AVS Forum banner

59381 - 59400 of 59543 Posts

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Yeah, I'm at +10db in Sub trim in the AVR to get levels at what i prefer.
+10 for your sub trim?!!!! :oops:

Yeah.... either something is not right or you are a very serious basshead! I would definitely redo things. I suggest just running things through your AVR and calibrate that way first and see what your levels come out to be. That will give you a place to start and give you an idea of the levels you should be getting with basic calibration. Then, armed with that info you can bring in the minidsp.

What AVR do you have?

·
Registered
19 Posts
+10 for your sub trim?!!!! :oops:

Yeah.... either something is not right or you are a very serious basshead! I would definitely redo things. I suggest just running things through your AVR and calibrate that way first and see what your levels come out to be. That will give you a place to start and give you an idea of the levels you should be getting with basic calibration. Then, armed with that info you can bring in the minidsp.

What AVR do you have?
Yeah, I know I'm going to have to get back in and rerun everything, just have to wait for my next days off. I have a Denon AVR X4300h.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Yeah, I know I'm going to have to get back in and rerun everything, just have to wait for my next days off. I have a Denon AVR X4300h.
That's a great AVR... I have a 4200 and a 4400. Just run XT32 and see where you end up. It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have some REW sweeps of both of my subs with acoustical reference timings. Would anyone be able to review them and give me some opinions on best delay settings for alignment? I'm not very good at using the REW alignment tool.
a little bump for you since this got posted right before all the excitement of david_sg’s tv1512s arriving. 😀

·
Registered
252 Posts
data-bass.com has output data on 3 older models. Those are the XS-15SE, the XV-15, and the XV-30FSE.

When you bring up data-bass.com click on Systems on the top to the left. Scroll down till you see Power Sound Audio.
there's no reason to refer to data_bass to learn about the new PSA models because every facet of the product is completely different now and member Jaxon1's other consideration Arendal has no data there to compare to anyway.

Jaxson1, in a space as small as yours either pair of subs will coast below their limits at all times. You don't need the extra efficiency of a ported subs in a small concrete space That room is ideal for a pair of sealed subs. Even if you were to stick with Arendal it should be a pair of sealed models like 2S (probably single driver versions would be enough and Arendal has them on sale now.) PSA's latest 12 series Pro Neo and Ipal Drivers are known to excel in midbass slam, just what you asked for. You're coming from a pair of PB4000's which is way more ported subwoofage than that space requires and you're upgrading so it must be for something different.
A small space is the rare instance where sealed subs will have a ULF advantage over even Low Tuned Ported. Single digit extension should be easy to achieve even if you "downgraded" to smaller sealed subs like S1812 (or even S1512) or Arendal 1S. You would be wise to save some $$ on the subs and put that toward acoustic treatments (if you haven't already.) Obvioulsy treat for bass ringing with traps but also some mid and high absortion/diffusion. That will be very noticeable in appreciating mid bass in real world content not just sweeps and sine waves.
Tim

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have hade 2 svs pb4000 that i now have sold becouse i whant som more chest slam. Ok they digged dip but i whant something that hitts harder

And im looking to buy 2 again.

Hope you guys have some input and can help me out ..
I have owned one PB4000 and my living room is (2240 feet3) and I wanted more chest slam and one TV1812 did that and gave me more ULF than the PB4000 did.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's a great AVR... I have a 4200 and a 4400. Just run XT32 and see where you end up. It shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.
Okay, so I should run Audyssey first to see where it sets levels then run through the mini dsp process and adjust phase and stuff in the mini dsp last?

Watched the home theater guru video on YT and was trying to follow that. Personally I wasn't happy with how Audyssey did stuff on it's own which is why I bought the mini dsp...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Okay, so I should run Audyssey first to see where it sets levels then run through the mini dsp process and adjust phase and stuff in the mini dsp last?

Watched the home theater guru video on YT and was trying to follow that. Personally I wasn't happy with how Audyssey did stuff on it's own which is why I bought the mini dsp...
Since it seems you are so out of whack. Use Audyssey to get your gain on the sub set to something reasonable. Then disable Audyssey and use rew to figure out the best location for your subs.

Assuming your subs end up moving, from here you can:
1. rerun Audyssey, do another rew sweep and determine if you need to touch things up with mini dsp, or
2. Use mini dsp to fine tune things and then run Audyssey.

Reactions: Hogre Franklin

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
No. Audyssey will time align the subwoofers, so you don't need to do anything with the phase. Leave them both at 0 on the subs, too.

You may still adjust the subwoofer distances (both of them by the same amount) to merge them better with your front speakers afterward.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Since it seems you are so out of whack. Use Audyssey to get your gain on the sub set to something reasonable. Then disable Audyssey and use rew to figure out the best location for your subs.

Assuming your subs end up moving, from here you can:
1. rerun Audyssey, do another rew sweep and determine if you need to touch things up with mini dsp, or
2. Use mini dsp to fine tune things and then run Audyssey.
Okay, thanks for all the help guys. I'll be off Monday through Wednesday, hopefully I'll be able to have time to rerun everything haha.

Also i hope you meant my system is out of wack, not me 🤣

·
Registered
7,514 Posts

Yeah, I didn't always like what Audyssey did to my bass either. I just suggested running Audyssey to get the speaker configuration, trim levels and distances set. You can always turn Audyssey off (which disengages the filters) after running it but you will still retain the distances, trim settings, speaker configuration etc for your set up. Then you can play with REW and the minidsp to EQ the bass the way you want it.

