AVS Forum banner

6921 - 6940 of 6949 Posts

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
6) After test tones are done, go into Manual MCAAC--->EQ Professional------>Reverb View , and you can analyze the frequency response of individual channels at various frequencies. Based upon that data, you would select the appropriate capture delay time for MCAAC to capture data during for the upcoming EQ calibration.

Change that time frame under Manual MCAAC--->EQ Professional------>Advanced EQ Setup to whatever you decide is the appropriate capture delay time ....(Pioneer recommends 30-50 ms, but they encourage you to analyze the data under reverb view first and refer to the advanced MCAAc software manual for analysis purposes). Note: the default capture delay time is than 80-160 ms.
I finally stumbled across an explanation for this.
From Toole, The Measurement and Calibration of Sound Reproducing Systems

"Frequency Dependent Windowing (FDW) is the common theme of DSP software like Audiolense, Acourate, Dirac, Denis' DRC RePhase, and others. The idea is that the analysis and correction windows is long at low frequencies and sliding shorter as frequency increases: e.g. 750ms @ 20 Hz, 100ms @ 100Hz, 15ms at 1 kHz, and less than a millisecond @ 20 kHz. This more closely represents what we hear in small room acoustics. Acoustic and Psychoacoustic Issues in Room Correction by JJ Johnston explains why we hear what we hear in small room acoustics, hence why FDW.

So there is an element of the room at low frequencies, in addition to the speaker being equalized and as frequency increases the amount of room sound is windowed out to the point of just shaping the direct sound to match a target response for neutral, accurate sound reproduction."

Michael

·
Registered
342 Posts
Is there any MCACC tutorial?
Hi guys. I've been a long time owner of a Pioneer VSX-1120. I've read a few threads about the MCACC calibration. During those years I can tell that Ive learned something new every time I read. The thing is that after all those years I don't think I know the half of it. So that is why I post my question today. Are there any tutorials on how to do the MCACC speaker calibrations? I'd be the first in line to watch any videos about it. Please let me know.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
The first post in this thread has as good a summary as you'll find anywhere.
If you seriously want to get "into" calibration, you need this:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-a...surement-techniques-how-interpret-graphs.html
Beware the rabbit hole (see "Welcome" link in sig).
Michael
Michael

Thanks for your answer. I don't know if the link you posted changed but it took me to a lot of other threads. Could you help me get where I was supposed to?

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
That's where you belong if you're really interested in calibration. You need a mic (~$100) and software (free) and a lot of time.
Most of the efforts are concentrated on subs, but often subtle changes in the position of the mains can make a big difference. Usually, they should be angled slightly inward to the mlp and placed away from any walls, tweeter at ear level.
You might be happy just re-running MCACC (multiposition, if you care about more than one seat) in different memories and comparing the results by ear.
Don't forget to change the speakers back to "small" and the xo to (usually) 80.
Michael

·
Registered
342 Posts
That's where you belong if you're really interested in calibration. You need a mic (~$100) and software (free) and a lot of time.
Most of the efforts are concentrated on subs, but often subtle changes in the position of the mains can make a big difference. Usually, they should be angled slightly inward to the mlp and placed away from any walls, tweeter at ear level.
You might be happy just re-running MCACC (multiposition, if you care about more than one seat) in different memories and comparing the results by ear.
Don't forget to change the speakers back to "small" and the xo to (usually) 80.
Michael
So I undertand that what you are suggesting is to calibrate speakers not using MCACC with receiver but instead use a computer with some sort of calibration mic an software?

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
No.
REW is just a measurement tool. It will tell you what MCACC has done for your overall response. Since MCACC doesn't do subs, it's most useful for calibrating subs with an external device such as a miniDSP.
There are limited changes you can make within MCACC (I boost the midrange and volume of the center speaker to help my old ears with dialog, for example).
You can also see (as opposed to hear) what any changes in position and angulation of your speakers have.
Certainly not necessary, but a very interesting aspect of the hobby if you are so inclined.
Otherwise, as I suggested, just follow the guidelines and use different memory setting to compare results. I like all channel adjust; others prefer symmetry. I actually did notice a difference changing the capture delay time, as discussed, above.
Michael

·
Registered
342 Posts
No.
REW is just a measurement tool. It will tell you what MCACC has done for your overall response. Since MCACC doesn't do subs, it's most useful for calibrating subs with an external device such as a miniDSP.
There are limited changes you can make within MCACC (I boost the midrange and volume of the center speaker to help my old ears with dialog, for example).
You can also see (as opposed to hear) what any changes in position and angulation of your speakers have.
Certainly not necessary, but a very interesting aspect of the hobby if you are so inclined.
Otherwise, as I suggested, just follow the guidelines and use different memory setting to compare results. I like all channel adjust; others prefer symmetry. I actually did notice a difference changing the capture delay time, as discussed, above.
Michael
All this sounds great and I would love to get into it but don't want to spend more money since I'm saving for a new TV this year. I will download the app and check it but I do not have other mic than the one that came with the receiver.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Don't download the app without the guide mentioned in the thread and linked in my sig. We'll be waiting for you after you get the TV. ;)
Michael

·
Registered
730 Posts
MCACC ( not the base but the Advanced and Pro versjons) does EQ subs contrary to what was said above. What exact frequencies, resolution of filters, it is EQing is another matter entirely...

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Info from Pio is useless, but I found this on a thread of another Pro owner:
"EQ Adjust"
8-band graphic EQ (125, 250, 500, 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16kHz) each "small" channel, except SW.
SW: 4-band graphic EQ (31, 63, 125, 250Hz)
Trim for each channel ±12dB
Not what anyone here would consider terribly useful sub eq.
Michael

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
MCACC ( not the base but the Advanced and Pro versjons) does EQ subs contrary to what was said above. What exact frequencies, resolution of filters, it is EQing is another matter entirely...
My REW measurements do not support your claim. MCACC "advanced" does nothing in the bass region.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Probably just as well with only two filters at 31 and 63 Hz. Couldn't do much if it had to.
Might be interesting to change those two filters manually and then measure.
Michael

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
My REW measurements do not support your claim. MCACC "advanced" does nothing in the bass region.
I believe that sub EQ was added with MCACC PRO. There is a Pioneer document that shows sub EQ for both Advanced and Pro, but I think it was an error. My SC-77 with MCACC Advanced definitely does not have subwoofer EQ.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hello everyone, I had a question / issue regarding the MCACC from my Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503.

Previously I had my speakers set to small and crossed at 80hz with my previous sub. When I just replaced that sub with a newer stronger sub and the 3 times I ran FULL MCACC it keeps setting the crossover to 150 hz and the Fronts/Center to Large, while the rest are small.

Can someone confirm if this is an issue or If it is okay to go ahead and switch ALL the speakers back to SMALL and set to Crossover 80 hz? Or if there is something that is causing a problem, making it cross at 150hz during calibration?

Setup:

Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503
Fronts: Klipsch R-625FA
Center: Klipsch RC62-II
Side Surrounds: Klipsch RP-502S
Rear Surrounds: Klipsch R-51M
Subwoofer : Rhythmik FV15HP

I have asked in the klipsch thread about this but was directed to this thread as it is more related to MCACC calibration rather than the speakers. Any help / input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again :)

Edit: The only Thing i changed from before to now is the Subwoofer, which is set to crossover MAX, per the Subwoofers installation / dial in guide, and phase to 0, not sure if this is an issue with the MCACC or not.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Nope. That's what it does. Always has and, apparently, always will.
Just manually change the xo to 80 and the speakers to small.
Unless you have the ability to measure and adjust accordingly (see REW link in sig).
Michael

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thank you very much , I was confused and worried something was wrong, i will manually change to small and cross at 80 hz, thanks so much

·
Registered
213 Posts
Quick question, is there a way to do an MCACC where it just reconfigures the sub trim accordingly? For the times when manually adjust the gain knob on the woofer itself, and have to re-run the MCACC to see how the trim was adjusted, or is the only way the full MCACC each time?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there a way to balance the sound properly without starting with the MCACC auto configuration? My microphone broke and just can't find where to get a new one...
I can eg. turn up the volume on the center speaker to hear dialogue better, but it just sounds terrible without going into the EQ, but I have no idea what to aim for or where to start when in there.
Have a Pioneer VSX 933.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Anyone had issues when running after adding a sub. No matter what I set the volume knob on the sub, MCACC always ends up with the subwoofer level at +6.5 to +7. I’ve tried setting the knob at 9,12, 3, and 6 o clock and it still ends up at +6.5 or +7.

6921 - 6940 of 6949 Posts