AVS Forum banner

45261 - 45280 of 57917 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I changed it to logarithmic I believe. Does this look correct? I never knew that button existed for that reason I was on my way out the door on the way to work so I didn’t have time to post it on the computer so I just took a snapshot on my phone. I also want to point out that these two subs are in the best location in my room and both of those subs are against the thickest walls And you can see that even being boosted by 2 dB, which it was in this picture, my very low bass is nowhere near as cooked with the house curve as some other peoples rooms. It’s just the cards I’m dealt. My room really accentuates midbass. I should also point out that my room size knob is all the way to the maximum for this, imagine if I turned it down to lowest :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah thanks Dave. Honestly I think it's looking pretty damn good mate!
IMHO your LF drop-off looks much less exaggerated when the graph is set to logarithmic (which is how it should be set for sweeps) ,when set to linear it looks like it drops off a cliff at 22hz when really you have a fairly shallow roll-off.
Even though your response is down a few dBs by 10hz (as is mine) I guarantee this will still add some "weight" to tracks that have content down there.
I bet 13 hours will sound awesome, that FR looks like it's made to reproduce some high-calibre gun fire scenes!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Warning: My first AVS Forum Post

Hello,

I ordered my first PSA sub (V1811) and I am now patiently (checking my email every hour for a shipment notification and annoying Tom almost every other day in chat for updates) waiting for it to arrive. I have never owned a "big boy" sub despite being involved in home theater for well over a decade. Right now I have two - 10" Klipsch subwoofers that are less than $150. They make a surprising amount of noise and rattle my house quite a bit. Im here to ask fellow owners of PSA subs what to expect going from a dual little subs to a V1811. Should I be as excited as I am or hone my expectations? I do plan on adding a second V1811 in the future. I attached a picture of the little guys with the rest of my gear for reference. Thanks all =)
Welcome to the rabbit hole. lol

I dare you to keep reading this forum for the next couple of weeks while you enjoy your new sub. I started off with one sub and now have 3 with plans to upgrade 2 of them. PSA has excellent customer service even after your product arrives. We are glad to have you!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I changed it to logarithmic I believe. Does this look correct? I never knew that button existed for that reason I was on my way out the door on the way to work so I didn’t have time to post it on the computer so I just took a snapshot on my phone. I also want to point out that these two subs are in the best location in my room and both of those subs are against the thickest walls And you can see that even being boosted by 2 dB, which it was in this picture, my very low bass is nowhere near as cooked with the house curve as some other peoples rooms. It’s just the cards I’m dealt. My room really accentuates midbass. I should also point out that my room size knob is all the way to the maximum for this, imagine if I turned it down to lowest :)

Doesn't it feel good to finally have it as good as you can get it and be satisfied with what you hear and feel? Such a relief and release.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome to the rabbit hole. lol

I dare you to keep reading this forum for the next couple of weeks while you enjoy your new sub. I started off with one sub and now have 3 with plans to upgrade 2 of them. PSA has excellent customer service even after your product arrives. We are glad to have you!

Thanks Rolls. While making my first post I realized I signed up for AVS in 2008, so I’m a long time reader and observer of folks going down the rabbit hole. Now that I finally jumped in I’m having a hard time being patient. I figured I’d pop in here and say hello to maybe ease the waiting process. What do you have/what are you upgrading to?

Reactions: GeoJustGeo

·
Registered
615 Posts
3 years ago I was a part time lurker, with a 5.1 system and an 8" Sunfire sub. Now I have a 5.4.3 system complete with Atmos, three 15" PSA subs, a miniDSP for bass EQ, and REW/UMIK-1 to verify I'm maximizing my system. And I'll bet I not very close to the bottom of the hole yet...

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Very nice man, bet its sounding fantastic!!!! If possible can you click the Freq Axis tab and change it from Linear to Logarithmic? it makes it easier to compare

Looking forward to your first YouTube upload with the new beasts, Suck My Bass (Lo & Slo Remix) will be killer I bet!

I changed it to logarithmic I believe. Does this look correct? I never knew that button existed for that reason I was on my way out the door on the way to work so I didn’t have time to post it on the computer so I just took a snapshot on my phone. I also want to point out that these two subs are in the best location in my room and both of those subs are against the thickest walls And you can see that even being boosted by 2 dB, which it was in this picture, my very low bass is nowhere near as cooked with the house curve as some other peoples rooms. It’s just the cards I’m dealt. My room really accentuates midbass. I should also point out that my room size knob is all the way to the maximum for this, imagine if I turned it down to lowest 🙂

Looks good David. How hot are u running your sub trims?

·
Registered
14,083 Posts
Great write up David and I'm glad you have found the switch to sealed satisfies your desires. Honestly I've been sitting by quietly for the past few weeks waiting to see what your impressions would be because I really like the sound of my S1801 in the living room a lot and have been considering doing what you just did, switch from ported to sealed in the basement. Don't get me wrong, I still love the sound of the V3601s but I'm just getting the itch to try something different.

