AVS Forum banner

25041 - 25060 of 57833 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Tom -
Any suggestions for a starting point for a low pass filter on the S3000i working with Magnepan QR1.6's? Currently my set-up will only be 2.1, and may remain this way for some time. I am definitely more a music fan, though the wife does enjoy watching some movies =) I think she has no idea what she's in for . . . actually, neither do I :eek::D
Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Travis - I have downloaded a copy of REW tonight, and have already been looking at places to purchase a Umik . . . Have no clue at this point on how to operate/use either, but I have no problem reading, and enjoy tinkering . . . :) I have long been a music nut - well maybe not nearly to the extent some are, but in comparison to people I know lol . . .

thanks for the welcome-
Doug
Hey Doug, you can download a guide from my signature for REW, it's the most informative and straight forward approach to get started using the REW program and UMIK-1. There are several places to get a mic (UMIK-1)....Before using the REW program I would read the guide at least all the way through to taking the first measurement, this way you won't have so many questions getting started.

Just like most of us you will have questions after you get started, feel free to ask, that's why we are here.

UMIK-1 where to buy:
http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umik.html
They're in stock and shipping which is rare for CSL

Here as well:
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=UMIK-1

You can also buy from Amazon, they're sold by Madisonsound, the above link.

Download the guide and get a good idea what REW is all about, then when you're ready in a couple of weeks to set your 3000 up you'll have a head start.........;)

Cheers Jeffrey

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Hey Tom -
Any suggestions for a starting point for a low pass filter on the S3000i working with Magnepan QR1.6's? Currently my set-up will only be 2.1, and may remain this way for some time. I am definitely more a music fan, though the wife does enjoy watching some movies =) I think she has no idea what she's in for . . . actually, neither do I :eek::D
Thanks,
Doug
Doug did you buy the maggies new, I believe they were released in 1999, very nice indeed? Depending where the 1.6s start to roll off (50-40Hz ?) I would start with a 80Hz XO and adjust to get a seamless non localized integration with the 3000. A SPL meter is good to have to find the best location for the 3000 until you get a mic and REW up and running, also good for level or gain matching the sub. I hope some of this helps, I'm looking forward to your impressions once you hear the 3000 regardless of how you set it up. :):)

Cheers Jeffrey

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Any of the s1800 being sent to Australia?
Not at the moment. Peter(Deephz) usually orders things by the container to minimize the shipping cost per unit. I'm sure we'll be sending plenty in the next container though..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Doug did you buy the maggies new, I believe they were released in 1999, very nice indeed? Depending where the 1.6s start to roll off (50-40Hz ?) I would start with a 80Hz XO and adjust to get a seamless non localized integration with the 3000. A SPL meter is good to have to find the best location for the 3000 until you get a mic and REW up and running, also good for level or gain matching the sub. I hope some of this helps, I'm looking forward to your impressions once you hear the 3000 regardless of how you set it up. :):)

Cheers Jeffrey
The 1.6s were interesting as they had a rather unique FR signature

·
Registered
8 Posts
New satisfied owner of a PSA V1800! I added another smaller 5.1 home theater to my house in a front room and went fairly low end with all the speakers to keep cost down. Rear surrounds are Klipsch KSB 1.1’s, center channel Yamaha NS-C444, fronts Yamaha NS-333, Sanus SANUS BF31/18-B1 speaker stands, receiver Yamaha RX-V379BL and started with a Yamaha Studio HS8 subwoofer from my recording studio computer setup. The main room is 300 square feet, 2400 cubic feet, see attached pics and CAD drawing for more details. I ended up with the subwoofer against the back knee wall but tried also the locations just to the right and left of the TV stand. The front right location was totally dead at all sub frequencies, the left front location was best for the 40 hz and up range but the back location shown in the attached pics had pretty even response for music and movies. I used Transformers: Age of Extinction first 7 minutes for all my testing along with a manually tweaked YPAO setup.

