AVS Forum banner

59461 - 59480 of 61079 Posts

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,276 Posts
Hi im not planing to fit in A TR device, so Whit that in mind what do you think.

2x S3012
Or
2x TV1812

I Love action movies like Ready player One, John wick, Transformers, hacksaw ridge and Transformers and also horror movie's Realy whant the base to scare the **** out of me and hit Hard as hell and have Good TR down low..😁
How close are you to your dealer? Will he let you briefly demo one of each? Maybe just for a weekend?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Who in the world watches movies at those levels? Anyone watching at 12dB over reference is a serious basshead. More realistic levels are at reference or a bit below reference. Dual subs of either model would be cruising in that room at reference levels. So I don't think looking at what the subs can do maxed out really has anything to do with this. Realistic listening levels is what matters in any situation where you are considering what subs to buy.

And I'm still a believer that ported subs bring more TR than sealed subs simply because it's what I've experienced in my own home. In fact, here is a brain teaser for you, my TV36's have a lot more TR than my previous V3601's had and they are both ported subs with 18" drivers in a similar cabinet and same wattage. The TV36's sit exactly where the V3601's did and they are run just as hot. The major difference between them are the drivers and the port design and position. Yet, to me and my family, it was undeniable that there was a noticeable difference between the TR of these two ported subs. We noticed the difference as soon as I set up the TV36's. So... if there is that much difference in the TR between similar ported subs I'm not buying it when it's said there isn't a difference between sealed and ported subs.

However, to me it really doesn't matter because if anyone on concrete is serious about TR than neither ported or sealed is going to be the answer. The answer is Crowsons or a BOSS set up. No amount of subs will trump what you get from a TR device on concrete. So I agree with what you posted to basshead regarding TR devices.
I'm not suggesting anyone listens at that level and I agree with everything in the above post but my post responded to yours where you mentioned the extra ULF output of the LTV alignment over Sealed in a small room where neither alignment would ever run out of headroom. In a bigger room I agree completely.
I believe the biggest TR difference between the 2 alignments on the same surface would occur when both are on suspended floor and sealed is compared to LTV whe the port is close to floor (downfiring or low slot.) That would be perceptible regardless of cu ft/spl.
On slab in a small space discussing the extra TR of LTV vs sealed is the same as discussing the minimal extension advantage of sealed over LTV, say 7 vs 9 hz in the same space
Tim

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
1,720 Posts
Sorry, very anti Apple here (code for ignorant). I use the windows version and have had near zero issues. REW in windows can be a bit finicky with how its turned on versus what plugged in before or after (what I have found). MAC REW is supposed to be idiot proof..... 😘 Just joking with you. There is a definite learning curve, and I know Im still learning. I wish I could help as I am here, what is your issue? Ill for sure give it a go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
No data is getting input to the sound card, I'm using the same calibration file I did last time... i also can't get my subs to output a test signal.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Ok, I have had this. Turn everything off. Close REW, and do a restart. Then make sure everything is plugged in, meaning mic and hdmi cord to your AVR and start up your puter. Then open REW. Did we get lucky? This is the windows finicky I was talking about. Plug and unplug the mic while REW is running, same result. Do a fresh start up with all items already plugged in. Now if you have already done this, Im running out of suggestions.

EDIT: Because I type like a 3 year old....

·
Registered
20 Posts
No luck lol. Guess I should have been paying more attention when my MAC friendly buddy was here helping me. I'll try again tomorrow or Wednesday night. Thanks for the help.

In the meantime if anyone is willing to remote in tomorrow or Wednesday night for a little bit to help me out i would be willing to offer a solid thank you 😁👍🏻

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I assume you have already used REW based on some of your comments. If not, did you go in the the preferances and define the input and output? Based on your mic calibration file comment I would assume you already know, and did this. Better help will be along Im sure. Sorry I was more a speed bump then an on ramp.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I assume you have already used REW based on some of your comments. If not, did you go in the the preferances and define the input and output? Based on your mic calibration file comment I would assume you already know, and did this. Better help will be along Im sure. Sorry I was more a speed bump then an on ramp.
Not at all, I appreciate it! Yes I've ran it once, last week, but I currently don't have a laptop (lost in divorce) and I'm just using my new girls MacBook and on top of REW apprently being finicky with Macs this one doesn't have an hdmi out and I don't have an adapter so I'm just using USB to the minidsp to control it so that's an added level of complexity.

