AVS Forum banner

881 - 894 of 894 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mate, sorry to hear about the trouble. Is using a HDMI cable not an option? Ironically I've got a similar setup. VSX-LX503 and an Epson 5040ub, and I did run CAT6 through the roof as a future proofing option, but still using a HDMI cable at the moment.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am posting this here just to get it on the internet in case anyone has the same issue and is looking for a solution. I had searched for a solution everyone and couldn't find it:

I had problems getting 4K 60hz HDR to pass through my Pioneer receiver (I have the VSX-LX503, but the issue may be present with other models as well). It would pass through 4K 60hz or would pass through 1080p 60hz with HDR, but I could not get it to pass through 4K 60hz with HDR. I finally called Pioneer tech support, and they resolved the issue in about two minutes. Here's what to do.

1. Obviously make sure you have the latest firmware installed (I already did).
  2. Switch to "HDMI 4K: Enhanced" by holding down the DIMMER button and pressing the AUTO/DIRECT button.
That's it. Fixed. Function was not in any of the manuals. And it might have been nice for them to stick it in the receiver settings on screen software, but instead it's buried as a hidden feature. Maybe this will help someone else who's been puzzling over why they can't get 4K 60hz HDR to pass through their Pioneer receiver.

·
Registered
385 Posts
That's why after 20 years, I'm going back to Yamaha or Marantz.

"OP, No Siree!"
"YMD, That's for Me!"

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's why after 20 years, I'm going back to Yamaha or Marantz.

"OP, No Siree!"
"YMD, That's for Me!"

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
Haha! Well, now that I have activated the hidden feature, it works great! So I cannot complain. Especially since I got a receiver that can process 7.4.1 Atmos for a paltry $300.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Pioneer VSX-LX503 reciever fails to pass through Dolby Visio video when watching Midway 4K bluray disc on the Panasonic UB820, I only get audio. I get video output when the bluray player is connected directly to the LG CX but not when the bluray player is connected to the reciever. Has anyone experienced this? I have tried multiple HDMI cables.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
That's what mine looks like. My question was shouldn't the Output say TrueHD too though? It just says Atmos.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
It WOULD be nice if it did.

However, I looked into it some more and it just seems this is the style that Pioneer chose to go with. I tested it some more to just make sure myself and you can see in the photos... using the same audio source material, choosing different soundtracks, the actual display on the receiver shows you how many of the attached speakers are being utilized to output sound.

Based on that information, I think its safe to assume that this is the true indication of what the Receiver is actually outputting.

NOTE: For both instances I am not adding any additional sound processing.

*The DD Ex Stream is not being up-mixed to 5.1.4

Hope this clears things up a bit. Although, I agree it should be a bit more simpler to determine.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
And it might have been nice for them to stick it in the receiver settings on screen software, but instead it's buried as a hidden feature. Maybe this will help someone else who's been puzzling over why they can't get 4K 60hz HDR to pass through their Pioneer receiver.
It's not in the manual because this was feature was added into firmware after the initial release of the product with the manual. It's a pain to send in a tech writer and copy writer to tweak the layout a document as complex as a technical manual with scores of pages. I bet the release notes with the firmware updates mentioned this. I know it's easy to just do the update without reading all the fine print, but it could've saved you a lot of time.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
My Pioneer VSX-LX503 reciever fails to pass through Dolby Visio video when watching Midway 4K bluray disc on the Panasonic UB820, I only get audio. I get video output when the bluray player is connected directly to the LG CX but not when the bluray player is connected to the reciever. Has anyone experienced this? I have tried multiple HDMI cables.
Go into secret menu and be sure "Enhanced" is selected for that HDMI input...

For instructions on how to enter secret menu, check the last 2-3 pages of this thread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go into secret menu and be sure "Enhanced" is selected for that HDMI input...

For instructions on how to enter secret menu, check the last 2-3 pages of this thread.
I never knew about this "Secret Menu", however, once I accessed it, I was already set up on 4K Enhanced. Although my receiver is about a year old, can't imagine this was done from Firmware updates. Speaking of which, has anyone else receive Firmware v 1081-1000-1060-0011? My LX503 updated last night and I can't find any change history related to this update. I have no clue what changes have been made or improvements. Hoping someone here does :sneaky:

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
I never knew about this "Secret Menu", however, once I accessed it, I was already set up on 4K Enhanced. Although my receiver is about a year old, can't imagine this was done from Firmware updates. Speaking of which, has anyone else receive Firmware v 1081-1000-1060-0011? My LX503 updated last night and I can't find any change history related to this update. I have no clue what changes have been made or improvements. Hoping someone here does :sneaky:
There is a change log here (just bug fixes): VSX-LX303, VSX-LX503 | Firmware Update | Support | Pioneer Home Audio Visual

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
OK so I ran into something weird. I'm not 100% sure but I thought I could enable any surround mode including Dolby Surround when using network streaming (Chromecast built-in). I was just listening to music today and I could only choose between stereo and Ext. Stereo, there were no other surround modes available. Pure Direct is also unavailable.

Has this been a thing all this time? I could have sworn I tried the other modes before but it might have been with a Chromecast Audio connected over SPDIF.

I also upgraded to the 1081 firmware (pdf) recently so I don't know if that changed anything.

881 - 894 of 894 Posts