841 - 860 of 894 Posts

·
Registered
4,482 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
See here: https://jp.pioneer-audiovisual.com/manual/vsx933/supple_933.pdf

It's a shame how Pioneer doesn't make this information easily available. I don't even know why it doesn't just come enabled from the factory, or at least have an easy and obvious switch, like, I don't know, one of those thingies that you press and something changes.

i have had my 503, bought new from best buy, since 2018 and never knew about the earc setting, so i figured i’d check after you posted that link. mine was already on...and i never changed it.

so i am wondering if it changes automatically when an enhanced signal is detected based on hdmi cable quality.....or they simply set it from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
i have had my 503, bought new from best buy, since 2018 and never knew about the earc setting, so i figured i’d check after you posted that link. mine was already on...and i never changed it.

so i am wondering if it changes automatically when an enhanced signal is detected based on hdmi cable quality.....or they simply set it from the factory.

I'm also wondering what's the deal, cause the feature AFAICT was advertised since the beginning, but the instructions are in a supplemental material that presumably was added after a firmware update. In any case, the 503 I bought open-box (like new, seems it was returned unused) from Best Buy just a few months ago didn't have it enabled. I did restore it to factory settings as soon as I opened it, and upgraded the firmware.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pioneer VSX-LX503 ZONE 2 HELP

Helllo all,

I recently installed my Pioneer VSX-LX503 and am trying to set up zone 2 but having problems. I have two patio speakers and connected them both to zone 2 speaker on the back of the receiver, I am only able to get sound when i put the receiver in CD mode where I had connected my CD player. My main problem is that the Pioneer unit has Bluetooth and airplay but cant get any sound when i change the settings on the receiver to net or Bluetooth. What can I do?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good afternoon, I love this receiver so I decided to build a new Atmos system around it. What external amplifier is everyone using? Best suggestion to power the following setup?"

Front Stage:
  • L&R Klipsch RF-7III's
  • Center Klipsch RC-64 lll

In-ceiling Atmos:
  • 4X Klipsch Pro-180-RPC's

Surround:
  • Klipsch R-14S
  • Klipsch R-41SA

Amazingly the receiver itself pushed the current setup nicely. (4 ceiling speakers not installed yet) I've looked everywhere on what amp to use and so far can't find anything specific.

Thank you!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Good afternoon, I love this receiver so I decided to build a new Atmos system around it. What external amplifier is everyone using? Best suggestion to power the following setup?"

Front Stage:
  • L&R Klipsch RF-7III's
  • Center Klipsch RC-64 lll

In-ceiling Atmos:
  • 4X Klipsch Pro-180-RPC's

Surround:
  • Klipsch R-14S
  • Klipsch R-41SA

Amazingly the receiver itself pushed the current setup nicely. (4 ceiling speakers not installed yet) I've looked everywhere on what amp to use and so far can't find anything specific.

Thank you!

if you’re doing 5.1.4 you do not need an external amp. you only need one if you’re going to a 7.1.4. the lx503 is 9ch powered already but will process 11ch with an external amp.

i am currently running a 5.1.4 setup and it sounds pretty good with just the receiver.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
I plan on moving to a 7.2.4 configuration
Most people won't need an external amp. I think you'd be surprised at how loud, say, 20W of regular music/movies sounds. Unless you're in a big space and play sounds very loudly, you'll be good and will only need an external amp for the back surrounds when you upgrade to 7.x.4. I just dug up a very small Dayton DTA-100 that I wasn't using, I think it's like 30W RMS, my surrounds are Definitive Tech SM350 and it's all right. Since it doesn't have auto on/off or a 12V trigger input, I control it with this power strip. You can find several equivalents of that discontinued amp in the Parts Express site.

Even more, your speakers, especially your fronts, are very sensitive and will sound appreciably louder than most speakers, that's one of the things horn-loaded Klipschs are known for.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
He needs an external amp to do 7.x.4... 7+4 = 11 and a 503 has 9 channels of amplification.
With Klipsch speakers, odds are he won't need much power. Anything in the 60W+ range should do for surround backs.

·
Registered
582 Posts
i didnt realize how hot my LX503 ran until i put an AC infiniti T10 on top of it today.

works well at keeping it under 90 degrees.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Hey guys... I've been an owner of the VSX-LX503 for about 6 months now. Excellent receiver for the most part running 5.1.4 Atmos.

I've seen some comments regarding the fact that this receiver seems to run at a lower volume than what many are used to... Including myself. This unit literally has little to no volume from the starting point of -81.5db until about -54db. And anything under -40db is barely audible for a theater environment. (Of course ear sensitivity will vary per person)

With Roku Ultra source I have to crank this guy up to roughly -10db to actually enjoy sufficient volume... This of course is after MCAcc calibrations with a few tweaks for my liking.

