AVS Forum banner

46361 - 46380 of 57919 Posts

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Guys I just like posting interesting (at least to me) other people's thoughts about anything audio, not agreeing or disagreeing with any or all of it, for me it prompts discussion and gets other folks to chime in on their thoughts of the topic increasing the audio awareness of both myself and friends here......Happy New Year Guys..........

Thanks Mike, Ray and Scottie for the responses, mission accomplished....................:)

Cheers Jeffrey

·
Registered
197 Posts
So many subs, so little time.......

I have not put in an order yet as Im still deliberating.
On my list of decision was to rebuild my MK's as the diminutive 15x15x15 size and matching veneer to the room matters.
This lead me to "Rythmik" subs which is yet another consumer direct offering that has a good following. Seems their reputation is of the sealed variety being very musical and detailed.
In their AVS forum they have enthusiasts similar to the variety found on these pages.
I respect many of the opinions here and was wondering what are the opinions of their offerings if any you have experience with them.
Rythmik offers to sell just their Speakers and Amps in "Custom" installations to those who want to build their own enclosures. This and a matte black, black wood looking vinyl and a Piano black gloss finish. They have 12 inch and servo amp that would fit my MK enclosure.

With little few PSA reviews for the S3010 I came across in searching the double 15 inch Rythmik offering sub G25 similar to the PSA S3010. The AVS review is here:
https://www.avsforum.com/rythmik-g25hp-dual-opposed-15-sealed-subwoofer-review/

In my view the PSA is a great value for the money.

As a side note the Anti Mode I bought seems to do wonders for my room. I am experimenting with stacking my two woofers in the corner and recalibrating to see if my room could accept one sub instead of two. When I take each sub instead of them being forward I turn them sideways like the S3010 and recalibrate there is little problems in the room now and my chair sounds wonderful. Seems to make everything tighter and less "Boomy" in the few spots.
Im leaning toward just one monster sub now as I am confident I won' have problems. Im trying to simplify things in some measure.
With either choice I really don't want to return any of these monsters! The Rythmik offering says the shipping weight is 182lbs without its pallet. I know there exists box and other weight but this thing has to be 160lbs. Thats funny as shyt!

·
Registered
127 Posts
@imureh @butie120 @David Charles @lizrussspike @indebtbassfreak @mdameron

I just wanted to thank all of you for your help you gave me last May when I had some questions about my 15v.

This is a follow up post to let you know that my theater turned out awesome and it's thanks to the suggestions each of you gave me. My 15v absolutely pounds in my room (I'm not sure how some of you guys have multiple bigger subs and can get Waf) and the whole family just loves watching movies.

I ended up putting the 15v behind me in the corner of the room with floor to ceiling bass traps in the other corners and a large monster trap on the back wall, with the lpf lfe set at 80hz and it's working great. Very little localization issues. I haven't even turned it up past -10 yet cause I am worried for my house.

Can't thank you all enough for the help!!

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
@imureh @butie120 @David Charles @lizrussspike @indebtbassfreak @mdameron

I just wanted to thank all of you for your help you gave me last May when I had some questions about my 15v.

This is a follow up post to let you know that my theater turned out awesome and it's thanks to the suggestions each of you gave me. My 15v absolutely pounds in my room (I'm not sure how some of you guys have multiple bigger subs and can get Waf) and the whole family just loves watching movies.

I ended up putting the 15v behind me in the corner of the room with floor to ceiling bass traps in the other corners and a large monster trap on the back wall, with the lpf lfe set at 80hz and it's working great. Very little localization issues. I haven't even turned it up past -10 yet cause I am worried for my house.

Can't thank you all enough for the help!!

Always good to see one of these posts! I am glad things have turned out to your liking. That is ultimate goal isn’t it till the upgrade itch starts. One advice would be quit visiting the forum now otherwise the upgrade will happen sooner than u think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Couldn't have put it better than imureh's last post,,,,, always love to see these results which are (for me, the most rewarding). Giddy Up!!!!

Reactions: jgourlie and imureh

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
My wife and I are shopping for a new home this year, and of course a dedicated theater is at the top of my list. We viewed one house recently that boasted of a premium theater room, and after looking at it, I realized how lucky most people here are to own and appreciate such nice audio equipment. The room was indeed nice with two rows of 3 theater chairs, a built in riser, and a solid layout with a lot of potential. This theater's speaker setup consisted of 5 tiny Bose 2" modules that jutted out from the wall on brackets and an 8" sub, so I naturally had to cup one of the surrounds in the palm of my hand with a goofy look on my face and asked my wife what she thought...she asked me if it was a speaker. :D

I'm really hoping I don't have to downgrade my audio that much to fit in whatever room I get.

