AVS Forum banner

45781 - 45800 of 57919 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
I am bumping your post in hopes for responses. I am also interested in issues for a large open room, For me it would be for music only. I would like to try a sealed sub but which one? Could I get buy with a 15 inch or do the benefits accrue even if you will never have enough subwoofer for the large room?

Hey Tom, guys, whomever- noob question-

I have 2 S3000i, in what you can't even call a room- might as well be an open air 2 story lobby open to the rest of the house and loft, and nowhere close to square, no real walls except one that is only a fireplace.

Needless to say I went though a LOT of subs starting from a single POS that came bundled with a sound bar, to a single better but still small- then another one of those to a single S1500 to a single S3000 to my now pair of S3000 and I could use more IMO....

Anyway- I have a Denon w/ XT32 and also an anti-mode dual core.

Given my horrible room layout, I don't expect miracles- but was just wondering, is there any reason I should need to play with the delay setting or just let the software on both do whatever it does?

I'm leaving room size on big, and putting in as much house curve as I can with the settings. I also switched last night to main+subs for fun to see what happens and I think I hear an added fullness to the front stage, voices, etc- 210T L/R and 210C. I know normally that is not what you guys in normal size square rooms do- but I think my 'area' needs as much moving around as it can get as there aren't much reflections- and what there is - well, a giagantic wall of windows 20+ feet high.

Going to play with it again tonight if anyone has suggestions... 2 nights ago I set up a 'left' and 'right' surround speaker in my totally not left and right spots of my L shaped couch and love seat...my wife said- you can't keep these giant things here...but I did notice what I thought was a more immersive experience- first time ever having any sort of surround. I will probably try to find something really small to fill the role on a more permanent basis.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Finally

I received subs from Tom two months ago and finally got everything finished to the point where we could use the media room over the weekend. I've just spent WAY too much time on finish details that nobody else will notice or appreciate, so I had to step back and allow myself to have some fun and enjoy things. Some of those details can wait until a snowy Saturday.

Anyway, I ran the subs about where the sub crawl indicated they should go. Then I adjusted the volume by ear before running Audyssey. After that, I had to bump up the front sub's volume a little to get it more in line with the rear sub. It helped add some needed low end in the theater seats. Tweaking and a more detailed set up will come later...you know, snowy Saturdays. But, I must say, I'm super impressed with these V1811s. Fourplay's "Bali Run" and "Chant" never sounded so full at the bottom end, even at lower volumes.

We watched Star Wars Ep. IV and Mission Impossible (first one) and the family was loving every minute of it...and we haven't even watched a movie with a lot of deep bass yet. The wife wants to watch one of the Transformers movies this weekend. I guess I'll suffer through it. :D

I know it's a subwoofer thread, but I figured I'd share some photos of the media room portion of the basement finish. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I received subs from Tom two months ago and finally got everything finished to the point where we could use the media room over the weekend. I've just spent WAY too much time on finish details that nobody else will notice or appreciate, so I had to step back and allow myself to have some fun and enjoy things. Some of those details can wait until a snowy Saturday.

Anyway, I ran the subs about where the sub crawl indicated they should go. Then I adjusted the volume by ear before running Audyssey. After that, I had to bump up the front sub's volume a little to get it more in line with the rear sub. It helped add some needed low end in the theater seats. Tweaking and a more detailed set up will come later...you know, snowy Saturdays. But, I must say, I'm super impressed with these V1811s. Fourplay's "Bali Run" and "Chant" never sounded so full at the bottom end, even at lower volumes.

We watched Star Wars Ep. IV and Mission Impossible (first one) and the family was loving every minute of it...and we haven't even watched a movie with a lot of deep bass yet. The wife wants to watch one of the Transformers movies this weekend. I guess I'll suffer through it. :D

I know it's a subwoofer thread, but I figured I'd share some photos of the media room portion of the basement finish. Cheers!

Gorgeous room sir!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
539 Posts

Lovely setup :D

Reactions: Todd G.

·
Registered
50 Posts

room looks amazing! I'm looking to step up to 18's in the near future hopefully :D

·
Registered
196 Posts

I love how clean and balanced, even in colors, it comes across.

·
Registered
302 Posts

We watched Star Wars Ep. IV and Mission Impossible (first one) and the family was loving every minute of it...and we haven't even watched a movie with a lot of deep bass yet. The wife wants to watch one of the Transformers movies this weekend. I guess I'll suffer through it. /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Beautiful room, clean and neat... Enyoy!

·
Registered
12,770 Posts
Hey Tom, guys, whomever- noob question-

I have 2 S3000i, in what you can't even call a room- might as well be an open air 2 story lobby open to the rest of the house and loft, and nowhere close to square, no real walls except one that is only a fireplace.

Needless to say I went though a LOT of subs starting from a single POS that came bundled with a sound bar, to a single better but still small- then another one of those to a single S1500 to a single S3000 to my now pair of S3000 and I could use more IMO....

Anyway- I have a Denon w/ XT32 and also an anti-mode dual core.

Given my horrible room layout, I don't expect miracles- but was just wondering, is there any reason I should need to play with the delay setting or just let the software on both do whatever it does?

I'm leaving room size on big, and putting in as much house curve as I can with the settings. I also switched last night to main+subs for fun to see what happens and I think I hear an added fullness to the front stage, voices, etc- 210T L/R and 210C. I know normally that is not what you guys in normal size square rooms do- but I think my 'area' needs as much moving around as it can get as there aren't much reflections- and what there is - well, a giagantic wall of windows 20+ feet high.

Going to play with it again tonight if anyone has suggestions... 2 nights ago I set up a 'left' and 'right' surround speaker in my totally not left and right spots of my L shaped couch and love seat...my wife said- you can't keep these giant things here...but I did notice what I thought was a more immersive experience- first time ever having any sort of surround. I will probably try to find something really small to fill the role on a more permanent basis.
Agree with basshead on the dual EQ thing. Choose one or the other.

I have a fairly large space as well (~5K cu. ft.) and have found that the bass in my room works much better with higher crossovers. Turn off the Main+Subs and try setting a higher crossover (100hz, or even 120hz) and see what you think.

Also, I found that time-alignment between subs/mains/CC is critical. If you don't have measuring equipment, it can be hard to get it right.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hey guys, I finally got REW up and running and tested a few times to get an idea of what I was doing. Question though: right before you hit the button to test, theres an option to test the levels. I noticed the output level was quite a bit higher than what the mic was picking up. How important is that? If I turn it up I get pretty close, like -20 MV. Does this sound like a problem?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
A few updates:
So I have been pondering back and forth for a few years about moving my entire Home Theater from my downstairs, concrete floor to my upstairs. My upstairs room, even though its the first one you come into when you enter my home, has suspended floors (the best part) but is open to much of the rest of the house. I experimented with my old Sonos sub a few years back upstairs and really felt the bass MUCH more than downstairs on the concrete.

Fast forward to two days ago. I am already messed up from this time change and its 4 am so I decide to get up and quench this desire to move my speakers upstairs. Admittedly, the whole TR from suspended floor drove this move :) Additionally, in my old room, I literally had no option but to keep my right main speaker very close to the wall (they obviously need pulled out a bit) and my left speaker was 7 ft from its respective wall....def. a no no in the speaker world. My new situation allows for the perfect equilateral triangle with respect to seating distances, speaker distances, side wall reflections, etc.

REW shows a very nice response and surprisingly better then I thought on my first try. The new room JUST WORKS with bass. Being higher ceilings and open really allows for some of that lower bass to propagate. The dual s3601 really do a nice job upstairs even though the room is not sealed.

I am currently looking at GIK panels (the ones where you upload your own photos) but I would appreciate some advice of where to start (those are expensive af). I really dont wanna mess with making my own.

