AVS Forum banner

45821 - 45840 of 57912 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
These are in the exact same location as the prior sub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Imureh,

No, maybe my post was a bit misleading.

The S3601 is just an additional sub.

My frequency response would have improved regardless of which sub I placed in that location, but I was very impressed with how much it improved and how well the s3601 blends with my DIY subs

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Hi Imureh,

No, maybe my post was a bit misleading.

The S3601 is just an additional sub.

My frequency response would have improved regardless of which sub I placed in that location, but I was very impressed with how much it improved and how well the s3601 blends with my DIY subs

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Just curious why you didn't DIY the 3rd sub since you already have the experience?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just curious why you didn't DIY the 3rd sub since you already have the experience?
I have actually never had a non DIY sub (other than an old home theater in a box system I bought during high school while living with my parents). I jumped right from no theater immediately to building two DIY 18" sealed boxes, it went well!

I actually was going to do DIY to add more subs, I bought two 15" Ultimax drivers and got about 60% through the build. Long story short, I did not plan ahead well enough and the project dragged on for a while and I made a couple mistakes so I scrapped it and decided to live with my current DIYs (I stayed with current DIYs for about 6 more months before deciding to buy a pre-built sub).

As I am sure you are also curious about the DIY project I started, I was building a platform riser for my rear couch, as I recall it was about 15 cubic feet for each sub, would have been ported and tuned low etc. etc.

The weight/size started to get out of hand with 1.5" baffle etc. (which I should have known) and I made some mistakes when trying to trim all the edges etc. (should have started with router) and I know the project would not have been to the quality I had in my mind.

Anyway, spent a lot of time researching different ID companies and ended up settling on PSA and I am not disappointed! I paid more than I would have if I would have DIY'd, but it was much less headache!

Edit: The top of the platform was going to have solid 3/4" hardwood (I have lots extra from upstairs level reno we did) - see attached for rough excel diagram from early stage

Edit: bonus photo of my DIY subs after freshly painted. (the painting I cannot take credit for as I outsourced that part - could not have done a finish that well)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I got a new phone with an OK camera, so I skipped the DSLR. If phones keep improving like they have been, only real pros will even need a dedicated camera any more.

Anyway, here she is: The S1510 in American Cherry.

Look at those freakin' edges!

Hard to believe it's only a $250 upgrade over the standard sprayed finish.

The back is beautiful as well. I'd love to see PSA offer a kid/pet proofing mesh 'cage' that screws on with the outer four amp screws and covers all the controls while letting the wires exit on the bottom. I'd buy five of those.

Genuine 1980s vinyl-wrapped chipboard technology. It doesn't look very good next to the PSA.

I was very happy when I realized the S1510 was only a tiny bit larger than the existing sub. Big help with WAF, too.

Seriously, it's about an inch taller, and less than an inch deeper and wider than the Dayton Sub 1200.

Now my old rack and CC-290 are looking dingy. I wonder who makes a nice cherry rack to match the PSA, that fits a 45C? That can wait for next year though :)

It sounds great and looks good enough for now. I'm very happy with the sub, would highly recommend it for folks looking for something a solid step above the typical black mini-fridge ID subs.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Wow! That looks really really good!
I'm sure even better in person!
Ps that is a wonderful idea about the mesh, screw on kid and pet protector.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Well, a V1811 showed up in the outlet and my V1801 / V1500 combo is soon to become a V1801 / V1811 combo. Really didn't need more output, but love the idea of having an almost matching pair and you can never have too much headroom.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Morning gents! I been off the grid here for awhile, but it's football season and indoor activities are taking center stage again. So I'm 1 step away from getting an s3611 for the main room, and wondering how it compares the the V3611 I've been enjoying in man cave for the past year? Any input on the fundamental difference(s) if any, we might hear between the 2? I realize placement and room interaction is the real bottom line here, just considering product design and performance merits on their own.

TIA!