I was very happy with all the non-sub speakers with music, Amazon Fire, PS3, DirecTV and all other sources. Just couldn’t live with the tiny Yamaha HS8 sub for movies so I bought a Bic Acoustech PL-200 to get some rumble. The HS8 has super tight bass for drums and bass guitar, too weak for movies. The PL-200 for the money had a lot of power to shake the room but zero articulation or damping. Amazing sub for the price though. I then rotated my SVS SB-2000, PB-2000 and PB12-Plus subs from my main theater through the front room. Only the PB12-Plus produced a good combination of tight sound and good output below 30Hz. I returned the SB-2000 and purchased the PSA V1800 after exchanging a few emails with Tom at PSA. The V1800 output just dwarfs the PB12-Plus in output across the spectrum while maintaining excellent damping and articulation for both music and movies. Doesn’t seem possible that an 18” woofer could be as articulate as a 12” but it is! It seems that the era of 12” subs for medium size, non-sealed rooms is ending and the new standard is 15” and 18” subs. In that sense the SVS products I own, while leading edge at the time of purchase, now seem to be not a good value looking at the cost for a given level of sound output. The bigger cone areas move so much more air and coupled with the right amp and enclosure, give up nothing in sound quality.

For comparison I cranked the PB12-Plus up to the point where the speaker was bottoming out, took a sound reading, then replaced it with the V1800 and got 11db more output with no distortion and it did sound twice as loud. Sound source for this measurement was program material from Transformers: Age of Extinction, first 7 minutes. Sound meter was Galaxy Audio CM140 Checkmate frequency range from 31.5Hz to 8KHz.

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Home%20Theater/1106%20Subwoofer%20Model.pdf

Attachments

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Hey Tom -
Thanks,
Doug
You can run your Maggies full range and begin the sub crossover at 80 Hz (which most people do). However, these are panel speakers, so I’d advise you to crossover lower to receive what the bass panel offers. It’s a unique sound signature that I didn’t want to lose, so I use a 40 Hz crossover on my 3.6 (both high pass and low pass with different slopes), so you might want to look more seriously at a 60 Hz or even a 50 Hz crossover if you want to keep much of what the Maggies give you in the bass department. As Tom mentioned, if your receiver has a high pass filter (bass management), this will give you more flexibility to dial it in and you wouldn’t need to run the Maggies full range (saving your amp and reducing distortion from the Maggie’s low frequencies).

You’ll find the S3000i quite an amazing subwoofer for both music and movies. It’s the right combination of power and finesse. While integrating for music is a bit more difficult, I think you’ll be amazed at what the S3000i can do for your music system. For movies, hold on to your seat.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Dual Set-up Suggestions?

Hey gents...

So I've been a VERY happy owner of an S1500 for a while now, and this past week I decided I finally wanted to go Dual. The very first "real" audio rig I ever heard was back in the early 90s, a pair of Monitor Audio (before they went more mass market) 2-ways and a pair of Vandersteen subs. Why it's taken me this long to go duals, I have no idea, but I finally pulled the trigger.

Anyway, I'm doing things a bit differently than I thought I would...I love these sealed beauties for music so much that I'm actually moving both of them to the living room to pair with my Maggie 3.6s in a 2.2 configuration. It didn't hit me until the 2nd S1500 arrived today (the storm tried to steal it, but it finally showed up!) that I probably need to take a minute to consider how to calibrate these things.

I'm going to connect the subs to the L/R pre-outs on the Peachtree Nova 125. I'm assuming I should calibrate each sub individually to the mains, but do you guys suggest just doing this by ear, or would you recommend finding some test tones on youtube or a disc or something? The Nova doesn't have bass management, so I'll use the crossover on the PSA (Im guessing somewhere in the high 40s).

I have a small 2.1 rig in the bedroom that I calibrated by ear and it sounds great, and I can probably just do that with the Maggie rig, but thought I'd pick some brains in here first.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts

Cheers Jeffrey
Jeffery -
I actually bought the Maggies used, about 6 months ago . . . Prior to hearing them, I had never seen, nor heard a panel speaker. I purchased a set of JBL studio monitors back in about 1989 (which I still have), and those made up the largest percentage of what I have listened too (outside the systems I put in my vehicles) since. When I went to listen to the Maggies, and the owner began playing some music through them, the grin and open mouth syndrome kicked in, and within the first 30 seconds of hearing them, I knew they were coming home with me. I have them temporarily set-up, not in the best spot, just in a temporary spot for now so I can listen when I want. They are unbelievable, well to me anyway. However, as much as I love how great they sound, they roll off pretty drastically between 40-50 hz. I do like the extra fullness provided by a sub, so I have planned to add one with them since the day I bought them.
SPL meter and Umik currently on the way =))))

Doug

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can run your Maggies full range and begin the sub crossover at 80 Hz (which most people do). However, these are panel speakers, so I’d advise you to crossover lower to receive what the bass panel offers. It’s a unique sound signature that I didn’t want to lose, so I use a 40 Hz crossover on my 3.6 (both high pass and low pass with different slopes), so you might want to look more seriously at a 60 Hz or even a 50 Hz crossover if you want to keep much of what the Maggies give you in the bass department. As Tom mentioned, if your receiver has a high pass filter (bass management), this will give you more flexibility to dial it in and you wouldn’t need to run the Maggies full range (saving your amp and reducing distortion from the Maggie’s low frequencies).

You’ll find the S3000i quite an amazing subwoofer for both music and movies. It’s the right combination of power and finesse. While integrating for music is a bit more difficult, I think you’ll be amazed at what the S3000i can do for your music system. For movies, hold on to your seat.
dsrussell-
First I have to thank you . . . If not for the excellent review you posted regarding the SB13U on amazon, I may not have read all 36 comments, and I might have missed your mention of PSA. I was completely set on the SB13U until I began reading more about PSA and before I knew it I was on the PSA web site chatting with Tom. Additionally, I found it coincidental you have a BX3 listed in your equipment, as I also have a BX-3 (MkII) I purchased back in '89 while living in Germany, which was possibly the greatest piece of equipment I have ever purchased.
I have been planning to run the xo at 60 (or at least trying it out there first), as I know the maggies do pretty well down to about 45-ish (I'll measure it once I get my mic and spl meter). I do like to listen with the volume at higher levels than some may enjoy, so I hope to have the sub pick up all the bass, and not have the 1.6's stressed at all with too low of a bass level.
I cannot wait to get the s3000 set up . . . and just keep in mind, I have NO sub currently lol . . . . I have waited and waited to buy what will become the "once in a lifetime" sub for me. I paid a fair amount for the Maggies used, and as awesome as they sound, I had to get a complimentary sub that will do double duty with the movies as well.
Thanks again for all your excellent information, I have read many of your posts, just based off the info you included on amazon . . .
Doug

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I see the pics of the new S1800 are now up on the website. It's hard to tell it's size but it sure looks nice.

Tom have you guys ever considered taking a pic of the entire PSA sealed subwoofer lineup all sitting next to one another in ascending order of size? And another of your entire ported sub lineup? That would look pretty cool.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Holy Smokes…I just visited the PSA Facebook page for the first time in a month and learned that PSA now has a distributer in India. That's pretty cool...looks like some heavy duty bass is now heading to India.

·
Answer Seeking / Sharing
2,003 Posts
I see the pics of the new S1800 are now up on the website. It's hard to tell it's size but it sure looks nice.

Tom have you guys ever considered taking a pic of the entire PSA sealed subwoofer lineup all sitting next to one another in ascending order of size? And another of your entire ported sub lineup? That would look pretty cool.
That would be an awesome picture!

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
dsrussell-
First I have to thank you . . . If not for the excellent review you posted regarding the SB13U on amazon, I may not have read all 36 comments, and I might have missed your mention of PSA. I was completely set on the SB13U until I began reading more about PSA and before I knew it I was on the PSA web site chatting with Tom. Additionally, I found it coincidental you have a BX3 listed in your equipment, as I also have a BX-3 (MkII) I purchased back in '89 while living in Germany, which was possibly the greatest piece of equipment I have ever purchased.
I have been planning to run the xo at 60 (or at least trying it out there first), as I know the maggies do pretty well down to about 45-ish (I'll measure it once I get my mic and spl meter). I do like to listen with the volume at higher levels than some may enjoy, so I hope to have the sub pick up all the bass, and not have the 1.6's stressed at all with too low of a bass level.
I cannot wait to get the s3000 set up . . . and just keep in mind, I have NO sub currently lol . . . . I have waited and waited to buy what will become the "once in a lifetime" sub for me. I paid a fair amount for the Maggies used, and as awesome as they sound, I had to get a complimentary sub that will do double duty with the movies as well.
Thanks again for all your excellent information, I have read many of your posts, just based off the info you included on amazon . . .
Doug
Thanks for the compliment, Doug. One thing is certain, there are a LOT of excellent subwoofers on the market today. We are fortunate to be able to choose from a dozen companies or so (8 or 9 of which are I.D.). If we can’t find a subwoofer that we love in that lot, I just don’t know what to say (except DIY).

I know you’ll be highly impressed with the S3000i once you have it setup to your preferences. For the levels you play, 60 Hz crossover may be a good place to start. Just take your time, get the sub location pinned down and enjoy! You’ll have a whole lot of help from a great group of guys here (not only in the PSA thread, but in the entire sub forum). @nalthien integrated two S3000i’s with his Martin Logan ESL panels (Ethos) and was extremely pleased with the outcome. I haven’t heard anything from him in a long time (I get worried when this happens), but if he should show up, he’d be a lot of help.

Reactions: ahblaza

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
@nalthien integrated two S3000i’s with his Martin Logan ESL panels (Ethos) and was extremely pleased with the outcome. I haven’t heard anything from him in a long time (I get worried when this happens), but if he should show up, he’d be a lot of help.
Not sure how helpful I'd be at the moment--it's been a long time since I did anything but enjoy my system! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure how helpful I'd be at the moment--it's been a long time since I did anything but enjoy my system! :)
I read your entire post as well nalthien . . . very interesting/informative. I was happy to read at the beginning of your thread you too were a "noob" with Rew. I hope to follow along your footsteps and learn rew myself. Did you ever end up dropping back to a single S3000 as you mentioned you may, or did you stick w/two? I did want to ask your opinion of the Marantz 7702 - I'll PM you as I don't want to thread jack . . .
Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I read your entire post as well nalthien . . . very interesting/informative. I was happy to read at the beginning of your thread you too were a "noob" with Rew. I hope to follow along your footsteps and learn rew myself. Did you ever end up dropping back to a single S3000 as you mentioned you may, or did you stick w/two? I did want to ask your opinion of the Marantz 7702 - I'll PM you as I don't want to thread jack . . .
Thanks,
Doug
Glad I could be of some help; feel free to drop me a PM!

I've stuck with two S3000i's--though one is actually unplugged right now due to some moving around in the living room. REW is absolutely worth the effort. If you ever end up like me, integrating subwoofers without the help of room correction software and automatic calibration, it's absolutely necessary!

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I don't know if you saw this Hop or if it even helps, but Jim posted this a little ways back:

Dimensions (D x W x H): 22" x 20" x 20.5" includes grill
Weight 79 lbs

Here is a picture of a S1500 cabinet next to the new S1800.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Hey Zeus…yeah I had seen that but thanks.

I was just noticing that in most of these single photos of the subs you can't really get an idea of the size of them. The same is true on any of the different ID companies websites for that matter. But if a line up photo was taken then it would put the different subs in perspective. It was most likely that picture Jim posted that planted the idea in my head.

Reactions: zeus33
25041 - 25060 of 57833 Posts