AVS Forum banner

321 - 340 of 906 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi folks.

Question on the MCACC. I recently rearranged the furniture in my theater room and ran MCACC again. This time the LX503 set all my speakers to "Large" and crossover at 80Hz. Previously it had set just the LR (floor standing) speakers as Large while others were small.

For now, I manually set all speakers to small.

Also, after this run of MCACC, i have to turn up the volume all the way to -5db, which i never had to do before. I used to be between -15 and -10.

Any clue what could have caused it?
Any one experience this or have any pointers?

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts

That is really strange, sometimes there are big changes in volume levels when going from no MCACC to MCACC (since it doesn't know the sensitivity of the speakers before calibration) but it is surprising to see such a big change between two MCACC runs. Are you sure you used the right calibration mic? Have you tried running it again to see if it goes back to normal volumes?

·
Registered
60 Posts

Sounds like it changed the gain on the speakers.

The only reason would be if the furniture changes you made caused it to think that the sub was really high and it had to bring everything down to match it.

Ideally you want the sub to be between -12 and -5 in the settings. Up to 0 is fine, you just don't want a positive number. Ideally you want all the speakers to calibrate to -8 to -3. Within that range it just means everything is matched. If the subs are at like -15 you are maxed out and need to turn the gain on the sub down some.

Since in most systems the sub gain is the only "changeable setting" you have outside of the receiver it is the one that is either way off (-15 or +something) or within range of adjustment (-12 to -5).

Just adjust the sub gain to get it to show say -8 or so on calibration and the rest should be within -8 to -3. If not then I would keep turning down the gain on the sub until the rest of the speakers fall into that range. If they never do, maybe something got stuck inside the hole on the microphone, or the mic is defective.

I have two different setups, one on the VSX-LX503 and the other on an Onkyo TX-NR787 (same exact tech inside both receivers, even if the firmware interface is slightly different, the both calibrate the same, using the same mic) and I ahve no problem getting both to calibrate within those ranges and have no issues.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks for the inputs. Will reduce the subwoofer knob down and will run again. It set my sub to -2 in the last run. And the LCR to + 2.
I had the sub knob at little higher than half way.

·
Registered
431 Posts
also it always seems to fail when trying to cast music from my phone. if i tell the google assistant to play xxx on pioneer receiver it takes a minute but it does start playing.
One thing I noticed is that if I cast music only to the LX503 it is very hit or miss, sometimes it works sometimes it gets stuck on connecting. If I cast to a speaker group that includes the LX503 (ie Google Home + AVR group) it always works. The Chromecast feature is definitely a bit buggy but that is one workaround I've found although it isn't ideal. Hopefully Pioneer improves the Chromecast feature with a patch one day. Maybe I'll put in a support ticket to complain.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Off topic, but got a email from Onkyo for a trade in special theyre running. I can trade in my old 806s, for a RZ830 for 499.99, retail 1499.99.

Is the 830 a discontinued model? I remember getting my 806 for 599.99 from Newegg on sale, when it retailed for 999.99 I believe.

If I needed a new 4K capable avr I would consider it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Off topic, but got a email from Onkyo for a trade in special theyre running. I can trade in my old 806s, for a RZ830 for 499.99, retail 1499.99.

Is the 830 a discontinued model? I remember getting my 806 for 599.99 from Newegg on sale, when it retailed for 999.99 I believe.

If I needed a new 4K capable avr I would consider it.
That's a good price, it's $650 for a refurb unit on acc4less.

·
Registered
38 Posts
One thing I noticed is that if I cast music only to the LX503 it is very hit or miss, sometimes it works sometimes it gets stuck on connecting. If I cast to a speaker group that includes the LX503 (ie Google Home + AVR group) it always works. The Chromecast feature is definitely a bit buggy but that is one workaround I've found although it isn't ideal. Hopefully Pioneer improves the Chromecast feature with a patch one day. Maybe I'll put in a support ticket to complain.

thanks for the tip, i’ll try the speaker group and see if it improves

any idea if it would be possible to setup zone 2 as a separate speaker group or some way to only cast to zone 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ok, just setup a new 503 (trade in for dead 1222), and I am not totally thrilled with the Onkyo version of MCACC on this receiver. They seem to have simplified things to the point of losing functionality. Can you tell me if there is an option in the "new" MCACC to set the time sampling for reverb? This was a feature on my old 1222 and being able to tell MCACC when to take the measurements made a significant improvement in the sound quality. I checked the manual and didn't see anything, the MCACC section in the new manual is pretty basic and dumbed down. Also, is X-curve still a feature? The calibration seems a tad bright on this receiver and I used X-curve on my 1222 and the previous 1120 as well.

