AVS Forum banner

45681 - 45700 of 57919 Posts

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I forgot just how much bass the movie “Oz the great and powerful” has. Wow. Especially the last half. My house was taking some major hits and I was on a listing at -15 mv.

I’ve never heard a movie that uses better surround effects. this is the first time I actually listened and a decent volume without my kids complaining. Yes, I watched it by myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes Sir @David Charles, that movie starting with that twister has some great sound and can pound the room, especially with some nice new additions to your room.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Thank you sir. It is possible to be a moderate bassaholic!

haha ....you really gotta love this place - where 2 x V3601s makes you a "moderate bassaholic"
I agree. I would say you have to own four subs and have them in the same room to be a hardcore bassaholic. I too am a moderate for sure.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree. I would say you have to own four subs and have them in the same room to be a hardcore bassaholic. I too am a moderate for sure.
I have two DIY 18s, getting a 3rd sub soon (S3611 or V3611)...

Once I get the 3rd sub and Crowson MAs for ULF tactile feel, will I be considered moderate? Hardcore? In limbo?

Reactions: CallingMrBenzo

·
Registered
12,770 Posts
I have four and still want more...what does that make me?

:D

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Ahh...the good old days of SVS
Those were special times that ended too soon. I've said it before but once we added Stephen Ponte to the r/d tent...man what could have been. The ONE project we designed from the ground up was the PB13u. I signed off on that design in spring 2007(iirc). That sub could STILL go neck to neck with pretty much anything available NOW(11 years later!) at it's price point. I'm not sure there's another subwoofer, anywhere, that could make that claim. And that is with the woofer assembled on site in Ohio. The black satin cabinets made in Ohio too. The amps were from Canada or China. I can't remember exactly when we were forced to go to China. So $1499 with everything(but the amp) sourced in the USA, and the product assembled in Ohio. It's difficult for me to truly convey the potential we had in place.

I still remember testing the very first 13 woofer proto type. It performed, poorly. Ponte had been with us for a while by now but this was his first "ground up" design that we gave him 100% control over. I left him alone and just said if you need anything let me know. When we measured the proto type I called him at his office and instructed him to drop whatever he was doing and come to the measurement area. He gets there and I show him the data-set. Everything was off, WAY off. BL, FS, compliance, qes, efficiency was so bad I thought the motor wasn't magnetized correctly.

He was like "oh right on, this is exactly what I wanted, groovy man!". I'll have the second version glued up tonight and it will be a beautiful thing, just beautiful!" I mean, he was just so happy? Jim and I just exchanged glances like "this kid has no clue, how can he look at THIS data-set and be happy about anything". And I'M thinking what have I done? This is my responsibility, we have a schedule, and I made a HUGE mistake I'm going to have to explain to all the other owners(of svs) now. I;m the one who sold them on giving Ponte control over the woofer design. I mean I told him exactly what I needed, but I left it up to him on how to best implement it all to get that result. Even more troubling was how happy this kid is about an ugly looking data-set. I literally wondered if he was a little "off" after that. He just wasn't accepting reality?

So anyway, I'm not saying anything to anyone (other owners) about this as we'll be measuring the second version in a few days. I'm just putting together a plan-b on how to minimize the delays/costs. You don't present a problem without also presenting solutions. Few days go by, he brings the second version for testing. Now, the first version was so bad that best case ...BEST case would be this one is trending the right way and MAYBE with another 1-2 tries we're getting close to our targets.

We measure. It is spot on perfect. Spot on. I mean it's essentially what we went to production with and it still in production now!

He was there and so nonchalant about it all. We run the sets multiple times to check for any variance and it's spot on. This kid just designed a woofer that could toe-toe with ANYTHING in the industry at that time with a tiny fraction of the r/d tools everyone else has(big brands). And after we all see its perfect he's just like "yeah, right on man. Need anything else Tom because I need to get back to my office".

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
In the theme of discussing expansion... I know it would probably be really expensive and PSA can't do it this year because of bringing the amps and the finishing booth in house
Most new product scenarios would require a significant cash outlay, that is true. But in this case, the dual 15/1960w/low tuned enclosure wouldn't require much at all.

·
Registered
14,083 Posts
I have two DIY 18s, getting a 3rd sub soon (S3611 or V3611)...

Once I get the 3rd sub and Crowson MAs for ULF tactile feel, will I be considered moderate? Hardcore? In limbo?
depends on the alignment of your DIY 18's....keep them matching ported or sealed.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
I think this is where I am also. I know some guys love all the rattling and vibration, but I prefer good, clean intense low frequencies when the movie calls for it. I find excessive rattling distracting. My dual v3601’s deliver in spades. I’ve done all I can do to prevent low bass from infiltrating into the kitchen above, and subs with a lower port tune would create problems with the other people I share the house with. If PSA does come out with a lower tuned sub, I’d still be interested in the feedback from owners here, but I’ve most likely reached the lower practical limit with what I have now. Satisfaction is not a bad thing...

Also, for anyone curious about acoustics and how measurements correlate to our own listening experiences this is the best 60 bucks you'll ever spend.

https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reproduction-Psychoacoustics-Loudspeakers-Engineering/dp/113892136X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541176678&sr=8-1&keywords=floyd+toole&dpID=51kMjxzNGDL&preST=_SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

Toole has a knack for making complex topics accessible and yet concise. And he also offers practical tips for every audio enthusiast regardless of your level of "insanity"..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

·
Registered
63 Posts
Get a s3611 unless you have a huge room... concrete or no concrete ;)

depends on the alignment of your DIY 18's....keep them matching ported or sealed.
Appreciate the responses!!

