AVS Forum banner

59921 - 59940 of 61079 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
We've been waiting for my oldest daughter to get home from college so we could watch the Mandalorian as a family on the new big screen (she's a huge Star Wars fan). She finally got home late last night so tonight we are going to watch the Madalorian with the new projector. I'm very excited. 😁
Even though I am not a Star Wars person , my buddies have been telling me to watch it because it should be "bada$$" on my system...lol...Visually it looks impressive as well , I may wait until I get my new TV and TV series to watch it...It should look awesome on your new projector! :love:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
While I probably will never have a PJ inside the house , the little $150 one I bought off Amazon hooked up to some external speakers makes for a pretty decent outside experience once its dark enough even on just the side of the house..Luckily my house is a light gray so it reflects pretty good. View attachment 3060163
I think your melting the voicecoil in the sub to the right of the screen :D

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
LOL... Isn't this the way on AVS?

Actually I was going to go a little larger but to do so would have required completely tearing apart the front of the room and redesigning the way I'm doing things which would have put an end to the project before it even started.. it would have been too expensive and too time consuming. And in all honesty I'm really happy with the 100" screen. I absolutely love the whole set up. I only wish I had done it sooner.
I currently have a 100inch 16x9 screen too but I will be pulling the trigger on a 125inch 2.35:1-2.39:1 scope screen in the next week or 2. When I look at your set-up I see a scope screen in the future.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Since we are on video-I have a question.

I missed out and didnt grab an OPPO203 so I just picked up a Panny 820 (BB on sale at a pretty good price if anyone cares). Just picking up he box and can tell its no OPPO but I understand it spins shiny disks just fine.

Heres my question-anyone using the 820 for streaming? My AVR is older and not have 4K capability which means a Roku Ultra would have to go direct to tv and try to use ARC channel down to the reciever-not the best setup.

How does the 820 do at 4k streaming as I plan on using both HDMI out to TV and receiver?

Really dont want to buy a new receiver just for 4K video. I really have no intentions on ATMOS at this time.

I really could have used that HDMI input on the OPPO :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Since we are on video-I have a question.

I missed out and didnt grab an OPPO203 so I just picked up a Panny 820 (BB on sale at a pretty good price if anyone cares). Just picking up he box and can tell its no OPPO but I understand it spins shiny disks just fine.

Heres my question-anyone using the 820 for streaming? My AVR is older and not have 4K capability which means a Roku Ultra would have to go direct to tv and try to use ARC channel down to the reciever-not the best setup.

How does the 820 do at 4k streaming as I plan on using both HDMI out to TV and receiver?

Really dont want to buy a new receiver just for 4K video. I really have no intentions on ATMOS at this time.

I really could have used that HDMI input on the OPPO :rolleyes:
The Panny 820 and 420 are the best players for HDR-SDR tone mapping. Their streaming apps will do 4K but it will only do 4k with the Rec. 709 color space.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The Panny 820 and 420 are the best players for HDR-SDR tone mapping. Their streaming apps will do 4K but it will only do 4k with the Rec. 709 color space.
How would that compare to a 2020 Roku Ultra? Would not be surprised that the dedicated streamer does a better job?

Also, any better streamer options to ROKU?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
How would that compare to a 2020 Roku Ultra? Would not be surprised that the dedicated streamer does a better job?

NVIDEA Shield is hands down the best streamer out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,404 Posts

Reactions: gbreda

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
I currently have a 100inch 16x9 screen too but I will be pulling the trigger on a 125inch 2.35:1-2.39:1 scope screen in the next week or 2. When I look at your set-up I see a scope screen in the future.
You know what? I was going to deny that as a possibility but let's be honest... based on my track record in this hobby with the upgrades I've been through in the past 10 years, anything is possible. But I hope I can resist that particular rabbit hole. ;)

But I did add some velvet to my room yesterday so I've already jumped head first into the room darkening hole. 😮

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Im out till next Tuesday.....Have a great Thanksgiving bassheads!!!
You have a good and safe holiday as well.

I also wish the rest of you a wonderful Thanksgiving as well. Be safe and eat much! :p

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Elaborate? Also differences between 8gb and 16gb versions?
Dont suppose either has dual hdmi output-that would help me out
Shield is my favorite streamer as well. I mostly use Plex and everything plays really nice with that. Netflix, Tidal and Spotify work well also. I have an Apple TV also which has a nicer interface but I still prefer the Shield.

I can't remember what size I have, it mostly doesn't matter if you are just using it for streaming (internet or NAS).

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
There ya go Hop, take the black pill....once you get that room ready and get a screen and projector....it is just easier on the eye. I won't even watch movies anymore on a TV.
TVs are disgusting. And honestly, unpopular opinion, but HDR is overly bright and just uncomfortable at times. I miss my old, SDR, objectively worse, projector.

t. TV owner/no light controlled room currently when my old place had a dark room that a projector worked in. One day in the future.... this house is otherwise perfect for me so it could be worse :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think I'm in the minority on this subject, haha. My BIL has an awesome 4k HDR projector setup in his theater room but it just doesn't suit my eye. I like the brighter colors and greater contrast of TVs. I'd rather sit about 8'-10' from a 75"+ TV than have a projector setup.

I should also add I don't ever really get to watch with guests over. It is almost always just me.
I'm with you. I have absolutely zero interest in a projector over an OLED, just can't handle the poorer contrast. I keep seeing people talk about the immersion of a projector, but nothing pulls me out of a movie like greyed out blacks. If you've got a backlit TV then yeah, sure the projector should win hands down. But a starry sky with infinite contrast on an OLED just can't be beat. I'm just hoping my current 65 lasts long enough that the 88" size will cost less than a vehicle by the time I'm ready to upgrade lol!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I'm with you. I have absolutely zero interest in a projector over an OLED, just can't handle the poorer contrast. I keep seeing people talk about the immersion of a projector, but nothing pulls me out of a movie like greyed out blacks. If you've got a backlit TV then yeah, sure the projector should win hands down. But a starry sky with infinite contrast on an OLED just can't be beat. I'm just hoping my current 65 lasts long enough that the 88" size will cost less than a vehicle by the time I'm ready to upgrade lol!
Agree 100%. Another issue is HDR: protectors just don’t have enough light output. To me, you’re sacrificing picture quality for size in going with a projector. I used to own an excellent JVC projector and sold it and went with a 77” OLED and don’t miss it at all. Obviously, everyone must come to their own decision about this and I fully respect that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59921 - 59940 of 61079 Posts