·
Registered
14,081 Posts
Just want to share my opinion between the S7201 and V3611. In my opinion it's not even close. Look at the compression sweeps between the 2. I would post the graphs but the website won't let me right now for some reason.

Anyhow, the V3611 starts showing slight compression below 20hz on the 105db sweep. So the system is altering the response fairly early so it can still mantain it's headroom up top because the system isn't really optimized for output below 20hz. On its 113db sweep it nets 109db @ 20hz. By 15hz it's down to 100db and by 10hz it's down to 87db.

Now let's look at the S7201. Not a hint of compression anywhere even on the 115db sweep. 20hz is showing 113db, 15hz is showing 107db, and 10hz is almost 103db.

It can play full bandwidth without altering the response. That is impressive if you understand how this stuff works. We often get caught up looking at Max burst numbers but they don't tell the entire story. Sure the V3611 and S7201 look close on the 16-25hz burst number, but the V3611 is dealing with vent compression at those max levels where the S7201 is playing compression free.

Now...How that translates to real world use is room and user dependent. If you are the type that plays a lot of sub 20hz material at reference level then the S7201 is going to win because there will not be any vent noise. However , With most normal material in most rooms, both subs have plenty of headroom to drive a room at loud playback levels

·
Registered
329 Posts
Morning gents! I been off the grid here for awhile, but it's football season and indoor activities are taking center stage again. So I'm 1 step away from getting an s3611 for the main room, and wondering how it compares the the V3611 I've been enjoying in man cave for the past year? Any input on the fundamental difference(s) if any, we might hear between the 2? I realize placement and room interaction is the real bottom line here, just considering product design and performance merits on their own.

TIA!
Hopefully @David Charles will chime in. He swapped his V3601 and V1801 for two S3611's. What are the dimensions of the room and its intended usage with regards to TV/Music/Movies? That'll help others give you a better response.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hopefully @David Charles will chime in. He swapped his V3601 and V1801 for two S3611's. What are the dimensions of the room and its intended usage with regards to TV/Music/Movies? That'll help others give you a better response.
My 2 s3601 crush my v3601s in almost every spot except maybe 22 hz to 30 hz... and even then its not that drastic. I like and prefer the s3601s BY FAR more than the vented. I never had the urge to pop my ears with the vented, but for some reason the sealed sound heavier. I attribute that to the fact that they have greater extension and the inaudible sounds add to the weight. I am +/- 3 db down to 10 hz in my current setup. With my v3601, I was +/- 3 db at 17-18 hz....which may not seem like much, but I can tell.

The TR of the sealed isnt quite the ported, but its cleaner, more accurate and flat out sound better (and measure better too).

No brainer for anyone other than a HUGE room but even then, I'd still go sealed and maybe add 1 more. The benefits of the sealed are worth adding 1 more sub. The v3601 struggles pretty much below 20 hz if you listen to that type of material a lot and listen at any reference(ish) volume.

The ultimate test and proof for me was when I got the sealed subs, I immediately watched several clips that I knew VERY WELL.... I listened to how my ears picked up the sounds, the sounds of the moans and groans of the room, how the couch felt, etc. With any expectation bias set aside as best as I could, I determine that the ULF is far stronger with the sealed subs. I lost 2 wine glasses that shattered from my upstairs room and that NEVER happened with the v3601 and v1801 and I often listened at 120 db. The issue is that they just couldnt pressurize that ULF like the s3601 could due to its shallower rolloff.

I realize that my 2 subs are not jackhammers like some peoples set ups, but they sound great in my room.

My 2c

·
Registered
196 Posts
The S7201 kind of needs to be as deep as it is due to the design:

Credit to climber07 for that image I believe.
The S7201 does, but I am talking about a new ported dual 18' tuned to 10 or lower. :D

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
Just want to share my opinion between the S7201 and V3611. In my opinion it's not even close. Look at the compression sweeps between the 2. I would post the graphs but the website won't let me right now for some reason.

