AVS Forum banner

44661 - 44680 of 57960 Posts

·
AVS ***** Member
8,892 Posts
what is reference ?

Hi,

That question is actually more complicated than it sounds. But, just to hit the highlights: "Reference" is a Dolby/THX standard originally developed for 5.1 movies and for home theater applications. A nominal average volume of 85db is assumed, with maximum peak volumes of 105db for the regular channels, and 115db for the LFE channel.

An HT system which has been calibrated to Reference by an auto-calibration system, such as Audyssey, will play "average" volumes of 85db, and peak volumes of 105db and 115db, as described above, when the master volume is 0.0. The reality is more complicated than that, in several respects, but that is the essence of it.

If you want to understand more about it, there is a detailed discussion of it here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2958528-guide-subwoofer-calibration-bass-preferences.html#IIA

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
A bit off topic, sorta, but I just renewed my tidal masters subscription after a few months off and with my dragonfly red dac, I am completely amazed on how unveiled my speakers and bass sound versus the default pandora on my denon. CraZy bass from average tracks from the v3601 and v1801.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Regardless of who did the calibration it's not the correct way to do a sub only measurement or speaker + sub bass response sweep. L+subs R+subs C+subs subs with bass management engaged 15-300Hz and subs only with no smoothing. Speakers + subs 15-20000Hz smoothing is acceptable and reco'd.....

Here's an example of a smoothed and un-smoothed sub response only out to 100Hz, the lower bass is not affected much but you can see the difference, looks like two different graphs but they are identical except for the smoothing. I noticed all the other measurements taken were not smoothed and should have been, I don't understand why smoothing was used only on the LFE (subs)......I'm not trying to be a smart a** just pointing what I observed.........

Here is the non smoothed graph

Attachments

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Here is the non smoothed graph
You should be pleased with that, it seems the non smoothed graph has a better or less severe roll off below 20Hz than the smoothed one, what's the bass response look like with subs and speakers after 100Hz, I'm assuming that's the subs only and it's better than I initially thought, how it sounds to you is what really matters, do you believe it was an upgrade coming from the older S36s to the 11s?

·
Registered
2,727 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hey peeps! Wanted to ask the PSA pros about nearfield placement. Attached is a grade school render of my room. Here's the skinny: I have an S3600i arriving this week along with some Buttkickers (4 of them, but only using 2 to replace my single Aura shaker). Due to space limitations in this shoebox of a room, the incoming 3600 will have to go up front, between the center and front right speakers.

My existing S3000i measures 18" x 24" x 22.5" with grilles, and I want to place it to the left of my MLP (the loveseat), turning it into a nearfield end table of sorts. Do I have the proper clearances for this to work properly? I think the idea is to have at least 1 driver firing into the MLP, but then the other driver would only be maybe 2" from the side wall. I guess I was thinking the drivers would be facing away from the MLP, with one facing the rear wall and the other out into the room.

I also considered stacking both of them where the 3000i lives, but the surround left speaker is mounted on the side wall just above it, and the resulting towering inferno of bass would also be blocking part of the front left speaker.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
You should be pleased with that, it seems the non smoothed graph has a better or less severe roll off below 20Hz than the smoothed one, what's the bass response look like with subs and speakers after 100Hz, I'm assuming that's the subs only and it's better than I initially thought, how it sounds to you is what really matters, do you believe it was an upgrade coming from the older S36s to the 11s?
here is the graph with all speakers. I really do think the 01 drivers are a big upgrade over the 00 drivers. I told Tom that and he said there is a lot more going on with the new drivers other then the cea-2010 'score'. I am very happy with the upgrade.

Attachments

44661 - 44680 of 57960 Posts