AVS Forum banner

31901 - 31920 of 57879 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
If that really was a 16 inch driver in the middle I bet 99% of folks would look at this picture and assume the driver on the left was a 15 and the driver on the right was a 21.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
:)

There is barely a difference between the SB13 and the SB16. The diffence between a 13 inch driver and a 16 should be greater than a 16 and 18.

·
Registered
14,078 Posts
Yea I figured a cheater plug would probably eliminate it but obviously would not want to leave it that way. I am pretty familiar with ground loop 60hz hums, but being all 3 subs are on 3 different outlets kind of threw me off. However now that I think about it, it's all 1 circuit so it would not matter.

The Jensen unit looks like the best solution, but for 115.00 I will just go back to wireless. Using REW, I measured 0 difference in response, waterfall, Ir, GD...And no hum. And most importantly I can not hear any audible difference.

So now we can say going wireless is a option for eliminating ground loop feedback opposed to using a isolation transformer like the Jensen and not sacrifice sound quality or bass extension. :)
Just want to add that for those looking to go below 10hz, wireless might not be a option. I am not sure where they do start to roll off, but they appear to be good down to 10hz comparing my wired vs wireless base response.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Awesome pics! These photos really make the SVS SB13 and SB16 drivers look nearly the same size. What's your plan for these sealed power houses? Shootout? 😃
Trying to decide which one I'm going to keep in my smaller home theater room. I converted my spare bedroom into a mini man cave.

Where are the Funk 18's?
I sold them. I've owned a lot of flagship subs. The Funk 18.0c's are unquestionably the best all around sub I've ever owned!!! I wanted/needed more output below 40hz which is why I'm ordering the 21.0L master/slave. Stay tuned...

If that really was a 16 inch driver in the middle I bet 99% of folks would look at this picture and assume the driver on the left was a 15 and the driver on the right was a 21.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Couldn't agree more!

·
Registered
14,078 Posts
Trying to decide which one I'm going to keep in my smaller home theater room. I converted my spare bedroom into a mini man cave.

I sold them. I've owned a lot of flagship subs. The Funk 18.0c's are unquestionably the best all around sub I've ever owned!!! I wanted/needed more output below 40hz which is why I'm ordering the 21.0L master/slave. Stay tuned...

Couldn't agree more!
Oh so you have multiple subs for different rooms. What will you be using the 3601 for?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Oh so you have multiple subs for different rooms. What will you be using the 3601 for?
Correct. I currently have dual sb13's in my smaller theater. I bought the s3601 to see if I liked it better in the smaller theater. I just hooked up the s3601 yesterday so I'm still getting in dialed in. I will say I am thoroughly impressed by the sb13's and SVS hit a home run with those. The s3601 is quite impressive so far.

I had dual Funk 18.0c's in my family room theater. As stated, I sold those and will be getting a master/slave combo of the 21.0L but Nathan has a 3 month lead time right now. In the meantime, I decided to give a pair of sb16's a try in my family room since everyone is raving about them. I have kept my impressions extremely reserved about the sb16's because I don't want to get flamed but, dollar/performance wise, the sb16 is the worse sub I've ever auditioned. They are definitely going back!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I figured I would post a little subwoofer eye candy. I currently have a pair of SVS sb13's, a pair of SVS sb16's, and a PSA S3601 that I picked up today.
Those last two pictures showing the SB13 and SB16 and S3601 are cool. That S3601 is larger than I ever realized.
There is barely a difference between the SB13 and the SB16. The difference between a 13 inch driver and a 16 should be greater than a 16 and 18.

That's a great image and really puts the whole "is the SB16 really a 16" driver" into total perspective :confused: - I saw all the measurement stuff back and forth but a picture is worth 1,000 words. And you have a master/slave combo of the 21.0L on order, Wow!

I currently have dual sb13's in my smaller theater. I will say I am thoroughly impressed by the sb13's and SVS hit a home run with those.

In the meantime, I decided to give a pair of sb16's a try in my family room since everyone is raving about them. I have kept my impressions extremely reserved about the sb16's because I don't want to get flamed but, dollar/performance wise, the sb16 is the worse sub I've ever auditioned. They are definitely going back!
I had both SB13s & the SB16s and thought the 20% price increase vs performance was well worth it. So it's interesting that you feel the SB13s are a "home run" but feel the SB16s' "dollar/performance wise, the sb16 is the worse sub I've ever auditioned." It great to learn other people's perspective especially when they have so much in-home experience with as many great products like you do.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts

[B]I had both SB13s & the SB16s and thought the 20% price increase vs performance was well worth it. So it's interesting that you feel the SB13s are a "home run" but feel the SB16s' "dollar/performance wise, the sb16 is the worse sub I've ever auditioned." It great to learn other people's perspective especially when they have so much in-home experience with as many great products like you do.[/B][/quote]

One of the most important things I've learned is that impressions are often largely dictated by expectations. If I was insisting the S3601 "This is a game changer with the most powerful amp ever used in a subwoofer, a brand new 20" driver, and represents the greatest leap forward in subwoofers in the history of mankind..."

I'd bet we'd have a few guys quite disappointed as well...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

·
Registered
506 Posts
@SoCalGuy-99 You said "had"....did you keep the SB16s or no?

·
Registered
374 Posts
One of the most important things I've learned is that impressions are often largely dictated by expectations. If I was insisting the S3601 "This is a game changer with the most powerful amp ever used in a subwoofer, a brand new 20" driver, and represents the greatest leap forward in subwoofers in the history of mankind..."

