AVS Forum banner

45981 - 46000 of 57912 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Hey!
I haven’t pushed my subs in a while! Just wanted to post an update....mainly I’m treating the entire room that my system is in. It’s going to be a two month process but by February I hope to have all that done. I already have half the order in so I’m excited to see how it all turns out, I’m going with wine and black as my main colors.

Anyways, here’s a video of the sealed PSA subs in action.

https://youtu.be/SiSBOOI7tIg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great video Dave! That song is just bananas on these subs.
Quote of the video, "the subs sound awesome but the room sounds like ****" lol
I hear you on that one

·
Registered
500 Posts
How much sub do I need for a music only system? I like Barbra Streisand, Bob Dylan, Donna Summer, Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra, Otis Redding, Brewer and Shipley, blues, country. I don't think there are heavy bass demands in this music. I don't listen to bass a la @David Charles . Also no organ music.

In a large room, 24ft x 40ft open on both ends can I get away with an S1510DF? and then add another one if that is not enough? I would use it with a pair of MT-110s which are spec'd down to 70 Hz. I am leaning towards sealed as I don't have any of those yet. I have ported subs in my home theater set up. The dual driver S3010 might be nice but the dimensions are a little bigger than I want. If I have to go that way I will but this seems like a set up that doesn't require a lot of low base.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
The weight of the subs on movies just seem so much more than my ported subs. It’s crazy. It was that way even before I moved to the suspended for

Do you still feel that the tactile response was more prominent with the ported subs you had? What do you mean by the sealed having more "weight?"

·
Registered
14,081 Posts
How much sub do I need for a music only system? I like Barbra Streisand, Bob Dylan, Donna Summer, Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra, Otis Redding, Brewer and Shipley, blues, country. I don't think there are heavy bass demands in this music. I don't listen to bass a la @David Charles @davidcharles David Charles David Charles David-Charles. Also no organ music.

In a large room, 24ft x 40ft open on both ends can I get away with an S1510DF? and then add another one if that is not enough? I would use it with a pair of MT-110s which are spec'd down to 70 Hz. I am leaning towards sealed as I don't have any of those yet. I have ported subs in my home theater set up. The dual driver S3010 might be nice but the dimensions are a little bigger than I want. If I have to go that way I will but this seems like a set up that doesn't require a lot of low base.
easy....S1811.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
The weight of the subs on movies just seem so much more than my ported subs. It’s crazy. It was that way even before I moved to the suspended for

Agree 100%. These puppies have a certain weight that you describe that I didn't previously have with my four ported 15's.
As far as tactile response when I played that EOT intro at -6 it just about blew my pants off lol
I love these subs

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
Do you still feel that the tactile response was more prominent with the ported subs you had? What do you mean by the sealed having more "weight?"
Actually, it's when you have enough output from 10~17Hz (doesn't matter from sealed or ported), it sounds more weighted. If you are seated at the MLP, bass from 10~17Hz will shake the floor beneath you.

Tactile response has a lot to do with the floor material. Therefore, on a concrete slab, the ported still rules. On a suspended floor, one might be able to get enough TR from powerful sealed subs. Powerful ported on suspended floor is just brutal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Actually, it's when you have enough output from 10~17Hz (doesn't matter from sealed or ported), it sounds more weighted. If you are seated at the MLP, bass from 10~17Hz will shake the floor beneath you.

Tactile response has a lot to do with the floor material. Therefore, on a concrete slab, the ported still rules. On a suspended floor, one might be able to get enough TR from powerful sealed subs. Powerful ported on suspended floor is just brutal.
Its videos like David Charles's that are making me want to try sealed lol, I have dual v1500's (currently selling) but been itching to upgrade to 18's. I was leaning toward the v3611 but i keep seeing videos of the s36xx models and they have been making me want to maybe try the sealed :) we shall see!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Its videos like David Charles's that are making me want to try sealed lol, I have dual v1500's (currently selling) but been itching to upgrade to 18's. I was leaning toward the v3611 but i keep seeing videos of the s36xx models and they have been making me want to maybe try the sealed :) we shall see!
Try it, switch to the dark side.

·
Registered
539 Posts

Don't do it if you only watch movies :eek:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
On a suspended floor, I disagree. I would think that on a concrete floor this may be true. I can say this after a month or so now of having the sealed subs. I like them far more for movies (more weight) but that may be the suspended floor but I also have them in a much larger room. I feel frequencies far differently with sealed. For a specific example, I was watching the cannon sound scene in IH 2008 and I heard tones and felt stuff far more than my v3601 was able to provide. I listened over and over and I am confident that it is the subs. I noticed this before I switched rooms but now that I am on suspended floor, its even MOAR NOTICEABLE!!

Interesting side conversation that has been brought up before... what is more noticeable.. small, sealed room and concrete floors vs suspened floor with a non-sealed room.

In my experiences, its not even close.. get to suspended floors if you can :) I know, you can add transducers to fix the issue on concrete.