Anyhow, the V3611 starts showing slight compression below 20hz on the 105db sweep. So the system is altering the response fairly early so it can still mantain it's headroom up top because the system isn't really optimized for output below 20hz. On its 113db sweep it nets 109db @ 20hz. By 15hz it's down to 100db and by 10hz it's down to 87db.

Now let's look at the S7201. Not a hint of compression anywhere even on the 115db sweep. 20hz is showing 113db, 15hz is showing 107db, and 10hz is almost 103db.

It can play full bandwidth without altering the response. That is impressive if you understand how this stuff works. We often get caught up looking at Max burst numbers but they don't tell the entire story. Sure the V3611 and S7201 look close on the 16-25hz burst number, but the V3611 is dealing with vent compression at those max levels where the S7201 is playing compression free.

Now...How that translates to real world use is room and user dependent. If you are the type that plays a lot of sub 20hz material at reference level then the S7201 is going to win because there will not be any vent noise. However , With most normal material in most rooms, both subs have plenty of headroom to drive a room at loud playback levels
Good points Basshead. But with the S7201 being almost twice the cost you could buy dual V3611's offsetting that compression issue due to the extra headroom plus you'd have the added benefit of dual subs for better room response. Of course you won't get the extension of the S7201 but if you have a decent room you should be able to get extension in the mid teens. With the multi sub discount dual V3611's would cost about the same as single S7201.

Of course if money and size were not an issue then the obvious choice would be dual S7201. If a person's sub journey isn't over with dual S7201 then they really need sub addiction counseling.

·
Registered
14,081 Posts
Good points Basshead. But with the S7201 being almost twice the cost you could buy dual V3611's offsetting that compression issue due to the extra headroom plus you'd have the added benefit of dual subs for better room response. Of course you won't get the extension of the S7201 but if you have a decent room you should be able to get extension in the mid teens. With the multi sub discount dual V3611's would cost about the same as single S7201.

Of course if money and size were not an issue then the obvious choice would be dual S7201. If a person's sub journey isn't over with dual S7201 then they really need sub addiction counseling.
Agree 100%. Dual V3611 vs a Single S7201 makes things more interesting for sure. Below 15hz I believe the S7201 still has a sizeable output advantage but above that they are close...also easier to place and potentially a better in room response. That is the issue for me with the S7201 or even the Cap4000...too damn big. PSA needs a low tuned ported sub that is moderately sized.

·
Registered
109 Posts
What are the dimensions of the room and its intended usage with regards to TV/Music/Movies?
It's a multi-use system in the large, open-plan living room of a 2,800sq. ft. ranch style house. My youngest daughter killed the the Sunfire 10"-erwe had in there with a house party last summer. At least I think that's the last time I remember hearing it play.

·
Registered
7,370 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
...but even then, I'd still go sealed and maybe add 1 more. The benefits of the sealed are worth adding 1 more sub.
You just found the rationale I was searching for! The room arrangement would allow for another unit if desired, so can't really go wrong with that approach, methinks.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I’ve got a local craigslist guy selling a V3600I for $1,500. Mint condition. It has 3 years left on the warranty. Just wanted to get your guys thoughts on this older model. I wouldn’t want to pay that amount if it’s worth paying more for the newer model. All this sealed talk again has a guy second guessing himself 🤔

Just seeing the ad got me all excited as if I already bought it but seems dual v1811 or 15v is more in my future, I couldn’t not ask you fellas once I saw the posting.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I’ve got a local craigslist guy selling a V3600I for $1,500. Mint condition. It has 3 years left on the warranty. Just wanted to get your guys thoughts on this older model. I wouldn’t want to pay that amount if it’s worth paying more for the newer model. All this sealed talk again has a guy second guessing himself

Just seeing the ad got me all excited as if I already bought it but seems dual v1811 or 15v is more in my future, I couldn’t not ask you fellas once I saw the posting.

Skip on it. The v3601 is way better below 20 hz. Your 3/4 of the way to s3611 as well ;) jmo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45821 - 45840 of 57912 Posts