AVS Forum banner

32321 - 32340 of 57953 Posts

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,699 Posts
ClawAndTalon - We did a quick comparison at one of Gorrilla83's meets years back. I believe it was with 3 SubMersives connected and we had already taken measurements showing in-room extension into the 8Hz range. I think we played 2-3 clips with a 16-18Hz, 2nd order high pass inserted, and one with no high pass. About 90% in the room raised their hand identifying which one had the full extension vs. high pass.
We have to get Andrew to host another GTG (although his wife may not agree). Those were a lot of fun...

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
"Not knowing what you're missing"........that's never been more true. I was an early adopter (first) to have a full PSA speaker setup, I really thought having the MT 110s as surrounds would be overkill, I couldn't have been more wrong. I couldn't wait to tell the guys here about the LCR 210s and their sound character, more importantly was the seamless 3D sound with having the larger MT110s as surrounds.

I was not used to this type of surround sound integration or how important it was to have capable timbre matched same size drivers in your surround speakers, I literally didn't know what I was missing till I heard the full PSA system, I use the word system because that's exactly what it was, five speakers acting like a single well oiled mechanism to produce the holographic sound waves you didn't know existed in movie or music sources, need I say more?

Sorry about the misses's car wreck, once you get your priorities in check, in my opinion upgrading your speakers will be the most satisfying experience by far, your ears and subs will thank you. Best regards to you and the misses. :)

Cheers Jeffrey
Thank you for your advice and kind words. Yeah it seems like everyone is in agreement that my speakers should be upgraded first. I'm not even convinced I need to upgrade my subs at all! I watched Doctor Strange today and the Bass was AWESOME!!!!:D

Unfortunately we are going to have to buy a new car when we weren't planning on it so there goes my speaker money:(

No worries though as I enjoy my NHT's and since I've never heard the PSA's, I don't know what I'm missing;)
Eventually I'll get some things paid off and the PSA speakers will be waiting for me:D

Reactions: ahblaza

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Hi Hop,

Excuse the intrusion, but I spotted this after the previous mention. I have posted before that I was at the subwoofer comparison being referenced. Due to a critical choice in the use of Audyssey and how it was used (2 sub channels on most, 1 channel on a few models), the only conclusion anyone could safely take away was that the differences between the Audyssey calibrations were more significant than between the more capable sealed and ported subs on hand. In fact the subs using only one channel, as it should have been done, clearly measured and sounded better integrated with the system and smoother. No matter how much effort was put in or egos fanned, there are times to throw out test results as "interesting, but inconclusive," and this is one of them.
Thanks Mark. I find that really interesting. I'm glad you brought up Audyssey because I have a like/dislike relationship going on with Audyssey at the moment. It can be good but at times it can be very annoying. But either way it definitely affects things.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Thank you for your advice and kind words. Yeah it seems like everyone is in agreement that my speakers should be upgraded first. I'm not even convinced I need to upgrade my subs at all! I watched Doctor Strange today and the Bass was AWESOME!!!!:D

Unfortunately we are going to have to buy a new car when we weren't planning on it so there goes my speaker money:(

No worries though as I enjoy my NHT's and since I've never heard the PSA's, I don't know what I'm missing;)
Eventually I'll get some things paid off and the PSA speakers will be waiting for me:D
No one was hurt and you already have quality speakers. Don't even worry about what you're "missing". Time to relax and enjoy a few movies together..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

·
Registered
84 Posts
Our V1801's arrived yesterday. Still working to get them dialed in.
That ought to do the trick. My one V1801 just came a few minutes ago. Sadly it will have to sit in its own box for a few hours. :(

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I'm pretty sure everyone on the your subwoofer video thread is sick of seeing my woofs barely move so I'll post the video here. It just shows how much my room can rattle before you can really see any cone movement

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
^^ subs are a good 6db hot there. That corner of my room flexes the hardest it seems. I even had to take my wall decorations down haha. It was just getting way to out of hand lol

Reactions: Mike Butny

·
Banned
601 Posts
I'm pretty sure everyone on the your subwoofer video thread is sick of seeing my woofs barely move so I'll post the video here. It just shows how much my room can rattle before you can really see any cone movement

https://youtu.be/wIbKYNXueko

Have you ever tried this short clip?? Its kind of one my go-to's when messing with subs..It literally feels like an earthquake is coming with my new V15's!! Speaking of earthquakes , there were a couple last night , one almost a 4.0 centered a few miles east of my house...I was sitting down playing Battlefield1 (which has some excellent sound effects) , and completely missed the whole thing..............Guess it takes more than a 4.0 to challenge a PSA :eek::eek::laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA4PlwSKj8A