Dave

·
Registered
50 Posts
On a suspended floor, I disagree. I would think that on a concrete floor this may be true. I can say this after a month or so now of having the sealed subs. I like them far more for movies (more weight) but that may be the suspended floor but I also have them in a much larger room. I feel frequencies far differently with sealed. For a specific example, I was watching the cannon sound scene in IH 2008 and I heard tones and felt stuff far more than my v3601 was able to provide. I listened over and over and I am confident that it is the subs. I noticed this before I switched rooms but now that I am on suspended floor, its even MOAR NOTICEABLE!!

Interesting side conversation that has been brought up before... what is more noticeable.. small, sealed room and concrete floors vs suspened floor with a non-sealed room.

In my experiences, its not even close.. get to suspended floors if you can :) I know, you can add transducers to fix the issue on concrete.

Dave
this would definitely be used for mainly movies, and our media room is upstairs, so no concrete up there :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
this would definitely be used for mainly movies, and our media room is upstairs, so no concrete up there :)

I would go sealed unless you’re going to get one of those really low tuned ported subs. The lower port tune adds more weight vs a sub tuned around 20 ish hz. Let’s face it, the lowest bass is the most fun in theaters and gives the most sense of impending doom ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
How much sub do I need for a music only system? I like Barbra Streisand, Bob Dylan, Donna Summer, Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra, Otis Redding, Brewer and Shipley, blues, country. I don't think there are heavy bass demands in this music. I don't listen to bass a la @David Charles . Also no organ music.

Whereabouts are you in California? I am selling a S3000i in great condition for about the price of a 15" sealed...I live in the Inland Empire , San Bernadino area...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love the S36's for everything!Even being in a somewhat large open room on concrete , they were absolutely what I was looking for! Granted I have a bit more firepower that makes up for the lack of a port , but as others have said above , the weight they add to the room is what I wanted. I had 2 V36's on order to upgrade from 2 V1801's and really thought that it wasnt more Db output I wanted , but deeper extension. As chucky mentioned , the 10-17hz range adds that weight ported or not , and that isnt exactly the V18's sweetspot due to its compact size. The pressure is similar to swimming in a deep pool , which can also be a drawback if you have sensitive ears. I will get somewhat of a pressure headache when listening to sub 20hz for an extended period. My aunt came over and her ears immediately started hurting just listening to somewhat deep bass off a Lo-fi jazz station. This is a lady who has lived a stones throw from busy railroad tracks her whole life and the volume was merely just background noise while we were chatting. It was a bit impressive lol.....

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I would go sealed unless you’re going to get one of those really low tuned ported subs. The lower port tune adds more weight vs a sub tuned around 20 ish hz. Let’s face it, the lowest bass is the most fun in theaters and gives the most sense of impending doom ;)
that large & low tuned life :D

·
Registered
500 Posts
Whereabouts are you in California? I am selling a S3000i in great condition for about the price of a 15" sealed...I live in the Inland Empire , San Bernadino area...
North county San Diego. Probably a little too big for where I want to put it. That's the problem with the S1811 that @basshead81 recommended too:frown: This music only set up has an aesthetics first priority. The S1510 has the *look* that will work for me because of the square smaller shape that can double as a pedestal. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
North county San Diego. Probably a little too big for where I want to put it. That's the problem with the S1811 that @basshead81 recommended too:frown: This music only set up has an aesthetics first priority. The S1510 has the *look* that will work for me because of the square smaller shape that can double as a pedestal. Thanks
Are you trying to not have a sub facing forward? The S3000i is dual opposed , so the front portion would look a bit like a pedestal with the subs on the left/right....Size wise , it is fairly compact next to the S3601 that is on the right side ... compared to the S15df its 7 inches wider to allow for the extra sub and 3 inches taller...either way , I am about to send this sub back to Tom , just thought someone local would like a crack at it!

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Are you trying to not have a sub facing forward? The S3000i is dual opposed , so the front portion would look a bit like a pedestal with the subs on the left/right....Size wise , it is fairly compact next to the S3601 that is on the right side ... compared to the S15df its 7 inches wider to allow for the extra sub and 3 inches taller...either way , I am about to send this sub back to Tom , just thought someone local would like a crack at it!

Actually 18 inches in both directions works well. Not enough room left to right for 24 inches and 24 inches outward would interfere with traffic flow at the top of the stairs. The pedestal in the picture holding the bear is nineteen inches wide. This set up won't be used very often and I don't want to comprise the location by moving some of the other stuff around. My preference in this situation is to compromise the bass.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Actually 18 inches in both directions works well. Not enough room left to right for 24 inches and 24 inches outward would interfere with traffic flow at the top of the stairs. The pedestal in the picture holding the bear is nineteen inches wide. This set up won't be used very often and I don't want to comprise the location by moving some of the other stuff around. My preference in this situation is to compromise the bass.
Is that an old school Bose 901.

45981 - 46000 of 57912 Posts