Question... Is there any negative effects of cranking the speaker gain up in the setup so that I don't have to turn the volume knob so high up on the receiver?

I've done so about 5db per channel universally... There isnt any noticeable distortion and it makes me feel more comfortable about cranking the volume knob without causing excessive heat. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Hey guys... I've been an owner of the VSX-LX503 for about 6 months now. Excellent receiver for the most part running 5.1.4 Atmos.

I've seen some comments regarding the fact that this receiver seems to run at a lower volume than what many are used to... Including myself. This unit literally has little to no volume from the starting point of -81.5db until about -54db. And anything under -40db is barely audible for a theater environment. (Of course ear sensitivity will vary per person)

With Roku Ultra source I have to crank this guy up to roughly -10db to actually enjoy sufficient volume... This of course is after MCAcc calibrations with a few tweaks for my liking.

Question... Is there any negative effects of cranking the speaker gain up in the setup so that I don't have to turn the volume knob so high up on the receiver?

I've done so about 5db per channel universally... There isnt any noticeable distortion and it makes me feel more comfortable about cranking the volume knob without causing excessive heat. Any thoughts?
I've noticed that too. My Denon was much louder.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Question for Pioneer Elite Owners

Greetings good people,

I purchased the Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 back in November '19, as part of my upgrade to 5.1.4

Can you guys who have a similar unit or the same running a 5.1.4 setup, can you take a look at these photos and compare them to your own display, please? I am trying to understand this...

If I understand this correctly (and Im pretty sure I do), 5.1.4 is essentially 9.1 redistributed into 5.1.4 for Atmos Height Purposes.

If thats the case why when I indicate 5.1.4 in the Setup Menu of the receiver does the display only show (8) active channels indicated on the front display? Shouldn't it show (10) active channels like it manages to show when I change the Setup to 7.1.2? (which is also essentially 10 channels as well)

I am bit suspicious of this. Does your display show the same?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Greetings good people,

I purchased the Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503 back in November '19, as part of my upgrade to 5.1.4

Can you guys who have a similar unit or the same running a 5.1.4 setup, can you take a look at these photos and compare them to your own display, please? I am trying to understand this...

If I understand this correctly (and Im pretty sure I do), 5.1.4 is essentially 9.1 redistributed into 5.1.4 for Atmos Height Purposes.

If thats the case why when I indicate 5.1.4 in the Setup Menu of the receiver does the display only show (8) active channels indicated on the front display? Shouldn't it show (10) active channels like it manages to show when I change the Setup to 7.1.2? (which is also essentially 10 channels as well)

I am bit suspicious of this. Does your display show the same?

Thanks in advance.
If you notice, there are no lights for rear heights, but there are for rear surrounds. It's just that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
No Sound When Using Active HDMI Cable

I have a Pioneer VSX-LX503 receiver and I've had all my devices connected to it v.i.a. passive HDMI cables with no issues. I recently picked up a few active HDMI cables (much thinner for running cable) and when I connected my Cable Box and Blu ray player, there was no sound on either.

For *****s and giggles, I reversed the cables and didnt get audio or video, so I know the cables are installed correctly.

Any resolutions? Is this a common problem?

Here are the cables
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011M32RLI/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_beRZEbX73KBGW

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
I have a Pioneer VSX-LX503 receiver and I've had all my devices connected to it v.i.a. passive HDMI cables with no issues. I recently picked up a few active HDMI cables (much thinner for running cable) and when I connected my Cable Box and Blu ray player, there was no sound on either.

For *****s and giggles, I reversed the cables and didnt get audio or video, so I know the cables are installed correctly.

Here are the cables
You’re more likely to run into problems with non-bidirectional active HDMI cables, due specifically to the way the HDMI 2.0 “handshake” process works. Regular bidirectional cables are the safest option in all but the rarest of scenarios. If you must have slimmer cables, try these: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39851

·
Registered
1,875 Posts

Here are the cables
I'd stay away from Amazon, when it comes to quality HDMI cables. I went through a ton of them that didn't work well on a long run to my Epson 5050, even though reviews were good. I ended up trying a Blue Jeans 35' HDMI cable, and it's worked flawlessly. I'm not knocking Amazon, because I buy things from there every single day. I just think HDMI cables aren't a good idea from there. Buy from a dedicated cable site. If you end up trying Monoprice, make sure the cable says "Premium Certified".

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

841 - 860 of 894 Posts