AVS Forum banner

58981 - 59000 of 59530 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I feel like every time I come back to this thread there are a handful of new models coming out. I'd like to see DSP improvements so that when people play oddball content like that Edge of Tomorrow scene the subwoofer can be protected.
The dsp does protect the psa subs.

Reactions: Dockside HT

·
Registered
251 Posts
I feel like every time I come back to this thread there are a handful of new models coming out. I'd like to see DSP improvements so that when people play oddball content like that Edge of Tomorrow scene the subwoofer can be protected.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean ajunadeep. I don't see anyone bottoming out PSA's drivers or damaging subs with EoT or other content. The LT ones compress and the V series compresses or chuffs. These are the least offensive or damaging ways for a sub to run out of steam.
Tim

·
Registered
491 Posts
The dsp does protect the psa subs.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean ajunadeep. I don't see anyone bottoming out PSA's drivers or damaging subs with EoT or other content. The LT ones compress and the V series compresses or chuffs. These are the least offensive or damaging ways for a sub to run out of steam.
Tim
I have for sure made mine make funny noises. The kind folks here helped me troubleshoot and it was dynamic EQ that was the majority of the problem, but, the subwoofer for sure didn't protect itself from clipping. Now, really it was a good thing that the problem was noticed because it led me to setup my system better, but really for your average consumer that is plug it in, dial gain to taste, enjoy - it could be better.

I think if I had my wishlist it would be a clipping light on the back of the amp, so you can troubleshoot easier. I also think a "sliding high pass" filter would be a cool way to handle overload protection, so that when you get those 10Hz signals it just high passes but leaves the rest of the content untouched, rather than lowering the entire signal.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I have for sure made mine make funny noises. The kind folks here helped me troubleshoot and it was dynamic EQ that was the majority of the problem, but, the subwoofer for sure didn't protect itself from clipping. Now, really it was a good thing that the problem was noticed because it led me to setup my system better, but really for your average consumer that is plug it in, dial gain to taste, enjoy - it could be better.

I think if I had my wishlist it would be a clipping light on the back of the amp, so you can troubleshoot easier. I also think a "sliding high pass" filter would be a cool way to handle overload protection, so that when you get those 10Hz signals it just high passes but leaves the rest of the content untouched, rather than lowering the entire signal.
How do you know the sub amp was clipping? With DEQ enabled it was likely the receiver. Dsp can't prevent that from making bad sounds but it sounds like it did protect your sub from being damaged. There is no need for the flashing light because dsp prevents anything damaging from getting to the driver.

·
Registered
14,225 Posts

You don't need clipping lights. All you need to do is perform some Compression sweeps in REW as I have mentioned at least a 100 times in this thread now. It's the same thing as the EOT intro...a sine wave sweep. Once you find the volume level where your subs start to show compression on the low end in REW, then you simply turn the master volume down a couple db. That will be a safe volume level for about 99.99% of the material out there. There will still be plenty of material out there that would allow you turn the volume up louder...mainly stuff that doesn't dig down under 30hz.

And signal clipping makes funny noises. You can not bottom out a PSA sub or any of the ID subs. The port does most of the work down low taking the load off the driver. Below port tune a high pass filter protects the driver from over excursion.

·
Registered
RX3070 7.1,Epson 5040,SilverTicket 120" 2.35.1 woven,CAP4000x1,CAP1400x2,MT-110X7
284 Posts
^^^..Here's a question to ad to the topic of potential sub damage.
Let's say you did your compression sweeps 5 hz to 200 hz and dialed back slightly from that.

Whats the consensus on how long you could play some car audio bass tracks before the voice coil started to over heat other than feeling the dust cap and port sniffing.

We know Top of the line ID subs are DSP protected but what about thermal protection 🤔?

·
Registered
14,225 Posts
If the subs subs are well within their limits and no compression they likely can sustain those levels for a long period of time. I have a collection of Bass CD's from over the years and have played my subs 120+ db for 1-2hours while working out or doing things around the house. And have never cooked a driver...amps definitely are warm but that doesn't matter. You can tell when a sub is nearing it's limits by how the sound signature changes anyway...and that is likely the compression point because the frequency response changes and distortion rises. It's clearly audible to me.

Now I seldom listen to my setup that loud because it's hard on the ears and ringing isn't a good thing. Most of us have around here have more woofage then we can safely use anyway without doing some longterm damage to our hearing. Not so much from the bass as it is really the upper frequencies, but in order to have a lot of bass and somewhat balanced sound, the mains are playing pretty loud to keep up with 120+ db of bass.

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
1,000 Posts
oofffta. Ive smelt that smell. Its not a good smell to smell when smelling for smells... o_O

·
Registered
RX3070 7.1,Epson 5040,SilverTicket 120" 2.35.1 woven,CAP4000x1,CAP1400x2,MT-110X7
284 Posts
To add to that I think subs do exhibit a odor when getting a workout but still within their limits just like anything else thats working hard but it's definitely different than a burned voice coil.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Thought I'd pop in and say "hi!". I have a PSA set up in my bedroom and like watching TV there. However, my wife likes watching TV sometimes in the living room, which has an old Sony soundbar and sub. I'll normally complain that the sound isn't any good out there, so she finally told me to "make it better!".

