AVS Forum banner

47061 - 47080 of 57911 Posts

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Does a dual opposed design count as mass cancelling, or is it something more complex like the 7201?
It can be any number of drivers. You just need to ensure the mass moving one way is the same as the mass moving the other way..:)

1:1
2:2
3:3

I did the old B4+ way back in 2003(?). Pretty much the s7201, smaller, and turned on its side.

But duals like the submersive and s3010 mass cancel too. I think one of the first I say for those were the old mirage bps series.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I agree MDF is awful to work with, the dust gets everywhere, super fine absolutely hate it. My plan is to build 2 more cabs out of MDF and do some measuring to compare the 2 materials. My puppy chewed my laptop charger so I cant even look to see if I have measurements at the time of the issue.

Compared to Mark's cabinet, I had to go back and add more bracing because of a resonance issue. I had a um18 in a similar size and shape cab that did not require the same attention for added bracing.

Crazy pressure from these motors

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
I agree MDF is awful to work with, the dust gets everywhere, super fine absolutely hate it. My plan is to build 2 more cabs out of MDF and do some measuring to compare the 2 materials. My puppy chewed my laptop charger so I cant even look to see if I have measurements at the time of the issue.

Compared to Mark's cabinet, I had to go back and add more bracing because of a resonance issue. I had a um18 in a similar size and shape cab that did not require the same attention for added bracing.

Crazy pressure from these motors
What did you end up port/tuning wise? Were these the "kits' from mark with that stuff dictated to you or did you find your own balance?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
When Mark was posting in the B&C thread with the settings for the x21.

He terminates the port without a flare. It was brought up flaring and increasing the port distance to the back wall would lower turning some, which made the enclosure larger.

His distance from port to back wall was 5", he advised no more then 10" and I ended at about 9 or just under

He had dimensions of his cab so I spent a day looking at pics of internal bracing and cutouts and guessed at sizes. Not terribly difficult knowing outer dimensions,port size and length. Some math and placement and sizes are fairly evident. What I did not pick up were braces at top inside the enclosure, which made itself known pretty quickly. Frankly I know better. "Never enough time to do the job right the first time, always enough time the second time around "

They quit selling the enclosures only not long after offering them.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Like I said there's a reason why the 99.9% use MDF(and its not cost). If anyone feels like using an alternate material is the best way to go with their DIY box I'm not going to argue with them---knock yourself out. Some swear their subs are better because they have a phone app. Others swear their magic isolation feet or power cord made huge differences. If anyone wants to believe BB over MDF is going to have *audible* advantage...it's your lives...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Hey now dont forget about 8 inch voice coils! :rolleyes::D

Reactions: ahblaza

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Sitting here recovering from a long saturday night just bassin out a little, for anyone intrested you gotta try "matstubs-war bass boosted. Found it on youtube fun song for any bass head!

Edit- haveing fun with the subs all afternoon. Hit me with some face melters if you guys have any new suggestions

·
Registered
612 Posts
Sitting here recovering from a long saturday night just bassin out a little, for anyone intrested you gotta try "matstubs-war bass boosted. Found it on youtube fun song for any bass head!

Edit- haveing fun with the subs all afternoon. Hit me with some face melters if you guys have any new suggestions

You heard this one? I am listening to it right now.

4.35 Am original mix by Pensees

https://open.spotify.com/track/02zIFefhDWiriO6uvzek6r?si=zQBWlAcvQSS96PA_MT441A

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
You heard this one? I am listening to it right now.

4.35 Am original mix by Pensees

https://open.spotify.com/track/02zIFefhDWiriO6uvzek6r?si=zQBWlAcvQSS96PA_MT441A

Great recommendation! Reminds me of one of my fave bass songs by infected mushroom! I think youll enjoy this!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cNpLXuO1j1c&ved=0ahUKEwj-hsC3-ubgAhXIo4MKHc5JCigQ3ywIOzAC&usg=AOvVaw1D7-qwDgepeZc-jZp0T2-G

Bass pounds around the 1 min mark and jusy seems to get louder as the song goes on

Reactions: ahblaza and drh3b

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
^^ btw beyond the LFE and subs alone the 12.2s really shine during this track! Sounds amazing!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Great recommendation! Reminds me of one of my fave bass songs by infected mushroom! I think youll enjoy this!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cNpLXuO1j1c&ved=0ahUKEwj-hsC3-ubgAhXIo4MKHc5JCigQ3ywIOzAC&usg=AOvVaw1D7-qwDgepeZc-jZp0T2-G

Bass pounds around the 1 min mark and jusy seems to get louder as the song goes on

Nice, it has been enjoyed. ... and added to bass list.