So I'll ask this question (but I'm pretty sure I already know your answer): For movies what do you think you would choose dual V3601's or dual S3601's? Since I'm guessing you're going to say dual V3601's allow me to follow up with a second question. How much advantage would you say you might get with the dual V3601's for movies over dual S3601's? I know all of this is room dependent and based on personal taste but you are one of the few who have experience with both subs so I'm really interested in your opinion.

I have had ported subs for many years and I really like them. But a part of me wants to switch to sealed and experience them in full force in my HT. But if I do it I want to make it count. I absolutely do not want to be underwhelmed and I'm afraid that dual V3601's are a hard act to follow when it comes to sheer force of energy. So that means if I go sealed I need to have enough fire power to be happy. I'm guessing it may take three to four S3601's to match the brute force of two V3601's. But that's just a guess, you'd know far better than me. Thoughts?

That also goes for everyone... I'm interested in what everyone thinks.
It would be a step backwards for your large room....If you want to go sealed then you need 7201's or make the room smaller.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
8 hot Although the graph I posted does not suggest it. That’s the one that I took immediately after I used audyssey. It’s obviously bumped up a little bit since I added 8 dB.

Hi David. I'm curious to see what type of native response you get with no EQ at all. Do you have any of those by chance?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
David did you try running Audy with Room Size at small AND medium, then switching to large after to see what it gives you?

I ran it at medium before audy and then cranked it to half afterwards. The graph is with the knob at large however. My room hates low bass :)

I wonder if my low ceilings and being on a slab is any reason

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The V1801 traded in by @David Charles has arrived safely at its new home. Looking forward to getting everything dialed in after work.
Awesome man, give me impressions once set up, etc. Also, if you get the itch, don't be afraid to crank it up to reference as it will eat up movies/movies if you care/dare to listen that loud. The drivers are well protected.

Just my 2c,

Dave

·
AVS ***** Member
8,892 Posts
@Hopinater, since you are closer, we would totally trust your judgement. I bought ported originally because I had an open room. I now have a somewhat dedicated room, and is pretty much sealed. I contacted Tom about options via chat, but not real serious, as the sealed sub bug is infecting me with upgraditus.....
Good question. I couldn't really answer that a few hours ago but I can now. What happened in the last few hours you may wonder? Well... I'll tell you. I just watched Blade Runner 2049 in Dolby Atmos and it reminded me of a few things. They are:

1. Holy Smokes!! The dual V3601's are incredible. I started that movie and right off the bat I said to myself "What was I thinking... I love these ported beasts!!" The way they create monstrous energy in the room is something I absolutely love.

2. Atmos is something I highly recommend to everyone. BR 2049 in Atmos is one of the most (if not THE most) immersive movies I'ver ever experienced. The way it uses the ceiling speakers to envelope you in it's electronic futuristic eerie soundtrack is something to behold.

3. The Crowsons are the icing on the cake. On a slab I've come to believe they are an essential piece of equipment to get a full tactile experience. They take a great movie experience and make it exceptional.

So Mike... to answer your question about what my goals are? Nothing really. As you know, every six months or so I start wondering what a set of sealed subs would sound like in the HT and then I play something like BR 2049 and all is right with the world again.

I think my problem is I haven't bought a sub in over a year now and I'm really going through some serious withdrawal.

Hi,

Catching up on this thread can sometimes be a roller coaster ride, as people consider changing AVR's, or moving from ported to sealed subs, or vice versa. :p :)

Room size is certainly a factor in subwoofer selection, as it has a great deal of bearing on the amount of bass amplification we get under about 30Hz. I think that one of the things that we probably don't mention enough in some of these discussions, though, is the impact that room construction has on some of our subwoofer choices (or placements). David's experience with his relatively bass-porous front wall was a great example of that. Another is whether we are on concrete or on suspended wood floors. I think that can have an enormous effect on the low-bass frequencies we feel in our rooms. And, that's not just SPL-related. Ported subs can generate a great deal more low-bass TR, near their port tunes, than sealed subs can.

The second thing that many of these discussions neglect to emphasize is the issue of user preference. If we were buying a car, we wouldn't necessarily get too excited about the color of a new car that someone else had just bought, if we knew that we actually liked another color better. We might enjoy the color of his new car, and enjoy his excitement with it, and yet still select something different for our own use. But, we do get excited when someone says that a different AVR, or room correction system, or a different kind of subwoofer, sounds better to him.

It's not disrespectful to the person who loves what he has just bought to recognize that we may still prefer something different for our own use. I think that it has been extremely interesting to watch Jeffrey and David, experiment with different types of subs, with very similar sound signatures, and to observe how those subwoofers have satisfied their preferences. I think I learn a little more every time I read about experiences like theirs. But, I think that Hop nailed it when he said that, for most of us, it is mainly the excitement of watching someone else buy subwoofers that makes us second-guess our own choices.