Here are some pics of the room unfinished (I need to move my atmos speakers and surrounds tonight but you'll get the idea).

Finally, I purchased a 75 QLED Samsung yesterday and was coming from a 1st gen 2014 4k TV. What an upgrade. I can't wait until I get home tonight and mount my surrounds/atmos and fire up a 4k DVD. The sound in my old room was much too big for the screen. I am also sitting much closer in this room to my 75 inch TV versus my other room where I was further away and only looking at a 50 in screen. Im in love!

Other than acoustic panels, I kind of feel like I am done for a bit (I know, I know...) I need to fill in the rabbit hole a bit.

Edit: I will not be looking at anymore sealed subs at this point as the room not only measures amazing, sounds great, but the symmetry is spot on.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
A few updates:
So I have been pondering back and forth for a few years about moving my entire Home Theater from my downstairs, concrete floor to my upstairs. My upstairs room, even though its the first one you come into when you enter my home, has suspended floors (the best part) but is open to much of the rest of the house. I experimented with my old Sonos sub a few years back upstairs and really felt the bass MUCH more than downstairs on the concrete.

Fast forward to two days ago. I am already messed up from this time change and its 4 am so I decide to get up and quench this desire to move my speakers upstairs. Admittedly, the whole TR from suspended floor drove this move :) Additionally, in my old room, I literally had no option but to keep my right main speaker very close to the wall (they obviously need pulled out a bit) and my left speaker was 7 ft from its respective wall....def. a no no in the speaker world. My new situation allows for the perfect equilateral triangle with respect to seating distances, speaker distances, side wall reflections, etc.

REW shows a very nice response and surprisingly better then I thought on my first try. The new room JUST WORKS with bass. Being higher ceilings and open really allows for some of that lower bass to propagate. The dual s3601 really do a nice job upstairs even though the room is not sealed.

I am currently looking at GIK panels (the ones where you upload your own photos) but I would appreciate some advice of where to start (those are expensive af). I really dont wanna mess with making my own.

Here are some pics of the room unfinished (I need to move my atmos speakers and surrounds tonight but you'll get the idea).

Finally, I purchased a 75 QLED Samsung yesterday and was coming from a 1st gen 2014 4k TV. What an upgrade. I can't wait until I get home tonight and mount my surrounds/atmos and fire up a 4k DVD. The sound in my old room was much too big for the screen. I am also sitting much closer in this room to my 75 inch TV versus my other room where I was further away and only looking at a 50 in screen. Im in love!

Other than acoustic panels, I kind of feel like I am done for a bit (I know, I know...) I need to fill in the rabbit hole a bit.

Edit: I will not be looking at anymore sealed subs at this point as the room not only measures amazing, sounds great, but the symmetry is spot on.

Dave

Next week you'll decide to move into a new house :smile:

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
A few updates:

Dave
You did all of that at 4 am?! Haha, you're nuts dude! That is awesome though!
Congrats on the new tv too, what a difference I bet that is!

·
AVS ***** Member
8,892 Posts
A few updates:

Dave

Hi Dave,

Congratulations, it sounds as if all this was a great change. :) I think the first thing you need to do with respect to acoustic panels is to define what you are actually trying to accomplish. Your front speakers appear to be far enough out from the side walls that I probably wouldn't try to treat first reflection points there. Doing so might reduce your soundstage width, anyway. You could consider putting panels on the front wall, behind your speakers, to reduce early reflections from the backs of the cabinets, although the front speakers are pulled pretty well away from the wall.

I don't know if there is a wall behind your listening position. (I gathered not from what you said about it being an open space.) If there is a wall directly behind your sofa, that would be a good candidate for a panel to prevent reflections from that location. That can be the worst offender, in my opinion. From a general acoustic standpoint, I would do the the following. If I were you, I would stand (or sit) somewhere in your listening area and clap my hands sharply. If the sound lingers at all, which is probable, that is called ringing, or slap-echo, and it will interfere with your audio clarity.

