AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently Tiger Direct had a sale on the Polaroid 39GSR3000 LED HDTV ( http://www.polaroidstore.com/store/images/pdf/39GSR3000-polaroid-tv-user-manual.pdf ). It's a budget set that was priced at $230 (possibly $190 after mail-in rebate), and it was a tough deal to pass up. That said, there is pretty much no information to be found on it. Using AVSHD running through my HTPC, I was able to get a surprisingly decent picture out of it, but there are still unanswered questions that I'm sure others share. For instance, how does one enable tint adjustment, currently greyed out in the video settings, or enter the TV's service menu? I tried pressing Volume+ and Channel+ on both the remote and on the TV and neither appeared to do the trick. I was also hoping to program my Onkyo TX-NR626's remote to control this set, but it does not appear to support Polaroid TVs. I even tried all of the five-digit codes suggested here for universal remotes, but they didn't work: http://www.polaroid.com/faqs/tv-faqs/what-are-potential-manufacturer-remote-codes-for-my-polaroid-tv . A firmware update to my receiver was no help in this regard, and an Onkyo customer service rep told me that such support was "up to the marketing department."

So, any tips, tricks, or insight for this model of Polaroid?

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
Polaroid is maybe recently made by TPV or more likley TongFang Global (Element ,Seiki ,Emerson ,Magnavox ) try those codes or maybe TCL codes .

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarz21  /t/1525688/official-polaroid-39gsr3000-owners-thread#post_24564630

Recently Tiger Direct had a sale on the Polaroid 39GSR3000 LED HDTV ( http://www.polaroidstore.com/store/images/pdf/39GSR3000-polaroid-tv-user-manual.pdf ). It's a budget set that was priced at $230 (possibly $190 after mail-in rebate), and it was a tough deal to pass up. That said, there is pretty much no information to be found on it. Using AVSHD running through my HTPC, I was able to get a surprisingly decent picture out of it, but there are still unanswered questions that I'm sure others share. For instance, how does one enable tint adjustment, currently greyed out in the video settings, or enter the TV's service menu? I tried pressing Volume+ and Channel+ on both the remote and on the TV and neither appeared to do the trick. I was also hoping to program my Onkyo TX-NR626's remote to control this set, but it does not appear to support Polaroid TVs. I even tried all of the five-digit codes suggested here for universal remotes, but they didn't work: http://www.polaroid.com/faqs/tv-faqs/what-are-potential-manufacturer-remote-codes-for-my-polaroid-tv . A firmware update to my receiver was no help in this regard, and an Onkyo customer service rep told me that such support was "up to the marketing department."

So, any tips, tricks, or insight for this model of Polaroid?
Would you please post your picture settings after calibration? I did the best I could using my calibrated eyeballs but I doubt I'm very good at it :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My living room is usually pretty dark, and this is what currently works for me. YMMV.

Picture Mode: User

Brightness: 55

Contrast: 63

Color: 50

Tint: 50 (can't be changed)

Sharpness: 30

Color Temperature: Warm

·
Registered
2 Posts

With these settings, do you mainly watch movies/live TV? I ask because The two main uses for me are movie streaming and PS3, was wondering what you think of these settings during gaming.

Thanks again!

Also, I tried asking Polaroid Tech support for the service code and they refused :p It was worth a try. Next I might email Empire Electronics Co., who is the manufacturer, I think their engineering dept. might be more compliant.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad to help! I use these settings for streaming and watching DVD/Blu-ray shows and movies. It's possible that my HTPC has some default graphics settings that are affecting picture quality, but not sure. Don't really do any gaming on this computer. I'm generally happy with the picture, though dark colors and shadows remind me that it's no Panasonic

Silly "Polaroid." I'll be curious to hear what Empire has to say.

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
When the TV EIDE detects a PC rather than OTA, DVD/BD player or set top box (CATV,SAT ,ROKU . ) etc it may disable any number of adjustments and or picture enhancements that can vary by the set .

