AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 1115 Posts

·
Registered
28,460 Posts
SC-1222 uses Class D amps which will be more powerful and run cooler than the Class AB amps in the 1123.

SC-1222 MSRP is $1100, basically an Elite SC-61 I believe.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/SC-1222-K

VSX-1123 is $599
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-1123-K

SC-1222 is about 10lbs heavier and the amp section is rated to handle 4 ohm loads.

VSX-1123 is newer and has 8 HDMI inputs and 2 outputs. SC-1222 7 inputs and one HDMI output.

·
Registered
1 Posts
!!!Just bought them on Newegg.com!!!

Pioneer 7.2 Channel AV Receiver, VSX-1123-K @$399

Pioneer SW-8MK2 Andrew Jones Designed 100-Watt Powered Subwoofer @$79

Yeah, I'm so budget limited that I didn't buy any other speakers yet.

Hurry, guys~~ Don't miss these deals.

Any suggestion on speakers? (I'm considering some, for example JBL es30, Audioengine P4, to settle 2.1 first.)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I've been reading that subs don't sound as well or dig as deep with the 1222(or maybe it's just MCACC in general). Can anyone chime in on this please?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Depends on your thinking as "deep" The 1223-K does just fine with my VTF-3 MK4. Some have found you need to "cheat" a bit when calibrating any pioneer receiver, if you are not satisfied with the base. I've seen that discussed often on the forum now and then. Dunno about the 1222 in particular, however.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter  /t/1475468/official-pioneer-vsx-1123-k-owners-thread/120#post_23594844

I've been reading that subs don't sound as well or dig as deep with the 1222(or maybe it's just MCACC in general). Can anyone chime in on this please?

If you look over at the MCACC thread a current "cheat" is to increase the Sub Trim level by 3 db, some swear by it, I hardly noticed the difference.

I can also guarantee that most people that complain about not digging deep are not playing with the settings to get the sound they desire.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hmmm it just seems weird to have to do something like this for the money you pay for both the receiver and the sub. I was sold on the Pioneer AVR's but now i'm not so sure. I want the best bass and quality I can get out of my sub and it sounds a little hazy if these Pioneer's can do that.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The Pioneer can do anything you will it to, just like when you buy a TV you need to optimize the performance.

On a TV that would equate to adjusting the colours, sharpness, brigtness, etc.

With your receiver you will need to do the same adjustments with your audio.

Having owned a Harman Kardon and now Pioneer, the Pioneer sound options and adjustments dwarf those of the HK.

You can fine tune your audio to however you would like it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
But how easy is it. For me if I do too much tweaking then the sound difference gets all jumbled together and I can't really tell a difference unless it's glaringly obvious.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
How difficult is it?

I don't know, that all depends on your level of expertise and your willingness to read a little.

Initially you would want to run the Advanced MCACC in your room, then copy the results to the other save slots, 5 of them.

This way if you screw something up you can later overwrite the screwed up settings with one of the other saved ones.

You don't have to change anything after running MCACC, you might like what it sounds like.

However reading AVS the majority of people make a few changes to their setup such as, setting all speakers to Small in turn letting the Sub handle all the lows.

Moving the Xover frequency between 80Hz - 120Hz, sounds over 80Hz become directional.

Then the mentioned addition of +3 db to the Sub Trim level.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is in reply to post #6. Regarding display, detection of signal and output.

I think I have the same issue. My last receiver was a Sony, and when it detected a Dolby True signal, it really lit up. The Pioneer doesn't seem to show anything different on the display. In fact, all I see on the display is left and right speakers playing. You can toggle through different sound effects but on Blue Ray discs with a rich sound, nothing but L and R show up as playing

Sounds great, so I hope this is just a setting or set up issue. I read a review the other day that said HDMI cables are directional and you have to know which one is input or output. What??

·
Registered
725 Posts
Only HDMI cables with amps built in are directional. These are usually longer lengths.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I cant get HDMI CEC to work on this new receiver. Worked fine on the old HDMI receiver. Everything is turned on and I followed the instructions. The TV will not turn on/off the receiver or adjust the volume from the TV remote.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnoviceat57  /t/1475468/official-pioneer-vsx-1123-k-owners-thread/120#post_23609023

This is in reply to post #6. Regarding display, detection of signal and output.

I think I have the same issue. My last receiver was a Sony, and when it detected a Dolby True signal, it really lit up. The Pioneer doesn't seem to show anything different on the display. In fact, all I see on the display is left and right speakers playing. You can toggle through different sound effects but on Blue Ray discs with a rich sound, nothing but L and R show up as playing

Sounds great, so I hope this is just a setting or set up issue. I read a review the other day that said HDMI cables are directional and you have to know which one is input or output. What??

Yoiu should see the signal type on your front display, True HD, DTS, PCM, Stereo, etc.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yungmike513  /t/1475468/official-pioneer-vsx-1123-k-owners-thread/120#post_23611801

I cant get HDMI CEC to work on this new receiver. Worked fine on the old HDMI receiver. Everything is turned on and I followed the instructions. The TV will not turn on/off the receiver or adjust the volume from the TV remote.

I find the CEC on LG TV's is less then stellar and a pain to set up.

I can't really tell if it is the TV or the Receiver though.

I could set up my Samsung and test that theory.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist_To_Resist  /t/1475468/official-pioneer-vsx-1123-k-owners-thread/120#post_23604855

How difficult is it?

I don't know, that all depends on your level of expertise and your willingness to read a little.

Initially you would want to run the Advanced MCACC in your room, then copy the results to the other save slots, 5 of them.

This way if you screw something up you can later overwrite the screwed up settings with one of the other saved ones.

You don't have to change anything after running MCACC, you might like what it sounds like.

However reading AVS the majority of people make a few changes to their setup such as, setting all speakers to Small in turn letting the Sub handle all the lows.

Moving the Xover frequency between 80Hz - 120Hz, sounds over 80Hz become directional.

Then the mentioned addition of +3 db to the Sub Trim level.
Does that mean if the receiver set the subwoofer to -5 it should go to -2, or -8?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
There is a new FW out for the receiver. I just updated today via internet update in the menu.

Release date 06-14-2013

Ver 1-134-020-016-085

- Control 4 update

- Improve the stability of HDMI connection.

EDIT:

It seems that the new firmware update fixed my issues with ARC, now it works like a champ with my LG TV.

·
Registered
725 Posts
A review here for those that missed it:

http://www.hometheater.com/content/pioneer-vsx-1123-av-receiver

The review contains some information on pio product differences and relevance. It also mentions a few adjustments for the kind of material you are listening to. This unit replaced a digital amp that was out of date feature-wise and I can confirm what was mentioned. It has that "pioneer" sound.

121 - 140 of 1115 Posts