AVS Forum banner

941 - 960 of 961 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I believe you might have better luck asking on the subwoofer forum. As far as I know, you only adjust the sub settings via the back panel (on the sub itself) not in the AVR. The only setting you adjust on the AVR for the sub as far as I know is the channel level once it has been calibrated, but that is if you want to rub the subwoofer HOT. Like say, the MCACC calibrates your subwoofer trim level to -10, you can adjust it to -6 to run it 4db hot.

Just remember that the subwoofer might have a different response in your room vs someone else's room, so it will depend on the in-room gain.

And if you have multiple subs you might be better off adjusting/integrating both with a MiniDSP , but again you would get a much better answer/informative response on the Subwoofer forum section. Good luck!
Posted in the sub forum. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Apple TV 4K with TVOS 14.5 connected to receiver with certified premium HDMI cable, receiver connected to LG OLED TV. Dolby Vision works great. Dolby Atmos not so much. Receiver says it’s receiving Atmos but outputting 2,1, in the past the output was 5.1 or 7.1
This is true for multiple streaming services. My Roku Ultra works fine!
Help!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Apple TV 4K with TVOS 14.5 connected to receiver with certified premium HDMI cable, receiver connected to LG OLED TV. Dolby Vision works great. Dolby Atmos not so much. Receiver says it’s receiving Atmos but outputting 2,1, in the past the output was 5.1 or 7.1
This is true for multiple streaming services. My Roku Ultra works fine!
Help!
Have you made sure you were not in stereo mode? Press the auto/direct button for the automatic or direct modes.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Have you made sure you were not in stereo mode? Press the auto/direct button for the automatic or direct modes.
Is this setting unique to the hdmi input? As I said Roku Ultra on a different input works just fine. Will give it a try.
Thanks for the suggestion

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Yes, each input of the receiver has its own sound settings saved.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Yes, each input of the receiver has its own sound settings saved.
The auto/direct fixed the problem. Atmos in, 7.1.2 output. Again: many, many thanks !!
ATV 4k Dolby Vision seems slightly better than on the Roku Ultra, now I can start using the Apple most of the time again.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Another question: 1 reason I purchased this receiver was that it had Bluetooth, seems that it is only Bluetooth input, no output. Occasionally Iate at night I would like to mute the speakers & use my Bluetooth headphones. Anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish this

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Unfortunately headphones options are pretty barebones on this AVR but most sources nowadays have BT headphones options, like TVs and streaming boxes. If yours don't have it you'll need to get a BT transmitter.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Unfortunately headphones options are pretty barebones on this AVR but most sources nowadays have BT headphones options, like TVs and streaming boxes. If yours don't have it you'll need to get a BT transmitter.
My TV, ATV4K, Roku Ultra, all have Bluetooth output, so no problem there My problem is my Spectrum DVR, no Bluetooth, I don’t know if it’s optical out is active when the hdmi is connected. I had not thought of trying DVR directly, thanks for triggering the thought in my brain 👍

·
Registered
154 Posts
Anyone had luck getting this receiver to work with eARC? I’ve got a LG CX and a Shield Pro, but cannot for the life of me get sound to play when eARC is enabled.

I have CEC enabled with ARC/eARC set to auto on the receiver. I have eARC turned on in the CX settings, along with Passthrough enabled for the Digital Sound output setting. No sound when I try to play a high quality source though. I do get sound when I’m just going through the menus on the Shield though. I also get sound if I just use regular ARC. I’ve tried everything I can think of, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Anyone had luck getting this receiver to work with eARC? I’ve got a LG CX and a Shield Pro, but cannot for the life of me get sound to play when eARC is enabled.

I have CEC enabled with ARC/eARC set to auto on the receiver. I have eARC turned on in the CX settings, along with Passthrough enabled for the Digital Sound output setting. No sound when I try to play a high quality source though. I do get sound when I’m just going through the menus on the Shield though. I also get sound if I just use regular ARC. I’ve tried everything I can think of, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
On my C9 and the CX, there is another HDMI option called HDMI Input Audio Format, it needs to be set to bitstream, not PCM, it's kinda confusing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
What amp do you guys recommend when going to a 7.2.4 setup? Not anything budget busting...
Also, I bought a pair of R-820f's. Will this A/V unit power them or should I get a separate amp for them also?
Ive had this unit for a few years now I am just moving and decided to upgrade the speakers.
One more thing, its an open floor plan so I got these for the rear surrounds to go in the ceiling:
Seating is roughly 15 ft from the wall where the TV and front speakers will be.
I also got 2 R12 sw's.
L/R surrounds will be in-walls (monoprice 6-1/2" Amber 3 ways) since I have them already. Height speakers are going to be Monoprice 8" also. I will most likely upgrade all of those later Im just reaching the end of my budget once I purchased a new TV
Here is the floorplan. We didnt opt for the fireplace. Ceilings are also only 8'..
Room is roughly 37x19 total.
Open to comments on the setup. I do have budget constraints since the wife has plans for about $10,000 in new furniture/decor.
I also want to mention that we dont listen to any music in the home. This is just strictly for movie watching.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
What amp do you guys recommend when going to a 7.2.4 setup? Not anything budget busting...
Also, I bought a pair of R-820f's. Will this A/V unit power them or should I get a separate amp for them also?
Ive had this unit for a few years now I am just moving and decided to upgrade the speakers.
One more thing, its an open floor plan so I got these for the rear surrounds to go in the ceiling:
Seating is roughly 15 ft from the wall where the TV and front speakers will be.
I also got 2 R12 sw's.
L/R surrounds will be in-walls (monoprice 6-1/2" Amber 3 ways) since I have them already. Height speakers are going to be Monoprice 8" also. I will most likely upgrade all of those later Im just reaching the end of my budget once I purchased a new TV
Here is the floorplan. We didnt opt for the fireplace. Ceilings are also only 8'..
Room is roughly 37x19 total.
Open to comments on the setup. I do have budget constraints since the wife has plans for about $10,000 in new furniture/decor.
I also want to mention that we dont listen to any music in the home. This is just strictly for movie watching.
View attachment 3141531
View attachment 3141532
Klipsch speakers have very high sensitivity including those, so they should be fine. You can just get an amp later if it's not loud enough for you. The extra stereo amp will be powering the back rear surrounds so it also doesn't need to be too powerful.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Klipsch speakers have very high sensitivity including those, so they should be fine. You can just get an amp later if it's not loud enough for you. The extra stereo amp will be powering the back rear surrounds so it also doesn't need to be too powerful.
What AMP would you recommend?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Prices for used audio gear has skyrocketed! I was looking to upgrade from my Denon AVR-3400H (7.2 Ch) to a 9.2 Ch receiver that has Pre-Outs for Front Channels (I use a dedicated Amp to drive my Magnepans). Prices for 9.2 Ch receivers are over the roof. Used gear is selling for hundreds more than pre-covid. In any case, I managed to snag an open-box 503 from OneCall. It arrived last week but seemed to have a problem where it would shutdown completely when trying to do the MCACC calibration. And no, I don't have any shorts in my 6.1.2 setup wiring. I know because the 7.2 setup used the same speakers (except for the newly added height speakers). And the problem persisted even when I unplugged all the surround speakers. Resetting the receiver to Factory Defaults finally made it behave but then it shutdown again and would show AMP DIAG screen which aborted in between and it would shut down again. And no, the Amp is not inside a enclosed cabinet, its in an open cabinet with room temp set to 72F.

To make a long story short, OneCall paid to ship it back and are sending me another one of the same.
So the question for current 503 owners in this forum is ... would you say your 503 in 9.2 setup works without these hitches. Also, is there a way to turn off the front amplifier since I am using Pre-Outs for the front two channels?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Prices for used audio gear has skyrocketed! I was looking to upgrade from my Denon AVR-3400H (7.2 Ch) to a 9.2 Ch receiver that has Pre-Outs for Front Channels (I use a dedicated Amp to drive my Magnepans). Prices for 9.2 Ch receivers are over the roof. Used gear is selling for hundreds more than pre-covid. In any case, I managed to snag an open-box 503 from OneCall. It arrived last week but seemed to have a problem where it would shutdown completely when trying to do the MCACC calibration. And no, I don't have any shorts in my 6.1.2 setup wiring. I know because the 7.2 setup used the same speakers (except for the newly added height speakers). And the problem persisted even when I unplugged all the surround speakers. Resetting the receiver to Factory Defaults finally made it behave but then it shutdown again and would show AMP DIAG screen which aborted in between and it would shut down again. And no, the Amp is not inside a enclosed cabinet, its in an open cabinet with room temp set to 72F.

To make a long story short, OneCall paid to ship it back and are sending me another one of the same.
So the question for current 503 owners in this forum is ... would you say your 503 in 9.2 setup works without these hitches. Also, is there a way to turn off the front amplifier since I am using Pre-Outs for the front two channels?

Quick question about your 503, did you at any point select "bi amp" or such, in the settings? I only ask because when I set up my new speakers I accidentally set as Bi Amp and it shut down during the MCACC calibration and then gave me the "Amp failure / Diag" message on my 503 screen. I thought I broke it, or my speakers, but I went into the settings and removed the bi amp setting and it worked fine afterwards.

Go from Main Menu screen to >>> "System Setup" >>> "Speaker" >>> Configuration >>> and see if "Bi-Amp" is on/yes, if it is, turn it to off/No

Also to note: I am using my 503 in a 7.1.2 setup, as I do not have a second pair of Atmos speakers or a second Amp to power those.

You say you are using it as a 9.2 with the height/atmos, you connected them to an external amp and then to the "surround back" pre-outs, correct?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Quick question about your 503, did you at any point select "bi amp" or such, in the settings? I only ask because when I set up my new speakers I accidentally set as Bi Amp and it shut down during the MCACC calibration and then gave me the "Amp failure / Diag" message on my 503 screen. I thought I broke it, or my speakers, but I went into the settings and removed the bi amp setting and it worked fine afterwards.

Go from Main Menu screen to >>> "System Setup" >>> "Speaker" >>> Configuration >>> and see if "Bi-Amp" is on/yes, if it is, turn it to off/No

Also to note: I am using my 503 in a 7.1.2 setup, as I do not have a second pair of Atmos speakers or a second Amp to power those.

You say you are using it as a 9.2 with the height/atmos, you connected them to an external amp and then to the "surround back" pre-outs, correct?
Thanks for your response. BI-Amp was off. I have a 4.1.4 setup (page 53 of manual) and doesn’t require an external amp.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks for your response. BI-Amp was off. I have a 4.1.4 setup (page 53 of manual) and doesn’t require an external amp.

Ah okay I see, I am not sure then, I thought it might be a similar scenario but looks like I was wrong.

Good news is that they are sending you a new one

941 - 960 of 961 Posts