Here's to 2019! Have a great year PSA peoples.

Reactions: Haiej and ahblaza

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Great news @jgourlie! Enjoy that system and keep up posted on further findings and changes you make. Another great thing about this forum, is that I learn something new all the time!

·
Registered
18 Posts
My wife and I are shopping for a new home this year, and of course a dedicated theater is at the top of my list. We viewed one house recently that boasted of a premium theater room, and after looking at it, I realized how lucky most people here are to own and appreciate such nice audio equipment. The room was indeed nice with two rows of 3 theater chairs, a built in riser, and a solid layout with a lot of potential. This theater's speaker setup consisted of 5 tiny Bose 2" modules that jutted out from the wall on brackets and an 8" sub, so I naturally had to cup one of the surrounds in the palm of my hand with a goofy look on my face and asked my wife what she thought...she asked me if it was a speaker. :D

I'm really hoping I don't have to downgrade my audio that much to fit in whatever room I get.

Here's to 2019! Have a great year PSA peoples.
Thats funny. After visiting my aunts house for the holidays , her husband has the full BOSE cube system. Theres like 10 of these little things all around the room and the sub up front might be that 8"r you are talking about. He prefers to watch movies while everyone else plays cards and mingles , and he is a big Hulk , Iron man type fan so he is usually playing one of those flicks. I was really surprised to hear some bloated type bass that had a little presence to it and decent surrounds. I think he purposely plays it loud in the house to try and show off or drown out our noise. Probably a bit of both , but it didnt sound too bad until I got home and fired up the S36's :eek::D:D....Cant wait until they have to come over our house later this month and crank it back up and him....:D:D;)

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Thats funny. After visiting my aunts house for the holidays , her husband has the full BOSE cube system. Theres like 10 of these little things all around the room and the sub up front might be that 8"r you are talking about.

IMO, at normal volumes there’s a tremendous amount of speakers that sound great to most people, but it’s at theater levels where the short comings reveal themselves. I’ve had two cars with Bose systems and they certainly don’t sound bad at all for casual listening, but they are definitely not going to replace my PSA’s in the theater any time soon.

I’m sure plenty of people do genuinely like the Bose sound; one of my best friend’s room has the little Klipsch promedia cubes that are similar to Bose modules mounted up high all around his 10’ ceilings and a maybe a 6” Klipsch sub, and he’s pleased as punch. This same friend is building a very nice but small dedicated media room in a new home and recently asked me for advice, needless to say my tastes are well beyond what he considers necessary.

For the money, a Bose system would be the last choice I’d ever recommend, but they certainly have their market.

Reactions: Haiej

·
Registered
197 Posts
Good comments about bose. Many become audiophile snobs about their equipment but the fact is for what they are and the simplicity of them they really do a remarkable job. I have some friends with Sono's sound bars and they are really nice. Good background music in social situations for music or tv. People then own them are also happier than most audiophiles and not yelling at spouses about "your doing it wrong!" and fiddling about with knobs, "setting" bass traps (like mice?) and unbalanced inputs! They are not crawling on the floor nor walking around with a sound meter. They are not watching the same movie 100 times noticing "new" nuances or attempting to boost testosterone by thumping the house. They are just happy to have better than TV sound and simplify the experience.

I am not one of those people!!!

·
Registered
8,546 Posts
IMO, at normal volumes there’s a tremendous amount of speakers that sound great to most people, but it’s at theater levels where the short comings reveal themselves. I’ve had two cars with Bose systems and they certainly don’t sound bad at all for casual listening, but they are definitely not going to replace my PSA’s in the theater any time soon.

I’m sure plenty of people do genuinely like the Bose sound; one of my best friend’s room has the little Klipsch promedia cubes that are similar to Bose modules mounted up high all around his 10’ ceilings and a maybe a 6” Klipsch sub, and he’s pleased as punch. This same friend is building a very nice but small dedicated media room in a new home and recently asked me for advice, needless to say my tastes are well beyond what he considers necessary.

