AVS Forum banner

341 - 360 of 938 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for those pics Chinna! If you can, can you post one of the TV when you are adjusting the volume?

Thanks again!
Nothing special, it show volume level on a bar. Very basic single line. I will post a phone when next time I fire up projector.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’ve been using the dts neural x setting on my blu rays that don’t have Atmos...there is always an obvious “echo effect”...is that normal
Thanks

·
Registered
2,616 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also recently ran into a weird finding. I recently was using 2 Klipsch r-120sw subs in my setup and was able to sell those and upgrade to 2 115sw subs and once I ran the mcacc the settings were less...on the old 120sw dubs the calibration was set at -12...with the new larger subs the mcacc set them at -4.5..the gains and frequencies were set up thrbssme way...it’s skdo weird that they don’t sound as loud

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey guys, I have had the VSX-LX503 for over a month now and I figured I would give some feedback and information on things I have noticed to help others out... I was really going back and forth in regards to either keeping the VSX-LX503 or switching to a Onkyo TX-RZ830 for a few weeks and ultimately I am staying with the LX503.

One of the big things that kept bugging me about the Pioneer VSX-LX503 vs the Onkyo TX-RZ830 (same hardware, just different software outside of a few inputs/outputs between them) was the crossovers. The LX503 only allows for "Large" and "Small" speaker crossovers, with "Large" passing full-range signal to the speakers (ie, no crossover) and "Small" using the crossover point specified.

This, for me, was problematic, considering I have all Klipsch Reference IV speakers and love the fact that my other receiver, an Onkyo TX-NR787 (in my game room, but has the same features software-wise the RZ830 has), has the ability to set all the crossover points independently for each location, that way I am able to make full use of the available frequency range my speakers can offer (especially fronts that are RF-82s that play into the lower 30hz range, so I set the crossover to 40hz for those speakers and love the sound).

After running full setup on the LX503 (which does an automatic Full MCACC calibration) it set my fronts, center, surrounds and rear surrounds all to "Large". I thought this was great, since most of those speakers do well on full-range signals. On the LX503 my speakers are fronts with RF-82s, center is RC-62, surrounds are RS-52s and rears are RF-82s. Movies sounded good and I thought all was well...

That was until I got a hold of Edge of Tomorrow and noticed how deep the intro gets. I have a pair of RSW-10D subwoofers and the intro really gets them moving, but I noticed a somewhat "unnatural" sound while playing that movie at a volume level of -10. After some investigating I found that the encoding of that movie ends up sending the full bass output through the center channel (along with the LFE track, but not the fronts) and my RC-62 woofers were near maxing out during the intro. I immediately switched that speaker to "Small" and replayed the intro, no more weird noise and the bass played clean.

After much testing, I am running the front, side surround and rear surrounds as "Large". The center channel and top speakers (height 1 & 2) are all run as "Small". Crossover is set at 80hz and I have "Double Bass" enabled.

My big problem is I also listen to music on this system as well. Using surround sound is "OK" for some music, but others I want to listen in stereo. This is where the VSX-LX503 shines compared to the Onkyo TX-RZ830.

When I listen to certain music I switch to "Pure Direct" and it bypasses all EQing and time alignment and every other correction (outside of the crossovers) and sends the pure output to the fronts and subs. Basically a perfect 2.1 setup and it sounds FANTASTIC!

In comparison I cannot get my TX-NR787 setup to sound anywhere near as good unless I go in and change a bunch of settings manually and then select "direct" mode. Only then does it sound as good as the VSX-LX503 in "Pure Direct" mode.

Point is for those of us that want to best of all worlds, the Pioneer VSX-LX503 is a much better solution with more simplistic options to get us where we want to be. The Onkyo TX-RZ830 shares the exact same settings as the TX-NR787 and this is more suited for those that configure their setup and only switch sources and want the best overall compromise in sound from what they have configured.

For me the VSX-LX503 is in my theater room where I watch movies and listen to music with a 7.2.4 ATMOS setup. The TX-NR787 is in a game room where we watch movies, play games and rarely listen to music with a 5.2.4 ATMOS setup.

The game room sounds great and uses the speakers the most effectively for a single optimized configuration (RF-82 fronts, RC-62 center, RS-52 surrounds, Monoprice Caliber 8" top middle and rear height speakers), so basically a set-it and forget it type of configuration is needed/wanted there.

The theater room is setup with a dynamic configuration (RF-82 fronts, RC-62 center, RS-52 surrounds, RF-82 rears, Monoprice Caliber 8" top front and top rear speakers) with an Onkyo M-282 powering the rears where I can simply watch movies with the way it is configured, and when I switch to music I just select "Pure Direct" and it bypasses all the configurations to give me outstanding stereo for music.

I will also add, the other big differences in the LX503 vs RZ830 is the inclusion of a second trigger output and a IR output on the LX503 compared to the RZ830. The RZ830 does add two more analog stereo inputs for "Game" and "TV" as well as anotehr component video input for "Game" along with labeling HDMI 5 as "PC", but that is it.