In that case, I would probably start with broadband (full frequency) bass traps in the two front corners. You want the deep wedge-shaped ones which fit all the way into the corner. That will mean pulling your subs forward a little, but that shouldn't be a problem. Broadband bass traps would be my recommendation in the absence of specific reflection points, such as a wall behind the sofa, or behind the front speakers.

You can add acoustic panels gradually, listening for a reduction in ringing as you go. Your audio clarity, from the mid-bass frequencies up (70 or 80Hz) should improve perceptibly, as you add broadband bass traps, and other thinner panels for higher frequencies. Those other panels could be anywhere. You are just trying to absorb some of the excess high-frequencies in the room. But, bass traps work best in corners, where low-frequencies (standing waves) tend to pool.

One suggestion I would make now is to pull your center channel forward so that it overhangs the shelf by about an inch, and tilt it up to ear level a little more. Clearing the front of the speaker from the shelf edge will help to eliminate comb-filtering from the shelf. (Higher frequencies will come out in a cone shape.) That should help with mid-range and up clarity. The other thing I might consider is to move your small tables out of a direct line between your speakers and your listening position. If they are more to the sides, they won't create first reflection points.

I hope this helps! 4:00AM HT changes--a man after my own heart! :)

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
A few updates:

Dave

Congrats David. Check out the link below.

https://www.atsacoustics.com/ATS-art-acoustic-panels.html

Reactions: vardo

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I was doing some research and this is what I am currently debating. The corner bass traps Obviously behind the subs and the other diffusion bass traps on the wall directly behind my speakers. I added a little bit of color to them to make the room pop. Additionally I found some panels that match that could go on my side walls to make the room look nice and have some color. I’m not really sure what to do about the back of the room just yet because there’s a closet there that we get in and out of so I really can’t put anything on it.

Anyways, I’m looking for some advice on these
three particular items.

I took what you said Mike and thought about it. The speakers are far enough from the wall where they may not need the early reflection treatments. Maybe just general room damping Which is what the four longer thinner panels would do.

The panels on the front wall are bass traps with diffusers and the ones on the side walls are 3.5 in general absorption panels.

I don’t want to deaden my room but there’s definitely some Echo when I clap.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I was doing some research and this is what I am currently debating. The corner bass traps Obviously behind the subs and the other diffusion bass traps on the wall directly behind my speakers. I added a little bit of color to them to make the room pop. Additionally I found some panels that match that could go on my side walls to make the room look nice and have some color. I’m not really sure what to do about the back of the room just yet because there’s a closet there that we get in and out of so I really can’t put anything on it.

Anyways, I’m looking for some advice on these three particular items.

I took what you said Mike and thought about it. The speakers are far enough from the wall where they may not need the early reflection treatments. Maybe just general room damping Which is what the four longer thinner panels would do.

The panels on the front wall are bass traps with diffusers and the ones on the side walls are 3.5 in general absorption panels.

I don’t want to deaden my room but there’s definitely some Echo when I clap.

For something you decided to do at 4AM, I wouldn't put a lot of money into it. Next week you might hate this idea and move everything back to the basement.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
For something you decided to do at 4AM, I wouldn't put a lot of money into it. Next week you might hate this idea and move everything back to the basement.
LOL, I have thought of this for a LONG time but I just decided to start doing it at 4 am as I couldn't sleep. Believe it or not, it was not a spontaneous move.

Dave

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
A few updates:

Dave

Lets see that REW graph!!!! Congrats on being closer to true happiness.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
@David Charles

Speaking of room treatments you don't want to just purchase panels without measurements. Since you already have REW you need to do the ETC graph of each speaker to see where the ringing is. This will allow you to see how reflective it is and where its coming from. But for bass traps, you can never have too much bass absorption. Look at your waterfall/decay/spectrogram to see where ringing is and that will show you what freq needs improvement more than others.

Reactions: Haiej
45781 - 45800 of 57919 Posts