Should have had more ;) ;) in my original post, was being sort of sarcastic re: wondering my classification, and if I was specifically asking for advice on S3611 vs V3611 I would have given more details on my room/current equipment, but I do really appreciate the input! This forum is great!!

I already have emails going back and forth with Tom who is helping me choose, but you guys are hitting the nail on the head anyway. I am just waiting for a final email from Tom re: some frequency responses I took nearfield of DIYs, but looks like I will be going S3611 regardless - should have been an obvious choice given the sealed DIYs I already have, but had bad case of 'purchase decision anxiety' and unfortunately I won't be able to utilise the 60 day trial period in my circumstance, so wanted to be sure before I ordered.

I do have (what I would consider) a large room - 24x24x7, left side open to stairwell going upstairs. Doorway in rear of room. Flooring is carpet over concrete.

My DIYs are both sealed and I still get decent room gain down to 10hz (DIYs seem to go down to about 18-19hz or so before dropping off based on my interpretation of nearfield measurements)

EDIT: Heard back from Tom... S3611 is officially ordered!

Will post pics once I have the beauty in!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Also, for anyone curious about acoustics and how measurements correlate to our own listening experiences this is the best 60 bucks you'll ever spend.

https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Reproduction-Psychoacoustics-Loudspeakers-Engineering/dp/113892136X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541176678&sr=8-1&keywords=floyd+toole&dpID=51kMjxzNGDL&preST=_SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

Toole has a knack for making complex topics accessible and yet concise. And he also offers practical tips for every audio enthusiast regardless of your level of "insanity"..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Book ordered!

Reactions: Haiej

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Those were special times that ended too soon. I've said it before but once we added Stephen Ponte to the r/d tent...man what could have been. The ONE project we designed from the ground up was the PB13u. I signed off on that design in spring 2007(iirc). That sub could STILL go neck to neck with pretty much anything available NOW(11 years later!) at it's price point. I'm not sure there's another subwoofer, anywhere, that could make that claim. And that is with the woofer assembled on site in Ohio. The black satin cabinets made in Ohio too. The amps were from Canada or China. I can't remember exactly when we were forced to go to China. So $1499 with everything(but the amp) sourced in the USA, and the product assembled in Ohio. It's difficult for me to truly convey the potential we had in place.

I still remember testing the very first 13 woofer proto type. It performed, poorly. Ponte had been with us for a while by now but this was his first "ground up" design that we gave him 100% control over. I left him alone and just said if you need anything let me know. When we measured the proto type I called him at his office and instructed him to drop whatever he was doing and come to the measurement area. He gets there and I show him the data-set. Everything was off, WAY off. BL, FS, compliance, qes, efficiency was so bad I thought the motor wasn't magnetized correctly.

He was like "oh right on, this is exactly what I wanted, groovy man!". I'll have the second version glued up tonight and it will be a beautiful thing, just beautiful!" I mean, he was just so happy? Jim and I just exchanged glances like "this kid has no clue, how can he look at THIS data-set and be happy about anything". And I'M thinking what have I done? This is my responsibility, we have a schedule, and I made a HUGE mistake I'm going to have to explain to all the other owners(of svs) now. I;m the one who sold them on giving Ponte control over the woofer design. I mean I told him exactly what I needed, but I left it up to him on how to best implement it all to get that result. Even more troubling was how happy this kid is about an ugly looking data-set. I literally wondered if he was a little "off" after that. He just wasn't accepting reality?

So anyway, I'm not saying anything to anyone (other owners) about this as we'll be measuring the second version in a few days. I'm just putting together a plan-b on how to minimize the delays/costs. You don't present a problem without also presenting solutions. Few days go by, he brings the second version for testing. Now, the first version was so bad that best case ...BEST case would be this one is trending the right way and MAYBE with another 1-2 tries we're getting close to our targets.

We measure. It is spot on perfect. Spot on. I mean it's essentially what we went to production with and it still in production now!

He was there and so nonchalant about it all. We run the sets multiple times to check for any variance and it's spot on. This kid just designed a woofer that could toe-toe with ANYTHING in the industry at that time with a tiny fraction of the r/d tools everyone else has(big brands). And after we all see its perfect he's just like "yeah, right on man. Need anything else Tom because I need to get back to my office".

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
That's a great story, Tom.

Is that the same Stephen Ponte who's now a Development Engineer at JL Audio?

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
Okay, I'm officially very jealous of you guys with your HT on a suspended floor instead of concrete. Last night I was watching the movie "Stitch" which has some occasional bass moments and when those moments hit the S1801 was vibrating the couch like it had Crowsons under it. Suspended floors are sooooo much better than concrete floors for providing the full effect of Bass.

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
Okay, I'm officially very jealous of you guys with your HT on a suspended floor instead of concrete. Last night I was watching the movie "Stitch" which has some occasional bass moments and when those moments hit the S1801 was vibrating the couch like it had Crowsons under it. Suspended floors are sooooo much better than concrete floors for providing the full effect of Bass.
I guess we (with suspended floors) just take it for granted. I remember demoing some ULF bass videos off of Youtube for some friends and even with just my PC12+ there was a moment or two where you could actually feel the floor flex slightly. :D

I can only imagine what a pair of truly powerful, low tuned subs would do.

Reactions: Hopinater

·
Registered
500 Posts
That's a great story, Tom.

Is that the same Stephen Ponte who's now a Development Engineer at JL Audio?

That Fathom® f112v2-GLOSS 12 inch must be one heck of a subwoofer at $3700!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
True but you get the best of both worlds in your basement set-up. Bass tends to sound tighter/cleaner on concrete and your Crowsons give you that suspended floor feeling.

45681 - 45700 of 57919 Posts