I also recently found this; Sequoia by Andy Leech

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
^^ btw beyond the LFE and subs alone the 12.2s really shine during this track! Sounds amazing!
I can't imagine not having speakers that can keep up with your subs, for me they add so much lower to mid bass slam reinforcement. I listened to a few minutes of some tracks with just the subs playing as I didn't turn on the outboard amps for my speakers, then turned the subs off and listened to the speakers by themselves. I realized how important having capable mains is.......I hear you my friend.....:)

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I love that Nathan, Jeff and Mark jump in these threads to share knowledge and experience. It's such an awesome thread with an awesome product that speaks to the openness of these great ID audio companies, especially Tom's Power Sound Audio. Usually competition is so cut throat and flippant of each other that it's refreshing to see genuine, friendly conversation amongst ID sub companies. :D

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I can't imagine not having speakers that can keep up with your subs, for me they add so much lower to mid bass slam reinforcement. I listened to a few minutes of some tracks with just the subs playing as I didn't turn on the outboard amps for my speakers, then turned the subs off and listened to the speakers by themselves. I realized how important having capable mains is.......I hear you my friend.....:)
No doubt! When i used the 228s as mains with the quad t18s they were okay at low to moderate volumes but once i started to crank it the 228s just seemed to fall on their face down low. Im not knocking the 228s as they simply aren't designed for that kind of output down low.

The difference between the 228s and 12.2s isnt as noticable up high but man when listing to bass heavy music or movies with the volume up high the 12.2s are able to keep up with the t18s right from the 80hz crossover and up with no problem. Its a drastic difference over what the 228s are capable of, at 105 db sensitive from 80-800hz plus 1k watts
From the amp id even go as far as saying its a completely new experience

Again im not knocking the 228s at all, i still have them in my setup for a reason. 228s are phenomenal speakers just different designs and completely different price points

that coment alone makes me think you would be in heaven if you could hear how amazing the 12.2 and t18s pair, it truly is a treat. I couldnt be happier

Reactions: ahblaza

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I love that Nathan, Jeff and Mark jump in these threads to share knowledge and experience. It's such an awesome thread with an awesome product that speaks to the openness of these great ID audio companies, especially Tom's Power Sound Audio. Usually competition is so cut throat and flippant of each other that it's refreshing to see genuine, friendly conversation amongst ID sub companies. :D
Very good point/observation!

To me the first thing i think of is how much this shows that audio is always number one and they have a common passion between themselves and all the competitors. Hats off to all them for never forgetting their passion and common interests and really showing that audio is the number one reason we are all here. Its rare to see this sort of thing with any competitors these days, especially in the sales department where competition seems to be as cut throat as politics anymore

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
@David Charles I see you put your dual S3601 subs for sale in the ad. Just curious what you going with next?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Did more playing with the new pair of S1510's. Moved the back sub from one corner to the other and now crossed parallel to front sub. More important its near field to my chairs and the tactile response is "back". I say that because I used to have bass shakers in our older sofa's. Now we have new furniture with two swivel club chairs and really no way to incorporate them.

Did a new sweep with the Antimode and a secondary. Room is very balanced again.
First attempt to play with delay and really not finding any measurable difference using the SPL meter. That and room size settings not really apparent. Also the gain on the antimode which can boost 15-25 or 25-35hz not audibly obvious to me. Might have to call Tom. Like most of us "don't want to be leaving anyting in the box"!

Streamed "Ready Player One" last night and was delighted by the car chase. The mix of music and effect of bass was super!
I use one of these: https://www.acousticsciences.com/products/subtrap
on one sub and a subdued on the rear sub. My previous sealed subs were not as refined as the S1510 and were "tamed" with treatment. To some extent this refinement coupled with the basstrap creates a less visceral bass experience. Im not talking retina detaching aspirations here but this cat-mouse game of tradeoffs does leave some wanting. At the same time the transparency of these subs in my room and configuration has improved the overall detailing that "EVERYTHING sounds better thru it. No booming corners and no buzzing windows. The isolation efforts took care of that long ago.

At 62lbs each moving these subs make for playtime easier. I suppose a used unit will come up at some time and I can put one back behind the sofa. Tom, any issues with three subs? vs. 2 or 4??
The room is smooth and fatigue reduced with these wonderful subs! Very pleased with the progress and hope to continue dialing them in!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
@David Charles I see you put your dual S3601 subs for sale in the ad. Just curious what you going with next?
Cash in hand for new purchases of new products that may be released in the future ;) I love the subs, truly, and don't care if they don't sell. It does take time to sell audio equipment and have no problem sitting on some cash until what i seek, pops up for purchase :)

Dave

47061 - 47080 of 57911 Posts