For the money, a Bose system would be the last choice I’d ever recommend, but they certainly have their market.
Interesting read

https://www.audioholics.com/editorials/bose-conundrum

·
Registered
307 Posts
Good comments about bose. Many become audiophile snobs about their equipment but the fact is for what they are and the simplicity of them they really do a remarkable job. I have some friends with Sono's sound bars and they are really nice. Good background music in social situations for music or tv. People then own them are also happier than most audiophiles and not yelling at spouses about "your doing it wrong!" and fiddling about with knobs, "setting" bass traps (like mice?) and unbalanced inputs! They are not crawling on the floor nor walking around with a sound meter. They are not watching the same movie 100 times noticing "new" nuances or attempting to boost testosterone by thumping the house. They are just happy to have better than TV sound and simplify the experience.

I am not one of those people!!!
Thanks for saying this. Every time I see the Bose bashing, I get scared to say...But/But/But...I love my Bluetooth Bose SoundLink! Really...it sounds sweet! Now, not to say I am trading in my AV system for Bose!

Reactions: basshead81 and femi

·
Registered
197 Posts
Great article. Reminds me of all the Bose products I have or have had.
My parents paid $3500 for a fancy top of the line system 20 years ago and really it was brilliant. It sounded nice and more important they knew how to use it. Few years ago they moved and gave it to me. Discarded the CD player and used the preamp module and blended it to my hard wired feeds from my music server for one of the bedrooms. Properly placed it was quite nice.
Over the years I have some desktop computer speakers that are also brilliant design. Not cheap, but they work great! The guys in my office thought I was nuts having $300 speakers but I could close my door and be happy either listening to music or have good sound via a conference call or video.
My travel sound canceling headphones are great and on my outdoor room has 2 pairs of their big 251 outdoor speakers that are terrific for what they do. Now 12 years old they still sound and look great!
In my mind they Make great consumer products that deliver at a premium price!
Not audiophile but competent sound field environment products. It’s where the majority of listeners went.
My dad just passed away at 91 recently but he still had a Bose radio next to his bed. Had to be 25 years old!
Those Bose Tv’s they sold 10 years ago were over priced but I wanted to find a used one on the cheap for the guest room. The really did sound great.
In the car audio space so many are confused with seemless integration to create an environment in the most hostile places to create one vs. “quality compenents”. I suppose the way I listen to music has changed greatly since I was a teen and thus wont spent days on end fussing with car audio. In fact, I won’t at all anymore! I listen to news mostly!!
The Bose in the bedroom died and I replaced it with a Martin Logan Cresendo table unit and its a pain in the ass. Not saying I should have gotten a Bose, but........
In part I choose PSA over Rythmik because it had less dials to fuss with. What good is all of this if I can’t integrate it properly? With Antimode and some tweets I’ll be golden in about an hour. Sure I’ll tweek, refine and rewire from time to time but I won’t make graphs and I don’t want to learn a new language. Specs are imprortant but fact is I can’t reconcile a spec unless I can hear it and compare. Listening rooms don’t really exist anymore so we have to rely on other things now.
I don’t begrudge those “over the top” because its really quite fun and a hobby for many. I dabble a bit there but over time I do less and less of it. At the same time I long ago stopped bashing Bose as I began to understand not everyone shares the same passions. I have friends that spend thousands on modifying their cars that I deem excessive but its their passion. Some watch awful action movies over and over and get great joy in compression and air movement. Many people read books listening to nice music on a Bose. LIve and be well!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Subwoofer Advice needed :
Dimensions: LxWxH:
L: 20.6' X W: 10.3'(*10.8' with offset ) X H: 8
(Total 18 Cubic feet of space )
Seating: 3 Rows of 3 Seats.
It's a Sealed H.T Room.
I prefer going with DUAL sealed Subwoofers because of the size of my room.
After some research, I narrowed down to a few models.
PSA S1510 (Dual)
HSU ULS-15 MK2 (Dual)
PSA S1811 (Dual) If I can fit
SVS SB 3000 or 4000. (Dual)

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
It's a Sealed H.T Room.
PSA S1510 (Dual)
HSU ULS-15 MK2 (Dual)
SVS PB 3000 or 4000.
Why the ported subs at the end from SVS when all others are sealed? From that list Dual S1811. You should also look at Rythmik F18.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
It's a Sealed H.T Room.
PSA S1510 (Dual)
HSU ULS-15 MK2 (Dual)
SVS PB 3000 or 4000.
I think dual S1510s or S1811s would be great in your room. I haven't heard the HSUs, but from what I have read, they are praised as a great value as well. I would take the SVS out of the running, seeing as though it is the only non-dual option you gave. I previously owned dual S1500s and I absolutely loved them. I had them in an open room, more or less the same size as yours and they were great. I recently upgraded to dual S3000s and couldn't be happier.

46361 - 46380 of 57919 Posts