You may have to use the PC video software or windows to manage your color settings although if your HTPC is connected to your PC via HDMI cable you should have basic picture /color adjustments alternatively you can try to override the EIDE settings in the PC by disabling it in your video driver software and manually configuring it.

Also you may want to set your PC color-space output to YbCr 4:2:2 (Blue Ray /HDTV spec.)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am surprised at how not bad this TV is. When first looking at it, I was disappointed and thought it was a typical low-end, bad-looking LCD (LED). Over-pixelated, over-processed, over-contrasted, over-bright picture. But turning off Dynamic Contrast helped a lot.

And the HDMI settings has a choice of "video" and "graphics," and "graphics" is a less processed image and looks more normal. Though "video" setting adds some sharpness to some textures that can look nice. It'd be nice if there were a setting inbetween those two. Look at a desktop on the "video" setting, and you can see how it edge enhances things and blooms the whites.

Noise Reduction has off/low/med/high/auto, but so far I haven't noticed any setting doing much of anything different than the other settings.

Nice, thick, glass stand that keeps it pretty solid. For how cheap (inexpensive) ;) these can be, that was a surprise. Some low-end TVs I think a mild breeze could blow them over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am surprised at how not bad this TV is.
There are more times that I am impressed by this TV than disappointed. Yes, I do notice some issues with deep blacks, but even as I watch Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey, I still can't get over how good the picture is. I'll try playing with the settings more per your post, but I've been plenty happy!

·
Registered
218 Posts

Color Temperature: Warm
Warm makes the colors more vibrant, but it yellows whites too much for me.
It's possible that my HTPC has some default graphics settings that are affecting picture quality, but not sure. Don't really do any gaming on this computer. I'm generally happy with the picture, though dark colors and shadows remind me that it's no Panasonic
As far as I can tell, "graphic" setting I previously mentioned uses most of the settings from a connected computer, or perhaps other connected input. While "video" uses more built-in settings.

I haven't watched much OTA on mine, but I am thinking the built-in tuner may be holding the picture quality back a bit. I will have to watch more OTA, and watch more comparing it to my HTPC's tuners, to see if that theory is correct.

Now, for non-live content from my computer...

I had the colorspace setting(s) apparently wrong previously from my computer hooked to it. I just couldn't quite get the blacks to not overpower the image, and switching to 16-235 made the image brighter/lighter but washed out.

There's probably some easy setting I'm missing somewhere to fix that. But, I had a different problem with my ATI card not liking certain colorspace output and freezing the video, and changing the output to RGB32 fixed that and also gave me the picture quality I'd been looking for.

This TV looks so good now using RGB32. Before, I said it was not bad. Now, I'm impressed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please tell me how did you turn dynamic contrast off i cannot use half my settings they are greyed out, how do you do it??ive had this tv for 5 months and assumed it was some kind of a tv defect that those were all greyed out.im looking for best picture settings for hd tv shows everythinf i try looks bad. Cannot find anything,on google

·
Registered
218 Posts
Please tell me how did you turn dynamic contrast off i cannot use half my settings they are greyed out, how do you do it??
If I ever got an email notice for this thread, I never saw it.

You probably found it by now, but in case not, or for anyone else reading in the future, press Menu to bring up the first settings screen, then scroll to the bottom one, then right arrow to bring up a second settings screen. If it's grayed out, then I don't know. I just know I messed with it a bit before realizing it had a second settings screen.

I messed with the noise reduction again and could tell when it made a difference, somewhat. As expected, the noise reduction reduced noise, but it smoothed over details. So I turned it off again.

Playing with Dynamic Contrast again, it's like, at certain times, I'd prefer to have it on, and can see why other people might like it on all the time. But it makes the blacks and dark colors pop so much that it darkens details in dark clothing, etc. It can make the picture more "dynamic," but also look more fake. And at other times, like when watching a stadium crowd shot of a football game, it just looked bad.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts