AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Official Pioneer VSX-532/832 A/V Receivers Owners Thread

I figure I'll start a thread for Pioneer models VSX-532 and VSX-832, I see not a lot of people are talking about them, for those who actually do own one of these three receivers can finally share their views about them here. Here are the notable technical aspects & features for 532 and 832. Keep in mind all of them were released last year which was 2017.

VSX-532:
-Up to 5.1 channel surround sound
-Built-in Bluetooth Wireless Technology (ver. 3.0)
-MCACC Auto Room Tuning
-Up to 4 HDMI inputs and all of them support 4K passthrough with HDCP 2.2 certification and HDR10 support
-Obviously supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio

VSX-832:
-Up to 5.1 channel surround sound or 3.1.2 object surround sound (unfortunately only for Dolby Atmos and its Dolby Surround upmixer)
-Supports Dolby Atmos (will require a firmware update for that) and DTS:X
-MCACC Auto Room Tuning
-Built-in Dual Band Wi-Fi which means you can enjoy internet music services like Pandora and Spotify
-Chromecast built-in and support for DTS Play-Fi
-Up to 4 HDMI inputs and all of them support 4K passthrough with HDCP 2.2 certification and support for both HDR10 and Dolby Vision, even offers 4K upscaling for non-4K devices

Which one of these receivers you own? Do you love it, like it, dislike it, or hate it and why? I'll even allow everyone to price talk and bring up deals for those who are looking forward to owning a Pioneer AVR, have fun.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
8 Posts
Own the vsx-832 paired with the pioneer sp-pk52fs 5.1 setup and love it. The setup was easy, outputs some good power and love the sound. Wish there was a dedicated phono input on the receiver but its not a deal breaker. Only complaint I have is the receiver clicks when the audio source switches from 5.1 to 2.0 while watching tv and whatnot. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone tried any of the dolby atmos stuff with it?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
VSX-832:
-Supports Dolby Atmos (will require a firmware update for that) and DTS:X up to aforementioned height channels
Warning: VSX-832 does NOT support DTS:X in a 3.1.2 configuration, only Dolby Atmos and DSU (Dolby Surround Upmixer) - if you read the marketing materials you will notice the small writing: "Except audio signals encoded by DTS formats"...

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Warning: VSX-832 does NOT support DTS:X in a 3.1.2 configuration, only Dolby Atmos and DSU (Dolby Surround Upmixer) - if you read the marketing materials you will notice the small writing: "Except audio signals encoded by DTS formats"...
Read it and true, editing time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased the VSX-832 as it states it does 4K upscaling from a 1080P input, but it is not working. I talked to the Pioneer support and he thought it should be working also, but could not figure out why.

Here is what I have setup:

Cox Communications HD box set to 1080P out via HDMI. Connected to VSX-832 and then outputting to Samsung UN55F9000. 4K upscaling set to auto on the VSX-832. Pressing info shows the Pioneer getting a 1080P signal, but the TV shows it as a 1080P signal also and not 2160(4K). I plug in my Sony AX-53 4K camcorder to any HDMI input on the VSX-832 and get 4K (2160) on my TV. So the pass-through works and the TV is definitely recognizing a 4K signal, but the VSX-832 is not upscaling the cable TV signal to 4K. Any ideas? The Pioneer support guy says it should, but I am thinking it really does not do this and I need a different receiver to perform this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Firmware Update Fixes Much

I just bought a VSX 832 and am getting familiar with it. So far I give it a B+, especially being able to control whole house audio via the phone app. I'm driving three pairs of 2-ch stereo and a sub no problem.

A couple things I've learned:
  1. Updating the firmware via Wifi is simple using the instructions in the manual and took about 5 minutes.
  2. I noticed no difference between a std HDMI and a high speed HDMI cable on HDMI OUT (but I don't have a 4K TV)
  3. It's best to go through the entire System Set Up routine using the Pioneer remote with the manual to ensure you set all and optimize all the functions.
  4. There are several phone apps available (including 3rd part apps) but the unit they work with isn't clearly noted. The correct one is the "Pioneer Remote" phone app with the Pioneer blue triangle log. The app doesn't provide much receiver set-up function so use it only after the unit set-up via the remote is complete.
  5. I thought that CEC provided some control of the TV via HDMI, but the app does not control the TV at all regardless if HDMI-CEC is on or off.

:D 9/12/2018 Update
The unit reported that a firmware update was available. After installation, the response to Android phone commands is significantly better. Seems the CEC bugs were fixed as it finally switches directly between cable, net and DVD player without using the TV remote to change inputs. Will update again when I've used more of the previously buggy functions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I have the VSX-832 together with Audio Pro (5.0) speakers.
I use it with a HTPC (NUC), TiVo and PS4. The TV is a LG 65SJ850V.
Everything is connected via HDMI. The receiver is connected to Internet via cable.

I have three questions that I hope someone can help me answer;

1. Are there different variants/versions of HDMI-cables?

2. I cant update firmware to the latest version. In the menu both USB and Network are greyd out. I have 1060-7010-0050-0008 at the moment. Any idea?

3. When watching 2.0 (stereo) media (for example HBO Nordic via HTPC), which listening mode would you use for the best suround experience?

Thanks in advance!

//Håkan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pioneer Thermal Error

I came home tonight and turned on my Pioneer VSX-832 Receiver. "Thermal Error" shows up on the display and unit shuts off. I unplugged it and replugged it in a few minutes later. Same message. I "reset" the unit according to the instructions towards the end of the owners manual... still the same message. The unit worked normally a couple of nights ago when it was used last. It's less than two years old. It's probably out of factory warranty. Is there a fix or am I screwed out of $350?

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Make sure U have provided the recommended free-air clearance around the unit, 4-5" for the L/R sides and top cover. Also do not stack any component on top of the AVR.

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
If you disconnect the speakers, does the error remain? (That test is for a short in the speaker wires.)

If so, the receiver probably needs repair. Whether that would be cost-effective, I don't know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pioneer VSX832—Microphone Setup?

Hello— I’m an av novice— we had our surround sound system professionally installed— and I’m learning as I go. I want to set up microphones to connect to my pioneer VSX832 receiver so that the microphone can be used with my fire tv, wifi/Bluetooth for karaoke. I’m aware that for real karaoke you need special vocal speakers but I’m okay with whatever we can get to come out of the speakers using our current configuration for now. I know I need a mixer but some microphones appear to have them? I’m also unsure what I need to hook the mics up to the receiver. Would i use sound in/sound out wires? Ideally I would like at least 2 wireless microphones. Can anyone offer any advice? Thank you!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the VSX-832 and just saw a firmware update which Pioneer posted a couple of days ago.

I have never been able to update over the internet (although it is connected). So I downloaded it, unzipped the files and copied them to the root of a USB stick. The receiver was showing a message saying Please Update. Inserted the USB stick; used the remote to select Update from USB.

After a few minutes the update fails with the error O-05.

Repeated the entire process several times, including re-copying the files to the USB stick: no go. Now the receiver still powers up but does not respond to any remote commands (except to try the update again). So I can't control volume or change inputs.

I have successfully updated in the past using the same method (even the exact same USB stick).

Following is a listing of the files on my USB stick

Directory: E:\

Mode LastWriteTime Length Name
---- ------------- ------ ----
------ 17-Dec-13 10:52 AM 209 PIOAVR1023_E50000LALAEP5P.of0
------ 25-May-18 3:59 PM 512 PIOAVR1023_E50000LALAEP5P.of1
------ 25-May-18 3:59 PM 17696000 PIOAVR1023_E50000LALAEP5P.of2
------ 25-May-18 3:59 PM 93293568 PIOAVR1023_E50000LALAEP5P.of3
------ 25-May-18 3:59 PM 1573632 PIOAVR1023_E50000LALAEP5P.of4

The description of the update on Pioneer's website confirms that this is the correct update for my receiver

Model/Version:
VSX-832 : 1070-9010-0060-0010

CHANGE HISTORY:
[1070-9010-0060-0010]
Improvement of audio output when playback certain Dolby Digital Plus contents.

Minor bug fixes and improvements stability.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
maybe the file you downloaded its corrupted somehow, you can try to download it again, also did you factory reset the unit after/before the update?

·
Registered
2 Posts
maybe the file you downloaded its corrupted somehow, you can try to download it again, also did you factory reset the unit after/before the update?
Thanks for the reply. I never got it to upgrade from the memory stick, but lacking other options I tried the upgrade over the internet, and although this had never worked before in this case it did. So I am now upgraded.

But your suggestion about factory reset was helpful in another way. After I completed the upgrade most of the "network" media types (AirPlay, Bluetooth, Chromecast etc.) were not working. I power-cycled the receiver, and they started to work again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The VSX (or the app) gets confused when the smart TV itself is the input.

I have an LG 55LM7600 smart TV. I'm using high speed HDMI cables and have the VSX set for HDMI/CEC control. The HDMI cable is connected to the CEC-capable input on the TV. When an Amazon or Netflix video ends and I use the android app to switch from "TV" back to "CBL/SAT", the VSX goes to BD/DVD and turns the DVD player on. I have to manually switch again from BD/DVD to CBL/SAT with the app and also have to manually change the TV input back to cable box via the TV remote. Same thing happens if I use the Chromecast dongle for photos or videos from the computer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got a 832 and Samsung Q6 4K home and am having issues.

Have the HDMI Out going from Amp to tv, in the CBL/Sat I have the set top sky box, Game has a PS4 and the BD/DVD has a WD HD player.

My issue is I can't get any sound from any of them. Video is fine but no sound from any of the selections. Have tried the cable directly into the set top box to the tv and sound is fine through the TV speakers. Obviously I'm wanting the Amp to produce all sound for all devices.

Any help would be appreciated as its driving me crazy.:(

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just got a 832 and Samsung Q6 4K home and am having issues.

Have the HDMI Out going from Amp to tv, in the CBL/Sat I have the set top sky box, Game has a PS4 and the BD/DVD has a WD HD player.

My issue is I can't get any sound from any of them. Video is fine but no sound from any of the selections. Have tried the cable directly into the set top box to the tv and sound is fine through the TV speakers. Obviously I'm wanting the Amp to produce all sound for all devices.

Any help would be appreciated as its driving me crazy.:(
Check the Input/Output Assign/HDMI Input in the VSX set-up menu and make sure the device input #'s match the input plug # on the back of the VSX. If you use only HDMI connections, don't have any other digital or analog audio inputs selected in the Audio Input set-up menus. In the HARDWARE/HDMI menu make sure it's set to HDMI-CEC ON and HDMI Standby is set to AUTO (not ECO).

Do you have TV-only sound when the VSX is off? Does your Samsung TV have a menu setting for selecting external speakers? My LG does, so I have to switch back manually on the TV settings when I just want to watch TV without the VSX or theater speakers. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts