AVS Forum banner

31381 - 31400 of 57955 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Like most of you guys my gear is revolving around PSA stuff, which I’m also addicted (getting more shortly). The next piece of the puzzle for me is a 4K Blu-ray player. A lot of you guys are ahead of me, so I’d like to ask for guidance of the 4k player, specificly which one, the Samsung of Oppo (and why)?
ss nimrod, Do you have a 4K tv or plan on getting a 4K projector?
I bought the Samsung K8500 from someone on AVS for pretty cheap. It does a decent job. I am waiting for the bugs to be worked out on the Oppo 203, before I trade in my Oppo 103d. Different issues with different projectors/tvs. You can read about them in the other forums. Also, is your receiver 4K pass thru or actual a 4K compliant receiver. That will make a difference I think on how you run your HDMI as well. If you are ready to buy a player, and have a 4K source to watch on, then you may need to purchase one or two options, so you can see for yourself.

·
Registered
263 Posts
ss nimrod, Do you have a 4K tv or plan on getting a 4K projector?
I bought the Samsung K8500 from someone on AVS for pretty cheap. It does a decent job. I am waiting for the bugs to be worked out on the Oppo 203, before I trade in my Oppo 103d. Different issues with different projectors/tvs. You can read about them in the other forums. Also, is your receiver 4K pass thru or actual a 4K compliant receiver. That will make a difference I think on how you run your HDMI as well. If you are ready to buy a player, and have a 4K source to watch on, then you may need to purchase one or two options, so you can see for yourself.
TV is 4K and the receiver is a Denon 4300, so yes we're good there. Also by upgrading to the 4300 there was a very noticeable improvement in the picture quality:)

So the next thing is the 4k blu ray player. I've also been following the Oppo thread and the issues there.... Like Travis I also feel the quality Samsung products is sub-par, also I deal with professionally (semiconductor manufacturing) and Samsung does not have a good reputation, just brutal to deal with. However......The Samsung just have another price drop ($279 now) thats the reason I was considering it.

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
16,887 Posts
Like most of you guys my gear is revolving around PSA stuff, which I’m also addicted (getting more shortly). The next piece of the puzzle for me is a 4K Blu-ray player. A lot of you guys are ahead of me, so I’d like to ask for guidance of the 4k player, specificly which one, the Samsung of Oppo (and why)?
Kind of depends on your goals and if you have a flat panel or projector. HDR with projectors is a mixed bag to say the least and MANY prefer to strip the HDR out of the equation with a HD Fury/Panny 900 combo which leaves SDR BT2020. The Oppo 203 has a "strip metadata" option to do this as well, but in it's current form is not up to par with the Panny/Fury combo. Supposedly Oppo will get this right eventually with a FW release (maybe next FW update according to the chatter in the projector forum), but that remains to be seen. If you have a flat panel though, there is no reason to strip the HDR and in that case the Oppo is the way to go from my reading. I would steer clear of the Samsung from what I have read.

I just bought a new projector today to replace my 5 year old RS45 and should have it next week, but am waiting to buy a UHD player for a bit longer to see if Oppo gets the HDR>SDR BT2020 correct. If Oppo doesn't get this right soon, I am springing for the Panny/Fury combo.

·
Registered
16,887 Posts
what is wrong with the Samsung? I have been looking at a 4k player option for 2 months and just said F it and got the Sammy to hold me over for now since it was cheap.
All the projector guys were just very unhappy with the Sammy for various reasons (red push, dark default picture that required a lot of tweaking, poor build, etc.....) and dumped them as soon as the Panasonic hit. Might be a different story for flat panels though, not sure.

·
Registered
506 Posts
This thread is really making me want to add a second V1500 to my setup sooner rather than later.
This thread has dark designs to do just that.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I just bought a new open box k8500 for 175.00 shipped. For the price I don't think you can go wrong.
ss nimrod,
Agree with basshead81. I too got mine here on AVS for about $180. For that price you really can't go wrong, especially since you have a 4K TV. You have the other components, so go for it. If you can find one under $200, you should get it. IT is a decent player, and does some things pretty well. In most of the forums, someone will always be unhappy with the output of their 4K players at the moment, because we all have different eyes.
Unless you want to pay $500 for a Panasonic:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/210-video-source-items/2737729-fs-panasonic-dmp-ub900-4k-uhd-player.html

This one is for $165:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/210-video-source-items/2698033-fs-samsung-ubd-k8500-4k-uhd-bluray-player-miami-fl-165-obo.html

One earlier in the week was for $130. I sent that one a PM, but it had already sold. For that price:eek:

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I want to play Edge of Tomorrow near reference some day.
Without sealed subs and lots of room gain, you miss out on about half the opening tones as there are few ported subs able to produce at or below 15Hz with authority. I really enjoy the movie, but every time I demo the opening scene on my system that's reference capable into the upper teens, I'm never that impressed. That said, I'll be heavily demoing EOTS next weekend, as I'm adding a pair of Crowson actuators; I can't wait to really ride those ULF waves.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Without sealed subs and lots of room gain, you miss out on about half the opening tones as there are few ported subs able to produce at or below 15Hz with authority. I really enjoy the movie, but every time I demo the opening scene on my system that's reference capable into the upper teens, I'm never that impressed. That said, I'll be heavily demoing EOTS next weekend, as I'm adding a pair of Crowson actuators; I can't wait to really ride those ULF waves.
But you can certainly enjoy the rest of the movie.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Is there a Power Sound Audio owner's thread or is this it? I'm looking for some impressions on the MT-110s, and those are hard to come by. There's basically one review on YouTube. There might be some mentions in this thread, but nothing that comes to the forefront.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Is there a Power Sound Audio owner's thread or is this it? I'm looking for some impressions on the MT-110s, and those are hard to come by. There's basically one review on YouTube. There might be some mentions in this thread, but nothing that comes to the forefront.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1683506-official-power-sound-audio-speaker-thread.html

Only about 204 pages of impressions to read through with plenty of info on the 110's ;)

Feel free to ask away there :)

31381 - 31400 of 57955 Posts