Have you ever tried this short clip?? Its kind of one my go-to's when messing with subs..It literally feels like an earthquake is coming with my new V15's!! Speaking of earthquakes , there were a couple last night , one almost a 4.0 centered a few miles east of my house...I was sitting down playing Battlefield1 (which has some excellent sound effects) , and completely missed the whole thing..............Guess it takes more than a 4.0 to challenge a PSA :eek::eek::laugh::laugh::laugh:
That's so funny you posted that because ideas watching JP 3 last night with my boy. It made me want to pop Jurassic world in and see how it was with the t18s for the first time. Then sadly I remembered I let someone barrow it so I couldn't.
That last scene with the t rex thing and raptors was freaking sweet mang!

Edit: I'm an idiot lol I thought the pic was from Jurassic world. My bad!

No I have not scene that clip/demo. I'll have to check it out

·
Banned
601 Posts
That's so funny you posted that because ideas watching JP 3 last night with my boy. It made me want to pop Jurassic world in and see how it was with the t18s for the first time. Then sadly I remembered I let someone barrow it so I couldn't.
That last scene with the t rex thing and raptors was freaking sweet mang!

Edit: I'm an idiot lol I thought the pic was from Jurassic world. My bad!

No I have not scene that clip/demo. I'll have to check it out
LOL.....Yeah im not sure this a clip from any of the films , could be...

·
Registered
114 Posts
What's the difference between the S1800 and S1801? I can't see any info on it on the site. Any pics available of it - or does it basically look the same as the S1800?

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
What's the difference between the S1800 and S1801? I can't see any info on it on the site. Any pics available of it - or does it basically look the same as the S1800?

Thanks
Pretty sure it's the same cabinet and amp, but with a greatly improved driver. When I was researching the V1801, the driver was the only difference I could find. The cabinet dimensions and weight were the same, and the drawings looked the same as the pictures of the 1800.

Reactions: Hopinater

·
Banned
601 Posts
Have you demo'ed the deleted scenes from JW?
The scene where the I-Rex comes up behind them?
Try that one out! It is about 4 minutes into the deleted scenes, right after she covers herself in poop.
Have not seen that one....I dont own any of the JP's on blu-ray...well many blu-rays @ all...I will usually purchase off of Xbox video , netflix , amazon prime.....I wonder how much audio quality is lost as compared to blu-ray or 4K??

·
Registered
7,376 Posts

Thanks
Pretty much what @kansashoops said. Cabinet and cover look the same but they both have had a few modifications made to them to fit the new driver and it's greater excursion capabilities. The amp is the same but the DSP has been changed to match the capabilities of the new driver. The new driver adds about 3dB from 16 to 30Hz. There is also a bit of improvement in the newer driver's sound quality. Over all, the driver has been changed making for some pretty significant changes to sub's capabilities.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Pretty sure it's the same cabinet and amp, but with a greatly improved driver. When I was researching the V1801, the driver was the only difference I could find. The cabinet dimensions and weight were the same, and the drawings looked the same as the pictures of the 1800.
The cabinets for all the new 18" based models(S1801, V1801, S3601, and V3601) have been modified a bit internally but the exterior dimensions remain the same. The amplifier hardware is also the same but the DSP software that controls the amplifiers are all new to fully optimize the new driver~cabinet relationship.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

·
Registered
12,770 Posts
Have not seen that one....I dont own any of the JP's on blu-ray...well many blu-rays @ all...I will usually purchase off of Xbox video , netflix , amazon prime.....I wonder how much audio quality is lost as compared to blu-ray or 4K??
You, my friend, are doing a great disservice to your HT system! It must be fed regularly on DTS-MA HD and Dolby True HD. :D

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Ahhh I see. I'll be studying these. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Compare them to the others on databass too. Just because we don't try to convince potential customers that no other brand can have excellent sound quality doesn't mean we don't spend many, many hours optimizing each Power Sound Audio product in that regard. You may be surprised to see how well we compare. I only checked a few competitors but I didn't see anyone measuring better.

Of course we're not using a voice coil that weighs five pounds either(with horrible efficiency) so some insist our bass is "boomy"..:rolleyes:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

32321 - 32340 of 57953 Posts