure about the screen shot posted.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah I am not sure how to configure these. It might be a little bit of trial & error.
If you select Speakers menu, there is an option to select what type of speaker it is, Front Dolby, Rear Dolby, along with Top Front, Top Rear etc. For those speakers, there are two sets of connections in the back.

One Set for main fronts connections, and other set for Dobly ATMOS portion of speaker which is pointed towards ceiling.

So, you need to connect Height 1 speaker terminals to those Dolby ATMOS, and select Front Dolby Option for those in the front.
Similar way, you need to select Rear Dolby for rear set.

Reactions: Tim Glover

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Got it going! Want to say a thanks to Chinna here on this thread who was very helpful. All good!

Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 working. :)

BUT on my Elite SC-99 receiver, the audio format was always visible on the receiver display screen. Whether it was Dolby Atmos, PCM, or DTS it was there. But on this ; you can select the audio format on the remote and it shows it but then reverts back to the input.

Any others here found that to be so?

·
Registered
38 Posts
just picked one of these up with fry’s discount

before i hook it up and swap out my old yamaha anything i should know?

ill have a chromecast and a laptop plugged into the rec with the lg oled on the video out (with arc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Have any of you downloaded the Pioneer Control App?

I did but it says "product to be controlled not found" But I am clearly connected on the same network.

Also, this says it has Tidal and Pandora. I feel dumb for asking but those are not on the remote nor on the drop down panel. So how does one access Streaming?

I was thinking it might be thru the Control App ...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
LOL I found it !

Haha its on the NET button on the remote. Click that and there it is. Along with other streaming services :)

I love trial and error ;)

·
Registered
431 Posts
I notice that in some modes, particularly Ext. Stereo, there is kind of an echo effect. It is very noticeable when scrolling through menus on my Shield and also I notice it when I pause a song and there is sort of this 1 second echo after pausing. It only occurs in certain modes, for example regular stereo and Dolby Surrround don't produce the "echo" effect. Has anyone else noticed this? Can someone else test on their AVR? Any suggestions as to what might be causing it or or how to fix it?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I notice that in some modes, particularly Ext. Stereo, there is kind of an echo effect. It is very noticeable when scrolling through menus on my Shield and also I notice it when I pause a song and there is sort of this 1 second echo after pausing. It only occurs in certain modes, for example regular stereo and Dolby Surrround don't produce the "echo" effect. Has anyone else noticed this? Can someone else test on their AVR? Any suggestions as to what might be causing it or or how to fix it?
Ext. Stereo mode try to process regular channels into 9 channels. This is DSP processing for special effect. I have not checked Ext. Stereo in specific to echo though.

But, in general you might want to use Auto/Direct mode to pick correct mode based on input signal. Pioneer for some reason does not default to intended mode if it is not in Auto/Direct Mode.

·
Registered
117 Posts
just picked one of these up with fry’s discount

before i hook it up and swap out my old yamaha anything i should know?

ill have a chromecast and a laptop plugged into the rec with the lg oled on the video out (with arc)

One thing to watch out is, Delay in Chromecast streaming and bluetooth streaming. It has observed by few folks in this thread. So do not get alarmed when you see considerable latency in order of 2-3 second while streaming audio via Bluetooth or Chromecast.

Cross-over setting another thing. This for some reason Pioneer restricted to single cross over for all speakers. Means all channels use same Cross over. Exception is if Fronts/center are marked as Large, cross-over is bypassed for this.

So, recommendation is to have all 9 speakers all reach 80Hz response.

·
Registered
38 Posts
thanks for the heads up

what do you mean by delay? if i push pause on my phone for instance i would expect the audio to actually pause up to three seconds later?

it’s not a audio / video sync issue with a chromecast ultra?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi All.
I tried to connect my phone through Bluetooth. No luck. Tried a second phone. Nope. Has anyone run into this issue? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Howard

281 - 300 of 871 Posts