Personally I use the extra "B" trigger output to power my 2-channel rear amplifier. The "A" trigger is used for some custom switching, so I really like having the extra output there as well.

So, for me and my needs, the LX503 is actually a better solution than the TX-RZ830... Plus it helps to keep remotes from getting mixed up that one is a Pioneer and the other an Onkyo. We already have had issues mixing up the FireTV Stick 4k remotes. The display remotes are a not issue in that one is for a Samsung 75" NU8000 series in the game room and the other is a for a Viewsonic PX727-4k projector in the theater. I also have a 1080p 24" display hooked up to the LX503 for when I don't want to turn the projector on to listen to music.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
When I listen to certain music I switch to "Pure Direct" and it bypasses all crossovers, all EQing and every other correction and sends the pure output to the fronts and sub.
If the receiver sends full frequency spectrum to the sub, then do you have to use the sub's internal crossover to limit its response?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Clarified crossovers are still active.

When I listen to certain music I switch to "Pure Direct" and it bypasses all crossovers, all EQing and every other correction and sends the pure output to the fronts and sub.
If the receiver sends full frequency spectrum to the sub, then do you have to use the sub's internal crossover to limit its response?
Actually, all of the crossovers are still in effect in "Pure Direct" mode. All standing wave, EQ corrections and time alignment are gone, though.

Sorry for the error.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Have had the 503 up and running for a couple of weeks now. Still not completely thrilled with it after my 1222 died and was sold the 503 at a discount from Pioneer. How do I get rid of the "See TV" on the digital display EVERY TIME I turn it on?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Have had the 503 up and running for a couple of weeks now. Still not completely thrilled with it after my 1222 died and was sold the 503 at a discount from Pioneer. How do I get rid of the "See TV" on the digital display EVERY TIME I turn it on?
hmmm, mine only said this the 1st time until i set it up.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I thought that was how it would work, but every time I turn it on it says "See TV" temporarily, it does eventually go away but it is really annoying me why it is there at all after the initial setup.

Also I just remembered, occasionally when I turn the system on the Chromecast setup screen will show up, not sure why. I don't use the Chromecast at all.

·
Registered
359 Posts
One other question, is there an App that will control this receiver? I tried the Pioneer Control App and get an error c3102 or 3104 don't remember exactly which error when trying to connect to it through the phone. The receiver is connected to the local network by wifi. I tried the iControl AV5 app and that says it is incompatible as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am editing my previous post, I ended up spending quite a bit of time with the receiver today and a bunch of settings I thought were different...

Long story short, I run with the front speakers, side surrounds and rear surrounds as all "Large" and the center and height 1& 2 speakers as "Small"... I also use "Double Bass"...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I thought that was how it would work, but every time I turn it on it says "See TV" temporarily, it does eventually go away but it is really annoying me why it is there at all after the initial setup.

Also I just remembered, occasionally when I turn the system on the Chromecast setup screen will show up, not sure why. I don't use the Chromecast at all.
Which output TV is connected out of two HDMI outs? My guess, If this is connected to Sub HDMI output, and nothing connected to main HDMI out it might be showing that warning.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I found the Pioneer Remote App listed deep in the 503 documentation, will try it when I get home from work and see what it does. I am not enthusiastic about it after the way that Pioneer(Onkyo) has removed features from their receivers, but we will see.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Does anyone know how to make the Chromecast screen go away permanently? About every third or fourth time I turn on the 503 I am greeted by the Chromecast set up screen. I really don't want to see it again, and my wife struggles with how to get rid of it if I am not there, as she is less proficient with the system. I have no desire to use the Chromecast capabilities at all and want that to go away. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hey guys, I have had the VSX-LX503 for over a month now and I figured I would give some feedback and information on things I have noticed to help others out... I was really going back and forth in regards to either keeping the VSX-LX503 or switching to a Onkyo TX-RZ830 for a few weeks and ultimately I am staying with the LX503.

One of the big things that kept bugging me about the Pioneer VSX-LX503 vs the Onkyo TX-RZ830 (same hardware, just different software outside of a few inputs/outputs between them) was the crossovers. The LX503 only allows for "Large" and "Small" speaker crossovers, with "Large" passing full-range signal to the speakers (ie, no crossover) and "Small" using the crossover point specified.

This, for me, was problematic, considering I have all Klipsch Reference IV speakers and love the fact that my other receiver, an Onkyo TX-NR787 (in my game room, but has the same features software-wise the RZ830 has), has the ability to set all the crossover points independently for each location, that way I am able to make full use of the available frequency range my speakers can offer (especially fronts that are RF-82s that play into the lower 30hz range, so I set the crossover to 40hz for those speakers and love the sound).

After running full setup on the LX503 (which does an automatic Full MCACC calibration) it set my fronts, center, surrounds and rear surrounds all to "Large". I thought this was great, since most of those speakers do well on full-range signals. On the LX503 my speakers are fronts with RF-82s, center is RC-62, surrounds are RS-52s and rears are RF-82s. Movies sounded good and I thought all was well...

That was until I got a hold of Edge of Tomorrow and noticed how deep the intro gets. I have a pair of RSW-10D subwoofers and the intro really gets them moving, but I noticed a somewhat "unnatural" sound while playing that movie at a volume level of -10. After some investigating I found that the encoding of that movie ends up sending the full bass output through the center channel (along with the LFE track, but not the fronts) and my RC-62 woofers were near maxing out during the intro. I immediately switched that speaker to "Small" and replayed the intro, no more weird noise and the bass played clean.

After much testing, I am running the front, side surround and rear surrounds as "Large". The center channel and top speakers (height 1 & 2) are all run as "Small". Crossover is set at 80hz and I have "Double Bass" enabled.

My big problem is I also listen to music on this system as well. Using surround sound is "OK" for some music, but others I want to listen in stereo. This is where the VSX-LX503 shines compared to the Onkyo TX-RZ830.

When I listen to certain music I switch to "Pure Direct" and it bypasses all EQing and time alignment and every other correction (outside of the crossovers) and sends the pure output to the fronts and subs. Basically a perfect 2.1 setup and it sounds FANTASTIC!

In comparison I cannot get my TX-NR787 setup to sound anywhere near as good unless I go in and change a bunch of settings manually and then select "direct" mode. Only then does it sound as good as the VSX-LX503 in "Pure Direct" mode.

Point is for those of us that want to best of all worlds, the Pioneer VSX-LX503 is a much better solution with more simplistic options to get us where we want to be. The Onkyo TX-RZ830 shares the exact same settings as the TX-NR787 and this is more suited for those that configure their setup and only switch sources and want the best overall compromise in sound from what they have configured.

For me the VSX-LX503 is in my theater room where I watch movies and listen to music with a 7.2.4 ATMOS setup. The TX-NR787 is in a game room where we watch movies, play games and rarely listen to music with a 5.2.4 ATMOS setup.

The game room sounds great and uses the speakers the most effectively for a single optimized configuration (RF-82 fronts, RC-62 center, RS-52 surrounds, Monoprice Caliber 8" top middle and rear height speakers), so basically a set-it and forget it type of configuration is needed/wanted there.

The theater room is setup with a dynamic configuration (RF-82 fronts, RC-62 center, RS-52 surrounds, RF-82 rears, Monoprice Caliber 8" top front and top rear speakers) with an Onkyo M-282 powering the rears where I can simply watch movies with the way it is configured, and when I switch to music I just select "Pure Direct" and it bypasses all the configurations to give me outstanding stereo for music.

I will also add, the other big differences in the LX503 vs RZ830 is the inclusion of a second trigger output and a IR output on the LX503 compared to the RZ830. The RZ830 does add two more analog stereo inputs for "Game" and "TV" as well as anotehr component video input for "Game" along with labeling HDMI 5 as "PC", but that is it.

Personally I use the extra "B" trigger output to power my 2-channel rear amplifier. The "A" trigger is used for some custom switching, so I really like having the extra output there as well.

So, for me and my needs, the LX503 is actually a better solution than the TX-RZ830... Plus it helps to keep remotes from getting mixed up that one is a Pioneer and the other an Onkyo. We already have had issues mixing up the FireTV Stick 4k remotes. The display remotes are a not issue in that one is for a Samsung 75" NU8000 series in the game room and the other is a for a Viewsonic PX727-4k projector in the theater. I also have a 1080p 24" display hooked up to the LX503 for when I don't want to turn the projector on to listen to music.
Is there any way to save different level settings to different inputs on the 787 or the LX503 ? I have the 787 and there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the level of the rears or tops besides going in the test tone level setting. And the quick menu is only center and sub, but then it carries over to all other inputs. Deal breaker for me. Hope I'm missing something

·
Registered
157 Posts
Can someone tell me if this is the cheapest A/V receiver that supports 9 channels and eARC? Also, when using eARC, does the receiver display still show what audio is being played (DTS, Dolby Surround, Atmos, etc.)? Thanks.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Can someone tell me if this is the cheapest A/V receiver that supports 9 channels and eARC? Also, when using eARC, does the receiver display still show what audio is being played (DTS, Dolby Surround, Atmos, etc.)? Thanks.
This receiver does NOT show the audio on the display, only when the status button is pressed and then only for a short period of time. It shows the input and volume level all the time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is there any way to save different level settings to different inputs on the 787 or the LX503 ? I have the 787 and there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust the level of the rears or tops besides going in the test tone level setting. And the quick menu is only center and sub, but then it carries over to all other inputs. Deal breaker for me. Hope I'm missing something
No, there is no way to do what you want as levels are considered to be calibration elements.

Fact of the matter is you need to replace whatever device has faulty levels.

All devices should utilize all the speakers properly. You can set volume offsets per input (so that all inputs have the same relative volume from input to input), but that changes the volume for all speakers consistently based upon calibration.

341 - 360 of 938 Posts