AVS Forum banner

33181 - 33200 of 57955 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I dont have Audyssey , I run the calibration thru Onkyos version of audyssey , which im led to believe is not all that great. My sub levels never end up in the negative lately (they did once before but I cant remember what sub , but I know it was nothing compared to the 1801) , in fact I get alot of errors with it now saying there is too much ambient noise when the room is pretty silent so that makes me think it really isnt that great. I have the gain on the sub at about 1 o'clock and the crossover turned all the way clockwise for the LFE. When I run the calibration inside the AVR it always sets my Sub Level @ 0 and Crossover @ 120hz.....I go in and lower the sub level to around -4/-6 , and there is still PLENTY of bass there , some scenes I will lower to 8 or 10 if things start getting crazy..I kind of mess around with the crossover for the sub in the AVR and put it at 80hz as Ive read time and time again , but I have recently put it back to 120hz per a recommendation a few posts back. Not really a lot of difference , maybe someone with a better ear can notice it? So all in all , I need a better receiver that has Audyssey and will give me results that most others on here get.....
You want to leave the sub level at 0 and only adjust the sub trim levels.

Reactions: Pulloutchamp

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Hey Russ I can honestly say I've never owned a sub(s) prior to preordering the PSA XV15 with the bases. As soon as I heard that sub, well you all know the story from here, so I really never compared anything else and don't have the need to. What is it now, coming up on 5 years since I first bought a PSA sub, I think I averaged about four subs per year........:D
Jeffrey my friend, I would have to say that you have gotten smarter, experienced, and stronger, for all the subs that you have been thru. I agree that you do not need to have experienced other subs, especially since you are so happy with the PSA brand, and a loyal customer and avid fan as well!

·
Registered
14,088 Posts
You have 4 subs. YPAO can't time align more than two and I'm not sure how accurately it does that. By time aligning properly you ensure they are allbworkong together constructively at the MLP.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76226
Just wanted to update, I think there is still a bug with this...I can not get my subs aligned via REW. I take a measurement with REW, log the MS delay in the notes, adjust the delay on the amp, rinse repeat and its completely different on the next measurement. It's tail chase. I thought I had it right after the first attempt, I just went back this morning to double check and now it's all different.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Just wanted to update, I think there is still a bug with this...I can not get my subs aligned via REW. I take a measurement with REW, log the MS delay in the notes, adjust the delay on the amp, rinse repeat and its completely different on the next measurement. It's tail chase. I thought I had it right after the first attempt, I just went back this morning to double check and now it's all different.
You have to use the acoustic timing reference for this to have any accuracy. Are you doing that?

·
Registered
14,088 Posts
You have to use the acoustic timing reference for this to have any accuracy. Are you doing that?
Yep...using the right speaker. each time I close and open the program it gives me a totally different timing reference. First it was 12ms, next time it was 51ms...etc. It's never the same.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Yep...using the right speaker. each time I close and open the program it gives me a totally different timing reference. First it was 12ms, next time it was 51ms...etc. It's never the same.
Tick "Wait for timing reference". I got a few wonky readings just now and selecting this has made the results repeatable.

Are you measuring 0-300Hz or 20-300Hz? I switched to 20 because I am trying to use the feature (Overlays, Phase) to align with the front speakers (set to large just for measurement) at the crossover frequency.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Hey Bass, if I remember correctly using an acoustic timing reference for sub only measurements does not yield consistent results, I could be totally off base here, that's why I asked Marc what he was using as the reference. I believe the best way to time align multiple subs is to use the miniDSP with a single sub output prior to running RC software. Like I said I could be totally wrong here.

I stand corrected I think, the method below is for AVRs that do not have the SUB EQ feature and no independent sub preouts......This is consistent with Dirac Live and XT32 without sub eq. I still like this procedure even if you have sub eq.

How to Time-Align Multiple Subs on a Single Output Channel

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7jmpozner6muzw/MiniDSP 2x4 Set-Up Guide Latest Version.pdf?dl=0

·
Registered
14,088 Posts
Hey Bass, if I remember correctly using an acoustic timing reference for sub only measurements does not yield consistent results, I could be totally off base here, that's why I asked Marc what he was using as the reference. I believe the best way to time align multiple subs is to use the miniDSP with a single sub output prior to running RC software. Like I said I could be totally wrong here.

I stand corrected I think, the method below is for AVRs that do not have the SUB EQ feature and no independent sub preouts......This is consistent with Dirac Live and XT32 without sub eq. I still like this procedure even if you have sub eq.

How to Time-Align Multiple Subs on a Single Output Channel

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7jmpozner6muzw/MiniDSP 2x4 Set-Up Guide Latest Version.pdf?dl=0
Jeff, thanks for the link but I do not believe you need a Mini DSP when the subs have their own independent time delay controls...that is one of the big advantages of ICE amps. :)

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
@basshead81 something is screwy with REW and its new distance/delay calculations. I am running v5.19 beta 3.

I swear, this works absolutely flawlessly with my sealed subs upstairs.

I went as far as to swap amplifiers on my ported subs between the two subs because of the erratic results. With the new ported subs, while my readings are repeatable (as long as the mic is not moved) the results are wonky with just small movements of the mic position. I'm talking 10ms to 30ms to 70ms with just 3-5 ft movements of the mic position. I remove the furniture from the room and everything is fine.

The furniture seems to be altering phase at certain frequencies. This seems to f'up the REW calculation. Look at the phase overlays and you can see what I am talking about.

I don't see any other choice but to remove the furniture to time align and then replace. WWAD? (What Would Audyssey subEQ DO?) :p

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Another option for setting delay/phase is the Sound Doctor method:
-Set distance levels for all speakers to 7 ft in the receiver menu
-set the subwoofer distance to 19 ft
-disconnect all speakers except the one closest to the sub
-connect front speaker closest to sub out of phase
- stand midway between the sub and closest speaker to it
-run an 80hz tone (or whatever your crossover is)
-adjust sub phase/delay until it is at its lowest volume
-reconnect front speaker in proper phase
-repeat if more than 1 sub
-reconnect everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
@basshead81 something is screwy with REW and its new distance/delay calculations. I am running v5.19 beta 3.

I swear, this works absolutely flawlessly with my sealed subs upstairs.

I went as far as to swap amplifiers on my ported subs between the two subs because of the erratic results. With the new ported subs, while my readings are repeatable (as long as the mic is not moved) the results are wonky with just small movements of the mic position. I'm talking 10ms to 30ms to 70ms with just 3-5 ft movements of the mic position. I remove the furniture from the room and everything is fine.

The furniture seems to be altering phase at certain frequencies. This seems to f'up the REW calculation. Look at the phase overlays and you can see what I am talking about.

I don't see any other choice but to remove the furniture to time align and then replace. WWAD? (What Would Audyssey subEQ DO?) :p
@basshead81 @ahblaza and all, we can't rely on the delay/distance reading. We have to use the impulse overlay. Full details in the REW thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=52447409

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
upgrading from a bic america f12

looked at the psa page. wanted something in the $500 to $600 range, 10 or 12 woofer

psa doesnt offer that size?
Afraid not, they never offered anything below 15" drivers, the XV15 was their first sub and I think I paid $699 for it then.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
upgrading from a bic america f12

looked at the psa page. wanted something in the $500 to $600 range, 10 or 12 woofer

psa doesnt offer that size?
No. HSU, Rythmik, and Outlaw are the top contenders in that price range. Sometimes you can find an XS-15se for $675 in the outlet center, but they don't last long. I traded in dual XS-15se's recently--they hit the outlet this past Tuesday, but I see they're gone already!

·
Registered
91 Posts
has anyone cracked windows with too much sub before? my 3000i is near a window...I can see the window vibrating. It would be very bad if I ended up breaking it.
And oh...the subwoofer induced vibrations crash my desktop pc...another problem I have to deal with.

33181 - 33200 of 57955 Posts