AVS Forum banner

9301 - 9320 of 9488 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I bought my MT110 & MTM210C right when Tom got the new tweeters... So unfortunately I won't be able to tell anyone if I can hear a difference with the new tweeters... All I can say is I love my speakers and they are amazing for movies and music and out of all the speakers I have owned, these are some of my favorite. ( I tend to keep my favorites)

Here are some Speakers that I have owned over many many years.

Paradigm mini monitor
Paradigm mini monitor V2
Paradigm monitor reference 9 V1
B&W DM602 S2
B&W DM602 S3
B&W 684
Polk LSi7
Polk RTi6
Polk RTi1000P
Polk RTi8
Polk RTi10 - I still own these***
Polk RTi12
Polk SDA-2B - i still own these***
Infinity RSIIIB
Infinity RS5000
Martin Logan PreFace
Jamo E825
Jamo E855
Energy connoisseur C9, C7 & C5
Energy audissey a5+2
Energy audissey a2+2
Klipsch RP160M
Klipsch RP600M
Klipsch Heresy ( 1st Gen)
Klipsch Forte ( 1st Gen) -i still own these***
Klipsch RF3
Klipsch RP280F
HTD Level 3
SVS Primes
Chane A1.5 - I still own these***
Chane A2.4

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
Got my tweeters today.

Lets see how motivated I am tonight to get these installed!
Do it! We are all waiting to read some impressions of the upgrade. ;)

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Got my front three speakers upgraded to the B&C tweeters this afternoon, but didn’t get any listening in as I had lots more work to do in the theater. I’m lining the walls and ceiling with triple black velvet a few yards at a time, added some more black carpet around the edges of the room and I cleared out some gear to position the S1812’s in opposite corners which should give me a solid response.

The tweeter swap wasn’t too bad if you consider yourself at all handy and took me a couple hours for all three; the center channel took twice as long because of the orientation of the old bolts left little room for turning the wrench. A 10mm and 11mm socket set does speed things when able to be used, but as I posted in the tweeter upgrade page, you’ll definitely want an 11mm wrench for removing the old driver bolts because working so close to a powerful magnet makes it a little tricky.

It was really neat seeing how well the innards of each speaker were assembled; that PSA quality and attention to detail really shines through from every nut and bolt to the insulation, wiring, crossover assembly, and little finishing touches throughout the cabinet.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
question for anyone out there....

I noticed that the bookshelf and the tower speakers have the same dB ratings despite the tower having the additional 10" woofer. Is there any sound difference between the tower and the bookshelf? It seems like the bookshelf makes more sense but I know I am missing something.

Also, has there been any talk of speakers with smaller woofers? I'm anal about having a matching front stage and as much as I want to try the PSA speakers, I don't think I can fit that monstrous center speaker anywhere.

EDIT: I just realized I clicked on the wrong bookshelf when looking at the specs. The 110 is 95db and the 210 bookshelf is the same as the tower at 98dB. So the 2nd woofer does indeed make a difference.

Reactions: ahblaza

·
Registered
33 Posts
question for anyone out there....

I noticed that the bookshelf and the tower speakers have the same dB ratings despite the tower having the additional 10" woofer. Is there any sound difference between the tower and the bookshelf? It seems like the bookshelf makes more sense but I know I am missing something.

Also, has there been any talk of speakers with smaller woofers? I'm anal about having a matching front stage and as much as I want to try the PSA speakers, I don't think I can fit that monstrous center speaker anywhere.

EDIT: I just realized I clicked on the wrong bookshelf when looking at the specs. The 110 is 95db and the 210 bookshelf is the same as the tower at 98dB. So the 2nd woofer does indeed make a difference.
That 10" woofer on the center channel is what's currently stopping me from getting a PSA front stage, until I build my AT screen setup

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
That 10" woofer on the center channel is what's currently stopping me from getting a PSA front stage, until I build my AT screen setup

I'm jealous you'll have an AT screen. That will be great.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I bought my MT110 & MTM210C right when Tom got the new tweeters... So unfortunately I won't be able to tell anyone if I can hear a difference with the new tweeters... All I can say is I love my speakers and they are amazing for movies and music and out of all the speakers I have owned, these are some of my favorite. ( I tend to keep my favorites)

Here are some Speakers that I have owned over many many years.

Paradigm mini monitor
Paradigm mini monitor V2
Paradigm monitor reference 9 V1
B&W DM602 S2
B&W DM602 S3
B&W 684
Polk LSi7
Polk RTi6
Polk RTi1000P
Polk RTi8
Polk RTi10 - I still own these***
Polk RTi12
Polk SDA-2B - i still own these***
Infinity RSIIIB
Infinity RS5000
Martin Logan PreFace
Jamo E825
Jamo E855
Energy connoisseur C9, C7 & C5
Energy audissey a5+2
Energy audissey a2+2
Klipsch RP160M
Klipsch RP600M
Klipsch Heresy ( 1st Gen)
Klipsch Forte ( 1st Gen) -i still own these***
Klipsch RF3
Klipsch RP280F
HTD Level 3
SVS Primes
Chane A1.5 - I still own these***
Chane A2.4

Feel the same, for me a dome tweeter speaker was best for just movies and a ribbon tweeter speaker was best for just music, but these PSA's have given me the best of both worlds, and not to mention the volume levels they can reach.
I popped a few tweeters in other more expensive speakers, also enjoying not needing a power amp anymore.
I had never had a Horn tweeter speaker how do you compare them with the Klipsch?
My speaker odyssey before landing at PowerSoundAudio Nirvana.

