AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
14,494 Posts
I'm not a conspiracy kook or anything, but I have no doubt that Warner - at this stage in the game - will not give Blu-ray any benefit whatsoever. In fact, they try to give HD DVD an advantage when possible. Warner favors HD DVD, period. Even Ron Epsten over at HTF implied something to this effect in a recent post over there and he's been pretty neutral with the format war and obviously has strong Warner contacts. But, again, Warner's actions of HD DVD favoritism could be seen by a blind man.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir /forum/post/0

I'm not a conspiracy kook or anything, but I have no doubt that Warner - at this stage in the game - will not give Blu-ray any benefit whatsoever. In fact, they try to give HD DVD an advantage when possible. Warner favors HD DVD, period. Even Ron Epsten over at HTF implied something to this effect in a recent post over there and he's been pretty neutral with the format war and obviously has strong Warner contacts. But, again, Warner's actions of HD DVD favoritism could be seen by a blind man.

Well said above.

Still, everyone should go fill out the WB survey linked in one of the other threads. It's a legit survey on their HD product they are conducting. I asked them to put lossless (PCM or Dolby TrueHD on every release), stop with the low bitrate HD DVD VC-1 encode "ports", and get release parity.

I doubt anything will change, but it takes 45 seconds, and it can only help.

·
Registered
11,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/0

And congrats on your new princess...maybe you need to re-assure Buffy she is still the Queen.

Buffy did have a rough few nites at first but has now settled in.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davwin /forum/post/0

This thread is de-evolving fast so....

Devolving is a word...

Quote:
My personal feeling is not to encourage the studios to do different encodes simply to fill respective disc space but, to do a better encode for both formats and quite frankly - To release more movies

To quote Rodney King, can't we all just get along?

·
Registered
3,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox50 /forum/post/0

Well said above.

Still, everyone should go fill out the WB survey linked in one of the other threads. It's a legit survey on their HD product they are conducting. I asked them to put lossless (PCM or Dolby TrueHD on every release), stop with the low bitrate HD DVD VC-1 encode "ports", and get release parity.

I doubt anything will change, but it takes 45 seconds, and it can only help.

post the link to the thread then...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Please warner, use the whole BD50!

For example, my perfect Matrix collection would be just 4 discs - the movies + their 'revisited' bonus features on one disc each, and the additional features and HD Animatrix on one additional disc. If an extra 25 is needed, fine. But please give us the Animatrix in HD, and no flippers!

·
Registered
130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggster /forum/post/0

yah matrix with a truehd track has no extras on the hd side

NOT!

/borat

I'm not talking about specific releases, which is pretty irrelevant. The fact remains that for every added special feature on a HD DVD disc, there is less space remaining for the actual MOVIE - meaning less bitrate which EQUALS lower PQ.

The same is of course true for blu-ray as well, the difference is that you could add 20gb of extras on a blu-ray disc, and still have the equivalent of a full HD DVD disc for the movie.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjornK /forum/post/0

I'm not talking about specific releases, which is pretty irrelevant. The fact remains that for every added special feature on a HD DVD disc, there is less space remaining for the actual MOVIE - meaning less bitrate which EQUALS lower PQ.

The same is of course true for blu-ray as well, the difference is that you could add 20gb of extras on a blu-ray disc, and still have the equivalent of a full HD DVD disc for the movie.

Absolutely correct. How is this hard to understand?

·
Registered
4,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBee /forum/post/0

Dont let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Extras are for chumps. Plain and simple.

I would suggest you read the UA unless you want a VERY short time here. Acting like an idiot means you get treated like one.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you guys are unhappy with Warner, don't buy their product and then they can go exclusive HD DVD so you can whinge about that too. Sheesh.

·
Registered
746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BjornK /forum/post/0

The fact remains that for every added special feature on a HD DVD disc, there is less space remaining for the actual MOVIE - meaning less bitrate which EQUALS lower PQ.

Excellent point. We are in this hobby because we want hi-definition. Who wants image or audio quality sacrificed for extras that most people will never watch anyway?

Audio and video quality should trump any extras. Give us the best possible video and audio and the rest is gravy. If it doesn't fit, leave it off.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts