AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 871 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh, and BTW the 503 is available from Newegg for a net price of $799 - you pay $899 but you get back a $100 Newegg gift card. It is presently on back order for a few days.

·
Registered
508 Posts
My old Elite died. Looking for a replacement and this model fits my needs. Is it true they are made by Onkyo? That may change my mind

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I got mine coming from Amazon tomorrow. Replacing my SC-97. Want Dolby Vision and all HDMI inputs to support full 4K HDR.

Reactions: Tim Glover

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I got my 503 setup over the weekend.

Onkyo has done an excellent job incorporating a few of their features in with the classic Pioneer feature set.

I had been using the Pioneer SC-97. With technology progressing, I needed this new receiver to pass Dolby Vision, and I needed ALL HDMI inputs to pass 4K HDR (the SC-97 was limited to only the first 3 inputs). The VSX-LX503 works perfectly on all counts. No glitches, no issues, it just works.

The home menu system is TONS better than the old Pioneer menus and much more intuitive. I'm running a 5.1.4 setup (Dolby Atmos). What really amazed me the most is how well the MCACC worked. Normally after running the MCACC, I always end up doing tweaks to speaker levels and equalization. After running the MCACC on the VSX-LX503, I didn't need to touch ANYTHING. The MCACC worked perfectly and the sound is well balanced and sounds great!

I have all HDMI inputs filled with different components (4K Blue-Ray, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, X-Box, Roku Ultra etc). This receiver handles all of them without issue. Dolby Vision from the Apple TV 4K works flawlessly. Switching between inputs is not a problem and fairly fast considering all the handshaking that's going on internally. Both HDMI outputs (one to a 4K TV and the other to a 4K projector) work perfectly as well.

Long story short, so far so good. At this price point, you really can't go wrong. The sound is excellent coming from this receiver and it can probably handle just about any HDMI component you can throw at it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got my 503 setup over the weekend.

Onkyo has done an excellent job incorporating a few of their features in with the classic Pioneer feature set.

I had been using the Pioneer SC-97. With technology progressing, I needed this new receiver to pass Dolby Vision, and I needed ALL HDMI inputs to pass 4K HDR (the SC-97 was limited to only the first 3 inputs). The VSX-LX503 works perfectly on all counts. No glitches, no issues, it just works.

The home menu system is TONS better than the old Pioneer menus and much more intuitive. I'm running a 5.1.4 setup (Dolby Atmos). What really amazed me the most is how well the MCACC worked. Normally after running the MCACC, I always end up doing tweaks to speaker levels and equalization. After running the MCACC on the VSX-LX503, I didn't need to touch ANYTHING. The MCACC worked perfectly and the sound is well balanced and sounds great!

I have all HDMI inputs filled with different components (4K Blue-Ray, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, X-Box, Roku Ultra etc). This receiver handles all of them without issue. Dolby Vision from the Apple TV 4K works flawlessly. Switching between inputs is not a problem and fairly fast considering all the handshaking that's going on internally. Both HDMI outputs (one to a 4K TV and the other to a 4K projector) work perfectly as well.

Long story short, so far so good. At this price point, you really can't go wrong. The sound is excellent coming from this receiver and it can probably handle just about any HDMI component you can throw at it.

You wouldn't happen to have a Sony TV to test DV with, would you? I ordered an LX303 Friday before seeing this thread and am now concerned about DV not working with my Sony 940E.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
You wouldn't happen to have a Sony TV to test DV with, would you? I ordered an LX303 Friday before seeing this thread and am now concerned about DV not working with my Sony 940E.

Thanks,

Negative. I have an LG. I dumped my Sony 940D a few months ago. Was so tired of the glitchy performance when the Sony was plugged into the Pioneer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Negative. I have an LG. I dumped my Sony 940D a few months ago. Was so tired of the glitchy performance when the Sony was plugged into the Pioneer.

Would you care to elaborate on the "glitchy performance" issues? I have had apparent HDMI handshake issues with the 940E, mostly due to having a Darby in the video chain is what I thought. This problem is solved by powering on components sequentially.

My big issue with the Sony is that it only has one 4k input, which I currently have my Oppo 203 connected to, meaning I had to plug the Amazon Fire into the HDMI input of the Oppo. I had hoped the LX303 would function as a 4k switcher, but if it doesn't pass DV, I'm stuck with the same set-up as I'm using on my SC-81. Of course, I up-graded primarily for 9-channel Atmos and DTS-X, but I want DV also.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Would you care to elaborate on the "glitchy performance" issues? I have had apparent HDMI handshake issues with the 940E, mostly due to having a Darby in the video chain is what I thought. This problem is solved by powering on components sequentially.

My big issue with the Sony is that it only has one 4k input, which I currently have my Oppo 203 connected to, meaning I had to plug the Amazon Fire into the HDMI input of the Oppo. I had hoped the LX303 would function as a 4k switcher, but if it doesn't pass DV, I'm stuck with the same set-up as I'm using on my SC-81. Of course, I up-graded primarily for 9-channel Atmos and DTS-X, but I want DV also.

Thanks,

I had two display devices. An Optoma 4K Projector and the Sony 930D. One was connected to HDMI output A and the other on B. The Sony, even when turned off, seems to always have something going on in the background. While watching the projector, the Sony would send out a ping causing the projector output to go black for 10 seconds. This would happen several times an hour. The only workaround was to set the Pioneer receiver so it outputs to the projector only on HDMI output 2. When I wanted to have video to the Sony, I always had to manually switch it HDMI output 1. I could NEVER have HDMI output A+B turned on at the same time. When I switched to my LG OLED, all of these problems went away.

There were also several occasions when I would turn everything on and there would a black screen going to the Sony. The only workaround was to turn off the receiver then turn it back on again.

Sony makes great TV's, but honestly the quality of the software they are using is getting annoying. Also, Sony's prices are on the high end. My new LG OLED is amazing and cost much less than a Sony with the same features.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had two display devices. An Optoma 4K Projector and the Sony 930D. One was connected to HDMI output A and the other on B. The Sony, even when turned off, seems to always have something going on in the background. While watching the projector, the Sony would send out a ping causing the projector output to go black for 10 seconds. This would happen several times an hour. The only workaround was to set the Pioneer receiver so it outputs to the projector only on HDMI output 2. When I wanted to have video to the Sony, I always had to manually switch it HDMI output 1. I could NEVER have HDMI output A+B turned on at the same time. When I switched to my LG OLED, all of these problems went away.

There were also several occasions when I would turn everything on and there would a black screen going to the Sony. The only workaround was to turn off the receiver then turn it back on again."

Sony makes great TV's, but honestly the quality of the software they are using is getting annoying. Also, Sony's prices are on the high end. My new LG OLED is amazing and cost much less than a Sony with the same features.
Well, my intent had been to have both HDMI outs from the LX303 going to the Sony, one to the Sony 4k input with native 4k video, the other through the Darby to a Sony non-4k input with 1080p video. We'll see if/how this works. Of course, if the LX303 can't pass DV, then it's moot. I'll have to connect the Oppo directly to the Sony 4k input, and I'll only need one HDMI out from the receiver.

The blank screen on start-up, I believe, is a so-called HDMI handshake issue. I've suffered (and still suffer) through this with 3 different Pioneer receivers and 4 display devices, Sony and Mits TVs, Yamaha and JVC projectors. In my case, it's mostly, but not always, caused by the Darby.

I only have the Sony because I got a significant discount from MSRP from an authorized dealer with full warranty. Otherwise, I would have a Vizio P-series. Other than the input limitations of the Sony, we're very happy with it. Perhaps in 3 years or so we'll replace it with an LG OLED.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Does anybody know if the 503 will pass DV to the Sony TVs ? It looks like the 701 and 801 don't. Specificaly, I am interested in a receiver capable to passthrough DV to my Sony 75Z9D and the 503 looks like a candidate. Thank you for any help.

Just set up my new LX303, and it passes DV to my Sony 940E. I'm very happy about this because there is only one 4k-capable HDMI input on the Sony. So now I can use the receiver as a switcher instead of my Oppo 203, which only has a single HDMI input anyway.

Can't imagine why the LX503 wouldn't also pass DV to your 75Z9D.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Just set up my new LX303, and it passes DV to my Sony 940E. I'm very happy about this because there is only one 4k-capable HDMI input on the Sony. So now I can use the receiver as a switcher instead of my Oppo 203, which only has a single HDMI input anyway.

Can't imagine why the LX503 wouldn't also pass DV to your 75Z9D.
Thanks. Many receivers didn't pass DV to the Sonys because the DV implementation is different. If you have the Oppo 203 you know that only recently it became capable of sending DV to a Sony TV. I have seen many reports of problems with 2017 receivers, the reason of my question. Thank you very much for your reply. I am between the 503 and the Marantz SR612, which is now well discounted.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
I currently own an SC-85. I was reading the manual of the 503 and it's kind of vague on which pre outs are available for the external amp. Anybody on this forum using the external amp on the front preouts instead of the surround back?

Reactions: zryder

·
Registered
27 Posts
Fry's has lowered the price to $599 on the VSXLX502 but also has a promo code today for $120 off so $478. Too bad I don't need one...
Might be a dumb question but saw Frys calls it out as VSX-LX502 while Pioneer website and others has the model listed as SC-LX502. Just trying to confirm these are identical and just a model code mixup? Thanks.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Might be a dumb question but saw Frys calls it out as VSX-LX502 while Pioneer website and others has the model listed as SC-LX502. Just trying to confirm these are identical and just a model code mixup? Thanks.

The new 503 does not have Class D3 amps unlike the 502 and 501. It's too new to be discounted like that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The new 503 does not have Class D3 amps unlike the 502 and 501. It's too new to be discounted like that.
I ended up taking a chance after all store employees and ads said it was a VSX-LX502 (mis-marked by them and doesn't exist) and it was actually the SC-LX502. Quickly grabbed one since at that price the SC-502 is exactly what I needed and is about the cheapest I've paid for a receiver since I can remember. Was about to pull the trigger on a full priced one 2 weeks ago and glad I saw a poster above mention the Fry's discount and promo code.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
I ended up taking a chance after all store employees and ads said it was a VSX-LX502 (mis-marked by them and doesn't exist) and it was actually the SC-LX502. Quickly grabbed one since at that price the SC-502 is exactly what I needed and is about the cheapest I've paid for a receiver since I can remember. Was about to pull the trigger on a full priced one 2 weeks ago and glad I saw a poster above mention the Fry's discount and promo code.
You got a steal at $478! I paid $575 for mine from BB as a Like-New open box about a month ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pioneer 503 receiver and ATV 4K = No Dolby Atmos

Hi, I just purchased a Pioneer LX503 and have been trying to get Dolby Atmos to work via ATV 4K. Unfortunately, all Dolby streams result in no sound being processed. :frown: I've checked all the settings and updated all devices, unplugged the HDMI cables, but nothing seems to work. I am able to run Atmos through the receiver from the Xbox without any problems. Has anyone been able to get Atmos to stream through the TVos12 ATV 4K on this receiver yet? If not, I'm wondering if it will require a firmware update from Pioneer to work properly.

21 - 40 of 871 Posts