AVS Forum banner

18661 - 18680 of 57992 Posts

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Yes, I have chatted with Tom, he mentioned that as well, S1500 or xs15, leaving the option for XS30se if I want to go really loud.
Don't dismiss the XS15se because of its size, price or less than "brand new model status". Check the data-bass measurements and compare them to the other sealed subs measurements. You're looking at 2-3x the pricing to get comparable SQ and output.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Thanks Tom...so... if I am to visit the general area later this summer I might just stop by and say hello. On a side note, I just want to say I understand the sensitivity with the Axiom folks...the link with regards to the S&V shootout was already general knowledge here at AVS and was meant only as a tool for the OP. I have no issue with it per se....as was noted by another member HTS provides another reliable source to gauge their speakers for any comparisons.

I do understand why some of those folks(Axiomites) get overly sensitive with brand loyalty...we(PSA owners) had similar issues with a certain member who continually bashed or pointed out specific designs flaws insistently. I wish some guys just bury the hatchet and not rehash the same old arguments against one company. Having owned Axiom...I am well aware of some of their shortfalls but I also like some of what they have to offer.

Anyways, thanks again for your candidness discussing both the 3000i vs XS30se variables.

Cheers, Bill

Reactions: ahblaza

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
On a side note, I just want to say I understand the sensitivity with the Axiom folks...the link with regards to the S&V shootout was already general knowledge here at AVS and was meant only as a tool for the OP. I have no issue with it per se....as was noted by another member HTS provides another reliable source to gauge their speakers for any comparisons.
Hope I'm not reading into things--but this reads to me like my thread got brought up elsewhere and there was some drama.

Reactions: Billy p

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
That is correct. The two models will tend to sound darn near identical until you approach the output limits of the XS30se.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Hmmmm... hard to know how hard I am pushing my single XS30se right now. Even harder to know how hard I will be pushing TWO of them. It sounds great to me, of course I don't have much to compare it to. I typically listen to blurays around -15 and only run the sub about 1dB hot. I know the biggest difference between the two models is below 30Hz and that is where it's the hardest to "feel" anything in my room due to how open it is.

I'm just not sure even Dual S3000i's would begin to "pressurize" my room at those frequencies. I need to hear from @nalthien when he gets his second S3000i properly setup.:) I think it will come down to will dual S3000i's give me any more "feeling" from the deepest frequencies than dual XS30se's can IN MY ROOM?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hmmmm... hard to know how hard I am pushing my single XS30se right now. Even harder to know how hard I will be pushing TWO of them. It sounds great to me, of course I don't have much to compare it to. I typically listen to blurays around -15 and only run the sub about 1dB hot. I know the biggest difference between the two models is below 30Hz and that is where it's the hardest to "feel" anything in my room due to how open it is.
I realize that I sound like a broken record; but, get yourself a UMIK-1, download REW, and start measuring! Even if it means that your placement isn't going to change dramatically, you can run compression sweeps to know exactly when you're hitting the limits. Depending on your room and the frequencies you care about, you may be seeing compression starting around -15dB on the MV or it may not happen until 0dB. It's hard to know, until you measure. :D

I'm just not sure even Dual S3000i's would begin to "pressurize" my room at those frequencies. I need to hear from @nalthien when he gets his second S3000i properly setup.:) I think it will come down to will dual S3000i's give me any more "feeling" from the deepest frequencies than dual XS30se's can IN MY ROOM?
I hope to have it done today. I will say that even a single S3000i was giving very tactile response so I'm very hopeful for what 2 can do.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I realize that I sound like a broken record; but, get yourself a UMIK-1, download REW, and start measuring! Even if it means that your placement isn't going to change dramatically, you can run compression sweeps to know exactly when you're hitting the limits. Depending on your room and the frequencies you care about, you may be seeing compression starting around -15dB on the MV or it may not happen until 0dB. It's hard to know, until you measure. :D

I hope to have it done today. I will say that even a single S3000i was giving very tactile response so I'm very hopeful for what 2 can do.
Thanks. I know I really need to get the equipment to measure! Anyway, as for "tactile response", my single XS30se is shaking things like crazy! It's just when I hear people talk about the "pressure feeling" from ULF, they usually are in sealed dedicated rooms. I'm not saying I can't experience that in my room, just that it might take more than even DUAL S3000i's!