I'd bet we'd have a few guys quite disappointed as well...
I guess then that Brent Butterworth who gave PSA best subwoofer of the year award in 2016 (http://hometheaterreview.com/home-theater-reviews-best-of-2016-awards/) didn't help matters with his review of the SB16:

Brent Butterworth - HomeTheater Review - "The SB16-Ultra is a truly impressive creation that delivers bass reproduction unlike anything else out there...because perhaps more than any other sub I've tested, it is utterly free of the boominess, sloppiness, and distortion that cause many audiophiles to shy away from subs...I've heard almost all of the top subwoofers currently on the market. The SB16-Ultra sounds like none of them. It's almost in a whole different category of low-frequency sound." - http://hometheaterreview.com/svs-sb1...ofer-reviewed/

·
Registered
190 Posts
@SoCalGuy-99 You said "had"....did you keep the SB16s or no?
I currently still have them but I'm sending them back next week. I'm within the 45 day trial period.

I guess then that Brent Butterworth who gave PSA best subwoofer of the year award in 2016 (http://hometheaterreview.com/home-theater-reviews-best-of-2016-awards/) didn't help matters with his review of the SB16:

Brent Butterworth - HomeTheater Review - "The SB16-Ultra is a truly impressive creation that delivers bass reproduction unlike anything else out there...because perhaps more than any other sub I've tested, it is utterly free of the boominess, sloppiness, and distortion that cause many audiophiles to shy away from subs...I've heard almost all of the top subwoofers currently on the market. The SB16-Ultra sounds like none of them. It's almost in a whole different category of low-frequency sound." - http://hometheaterreview.com/svs-sb1...ofer-reviewed/
I absolutely disagree with this review.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Every. Single. Morning.

7:00am

then

7:03am

then

7:07am

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
LOL…when I asked Tom for the dog's name he said "Right now it's Ripper because she rips everything apart." Now I see what he means.

She's a great dog. I have a puppy at home roughly the same age as little Ripper and I kind of wanted to bring Ripper back home with me to be a playmate with my dog Whiskey. You have an awesome little dog there Tom. She might be a little messy but she's a good girl… super friendly. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey guys, happy Friday! Sooo, I've been playing some bass heavy music and driving my V1801s pretty hard (-10 max) the last hour or so and I've started to notice a smell. Not a bad or burning smell but almost a "new car" type of smell. It's definitely strongest down near the port on both but when I left the room for a second and came back, that's when I noticed it. The amps are just slightly warm. I'm sure it's fine but anyone else experience this with a new sub?

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
From the comments.

Brent • a month ago To me the S3600i, while closer to the SB16-Ultra's price, is a very different sub, which is why I didn't think to compare them. The S3600i has great definition and output, plays lower than the SB16-Ultra, and is of course much larger. The S3600i sounds a little more like a ported sub to me; it doesn't have that extreme punch of the SB-series subs. As I stated in the article, I have come to prefer the sound of ported subs, and the S3600i is closer to that so it would be my personal preference -- IF I had space for it, which I really don't. Once you're getting into a sub that large, the physical considerations can become daunting.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Hey what audio do you guys set your ps4 to? I have a ps4 pro and for some reason when I listen to spotify I can only use 2 or 5 channel... I can select surround modes but it played nothing through my surround speakers. I'm on linear PCM I have tried the dolby and dts Bitstream to with no luck... I don't have this problem when listening to audio cds on my ps3 but I haven't tried spotify on ps3 either (if it's even availible)

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Hey guys, happy Friday! Sooo, I've been playing some bass heavy music and driving my V1801s pretty hard (-10 max) the last hour or so and I've started to notice a smell. Not a bad or burning smell but almost a "new car" type of smell. It's definitely strongest down near the port on both but when I left the room for a second and came back, that's when I noticed it. The amps are just slightly warm. I'm sure it's fine but anyone else experience this with a new sub?
Can't say as I have but I wouldn't worry about it. However, I would pop into chat with Tom just to see if they are familiar with it. If it is a problem they will take care of it.

Reactions: rynomyte

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some thoughts from those with more experience than I. I've got a couple of the original XV15s that have served me well over the past few years (and still do), but I've recently moved my equipment into a smaller space and I'm interested to hear how the newer sealed subs would perform in the room (it's 1755 cubic feet).

My original thought was to try simply adding an S1500, but Tom said it would be a challenge to integrate the sealed sub with the ported ones. With that in mind, here are the options I've been considering:

1. Sell the XV15s and replace them with a single larger sub--an S3000 or, maybe, an S3600.
2. Sell the XV15s and replace them with a couple of smaller subs--S1500s, most likely.
3. Keep the XV15s, add an S1500, and hope for the best.

My biggest concern going with the sealed subs is losing tactile response. I'm not a concrete slab, so I'm sure I'll get some, but I know that it's been reported that ported subs provide significantly more tactile feedback. I also realize duals are better than a single sub, but I really only need good response at a single spot. Oh, and I normally listen no louder than -10 (and, honestly, often significantly lower than that).

What do you guys who've had experience with both ported and sealed think? Would I be giving up anything by going the sealed route?

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
14,078 Posts
Nothing to worry about...one of my subs was like that when it was new...Tom said it's fine. Just the fresh adhesive smell being amplified from the voice coil and amp heat out thru the port.

·
Registered
14,078 Posts
On a side note, somebody please tell me why I should not pull the trigger on dual S3601's? Since Darian97 posted that pic of the S3601 next to the SVS subs, I fear that I might have lost all control! Please help!! I do not need any more bass but god damn that sub looks awesome and is the right height to be used as a end table.

31901 - 31920 of 57879 Posts