AVS Forum banner

9281 - 9300 of 9489 Posts

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
1,031 Posts
How well do PSA speakers handle humidity from a swamp cooler? I'm worried a paper cone may be prone to expansion and lose rigidity. My ceiling vent is only 7' from the CC.

Is it safe to say that is you are using a swamp cooler you live in a very dry area? A Place where the humidity in teh summer is below 40%? Probably lower? If so it shouldn't be an issue. If not, why are you using a swamp cooler? They don't work well if the humidity is already high. Either way, unless you have water running down your walls and windows, its still probably not an issue. And if you do,,, why?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I know everybody says you don't need an Amp when using the PSA speakers but have a dumb question but does that still apply when using 3 210T's, 2 110's for rears and 4 SVS Elevation speakers all running off a Yamaha RX-A3080.
Can the AVR really have enough power to push all those speakers to the volumes they can handle.

Thanks

I have the Denon 4300 driving 2 x 210T / 1ea 210C / 2 ea 110sr (surround sides / 2 ea 110's (surround rear) / 2 ea RSL 32's (Atmos Speakers).

The AVR amps are driving 9 PSA's just fine, it'll play louder than we'll ever need.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I have the Denon 4300 driving 2 x 210T / 1ea 210C / 2 ea 110sr (surround sides / 2 ea 110's (surround rear) / 2 ea RSL 32's (Atmos Speakers).

The AVR amps are driving 9 PSA's just fine, it'll play louder than we'll ever need.

Thanks for the response, just looking reassurance on getting rid of the Amp.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very dry here in western Colorado but with cooler on a lot the wooden door jams swell a bit and stick. You can also feel the change of humidity in the carpet and drapes. Humidity levels in the house get pretty high. I recently got SVS ultra bookshelfs x4 and a center to upgrade from my old infinity interludes which weren't horrible. Just a week or so ago I learned of PSA and have to say everything I've read sounds awesome. I'm just worried a paper cone may not fair to well so close to the swamp cooler.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Reactions: Hopinater

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I ordered tweeter upgrades tonight for my front three speakers, just because I’m curious really. I don’t expect them to sound that different or honestly much better in my small theater room. It’ll be interesting what I can detect by ear since so much of my critical listening was done at my previous house the last 5 years, and I’ve barely scratched the surface in the new dedicated space.

Tom let me use up a little extra credit I had after trading some gear in earlier this year, so it was a perfect time snag them. They’ll be a fun upgrade to go with the pair of S1812’s that will also be gracing the room!

Excited!

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
I ordered tweeter upgrades tonight for my front three speakers, just because I’m curious really. I don’t expect them to sound that different or honestly much better in my small theater room. It’ll be interesting what I can detect by ear since so much of my critical listening was done at my previous house the last 5 years, and I’ve barely scratched the surface in the new dedicated space.

Tom let me use up a little extra credit I had after trading some gear in earlier this year, so it was a perfect time snag them. They’ll be a fun upgrade to go with the pair of S1812’s that will also be gracing the room!

Excited!
Looking forward to reading your impressions. I'm curious about the upgrade. At the moment I don't foresee me taking that plunge but if enough of you guys come back saying it's a big upgrade then I may end up doing it.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Looking forward to reading your impressions. I'm curious about the upgrade. At the moment I don't foresee me taking that plunge but if enough of you guys come back saying it's a big upgrade then I may end up doing it.

I know Tom generally under sells things, but even he said it’s likely a small upgrade for most which is fair considering the price. I imagine it would be more noticeable for critical music listeners, and I’m pretty much 100% movies/video games in the media room with the family until my boys are old enough to rock out with daddy!

I am very curious how cleanly center channel effects and dialogue will come through with the swap (sporting the original square edge 210C that’s at least 5 or 6 years old). I have been super busy building things for the kiddos and wife since we moved, but am slowly making solid progress on the media room. Getting to enjoy content with the family makes it all worth it!

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
I know Tom generally under sells things, but even he said it’s likely a small upgrade for most which is fair considering the price. I imagine it would be more noticeable for critical music listeners, and I’m pretty much 100% movies/video games in the media room with the family until my boys are old enough to rock out with daddy!

I am very curious how cleanly center channel effects and dialogue will come through with the swap (sporting the original square edge 210C that’s at least 5 or 6 years old). I have been super busy building things for the kiddos and wife since we moved, but am slowly making solid progress on the media room. Getting to enjoy content with the family makes it all worth it!
Tom told me the same thing but, as you said, he undersells things so I'm really interested in your impressions.

Sounds like you'll have a great new HT once the dust settles and you get everything completed. You must be pretty excited to get everything done and get the theater up and running again.

Reactions: Sekosche

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Another of my dumb questions but I have 2 of the 110's for my surrounds, should I run those as 80hz like my 3 210T's for the L/C/R?

Or should the 110's be set higher? Right now they are head height behind me but hope to move them to the left and ride side like normal.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Another of my dumb questions but I have 2 of the 110's for my surrounds, should I run those as 80hz like my 3 210T's for the L/C/R?

Or should the 110's be set higher? Right now they are head height behind me but hope to move them to the left and ride side like normal.

Thanks

Correct, the 110’s will also do well with an 80Hz crossover. Less chance of localization with a lower crossover as well, though I can’t usually tell the difference between 80-100Hz variation around the room.

·
Registered
7,515 Posts

Thanks
They are essentially the same as the 210's as far as capability so I would run them at the same crossover. I have all my 110's set as the same crossover as my 210's.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Correct, the 110’s will also do well with an 80Hz crossover. Less chance of localization with a lower crossover as well, though I can’t usually tell the difference between 80-100Hz variation around the room.
Thanks will make sure all are 80hz.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
They are essentially the same as the 210's as far as capability so I would run them at the same crossover. I have all my 110's set as the same crossover as my 210's.

Are you running all of yours at 80hz?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,515 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Yep, they are all at 80.

Your crossover should be determined by full range sweeps with your final subwoofer curve. Peoples settings will not be the same. It will be sub curve and room dependent. My L.R 110’s are crossed at 60hz and C at 80hz. That is what measures the best for my current tune. That was not always the case.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Thanks will make sure all are 80hz.
You should test out what works best for you and your set up. For me I have running the center at 90, left and right at 110hz as an example as that gives me the best response when combined with the subs and I can tell that in the sound. I have experimented with different crossovers but got it dialed in with Aron and Zach

Edit: lol, just saw Zach's posted above about the same

·
Registered
7,515 Posts
Your crossover should be determined by full range sweeps with your final subwoofer curve. Peoples settings will not be the same. It will be sub curve and room dependent. My L.R 110’s are crossed at 60hz and C at 80hz. That is what measures the best for my current tune. That was not always the case.
You should test out what works best for you and your set up. For me I have running the center at 90, left and right at 110hz as an example as that gives me the best response when combined with the subs and I can tell that in the sound. I have experimented with different crossovers but got it dialed in with Aron and Zach

Edit: lol, just saw Zach's posted above about the same
This is true, 80Hz is what Zach and Aron and I set them at when we were dialing in the set up.

9281 - 9300 of 9489 Posts