AVS Forum banner

57181 - 57200 of 59541 Posts

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
1,021 Posts
Please excuse the noob question. I thought I knew, but then doubt set in. Is the V3612 considered a low tuned sub versus the TV3612? My gut, and the dimensions say no. Is it the "TV" moniker that specifies the low tuning?

Reactions: CallingMrBenzo

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Please excuse the noob question. I thought I knew, but then doubt set in. Is the V3612 considered a low tuned sub versus the TV3612? My gut, and the dimensions say no. Is it the "TV" moniker that specifies the low tuning?

Correct, TV is the designation

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I realize ported models get the most attention but how do the dual opposed sealed models compare to their ported equivalent? In other words say a TV1812 vs an S3612?
Just curious what adds more output; double the drivers and amp power or a port?
In that specific comparison, I'd say the S3612 wins easily, and pretty much across the board. But please don't take that to be a hard rule of 2 sealed vs 1 ported, it totally depends on the exact comparison.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ok, so I just cleared my PEQ and have no REW curve. I disabled audi and DEQ. I have the gain set to 50% on the subs my TRIM is at -11db and I have no bass boost in the minidsp. I ran two sweeps. One with room size control at minimum and one with it set to large.
I would kill for bass response like that in ANY of my rooms without EQ. You must be super happy. Are you using a regular rectangular room? What about bass traps? Surely no room can sound this good by default!?!?

·
Registered
268 Posts
That is my native response with no bass traps. I also have the LPF to LFE at 120hz on that sweep. If I push it to 250hz it shows the sub performance from 100hz to 200hz is even more powerful than the 20hz part of the signal. The only problem I have is that 90hz null.

Earlier I posted some shots of compression when I was setting them up but that wasn't accurate because my gain was too low and I was relying on software boosts to try and keep up with the master volume. Where I am at now, I have no compression at 115db output and my gain is at the 11 "0" clock position and I am using bass boosts in the TRIM. The TV18 really is more sub than I can handle.

When I had the V1812's and my response started to drop at 23hz and faded out by 20hz, many people said that my room was not good for ULF response but now they are saying the opposite. The difference between the V1812 and the TV18 is night and day when it comes to low end. I'm getting 111db output at 6hz with the gain below the halfway point which far exceeds my logical expectations for these before I owned them. These subs are great for my room and left me wanting for nothing. I've always loved the way my V1812's sound but the TV18 took it to another level for both sound quality and ULF capability.

I have a rectangular room and I have the TV on the long wall with the subs on either side of the TV. They are in the front corner's of the room but not all the way. I have them about 12 inches from the wall. Both subs are the exact same distance from the MLP and audi as well as my own testing with delays has proven that I need no delay for the best response. Audi sets both subs to the exact same distance and rightly so. I have a large 8 foot opening in the wall with no door behind the couch that leads to the rest of the house. The ceiling is vaulted, it's 8 feet high where the subs are and ends at 13 feet high behind the couch. The room opens up like a speaker horn. I have thick thermal insulated curtains that cover 80% of the front and back walls of the room. If you clap in my room there is no hint of an echo. Room dimensions are 19X14X9 or 10 for the vaulted ceiling. It's on a suspended wooden floor with carpet.

·
Audio Pack Rat
311 Posts
I realize ported models get the most attention but how do the dual opposed sealed models compare to their ported equivalent? In other words say a TV1812 vs an S3612?
There is another benefit to the dual opposed subs that gets glossed over since it is not about performance. That is the ability to put things on top and have them actually stay there and not walk off.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I know this post won't address your question but I think Aron already did a good job of that so there's really nothing to add. However, your post made me think and you're right, this thread is focusing more on ported subs than sealed right now. But stick around long enough and that will change and it'll be talking about sealed subs more than ported.

Two years ago this thread went through a phase where it was focused on the sealed PSA offerings. Guys were selling their ported subs and moving to sealed subs and big discussions were breaking out all the time about the benefits of sealed subs. Of course that was shortly after the S7201 came out and the S3611 was also getting a ton of attention. Prior to that, when the V3600 came out and then the V1800 there was a ton of talk about ported subs. This thread goes back and forth all the time.

But these low tune ported subs are a little different. They give you the benefits of the ported subs output around port tune with the extension of a sealed sub. So I think these will be the focus of attention for awhile.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
When you stare at your email all day hoping and waiting for a tracking number!
We are loading up 7 pallets now but only 3 of them are TV18 subs. The rest are higher in the build queue based on date of order. A couple TV3612, TV36ipal, a V3612.

I will have the PRO numbers emailed to everyone within 30 minutes or so. We didn't make it quite as far as I hoped though. But we'll be at it over the weekend too and by Monday afternoon's shipment...let see...

All TV18 subs ordered through Tuesday(the 16th) should be fulfilled. After that, I'm too tired to figure it out off the cuff..:)

I'll circle back to all of this when the semi leaves.

Tom V.
Team Power

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hahahaha thanks Tom I have referenced that yall are working far beyond hard over there. I'm just in the worst part of the subwoofer journey. The waiting phase. Just being impatiently patient since your email saying it would be one to two days till shipping. Thank you for all you do.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I know this post won't address your question but I think Aron already did a good job of that so there's really nothing to add. However, your post made me think and you're right, this thread is focusing more on ported subs than sealed right now. But stick around long enough and that will change and it'll be talking about sealed subs more than ported.

