AVS Forum banner

46761 - 46780 of 57960 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
can someone please tell me how i can work this out?
example how do you work out what 4 x 5inch drivers equal to in a single driver. :confused:

[QUOTEA 21 inch is usually in the 1600(sd) range which is impressive of course. But you can also look at that and go "well, that's dual 15 inch, three 12 inch, or even four 10 inch drivers too(more or less).[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
111 Posts
getting excited guys, my 2nd 3600i should be here next week :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Unfortunately my theater room is only 16 feet deep and I have a 120" screen so I do not have enough space for the back row to come up that much.

I have thought about a bass trap in a few corners but have not installed them yet. One good thing about my room is that it is a non-standard shape with a partially angled ceiling and the wall with the doorway is angled as well. From what I have read I think that may be better than a standard rectangular room.

You don't think two s3010s on the front stage will localize the bass at the front of the room? It's gonna be a tight fit but I think I could do it.

I just re-measured and it looks like could also fit a 30" tall sub up front so the JTR Captivator 118HT could also be a possibility. I could also lay a up to a 36" tall sub on it's side up front but there would only be room for one.
i don't know the dimensions of your room, i might have missed that, but if you can fit 2 x 3010 in there they will rock. ive got a single 3600i (2nd on its way) and its amazing, i personally think its alot better than the ported subs i was using.
Having the subs up front (if correctly setup) you shouldn't have any localising issues because that is where your main speakers are so your brain will just trick you into thinking its just your speakers playing.

if you don't already have it, get yourself a umik-1 mic and a minidsp and start using REW. I would recommend correctly setting up your current sub extracting every bit of performance before deciding whether or not your current sub is not for you. use the Minidsp to EQ a House Curve and set correct phase alignment before you go spending a couple thousand on new subs.

Reactions: SuperFist

·
Registered
66 Posts
can someone please tell me how i can work this out?
example how do you work out what 4 x 5inch drivers equal to in a single driver. :confused:
Tom is strong in the ways of the (bass) force, so when he's quoting sd (area of the driver diaphragm - Thiele/Small parameters) from memory, it's because he's seen hundreds of driver spec sheets, but we can accomplish something similar with math.

Area of a circle = pi(radius)^2

Area of a 5" circle = 3.14 x 2.5^2 = 19.625

5" = 19.63 (4 of these have an area of 78.68 sq inches)
6" = 28.27
7" = 38.48
8" = 50.27
9" = 63.62
10" = 78.54 (this is a pretty close match)​

In Tom's example...

1 @ 21" = 346 sq inches
2 @ 15" = 2 x 177 = 354
3 @ 12" = 3 x 113 = 339
4 @ 10" = 4 x 79 = 316​

Speaker cones aren't 2 dimensional circles, but this is close enough.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Like jamiebosco said, you need to put that on bitstreaming for it to work.

I know this thoroughly because of all my audio setup woes in the early days of the PS3 and subsequently the PS4 and the Xbox One.

yeah I'm thinking this should work, I'm sure with my shield if I don't set the Audio to "Pass-through" I can only get "multi channel audio" on my AVR (as the Shield is doing the decoding, and when set to "pass-through" my AVR can upmix 2 channel sources using PLii/DTS Neo6 etc

Reactions: newc33

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
SACD were supposed to take place of CDs. They look the same. Most SACDs have multiple layers. That is, they will play like a normal stereo CD in a CD player, and will able to play the multichannel layer, if they have one, in an SACD player. The case will say it's an SACD, and most likely the SACD itself will have markings indicating it's an SACD.
Just the fact that you say you get a multichannel track from your PS3, but nothing else, makes it sound like you're talking about SACDs, because very few players play SACDs, and old PS3s are one thing that does.
There is no such thing as a multi channel CD, except DTSCD, that won't even play in a regular CD player, but will play in a DVD player that also plays CDs.
Unless I'm misunderstanding you altogether, which is quite possible.:)
It sound like you are understanding me fine for the most but no SACDs just standard

For some reason i thought there were a few (very few) music cds that were actually made in a native 5.1 mix? Sorry if i was incorrect about that or added any more confusion

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Okay so i did some playin around with the x box and i did set it to bitstream but then they ask for a bitstream format "dts digital surround" "dolby digital" or dolby atmos....

Either way so far i have tried them all and i get the same results except for atmos which just makes my speakers go crazy with all kinds of weird "alien" noises lol.

