AVS Forum banner

18521 - 18540 of 57833 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Up to 2012 that has been an issue, they have a recall for those models affected with HDMI board failures, they will repair all models that have this issue until the year 2018. One good thing about Onkyo. The newer model years don't seem to suffer from those problems but they still put out some heat and I would reco a couple of 200mm fans to keep them cool.

I may just wait on the receiver as DTX was just announced with receivers coming out the latter part of this year. I've also been looking at some plug and play RC software (outboard) from DSPeaker anti-mode. This seems like a very viable option for dummies like me. Tells you what's going on and how to fix it with it's own software, no computer needed.:)
Jeff: If you go with the Onkyo and use your external amps heat should not be a problem.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
Jeff: If you go with the Onkyo and use your external amps heat should not be a problem.

Mike from what I recall it was just the design of the circuitry that would just cause the board to get really hot, which would cause some chips to fry. I don't think the AVR's amp was the cause of the issues. I could totally be wrong of course....lol

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Mike from what I recall it was just the design of the circuitry that would just cause the board to get really hot, which would cause some chips to fry. I don't think the AVR's amp was the cause of the issues. I could totally be wrong of course....lol
JB: You probably are right, but using external amps should reduce the overall heat of the unit. Onkyo puts out a great product for the price but we all know you get what you pay for. I fought tooth and nail with them in another forum about getting the 24fps bug fixed that effected my 818 and other models. Onkyo then released a firmware patch that fixed the bug after a year of denying it existed. My next Pre-amp or receiver is going to be a Marantz, I still own a Marantz SR18 receiver and I always liked the sound it produced.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I had the same problem with REW. No matter what I do, I just can't get it to work for Asio. It's either getting the output working or input working, but can't have both recognized.

I ended up using java. If you receiver has a USB stream feature, you can use that instead of using HDMI or the audio jack. That's what I end up doing and it's been working solid.
Interesting about the USB stream, how did that work for you, and what receiver are you using?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Well Tom has received my V1500. Waiting to see if he finds anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
this seems good deal ... there is a personal promo email which frys sends out to people who have subscribed to it.. and it is making this denon receiver's final price to $499 + tax ( Denon AVR-X3100W )

Can someone please suggest if it would be better than my current yamaha rx-v575 ? I always think and have in mind that all the different settings and tests and calibrations that denon offers through audissey.. might be possible if I get this denon avr... also I have been hearing that DTS is a little better than Dolby.. which is what I see all in the yamaha receiver and no DTS option

need suggestions soon as the inventory might go out of stock soon

TIA

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Well Tom has received my V1500. Waiting to see if he finds anything wrong with it.
We're going to setup outside again today for a bunch of "nice to have" data sets for the website. I'll fit your V1500 in too MNC. Here is a list of what we want to get done today. If anyone has any requests, let me know and we'll see how much time we have. Most of these are re-checks but we will be able to take our time today(sunny, mid 60s,

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Well, I have to say, Tom hit it out of the PARK with the S1500. I wanted a nice, clean sub that I knew would have massive balls for when I'm back in a house, but for the time being one that would be able to play nice and fill out my RSLs up front. So far, the S1500 has exceeded expectations with regard to that goal.

Right now I only have it calibrated by ear...I'm watching Top Gun on Netflix and the low end is filling out the entire room with clean, subtle, deep bass. It's a pretty small room, and for now I situated the sub right behind the listening area. One nice surprise is that with it's little stubby legs, the S1500 is the perfect size to fit on my Auralex subdude. So far it's only slightly noticeable in the rest of the apartment, so I'm sure that the neighbors are happily unaware of the beast that lies within the apartment above and below them :grin:

The only issue I have, and it's not a huge deal, is that the dials on the plate amp are really loose. It wouldn't be hard for the gain, or another setting, to get knocked out of balance if my dog came into contact with it, or if it accidentally hit it with my leg (my office chair is right next to it). But all in all, money VERY well spent, and I'm sorry Tom, you won't be getting this particular S1500 back, my friend.

My current theater room is still a work in progress, but this gives you an idea of my current set-up:

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
We're going to setup outside again today for a bunch of "nice to have" data sets for the website. I'll fit your V1500 in too MNC. Here is a list of what we want to get done today. If anyone has any requests, let me know and we'll see how much time we have. Most of these are re-checks but we will be able to take our time today(sunny, mid 60s,

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I knew you would be happy Summa. Congrats. :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Well after this absolutely brutal New England winter, we finally hit a full weekend of sunny 65+ degree weather which means I did not listen to a home subwoofer or speaker once this weekend !!

But now its time to wind down and gear up for the next work week. After reading @nalthien final 2 days of his V1500 and S3000i challenge plus talking with Tom for a bit a little while ago, it really looks like 2 s3000i are in my near future. After all, if I have to give my weekdays to "the man", I may as well reward myself for it :rolleyes: (oh and this may cost me granite counter-tops to keep someone else happy/and quiet about this purchase ;))

·
Registered
12,734 Posts
Try clicking the wrench on the ASIO control panel and see what's active, the wrench will have an X through it when you do this. Try clicking on your mic and then closing ASIO and REW and then reopening, you may have to do this several times, it can be a pain in the a$$. It will eventually work.

Off topic: @Alan, what do you think, I can get a new Onkyo 1010 for $950, a new Denon 4520 for $999 and a new Integra 60.5 for $999 with Panamax SP and also a new Integra 60.5 for $800 on Ebay. All of these units have XT32 and SUB EQ HT. What would you reco. Denon and Integra 60.5 are from AC4L, new Onkyo 1010 is from OneCall and the new Integra 60.5 from Ebay. I look forward to your's or anyone's reply as I need a new receiever. I have some outboard amps to sell soon. TIA
Cheers Jeff
Well, Jeff...I would recommend the Denon because that is the one I bought and everyone knows I always pick the best product for the price. :rolleyes: :D

Seriously, pick whichever has the features you're looking for right now (and for the next 2-3 years). All of those are capable AVRs.

Reactions: ahblaza

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
Well, Jeff...I would recommend the Denon because that is the one I bought and everyone knows I always pick the best product for the price. :rolleyes: :D

Seriously, pick whichever has the features you're looking for right now (and for the next 2-3 years). All of those are capable AVRs.

I know you're being totally sarcastic Alan but I have to agree that the Denon is an awesome unit.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Speaking of a Denon unit... :p

Last night, my front left channel through my Yamaha 773 was really quiet, comparing to the right channel.

I played the test tones, swapped cables, speakers, did a factory reset... Zilch.

I bought the Yamaha for its reliability, but after only a year and 4 months, this happened.

Good news is that it's still under warranty. Bad news is that I have to ship it to Austin, TX and that whole shenanigan process could take over a month. So, I can't do that... really :D

What I have in mind is to buy a new/refurb receiver, potentially the x4000 (with XT32) from A4L, and sell the Yammy once I have it back. With that, I can also sell my SVS EQ1 and almost be even-steven in the money situation.

Any x4000 owners that would steer me in a different direction? :)

P.S.: Last weekend the wife and I watched Godzilla... oh yeah! Even though I don't think there is a lot of ULF, there is a ton of bass in that movie. The dual s3000i were pounding it!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I'm always careful about sounding too "rah rah" when I get a new toy, because I know how it can come off...but seriously, this S1500 is the best QUALITY of bass I've ever heard. And I've heard/owned some pretty nice subwoofers, going way back to some dual vandersteens back in the 90s.

Tom has really raised his game since his SVS days. Beautifully designed product.

I cant wait til I get back in the house...going to order a pair of S3000 monsters :cool:

·
Registered
758 Posts
This is how I setup my 4 subs. They consist of dual xv30F's and dual xs30's.
I set all subs separately one at a time to 75db. Once all set and ran MCACC my AVR set them to -6.5 but when running I left my xs30's off. With that said and all 4 subs on in the receiver I turned up gain -3.5 to give me 90 db at MLP. Do you think I'm running them to hot I first initially set to 95db but backed them off to 90db. When I first set all subs to 75db it was at my main seat. Thoughts anyone

Attachments

·
Registered
12,734 Posts
Was it @tvuong that did the "calibrate in small room mode, then switch to large room mode" or someone else??

Anyways, I tried this yesterday and it made very little difference in my room. I though I might get a boost in the ULF, but no.

Blue is calibrated with my dual T-18s set to Large Room mode. Red is calibrated in Small Room mode and then switched to Large Room mode.

Slightly smoother between 30-80hz and a dip around 25hz...other than that, pretty much the same. Been listening to it this way since and haven't really noticed any difference.

Attachments

18521 - 18540 of 57833 Posts