AVS Forum banner

59501 - 59520 of 59933 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
It sounds like the back plate is rattling. I haven't tried to tip it or anything. I'm seriously scared that there's something wrong with it and I'm gonna have to fork out a thousand more dollars to have it fixed.. I hope to God it's not blown or I'll be devastated. It only makes the rattle at higher volumes and is not audible at lower levels.
Relax. You have a warranty.

Reactions: Phil1975m

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
Hop,
You edged me out with our simultaneous/ identical posts!
Tim
LOL... I guess I snuck in right before you hit the "post reply" button.

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
1,325 Posts
Are you sure it’s not the wall or something else it’s next to that’s rattling? If there was something rattling inside the sub I doubt it would be audible from you sitting position. Move the sub towards the middle of the room and see if it changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give this a try. I had an episode similar to this (weird noise). A few days later I couldn't repeat it (sub had been moved all over the room). I chalk it up to the LSD. It may very well be a room issue.

Reactions: Dockside HT

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm just worried about how much it would cost to fix if it was my fault that it broke and they wouldn't cover it.. Like worst case scenario and the woofer is shot I hope it wouldn't cost more than a thousand altogether... I don't exactly have that kind of money just burning a hole in my pocket
Relax....#1 thing to do is wheel that thing into another room and plug your phone into it and play something that you have been hearing sounds from , this way you can identify if its the sub rattling or your room rattling....

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
It's at 3/12 and the gain is set to 50 on the subwoofer itself
So a positive 3.5dB in the AVR? No positives. rerun correction to get the initial AVR sub trim to a negative number. -6 to -8 preferably.

·
Registered
308 Posts
So a positive 3.5dB in the AVR? No positives. rerun correction to get the initial AVR sub trim to a negative number. -6 to -8 preferably.
I recall a lot of recommendations for -11 to -11.5 as a TRIM to land on. Is the reason for that being if someone wants to run their subs a few dB hot? I suppose it would make sense if you didn't want to run the subs extra hot, an initial TRIM of around -6 would make sense.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I recall a lot of recommendations for -11 to -11.5 as a TRIM to land on. Is the reason for that being if someone wants to run their subs a few dB hot? I suppose it would make sense if you didn't want to run the subs extra hot, an initial TRIM of around -6 would make sense.
Yes, I couldn't recall what AVR brand he has. Yamahaha maxes at -10dB so -9/9.5 is the target. Auydesee (speleing) goes to -12dB I think, so same thing, -11ish. The goal is to stay out of positive trims. Tom when I was having my psychotic noise episode said it sounded like a clipped signal being sent to the sub and to back down the AVR trim and lean on the sub gain to make sure that wasn't it. If hes in teh positives he may well be clipping the AVR sub signal.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
It is fine that way far as the subs are concerned...but the center channel looks like it is "crying uncle". lol
There's a center channel in there? I thought it was a spacer to keep the speaker magnets from pulling the S42's together. 🤣🤣

·
Registered
302 Posts
spiroh,
you may want to trace a ray from your widest seat to the HF driver of your center to see if you need to move CC further forward so the BEASTS don't limit horizontal dispersion.
Tim

·
Registered
302 Posts
Give this a try. I had an episode similar to this (weird noise). A few days later I couldn't repeat it (sub had been moved all over the room). I chalk it up to the LSD. It may very well be a room issue.
Or whatever small object making your noise fell out when moving the sub around. Either way i agree with you that Bellboy needs to move it well away from its current location and do some listening.
Tim

·
Registered
273 Posts
spiroh,
you may want to trace a ray from your widest seat to the HF driver of your center to see if you need to move CC further forward so the BEASTS don't limit horizontal dispersion.
Tim
Hi Tim, Very good point. I need to make a better stand for the center channel so I will make one that allows it go flush. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well,

Took delivery of my dual TV1512s today. Ended up taking way longer to set up and REW sweep than anticipated so I haven't actually given them much of a test drive yet. That will be for tomorrow.

Here are a few pictures in my room - just realizing I did not take any close-ups of the subs, but they look just like the V1512s so you know what they look like.

I also posted my REW sweeps here:
Take a look!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Well,

Took delivery of my dual TV1512s today. Ended up taking way longer to set up and REW sweep than anticipated so I haven't actually given them much of a test drive yet. That will be for tomorrow.
this is what kills me with this hobby. I want to do so much with my TV1812s but every time I bust out my UMIK and REW, I need at least 3 hours to feel like I can get anything done. With 3 kids, I rarely get large chunks of uninterrupted time to focus on something like that. So frustrating.

·
Registered
334 Posts
this is what kills me with this hobby. I want to do so much with my TV1812s but every time I bust out my UMIK and REW, I need at least 3 hours to feel like I can get anything done. With 3 kids, I rarely get large chunks of uninterrupted time to focus on something like that. So frustrating.
This is exactly why I gave up with it. For now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ya, part of my issue was me being a bonehead. I couldn't figure out why REW was not sending anything to the sub - just silence. After 30 minutes, I finally realized I had the input on my avr set to aux2 instead of aux1 (input on front of avr)....

But even after that, things took much longer than anticipated.

·
Registered
553 Posts
That is exactly why I have never taken one single measurement in my house lol...I have all the time in the world with no kids or responsibilities , well I fight with the cats a lot , but I just dont care to spend my time chasing perfection! I know myself and will fall so far down the rabbit hole that I would probably end up stressing myself out and never fully enjoy my system..I would say that I am probably getting 70% of what my setup can do , and I am perfectly fine with that. I can already pretty much level the house and everyone who listens to it is blown away....Now there is probably some snob that would come listen and have some criticism with the setup , but I would end up telling them to "Fuggin tune it then or shutup"...Fortunately I dont really hang around with any high-nose type people :giggle:

59501 - 59520 of 59933 Posts