I don't really like the new remote either, I used to be able to access pretty much every feature from the remote, now I have to wade through menu after menu trying to find features. Thanks for any suggestions, and also what is the current App that controls these things?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just placed my order. Question, what info is on display panel? The current input or format thats playing? Id prefer the latter, or be able to choose the info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can anyone take a picture of their TV while the on-screen volume display is on? Also, maybe one of an info display while something is playing?

Thank you...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Please see the display of attached picture on LCD display as well as on Screen when you press "Info" button. First time it shows audio input/incoming signal and then what is the output mode. When you press second time it shows Video resolution, FPS etc.

On the LCD display by default it shows the source and speakers output and a small indicator indicating RAW/PCM etc. Speaker output on display shows what speakers are engaged. It changes based on DSP you selected unless it is in direct/auto direct mode.
See the photos and if you have questions let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Please see the display of attached picture on LCD display as well as on Screen when you press "Info" button. First time it shows audio input/incoming signal and then what is the output mode. When you press second time it shows Video resolution, FPS etc.

On the LCD display by default it shows the source and speakers output and a small indicator indicating RAW/PCM etc. Speaker output on display shows what speakers are engaged. It changes based on DSP you selected unless it is in direct/auto direct mode.
See the photos and if you have questions let me know.
thanks. Can it be changed to display the output (pcm, dd,atmos, true hd etc) or will it revert back to the source?

·
Registered
117 Posts
thanks. Can it be changed to display the output (pcm, dd,atmos, true hd etc) or will it revert back to the source?
It will revert back to Source screenshot.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thats too bad, i prefer the formar to be displayed but oh well.
Does the speaker connects work with banana plugs?
Yes, banana plugs will work, and that's what I use. (That's common for pretty much every receiver in this class).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thats too bad, i prefer the formar to be displayed but oh well.
Does the speaker connects work with banana plugs?
Yes, banana plugs will work, and that's what I use. (That's common for pretty much every receiver in this class).
thx for replies bro, mine just got delivered early (wasnt expecting it till monday. Im upgrading from 5.1.2 onkyo 555 and polk psw 10, now have bic 1220 and audio source 2chan, so i will be running wires today for full 7.1.4, and probably add a 2nd sub soon. Gonna place sub in corner and let it break in befor deciding if i need a 2nd (which ill probably get regardless lol)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well 8hrs of unhooking/organizing, running cables etc etc i now have 7.1.2 so far. My 2 channel audion source is doa, no power out the box so its being returned to amazon and replacement will be hear monday. Wires already ran for my rear heights so basically plug n play.

So any suggestion on settings for my audio source. Do i set volume 1/2 way, stereo, and run the set up? (I dont have a meter to volume match.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well 8hrs of unhooking/organizing, running cables etc etc i now have 7.1.2 so far. My 2 channel audion source is doa, no power out the box so its being returned to amazon and replacement will be hear monday. Wires already ran for my rear heights so basically plug n play.
Actually, you hookup your rear surrounds to the external amp and use the internal amp Height 2 output for the rear heights. It is specified that way in the Pioneer manual for the receiver. Actually all the Onkyo/Pioneer receivers that do 7.x.4 specify it that way.

The idea being that all the height speakers sound the same (ie, all 4 are using the internal amps) and that it is "ok" for the rear surrounds to get more/less power depending on an external amp compared to the heights. Basically the idea is that with all height speakers being equal sound-wise you get the best "experience" and if the rears sound slightly different it won't matter near as much.

321 - 340 of 906 Posts