Initial response after EQ were great but a little low since i have to cut 10db off to get rid of a big peak at 20-25hz. I just think I could do a little better with level matching and REW was weird about being able to read measurments louder than 65db or so. I don't like having to do +10db in my AVR to compensate but we'll see what i come up with when I get it running again.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
I don't like having to do +10db in my AVR to compensate but we'll see what i come up with when I get it running again.
This is a red flag that something is wrong with your setup.

What level are you running the sweeps? Most use -12 dbfs (REW setting).

On the AVR, about -20 is fine for 85 dB SPL at your seat.

Is this AVR calibrated to Reference? (Audyssey setup does this)

Your mic sensitivity? I use Windows and make sure it is at 0.0 dB.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is a red flag that something is wrong with your setup.

What level are you running the sweeps? Most use -12 dbfs (REW setting).

On the AVR, about -20 is fine for 85 dB SPL at your seat.

Is this AVR calibrated to Reference? (Audyssey setup does this)

Your mic sensitivity? I use Windows and make sure it is at 0.0 dB.
I figured as much. There was alot to take in running it all for the first time. I think my issue is from not running the measurement sweeps loud enough because I was having mic issues. The mic and subs could also have been not level matched correctly.

·
Premium Member
This spot for sale or rent.
5,304 Posts
I figured as much. There was alot to take in running it all for the first time. I think my issue is from not running the measurement sweeps loud enough because I was having mic issues. The mic and subs could also have been not level matched correctly.
Here's a thread about running REW on a mac.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here's a thread about running REW on a mac.
That's helpful, every thing I see is reccomending using an HDMI to the AVR instead of inputting directly into the mini dsp with USB, like the mini dsp site reccomends, why is that?

·
Premium Member
This spot for sale or rent.
5,304 Posts
That's helpful, every thing I see is reccomending using an HDMI to the AVR instead of inputting directly into the mini dsp with USB, like the mini dsp site reccomends, why is that?
While I have bought a refurb Mac to run REW on, I haven't actually done anything with it yet. I do have the thread favorited for when I get around to it, but haven't actually read it yet. Nor have I actually used my minidsp, it's all waiting on me! :) :rolleyes:

Reactions: Hogre Franklin

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
You want HDMI so you can output 8 channels.

Honestly this is the first time I've heard of hooking it up any other way, so...hmm.
I know the multi-sub REW youtube video posted on this site regularly connects directly to the miniDSP because it is only for sub calibration. That is a very specific topic.

Reactions: Hogre Franklin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Test tones are sine waves and if you use them you don't want to run a single test tone very long. If you do you can damage the subwoofer. Did you get any weird smells coming from your sub or any weird sounds? As long as you didn't play any test tones very long you should be okay. The PSA subs are protested by the DSP programming but if you get careless you can still cook them. So beware when running sine waves... especially at louder volumes.
No weird noises or smells, the amp also did not feel hot to the touch. I played each frequency for about 5 seconds, so about a minute total.

·
Registered
14,318 Posts
As much as I admire your responses and usually agree with them I'll have to disagree here. In a bigger space I would agree with your position. The TR difference between pairs of S3012 and TV18 in a small space on slab will be minimal compared to adding A TR device to either. S3012's + device would blow away TV18 without TR device. TV18 + TR device may be slightly > S3012 + TR device but I'd pay cash to those whose could tell the difference in a blind test.
Believe it or not there ARE circumstances (admittedly uncommon) where LT vented alignments aren't head and shoulders above other options. Once your on slab you lose out on a lot of TR without a device regardless of LTV or sealed.
Tim
You are entitled to your own opinion for sure but I do not believe the S3012's will have the same level of TR as the TV18's in the ULF even in a small room. TR above 30hz yes but not below 20hz. The Port is doing a lot more then you think. The B&C drivers are also very clean so you could run a house curve without bloating the sound and utilize the extra available output around port tune to increase the ULF TR.

I agree that a TR device is the ultimate solution for TR.

At the end of the day One should just demo both models and make their own decision. All rooms are different and what we have experienced with out setups in our rooms may not yield the same results in another.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I received my pair of s42ipals yesterday. I've only had little time to do some initial listening but all I have to say Tom nailed it with this beast subwoofer. I will post a more thorough review in the next few days but I am very happy with them so far. I know the dimension of the sub got specified but until you see them in person you don't realize just how big they are LOL.

59461 - 59480 of 61079 Posts