I'm going with 2 S1512DF (smallest that would fit honestly), and 2 MT110s (with a phantom channel for now). Pretty excited though I know the 2 15s won't have near the output of the V3601.

·
Registered
284 Posts
^^Acually two of those S1512DF should have more overall output than one v3601.
You might be trading her subwoofers 😆

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
^^Acually two of those S1512DF should have more overall output than one v3601.
You might be trading her subwoofers 😆
Are you sure about that? I guess it depends on what part of the range we are talking about but I don't think two S1512 are going to have more output than the V3601, especially around port tune.

Reactions: ahblaza

·
Registered
251 Posts
Dirt9,
Maybe below port tune and upper bass but I agree with Hop that around tune and for a couple of octaves above the V3601 should be stronger than a pair of sealed 15"s. Maybe you meant a single vented 18"?
Tim

·
Registered
284 Posts
yeah a single vented 18".Probably not at port tune.To me doubling the wattage and increasing the surface area would yield more output but I've been wrong before :D

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Yeah the V3601 has dual 18" drivers where as the two S1512's have dual 15" drivers so the the advantage goes to the V3601 for surface area. The wattage is pretty much a draw (1700 vs 1920) and only noticeable if you are really playing the subs at full throttle and I doubt even then you'd notice. I'd say advantage goes to the V3601.

But the big wild card in the equation is Neo PA driver of the S1512 vs. the older Emience drivers of the V3601. That would possibly give an advantage to the dual S1512's in the mid bass range. I could be wrong but that's the break down I was looking at.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yeah the V3601 has dual 18" drivers where as the two S1512's have dual 15" drivers so the the advantage goes to the V3601 for surface area. The wattage is pretty much a draw (1700 vs 1920) and only noticeable if you are really playing the subs at full throttle and I doubt even then you'd notice. I'd say advantage goes to the V3601.

But the big wild card in the equation is Neo PA driver of the S1512 vs. the older Emience drivers of the V3601. That would possibly give an advantage to the dual S1512's in the mid bass range. I could be wrong but that's the break down I was looking at.
Yeah, I suspect these will have a completely different sound being sealed anyway. My preference would have gone to vented, but they're 4" deeper at a minimum and certainly don't pass WAF for the living room! I would be interested in seeing the performance charts between the two, but as far as I know performance numbers aren't available, at least not on the site.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Yeah, I suspect these will have a completely different sound being sealed anyway. My preference would have gone to vented, but they're 4" deeper at a minimum and certainly don't pass WAF for the living room! I would be interested in seeing the performance charts between the two, but as far as I know performance numbers aren't available, at least not on the site.
Using data from the older models the S15xxDF tends to have the slowest rolloff of the sealed PSA options. If your space isn't huge and if you like to EQ flat, these will probably be great. What is the longest dimension of your space?

Reactions: albatros43

·
Registered
507 Posts
Back on the sealed Vs ported thing , this past weekend we had another party (I have a lot of them lol) I had the music cranking in the shed with the ported Samsung 15" party in a box I have out there. I came inside to give someone a demo and was a little buzzed of course , but I went completely bass deaf with my sealed subs..No doubt it had a lot to do with how clean the S36's are compared to the boominess of the Samsungs , and the shed being wood giving a lot more feedback than my concrete living room...I went thru a couple Interstellar scenes just trying get the effect I remembered and nothing like I remembered before , i turned the volume up until the breaker gave out lol...I can see why when some people think they arent getting any output when they upgrade to a better sub after having a one note wonder , boominess and cleanliness account for a lot. I imagine thats what happened when the switch to the Neo/Ipals drivers occurred for a lot of the older Eminence users , the cleaner sound appeared to be lack of bass....
The next day my ears returned to normal and my setup had more impact , but yeah , seriously ready for some Low Tuned ported in my life....This new 21" has me intrigued , waiting to hear more details on it...Really need to start boxing up my subs , such a pain though...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Back on the sealed Vs ported thing , this past weekend we had another party (I have a lot of them lol) I had the music cranking in the shed with the ported Samsung 15" party in a box I have out there. I came inside to give someone a demo and was a little buzzed of course , but I went completely bass deaf with my sealed subs..No doubt it had a lot to do with how clean the S36's are compared to the boominess of the Samsungs , and the shed being wood giving a lot more feedback than my concrete living room...I went thru a couple Interstellar scenes just trying get the effect I remembered and nothing like I remembered before , i turned the volume up until the breaker gave out lol...I can see why when some people think they arent getting any output when they upgrade to a better sub after having a one note wonder , boominess and cleanliness account for a lot. I imagine thats what happened when the switch to the Neo/Ipals drivers occurred for a lot of the older Eminence users , the cleaner sound appeared to be lack of bass....
The next day my ears returned to normal and my setup had more impact , but yeah , seriously ready for some Low Tuned ported in my life....This new 21" has me intrigued , waiting to hear more details on it...Really need to start boxing up my subs , such a pain though...
Alcohol does funny things to ears. My favorite nightclub had a wooden room upstairs with an overkill of scoop style/horn loaded subwoofers. I think Dynacord? Anyways, the room would "breathe" with the music. The floor vibrated and the rafters added their signature. Added a lot of character.

58981 - 59000 of 59530 Posts