When Aaron and Zach were remotely dialing in my set up this is the way we did it. The first thing we did was disengage Audyssey, bump my gains up to 12:00 and take REW sweeps to verify I had the subs in the correct location. Then we tweaked delay settings using the minidsp and REW to find the best bass response and proceeded from there with EQ. My whole point is that you can let the Audyssey calibration do some of the heavy lifting and then disengage the filters and optimize your calibration using the minidsp.

Reactions: Hogre Franklin

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
No. Audyssey will time align the subwoofers, so you don't need to do anything with the phase. Leave them both at 0 on the subs, too.

You may still adjust the subwoofer distances (both of them by the same amount) to merge them better with your front speakers afterward.
I've found on more than one occasion that Audyssey doesn't always get the phase (delays) as good as they could be. I would definitely play with them using REW to see if you can get a better response. It's really easy using the minidsp to make a change, check it in REW and go from there depending on how it looks. Definitely worth experimenting IMO.

·
Registered
117 Posts
there's no reason to refer to data_bass to learn about the new PSA models because every facet of the product is completely different now and member Jaxon1's other consideration Arendal has no data there to compare to anyway.

Jaxson1, in a space as small as yours either pair of subs will coast below their limits at all times. You don't need the extra efficiency of a ported subs in a small concrete space That room is ideal for a pair of sealed subs. Even if you were to stick with Arendal it should be a pair of sealed models like 2S (probably single driver versions would be enough and Arendal has them on sale now.) PSA's latest 12 series Pro Neo and Ipal Drivers are known to excel in midbass slam, just what you asked for. You're coming from a pair of PB4000's which is way more ported subwoofage than that space requires and you're upgrading so it must be for something different.
A small space is the rare instance where sealed subs will have a ULF advantage over even Low Tuned Ported. Single digit extension should be easy to achieve even if you "downgraded" to smaller sealed subs like S1812 (or even S1512) or Arendal 1S. You would be wise to save some $$ on the subs and put that toward acoustic treatments (if you haven't already.) Obvioulsy treat for bass ringing with traps but also some mid and high absortion/diffusion. That will be very noticeable in appreciating mid bass in real world content not just sweeps and sine waves.
Tim
Hi
Thanks for answear, yep i admit im a bassjunky.😅
And yes i have roomtreatment. Youst seeking after that real puch in the chest when gunshots like in John wick movie's and big explosion's. Dont now if i throwing mony in the dumpster IF i buy 2 PSA S3012 and better to buy to smaller PSA subbs. But you think it's better to go for the seald the maybe the PSA V1812 ported subb..?
And what do you think Arendal vs PSA..?

·
Registered
254 Posts
if Audyssey time aligns your subs with each other correctly, then you’re all good. However, if it didn’t do a good job, then you’re screwed as once you try to correct the delay post-Audyssey you’ve completely screwed up the EQ. That’s why if you have a measurement mic and REW, I always recommend using one subwoofer output split to both subwoofers, manually time aligning the subs through taking REW measurements and adjusting the delay knob on sub or through a minidsp, and then either run Audyssey or EQ through minidsp first.

For me, my measurement position had a huge cancellation at 40hz and Audyssey was boosting the heck out of that and eating up my headroom. It was better to EQ outside of Audyssey and leave Audyssey off to get more headroom instead of eating it up in boosting a very narrow bandwidth null. That’s the downside with Audyssey, you have to really test it afterwards and know how to analyze data to see what it’s doing and how much it’s boosting to affect your headroom. With REW and a mini-DSP you know exactly how much you’re boosting and can control (limit) that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have owned one PB4000 and my living room is (2240 feet3) and I wanted more chest slam and one TV1812 did that and gave me more ULF than the PB4000 did.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Ok
You never tought om going Whit the BIGGER seald psa subbs..?

And
Do you feel a wow diffrens betwin pb4000 and TV1812 or youst a Little diffrens.?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah, I didn't always like what Audyssey did to my bass either. I just suggested running Audyssey to get the speaker configuration, trim levels and distances set. You can always turn Audyssey off (which disengages the filters) after running it but you will still retain the distances, trim settings, speaker configuration etc for your set up. Then you can play with REW and the minidsp to EQ the bass the way you want it.

When Aaron and Zach were remotely dialing in my set up this is the way we did it. The first thing we did was disengage Audyssey, bump my gains up to 12:00 and take REW sweeps to verify I had the subs in the correct location. Then we tweaked delay settings using the minidsp and REW to find the best bass response and proceeded from there with EQ. My whole point is that you can let the Audyssey calibration do some of the heavy lifting and then disengage the filters and optimize your calibration using the minidsp.
Okay! I can try that. But using Audyssey first to set delays and trims means I'll want to run both of my sub outputs into the mini dsp, instead of one, afterwards to retain the seperate measurements it takes for both subs right?

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
I've found on more than one occasion that Audyssey doesn't always get the phase (delays) as good as they could be. I would definitely play with them using REW to see if you can get a better response. It's really easy using the minidsp to make a change, check it in REW and go from there depending on how it looks. Definitely worth experimenting IMO.
Like I said, I would try Audyssey first for the reasons I listed, and then go the other route if that doesn't work out. In some setups, that may be necessary.

Also, I'm not sure I would trust Audyssey to do the right thing if I presented it with already time-aligned subs - what if it messes it up? That is part of the problem. You need to get the automated part out of the way first.

59381 - 59400 of 59543 Posts