Even if i go back to 7.1 uncompressed i still get the same thing

The weird part is that i realize there is 1 and only 1 "fake" surround mode and that will work with any setting i try and thats "matrix" why dont any others work? If i were to swap to ps3 all would work fine andni can pick from several different "fake"surround modes

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
i don't know the dimensions of your room, i might have missed that, but if you can fit 2 x 3010 in there they will rock. ive got a single 3600i (2nd on its way) and its amazing, i personally think its alot better than the ported subs i was using.
Having the subs up front (if correctly setup) you shouldn't have any localising issues because that is where your main speakers are so your brain will just trick you into thinking its just your speakers playing.

if you don't already have it, get yourself a umik-1 mic and a minidsp and start using REW. I would recommend correctly setting up your current sub extracting every bit of performance before deciding whether or not your current sub is not for you. use the Minidsp to EQ a House Curve and set correct phase alignment before you go spending a couple thousand on new subs.
Thanks for the advice, I am just a hair away from pulling the trigger on two S3010s and trading in my V1500 with all of the helpful comments I have received here. For reference my room size is considered on the low side of medium at 16x12.5x10 or 2000ft^3.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Tom is strong in the ways of the (bass) force, so when he's quoting sd (area of the driver diaphragm - Thiele/Small parameters) from memory, it's because he's seen hundreds of driver spec sheets, but we can accomplish something similar with math.

Area of a circle = pi(radius)^2

Area of a 5" circle = 3.14 x 2.5^2 = 19.625

5" = 19.63 (4 of these have an area of 78.68 sq inches)
6" = 28.27
7" = 38.48
8" = 50.27
9" = 63.62
10" = 78.54 (this is a pretty close match)​

In Tom's example...

1 @ 21" = 346 sq inches
2 @ 15" = 2 x 177 = 354
3 @ 12" = 3 x 113 = 339
4 @ 10" = 4 x 79 = 316​

Speaker cones aren't 2 dimensional circles, but this is close enough.
You are a deadset legend mate, thanks heaps champ :D

Reactions: Flyzipper

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I am just a hair away from pulling the trigger on two S3010s and trading in my V1500 with all of the helpful comments I have received here. For reference my room size is considered on the low side of medium at 16x12.5x10 or 2000ft^3.
very similar size room to me now, going form the top of my head i am in a room that's 6m x 3.3 x 2.4m, the single sub rocks, can't wait for the 2nd :D

Reactions: CallingMrBenzo

·
Registered
200 Posts
I can tell you as somebody who has had ported PSA subs for the last two years.. v1801 and v3601, and now 2 s3611s, The sealed impress more overall across the whole spectrum and have substantially more uLF bass. Neither sub will tap out on movies under most circumstances, but you will miss some energy on full bandwidth movies. Thr sealed, without a doubt, have more weight to the sound. The psa ported subs are great and you can beat their ass with all types of material and they keep taking it, but their not designed for really deep ULF that a low port tuned sub gives OR sealed, which Tom is referencing.

I’d go sealed, s1501 x 3-4 or 2 s3010, and you’ll be pleased. Super musical too and it, to me, was better for music than the ported ones were.

This is a to each their own hobby :)

Dave

Edit: IMO psa sealed subs are the gems of the lineup. The s3010 is, arguably the best sub in the lineup all things considered. Many many have also echoed this. I’d look HARD at this sub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback Dave! With you having had both sealed and ported from PSA your advice carries a lot of weight for me.

I also realized after chatting with Tom yesterday that I would be able to fit one S3010 on my back corner riser and near field listening position since it is 18" in diameter (my maximum for that area). :D

I'm still doing a little more research on ported vs sealed subs in a room my size just because I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Most advice I have found steers me to sealed subs due to the size of my room and the room gain they would benefit from down low. I'm not quite 100% on calculating the room gain yet but I think the benefits start around 24Hz for my room size. I am also excited about being able to hit 10Hz or possibly less in my space. I don't believe I've ever had a sub capable of less than 16HZ and they have all been ported.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

Here something that your potential sealed subs could do that the V1501 could never do, play at 10 hz with room shaking authority. There is content that extends down to there in many movies that you simply will not be able to feel with the ported sub unless you choose a different type that is low tuned.. but you will not have room for that in your setup. What this feels like, @zambine , Is like heavy weight that is added to the movie soundtracks and some music tracks that you can’t really necessarily hear but it just makes the room feel heavy, more realistic. I never ever felt that with my ported psa subs. To be fair though, if I went balls to the wall and just laid it all out with no respect for volume ( or neighbors) , the ported subs do take a little bit more and are “ rowdier”, ime.