Two years ago this thread went through a phase where it was focused on the sealed PSA offerings. Guys were selling their ported subs and moving to sealed subs and big discussions were breaking out all the time about the benefits of sealed subs. Of course that was shortly after the S7201 came out and the S3611 was also getting a ton of attention. Prior to that, when the V3600 came out and then the V1800 there was a ton of talk about ported subs. This thread goes back and forth all the time.

But these low tune ported subs are a little different. They give you the benefits of the ported subs output around port tune with the extension of a sealed sub. So I think these will be the focus of attention for awhile.
Yup...Right around the time I went from V1801s to the S3601's....Hopefully soon I will be going to the TV36's , just been LAGGING! Had the TV18s been around back then , I probably wouldve never went to the S36's because the V18's checked a lot of boxes , except for extension...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Updating from 1997

I was about to pull the trigger on two SVS PB-16 subs but ran across this thread and now I see there are other high performance options. These are amazing subs. I am pretty blown away by the measurements shown in the post by the_sextein above this one. I really did not know that this kind of output existed. I was satisfied with the PB 16s since they were what I thought was available. I have considered building my own too to get better. I am interested in the TV42 IPAL as anyone would be. Im just not sure if placement in one area of my room opposed to two locations is best. Not sure. I have just recently decided to update my prior HT from 1997 lol. I actually bought the first AC3 5.1 home tech available. Before a DVD was released in the market. The Onkyo SVS TX919 and the ED-901 Digital Decoder. SO I am coming from way back. I have recently decided that 7.2 is good enough and went with the Emotiva XMC-1 and a few of their amps. Klipsch RF 7 III's and the center that goes with them. Now I am left to the subs. I intend on this being my last setup. Buying all made in USA is also important to me, so this Power Sound Audio is interesting. The output is just mind blowing.

I got confused and posted this in the wrong thread a while ago. I also see that my actual name is used here. Its ok if I cant change it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We are loading up 7 pallets now but only 3 of them are TV18 subs. The rest are higher in the build queue based on date of order. A couple TV3612, TV36ipal, a V3612.

I will have the PRO numbers emailed to everyone within 30 minutes or so. We didn't make it quite as far as I hoped though. But we'll be at it over the weekend too and by Monday afternoon's shipment...let see...

All TV18 subs ordered through Tuesday(the 16th) should be fulfilled. After that, I'm too tired to figure it out off the cuff..:)

I'll circle back to all of this when the semi leaves.

Tom V.
Team Power
I am looking at the website and do not see TV18 model. What am I missing here? I see this being talked about and shipped out but dont see this one.

·
Registered
12,879 Posts
I was about to pull the trigger on two SVS PB-16 subs but ran across this thread and now I see there are other high performance options. These are amazing subs.
There are even a few more high performance options out there once you discover the wonder of "Internet Direct" subwoofers, but you can't go wrong with PSA. ;)

I am interested in the TV42 IPAL as anyone would be. Im just not sure if placement in one area of my room opposed to two locations is best.
Then get TWO! :D

I actually bought the first AC3 5.1 home tech available. Before a DVD was released in the market. The Onkyo SVS TX919 and the ED-901 Digital Decoder. SO I am coming from way back.
You young-uns and your fancy-shmancy AC3....back in my day, we only had Dolby Pro Logic and WE LIKED IT! :D

Reactions: Mike Butny

·
Registered
12,879 Posts
I am looking at the website and do not see TV18 model. What am I missing here? I see this being talked about and shipped out but dont see this one.
Tom is a very busy man and the TV18 hasn't made it to the website quite yet. Just contact him via email (best) or chat and he will hook you up. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
They exist, here is one of mine sitting next to the 15 year old 12" Mirage sub that they are replacing . Go check out the AVS forum vendor threads, the PSA thread has all the information on the TV18 subs. I think the preorder may be closed at this point but check the link in that thread to be sure.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tom is a very busy man and the TV18 hasn't made it to the website quite yet. Just contact him via email (best) or chat and he will hook you up. ;)
ok thank you for letting me know. I did email them and waiting to hear back. What would the TV18 consist of? One 18" perhaps? Just in one of the "TV" model enclosures? Just trying to use logic. The TV36 is two subs, so the TV18 would be one maybe.

As far as two of the TV42s. YES that is what I really NEED. I dont just want it but its something I need to have lol. At 272 pounds Im not sure how I would move it. The SVS I was considering was 175 pounds and I was worried about that, especially two. Another 100 pounds is a lot. I assume the output of this thing is ludicrous Level. Its always better to have far too much than a little to little. This is coming from an extremest

·
Registered
11 Posts
They exist, here is one of mine sitting next to the 15 year old 12" Mirage sub that they are replacing . Go check out the AVS forum vendor threads, the PSA thread has all the information on the TV18 subs. I think the preorder may be closed at this point but check the link in that thread to be sure.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
ok I see. those are nice

57181 - 57200 of 59541 Posts