Polk RtiA9 - 1st real loud speakers
Axiom M80's
Aperion Verus Grand
GoldenEar Triton 2 - best for just music
Paradign Studio 100's v5 - biggest disappointment not worth the $'s most expensive
XTZ Speakers M8's - great for just movies
Ascend Acoustics - Sierra Tower

Reactions: Hetfieldjames

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Feel the same, for me a dome tweeter speaker was best for just movies and a ribbon tweeter speaker was best for just music, but these PSA's have given me the best of both worlds, and not to mention the volume levels they can reach.
I popped a few tweeters in other more expensive speakers, also enjoying not needing a power amp anymore.
I had never had a Horn tweeter speaker how do you compare them with the Klipsch?
My speaker odyssey before landing at PowerSoundAudio Nirvana.

Polk RtiA9 - 1st real loud speakers
Axiom M80's
Aperion Verus Grand
GoldenEar Triton 2 - best for just music
Paradign Studio 100's v5 - biggest disappointment not worth the $'s most expensive
XTZ Speakers M8's - great for just movies
Ascend Acoustics - Sierra Tower
Some of the older Klipsch (horns) are very bright, the original Hersey has crazy mids...almost like a bull horn lol but it made you feel like the music was right in your face!

One thing i did like about the older Klipsch (with horns) was the wide the sound stage. Unfortunately the horns were very thin and they would resonate... i was thinking about using some dynamat on them ( very popular upgrade) but i ended up selling them for a forte.

Nice speaker list you have there... i always was wondered about goldenear, are those bi-pole?

You are correct the PSA speakers gave me best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Some of the older Klipsch (horns) are very bright, the original Hersey has crazy mids...almost like a bull horn lol but it made you feel like the music was right in your face!

One thing i did like about the older Klipsch (with horns) was the wide the sound stage. Unfortunately the horns were very thin and they would resonate... i was thinking about using some dynamat on them ( very popular upgrade) but i ended up selling them for a forte.

Nice speaker list you have there... i always was wondered about goldenear, are those bi-pole?

You are correct the PSA speakers gave me best of both worlds.

The Goldenears aren't bipole, but they were made for music, but needed an amp to get the most out of them. But just weren't good for movies.
The biggest disappoint was the Paradigm, all I heard was how awesome they were, what I paid for the L/C/R setup on those was about twice for the PSA's I have, and I was never happy with the sound and they 100% needed an amp to get anything out of them.

Reactions: rhelliott2

·
Registered
12,878 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
It can be done. TV isn't too high IMO it's perfect for me, I'm 6'1.

http://imgur.com/a/yfCfaPV

In order to keep my TV closer to the MLP, I have no intentions of wall mounting my TV. Plus, I really like the height my TV is currently at. Very comfortable and is a good height with my towers. Going wall mounted would put it higher than I'd really like.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
In order to keep my TV closer to the MLP, I have no intentions of wall mounting my TV. Plus, I really like the height my TV is currently at. Very comfortable and is a good height with my towers. Going wall mounted would put it higher than I'd really like.
I get it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Do it! We are all waiting to read some impressions of the upgrade. ;)
Ok got the tweeters installed.

I really like music, specifically vinyl records. After work many days I go down to the "Cave", listen to a record for 40 minutes, I'm then in a much better place.

So after installing the tweeters, I listened to Van Morison's Astral Weeks & Nils Lofgren's "Acoustic Live". Been listening to these albums forever, maybe longer, wore out more than one copy of Astral Weeks for sure.

Astral Weeks has alot of stuff going on at all times. With the new tweeters I could really hear the difference in many of the instruments. Specifically the flutes really jumped out, the violins became cleaner and the mid-register of Van's voice filled out much nicer.

Nils Lofgren's Acoustic Live album is a reference recording, one of the best recordings out there.
The tweeters really shined here. The guitars all sounded better, much thicker, like they just had new strings put on, Nil's presence was much more foward with the new tweeters.

I'm happy, consider the money well spent on the tweeter upgrade.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ok got the tweeters installed.

I really like music, specifically vinyl records. After work many days I go down to the "Cave", listen to a record for 40 minutes, I'm then in a much better place.

So after installing the tweeters, I listened to Van Morison's Astral Weeks & Nils Lofgren's "Acoustic Live". Been listening to these albums forever, maybe longer, wore out more than one copy of Astral Weeks for sure.

Astral Weeks has alot of stuff going on at all times. With the new tweeters I could really hear the difference in many of the instruments. Specifically the flutes really jumped out, the violins became cleaner and the mid-register of Van's voice filled out much nicer.

Nils Lofgren's Acoustic Live album is a reference recording, one of the best recordings out there.
The tweeters really shined here. The guitars all sounded better, much thicker, like they just had new strings put on, Nil's presence was much more foward with the new tweeters.

I'm happy, consider the money well spent on the tweeter upgrade.

Thanks for taking the time to give us your thoughts. Sounds like a worth wild upgrade. :grin:

9301 - 9320 of 9488 Posts