I found that my dog goes crazy when I play ultra low bass so I was just trying to piss him off this morning :)

Lol..

Edit: yes I know sine waves are bad to play but I never do this and it literally lasted about 30 sec

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I went from SVS ported to sealed so it’s not the same situation as Dave Charles’s. But two S3611’s are insane in my room. Twin S3010’s will deliver tons of performance and be awesome for home theater plus low digit extension.

I would only consider ported if PSA came out with a super low tuned sub other than that only a larger driver dual opposed sealed design could tempt me. I think you would love 4 15’s in your room and never look back.

FYI my room is 24 feet deep and opened to another room at the rear so much larger than yours.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts

My room is size is 2100 cuft on suspended floor. I went the opposite. I went from dual submersive HPs to ported PSA V1811 to ported Rythmik FV18. I missed the violence and attack of the bass with sealed. The v1811 were really good but missed the deep bass the FV18 seem to give best of both worlds. So it’s entirely dependent on the kind of sub we are talking about. If you are staying with PSA then yes the s3010 would be a great choice.

Reactions: Kirkobangz

·
Registered
186 Posts
This thread is crazy! I've read probably 50+ pages of it here and there and that isn't even scratching the surface.

Narrowing down to the PSA brand was hard enough but stopping myself from flip-flopping back and forth between different PSA subwoofers is even harder.

I tentatively decided on dual V1811 subs for my ~4500ft^3 space for movies and games but then I read a few pages and feel like I want to switch to dual S3010 subs...then I read another few pages and want to switch back to V1811. And on and on it goes as I try to digest everyone's input and opinion. The cost difference doesn't matter to me nor does the physical size difference. I just want something that sounds great with minimal chance of any aspect of the subwoofer distracting me from content enjoyment.

If you aren't already set on ported vs. sealed how do you ever make a decision?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Here something that your potential sealed subs could do that the V1501 could never do, play at 10 hz with room shaking authority. There is content that extends down to there in many movies that you simply will not be able to feel with the ported sub unless you choose a different type that is low tuned.. but you will not have room for that in your setup. What this feels like, @zambine , Is like heavy weight that is added to the movie soundtracks and some music tracks that you can’t really necessarily hear but it just makes the room feel heavy, more realistic. I never ever felt that with my ported psa subs. To be fair though, if I went balls to the wall and just laid it all out with no respect for volume ( or neighbors) , the ported subs do take a little bit more and are “ rowdier”, ime.

I found that my dog goes crazy when I play ultra low bass so I was just trying to piss him off this morning :)

https://youtu.be/zwn2zgg2GBI

Lol..

Edit: yes I know sine waves are bad to play but I never do this and it literally lasted about 30 sec

Dave,

We have a greyhound mix and a Chihuahua. Both dogs always watched every movie with the wife and I. Once the PSA sub came and replaced the SVS subs only the little guy would stick around for every movie and never leave his mom. Bailey, (big dog) would watch some movies. Now with the dual S3611's as soon as credits roll to intro scene she is up off her love seat and out like a bat out of hell! :D

Reactions: David Charles

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
This thread is crazy! I've read probably 50+ pages of it here and there and that isn't even scratching the surface.

Narrowing down to the PSA brand was hard enough but stopping myself from flip-flopping back and forth between different PSA subwoofers is even harder.

I tentatively decided on dual V1811 subs for my ~4500ft^3 space for movies and games but then I read a few pages and feel like I want to switch to dual S3010 subs...then I read another few pages and want to switch back to V1811. And on and on it goes as I try to digest everyone's input and opinion. The cost difference doesn't matter to me nor does the physical size difference. I just want something that sounds great with minimal chance of any aspect of the subwoofer distracting me from content enjoyment.

If you aren't already set on ported vs. sealed how do you ever make a decision?

Some general rules most follow are that if you are primarily HT or in a large open room, ported is the way to go. You could achieve the same performance with sealed but would need more of them and it gets expensive. However that is general guidance and variations exist due to placement and individual preferences.

I would also read up some of this guide as well.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2958528-guide-subwoofer-calibration-bass-preferences.html#/topics/2958528?page=30

46761 - 46780 of 57960 Posts