AVS Forum banner

59541 - 59560 of 59962 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey guys, whats it like going from a 15'' woofer to an 18'' woofer?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
Hey guys, whats it like going from a 15'' woofer to an 18'' woofer?
We've actually had this discussion a few times here on this thread and it's always been interesting to read the different input. For me it was a noticeable difference. In my case I was gong from dual XV15SE's to a single V3600. So it was dual 15" drivers spread out between two separate subs to dual 18" drivers in one sub. What I noticed was the 18" drivers bring a more penetrating bass, it feels like the bass works it's way down to bones. I loved it and I've never considered going back to a smaller driver.

But it does make me wonder what a 21" or 24" driver would be like.:unsure:

·
Registered
603 Posts
which 15" to which 18"?
Hi, yes please mate.

We've actually had this discussion a few times here on this thread and it's always been interesting to read the different input. For me it was a noticeable difference. In my case I was gong from dual XV15SE's to a single V3600. So it was dual 15" drivers spread out between two separate subs to dual 18" drivers in one sub. What I noticed was the 18" drivers bring a more penetrating bass, it feels like the bass works it's way down to bones. I loved it and I've never considered going back to a smaller driver.

But it does make me wonder what a 21" or 24" driver would be like.:unsure:

Thank you hop. Penetrating bass definitely sounds down my street. I wonder in a small room how good the S18 will feel.

.. or TV18... hm...

·
Registered
603 Posts
One more to show the size of the new B&C hornzilla...

Tom V.
Team Power.

HI Tom,whenever you get a chance, I shot you an email enquiry re: measuring the S18 vs some competitor speakers if you get time.

Also TOm, if choosing between S1812 and S18ipal, for a room where likely not to get near maximum output, would the ipal offer much tangible difference or possibly money better saved towards second sub?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Really tempted to go for the TV2112. Biggest sub I have had so far is 15". I like the smaller size over the TV1812.
don't confuse shorter with smaller.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Really tempted to go for the TV2112. Biggest sub I have had so far is 15". I like the smaller size over the TV1812.
Yeah its substantially wider which I find much more difficult to accomdate than height.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Also guys. I've had a change of budget since my last question a few weeks ago. I initially settled on dual S1812s. I now have to sadly go to a single subwoofer as I need to budget in for an amplifier, a house (lol) and an LG OLED GX upgrade. For a SINGLE subwoofer, would I be better off with an S1812 or a TV1812?

I have my current subwoofers REW graph here.
I've also now bought a hoverBOSS.
My response is quite good in the room so I'm thinking I'll be able to get away with running one sub rather than two. This is calibrated with my minidsp2x4HD and a BK monolith plus 12'' ported subwoofer. I am going to guess that a TV1812 probably has so much output that it could create a pretty flat line with some EQ?

With the hoverBOSS, does a TV1812 now make more sense as those ULF I was chasing from 0 to 10hz is surely now the BOSS's job?
(I'm aiming to build it near the end of this week).

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
Has Tom posted the dimensions of the TV2112? If he hasn't yet he will be able to provide you with the dimensions very soon.

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
Also guys. I've had a change of budget since my last question a few weeks ago. I initially settled on dual S1812s. I now have to sadly go to a single subwoofer as I need to budget in for an amplifier, a house (lol) and an LG OLED GX upgrade. For a SINGLE subwoofer, would I be better off with an S1812 or a TV1812?

My response is quite good in the room so I'm thinking I'll be able to get away with running one sub rather than two. This is calibrated with my minidsp2x4HD and a BK monolith plus 12'' ported subwoofer. I am going to guess that a TV1812 probably has so much output that it could create a pretty flat line with some EQ? View attachment 3050347

With the hoverBOSS, does a TV1812 now make more sense as those ULF I was chasing from 0 to 10hz is surely now the BOSS's job?
I would get the TV1812. Better to have more output than not enough.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts

My response is quite good in the room so I'm thinking I'll be able to get away with running one sub rather than two. This is calibrated with my minidsp2x4HD and a BK monolith plus 12'' ported subwoofer. I am going to guess that a TV1812 probably has so much output that it could create a pretty flat line with some EQ? View attachment 3050347

What does the ground plane response curve for your current sub look like? Is this graph you posted EQ'd or the natural response?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I would get the TV1812. Better tp have more output than not enough.

Hi thanks mate. Just concerned about boominess. I have a 12'' ported bk mono plus that is already a bit of a boomer and the room is small.

What does the ground plane response curve for your current sub look like? Is this graph you posted EQ'd or the natural response?

Sorry mate, I have no idea what that is. This is EQed. not natural response. The natural response was far more messy!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Hi thanks mate. Just concerned about boominess. I have a 12'' ported bk mono plus that is already a bit of a boomer and the room is small.
there is no boomy with ported.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Thank you. Did anyone here go from sealed subs (S15, S18 or S36 for example) to a TV18 and what their experiences were?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi guys, what could I use to prevent the subwoofer from vibrating or damaging the paint when laid sideways? i.e., TV2112 on its side.

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
1,329 Posts
yoga mat

59541 - 59560 of 59962 Posts