AVS Forum banner

57161 - 57180 of 58062 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’m debating upgrading from dual PB16s to either dual TV36 or dual TV18. The new LT subs looks amazing, giving both strong ULF and midbass like never before.

The TV18 look more attractive from cost and weight perspectives (anybody know its weight?). The TV36 sounds like overkill, but I want to avoid what-ifs. And the 36 is only about 50% more cost for twice the drivers.

Is it worth upgrading to either of these options from the PB16s? I already get noise complaints from family and neighbors; don't want to make them too much worse.

Which model between the 18 and 36?

Looking for strong extension down to about 10Hz. Would be paired with minidspHD and BEQ.

Room: Currently 14 x 13 x 9. Including bathroom and closet brings it to 2500 ft^3, sealed on a concrete slab. In a couple years I plan to move houses, and having an unknown larger space.
Uses: 100% movies
Listening habits: -20 MV with DEQ on and increasing sub trim 5-10 dB after Aud

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I’m debating upgrading from dual PB16s to either dual TV36 or dual TV18. The new LT subs looks amazing, giving both strong ULF and midbass like never before.

The TV18 look more attractive from cost and weight perspectives (anybody know its weight?). The TV36 sounds like overkill, but I want to avoid what-ifs. And the 36 is only about 50% more cost for twice the drivers.

Is it worth upgrading to either of these options from the PB16s? I already get noise complaints from family and neighbors; don't want to make them too much worse.

Looking for strong extension down to about 10Hz. Would be paired with minidspHD and BEQ.

Room: Currently 14 x 13 x 9. Including bathroom and closet brings it to 2500 ft^3, sealed on a concrete slab. In a couple years I plan to move houses, and having an unknown larger space.

Dual TV18’s and a pair of Crowson’s or a Hover Boss

·
Registered
12,805 Posts
Reactions: ahblaza

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

·
Registered
14,109 Posts
In regards to sound quality and direct vibration into the room. Creating other rattling. There is a reason for the feet of speakers and subs.
Not when the floor is a concrete slab with thick carpet. All of the decoupling has been done. Suspended wood floor, then yea I can see that being plausible.

You talked me into it, pretty easy process. The bolts are very long, good thing I have attachment for sockets for my drill.
That looks much better!!

·
Registered
12,805 Posts
In regards to sound quality and direct vibration into the room. Creating other rattling. There is a reason for the feet of speakers and subs.
Ahhh, makes sense now.

If you were on a suspended floor, yes some decoupling could be beneficial. I am on carpet over a concrete slab so no issues for me just laying the subs down.

·
Registered
12,805 Posts
You talked me into it, pretty easy process. The bolts are very long, good thing I have attachment for sockets for my drill.
Now, move those logos and turn them right side up! ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
OK thank you was curious because isoacoustics iso-stands made a big difference for my Elac UF5s. So I thought 31 inches of contact on the floor for the TV18 would be vibration overload. I suffer from being too literal in my rational.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts

Dual TV18’s and a pair of Crowson’s or a Hover Boss
I agree Benzo.

If you think TV36's would be over kill then get dual TV18's save money and use it to buy Crowsons. Unless you really want to save the money... then make a BOSS set up. Either way, the TR will make it feel and sound like you have way more subs than you do.

Reactions: CallingMrBenzo

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
OK thank you was curious because isoacoustics iso-stands made a big difference for my Elac UF5s. So I thought 31 inches of contact on the floor for the TV18 would be vibration overload. I suffer from being too literal in my rational.

Dennis Foley, from Acoustic Fields, recently posted a YouTube video advocating getting subs off the floor and if there are multiple subs, positioning them at varying heights. Interesting suggestion and inexpensive to experiment with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,805 Posts

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
TV1812 just got delivered!

Can't wait to set it up this weekend!
What? You're waiting to set it up?

Pull an all nighter and set it up tonight.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Now, move those logos and turn them right side up! ;)
LOL, also no issues with sound with carpet over concrete for me either.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I realize ported models get the most attention but how do the dual opposed sealed models compare to their ported equivalent? In other words say a TV1812 vs an S3612?
Just curious what adds more output; double the drivers and amp power or a port?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, been following this thread for a while trying to absorb as much info as I possibly can. Figure it's time to chime in as I was part of the first shipment of TV18s. Started with dual v1811s and as much as I enjoyed them, always felt something was missing when watching movies. When Tom announced the TV18s, I took the plunge. Still got a lot of tuning to do, but with the minimal amount that I've done, there is a noticeable difference. Attached is a graph (subs only) with the v1811s and TV18s in my 16x16x9 room. No room correction or EQ on both measurements, room size set to large. As others have said, the TVs are the real deal. IMO, if you are on the fence about upgrading, do it and take advantage of the pre-order pricing!

Attachments

57161 - 57180 of 58062 Posts