AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
4,846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urza /forum/post/0

Sometimes the answer can be simple, they screwed the pooch on this release, just like Fifth Element, and a number of other poor choices various studios have made.

Not like the Fifth Element, that WAS a problem with the master. Hell the master used had impregnated dust.

Other factors are involved here Urza.

And the point is, the studios are supposed to be getting BETTER over time as they gain experience not retrogressing.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man /forum/post/0

Not like the Fifth Element, that WAS a problem with the master. Hell the master used had impregnated dust.

Other factors are involved here Urza.

What problems might that be? If your going to go down the "HDDVD spec" road, at least for me, I dont buy it.

·
Registered
966 Posts
More extras please Warner, I concur. Let's go after Paramount next because HD DVD gets 1.5mbps soundtracks, while Blu-ray only gets 640kbps. Where is the logic in that? I own both formats, but it sucks that they can't just use the same codec and sound on both formats. It's a coin toss sometimes because the Blu-ray gets a better picture review because of the higher bitrate, but the audio is better on the HD DVD because they gave it the higher bitrate. These studios don't have a clue about what they're doing.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I was about to buy Blood Diamond and after hearing the mess up I have put this purchase on hold. Warner need not deliver extras it's enough if they deliver in the areas where it matters the most and where there is no compromise when it comes to Hi-Def -> PQ and SQ.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...post10714487

This answer from me (below) is kinda related to this ^ ^question above which was posted on a Blood Diamond thread that has already been locked.

Oink, if you are supporting both formats it is cheaper to reuse an existing low bit rate stream that fits on HD-DVD than to create a separate one that utilizes BD capacity. If you are not trying to reuse a stream and are only supporting Blu-ray, it is cheaper to use a higher bit rate encode since it requires less compression customization.

Thank you for the info.

It is disheartening that WB has adopted this strategy...

Especially since WB has given us some terrific DVD encodes in the past.

Quote:
BTW, I plan to get myself a new digital camera sometime this year so I can post a picture of my coyote because I'm getting jealous that Dave Mack's ( http://www.myspace.com/francesca39sbrother - sweeet sound) dog Buffy is getting WAY too much face time on AVS compared to other canines.

Well, I hope you do right by your coyote.

Buffy is a bit of a star around here and won't, IMO, give up her crown willingly...

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Warner should follow Paramounts lead and give Blu-Ray the AVC or MPEG-II encode the BD guys want. Since BD doesn't have finalized BD-J specs then Warner Bros. doesn't have to worry about IME or U-Conrol eating away at Blu-Rays bandwidth,

·
Registered
981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 /forum/post/0

I was about to buy Blood Diamond and after hearing the mess up I have put this purchase on hold. Warner need not deliver extras it's enough if they deliver in the areas where it matters the most and where there is no compromise when it comes to Hi-Def -> PQ and SQ.

I know it's a tricky thing, but you have to understand...

If the WB Blu-ray discs fail, then they won't ever see any value in the BD format because their heart is where their patents are (HD DVD). So if you want BD to ever have a chance of getting more BD's and a better BD focus from WB, you have to buy their discs to prove the market is there.

Otherwise, they'll go right on thinking HD DVD is where the market is, whether that's based on reality or not.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisko197 /forum/post/0

So if you want BD to ever have a chance of getting more BD's and a better BD focus from WB, you have to buy their discs to prove the market is there.

OK, can I use your credit card then?

PM me with the number and expiration date, please....

·
Registered
11,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/0

Well, I hope you do right by your coyote.

Buffy is a bit of a star around here and won't, IMO, give up her crown willingly...

That's right...!!!!!

But Penton!

We GOTTA see the coyote! C'mon! Just get a disposable Kodak jammy and get a CD made when developed!

·
Registered
4,846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack /forum/post/0

But Penton!

We GOTTA see the coyote! C'mon! Just get a disposable Kodak jammy and get a CD made when developed!

I would but I'm too busy leering at all the babes on your website.

I mean, what's with that .......are you some kind of babe magnet ?

Seriously, I want to do it right and I've got to purchase a digital still cam for a wedding this winter anyway.

Buffy is incomparable in appearance though.

Always smiling.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisko197 /forum/post/0

I know it's a tricky thing, but you have to understand...

If the WB Blu-ray discs fail, then they won't ever see any value in the BD format because their heart is where their patents are (HD DVD). So if you want BD to ever have a chance of getting more BD's and a better BD focus from WB, you have to buy their discs to prove the market is there.

Otherwise, they'll go right on thinking HD DVD is where the market is, whether that's based on reality or not.

No, they are already selling more media to blu-ray consumers on 'neutral' even inferior simultaneous releases.

·
Registered
662 Posts
This applies to all Studios not just Warner.

Personally I think Fox was doing far worse, when they were releasing titles.

When they come back online I hope not to see product that uses BD25 with Mpeg2 encodes @18mbps.

·
Registered
11,880 Posts

Quote:

I would but I'm too busy leering at all the babes on your website.

I mean, what's with that .......are you some kind of babe magnet ?

Seriously, I want to do it right and I've got to purchase a digital still cam for a wedding this winter anyway.

Buffy is incomparable in appearance though.

Always smiling.

Remember the song, "Just get an electric guitar, take some time, learn how to play..."

Buffy has felt a bit displaced recently as mini-Mack (Katherine) has just been born though....

future Jedi/Slayer....

·
Registered
882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBee /forum/post/0

Flightplan is VC-1. And i didnt buy into Blu-Ray to watch 480i extras and special features. Get rid of that garbage.

Why? Just because YOU don't watch them?

I didn't realize Blu-ray had been created to please you and only you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This thread is de-evolving fast so....

I just wanted to chime in on this subject as I feel that using identical encodes - while being far more efficient and cost effective for the studios - is creating "bad will" among the Blu Ray customers (for good or bad)...

Having said that though, of the different encodes between the 2 formats I've personally seen (World's Fastest Indian, Black Rain and MI: 3) none have had any noticable effect on picture/sound quality. I know that we've all probably read reviews (or seen for yourselves) different encodes that did show differences - with some favoring HD-DVD and some favoring Blu Ray. But, given the great majority of cross-platform titles, this would seem to be a waste of time for the studios.

My personal feeling is not to encourage the studios to do different encodes simply to fill respective disc space but, to do a better encode for both formats and quite frankly - To release more movies

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack /forum/post/0

well said...

And congrats on your new princess...maybe you need to re-assure Buffy she is still the Queen.

41 - 60 of 106 Posts