I think that different individuals, in different size rooms (especially with different types of floor construction), and with different priorities for music versus movies, and with different preferences for what they hear and feel, will inevitably make different choices in subwoofers. One choice won't be universally better than another--just better for that particular individual, in that particular room. Learning to recognize our own circumstances and preferences helps us to continue to focus on the choices that are better for us. Just thinking out loud on this one! :)

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hi,

Catching up on this thread can sometimes be a roller coaster ride, as people consider changing AVR's, or moving from ported to sealed subs, or vice versa. :p :)

Room size is certainly a factor in subwoofer selection, as it has a great deal of bearing on the amount of bass amplification we get under about 30Hz. I think that one of the things that we probably don't mention enough in some of these discussions, though, is the impact that room construction has on some of our subwoofer choices (or placements). David's experience with his relatively bass-porous front wall was a great example of that. Another is whether we are on concrete or on suspended wood floors. I think that can have an enormous effect on the low-bass frequencies we feel in our rooms. And, that's not just SPL-related. Ported subs can generate a great deal more low-bass TR, near their port tunes, than sealed subs can.

The second thing that many of these discussions neglect to emphasize is the issue of user preference. If we were buying a car, we wouldn't necessarily get too excited about the color of a new car that someone else had just bought, if we knew that we actually liked another color better. We might enjoy the color of his new car, and enjoy his excitement with it, and yet still select something different for our own use. But, we do get excited when someone says that a different AVR, or room correction system, or a different kind of subwoofer, sounds better to him.

It's not disrespectful to the person who loves what he has just bought to recognize that we may still prefer something different for our own use. I think that it has been extremely interesting to watch Jeffrey and David, experiment with different types of subs, with very similar sound signatures, and to observe how those subwoofers have satisfied their preferences. I think I learn a little more every time I read about experiences like theirs. But, I think that Hop nailed it when he said that, for most of us, it is mainly the excitement of watching someone else buy subwoofers that makes us second-guess our own choices.

I think that different individuals, in different size rooms (especially with different types of floor construction), and with different priorities for music versus movies, and with different preferences for what they hear and feel, will inevitably make different choices in subwoofers. One choice won't be universally better than another--just better for that particular individual, in that particular room. Learning to recognize our own circumstances and preferences helps us to continue to focus on the choices that are better for us. Just thinking out loud on this one! :)

Regards,
Mike
*Mike you are correct... watching people get new gear amps up the "what if" idea and that can be costly. Hop did the most economical thing by playing BR2049 and that quenched his desire or need for more :)

*And the nice thing is that we can try both and send them back if we don't like them with PSA.

*I spent the last 2 days calibrating mostly and cant wait for the weekend to actually LISTEN to my system.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Good question. I couldn't really answer that a few hours ago but I can now. What happened in the last few hours you may wonder? Well... I'll tell you. I just watched Blade Runner 2049 in Dolby Atmos and it reminded me of a few things. They are:

1. Holy Smokes!! The dual V3601's are incredible. I started that movie and right off the bat I said to myself "What was I thinking... I love these ported beasts!!" The way they create monstrous energy in the room is something I absolutely love.

2. Atmos is something I highly recommend to everyone. BR 2049 in Atmos is one of the most (if not THE most) immersive movies I'ver ever experienced. The way it uses the ceiling speakers to envelope you in it's electronic futuristic eerie soundtrack is something to behold.

3. The Crowsons are the icing on the cake. On a slab I've come to believe they are an essential piece of equipment to get a full tactile experience. They take a great movie experience and make it exceptional.

So Mike... to answer your question about what my goals are? Nothing really. As you know, every six months or so I start wondering what a set of sealed subs would sound like in the HT and then I play something like BR 2049 and all is right with the world again.

I think my problem is I haven't bought a sub in over a year now and I'm really going through some serious withdrawal.
I can totally relate to this Hop! That's why staying off the forums is the best thing for someone's sanity and wallet. It's certainly fun and exciting to see what other people are experiencing, but what it does to the brain is a whole notha' can of worms. I had a similar experience when going back and forth between the upgrade bug but after watching RP1 where I sort of "came back down to Earth." My 15V is nowhere near as potent as others in this forum, but like others have said the sub itself can't be the only consideration. We have to factor in room size, distance from the sub, playback levels, source material, sensitivity to low frequencies, etc etc. I played RP1 at -14db and had the sub 7db hot. I have Accueq and I have the trim at -10 so only bumped up the gain on the back of the sub itself. It's about 9 feet from the MLP in the rear right of the room. The bass was so satisfying that I can't wait to watch that movie again. I have plenty of gas left in the tank so I could always go up 3db and I still would not be utilizing all the sub has to offer.

But yet I may go to, "I wonder if I should upgrade." lol But so true...sometimes we just gotta listen to remind ourselves what we actually have.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I ran it at medium before audy and then cranked it to half afterwards. The graph is with the knob at large however. My room hates low bass :)

I wonder if my low ceilings and being on a slab is any reason

Did you mean you cranked up to LARGE afterward?

Reactions: GeoJustGeo
45261 - 45280 of 57917 Posts