Keep us all updated on your findings!:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes, I have chatted with Tom, he mentioned that as well, S1500 or xs15, leaving the option for XS30se if I want to go really loud.
Don't dismiss the XS15se because of its size, price or less than "brand new model status". Check the data-bass measurements and compare them to the other sealed subs measurements. You're looking at 2-3x the pricing to get comparable SQ and output.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
I am not at all dismissing it, quite comparable to S1500 for my room's requirements( for less $), bigger ones would be overkill. I am just trying to choose a sub that will match ( and extend down low) nicely with my Def Techs ( which are doing beautifully after at least 10 yeas of use) for years to come as I do not plan on upgrading for next 8-10 years at least. So, with quality of sound I am also hoping to get durability.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Just finished chatting with Tom. He seems to think that I would definitely "feel" a difference going from XS30se to S3000i since the biggest difference is in the below 25Hz frequencies. I'm just not sure I want to spend more money or not. I originally wanted to spend no more than $1000/ sub.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
That is correct. The two models will tend to sound darn near identical until you approach the output limits of the XS30se.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Hope I'm not reading into things--but this reads to me like my thread got brought up elsewhere and there was some drama.
Nah...it was an unrelated issue. Sorry about that...:eek:. It was speaker related.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Just finished chatting with Tom. He seems to think that I would definitely "feel" a difference going from XS30se to S3000i since the biggest difference is in the below 25Hz frequencies. I'm just not sure I want to spend more money or not. I originally wanted to spend no more than $1000/ sub.
I realize this isn't what you want to hear: the best option from PSA if you want to be at that budget and get as much "feel" as possible in a large room is dual V1500. I know you tried the V1500 and you weren't thrilled with it. It might be time to check out some options from other vendors. :(

Yes, you can pressurize a large room with sealed subwoofers. But, it's going to take more money; probably a LOT more money.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Reactions: Billy p

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I realize this isn't what you want to hear: the best option from PSA if you want to be at that budget and get as much "feel" as possible in a large room is dual V1500. I know you tried the V1500 and you weren't thrilled with it. It might be time to check out some options from other vendors. :(

Yes, you can pressurize a large room with sealed subwoofers. But, it's going to take more money; probably a LOT more money.
Well I'm definitely not going that route. I'm sticking with dual-opposed sealed. Hope to hear more from you about your Dual S3000i's, especially what you noticed going from one to two.:)

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
1)You'll definitely notice the difference going from ONE XS30se to DUAL S3000i. That was the context when we were discussing

Reactions: mnc

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Well I'm definitely not going that route. I'm sticking with dual-opposed sealed. Hope to hear more from you about your Dual S3000i's, especially what you noticed going from one to two.:)
Yup, I can understand! And the S3000i is the best option from PSA (outside of the $3000 T-18) to get more pressure from a sealed enclosure. But, like so many things, your challenge can be described as a triangle:

1. Sealed Enclosure
  2. Low(er) Price
  3. Room pressure
You can have 2 of those 3 things--you can't have all 3. :D

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It really can be and endless issue that just keeps costing more money, especially in this hobby. As difficult as it is, once you are "satisfied", the best thing to do is stay off the forums. Many years ago, I canceled all of my magazine subscriptions for this reason but now its way to easy too pop in here and get pulled right back in especially when now you just sit on the couch with a laptop instead of a dedicated area with a desktop computer-how easy is that !

For me, it's personally justified in the fact that it's my only real vice-my more negative youthful vices have been left behind but I still love music and I no longer feel the need to go to a theater. At Imax or even regular theater prices, IMHO this money is well spent. Oh and when the dog or cat is looking and wondering where the hell that helicopter flying around the room or some animal is; that's just priceless :D

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
No worries; good to know! I hate drama. :D
There are OEMs that have been openly critical of the industry accepted ground plane measurement method in general and of my/Illka/Josh's ground plane measurements in particular. These criticisms have been ongoing for the past decade. Audioholics has addressed them best here imo.

http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/loudspeaker-myths-and-truths/loudspeaker-myths-anechoic-chambers

Anyone interested in learning more can just review Ilkka's excellent work in the field here.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/

And then just google the rest. But keep that drama to another thread please.

Thanks.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
It really can be and endless issue that just keeps costing more money, especially in this hobby. As difficult as it is, once you are "satisfied", the best thing to do is stay off the forums. Many years ago, I canceled all of my magazine subscriptions for this reason but now its way to easy too pop in here and get pulled right back in especially when now you just sit on the couch with a laptop instead of a dedicated area with a desktop computer-how easy is that !

For me, it's personally justified in the fact that it's my only real vice-my more negative youthful vices have been left behind but I still love music and I no longer feel the need to go to a theater. At Imax or even regular theater prices, IMHO this money is well spent. Oh and when the dog or cat is looking and wondering where the hell that helicopter flying around the room or some animal is; that's just priceless :D
I couldn't agree with you more! I'm afraid if I don't stay away from these forums, I may end up divorced!;)

·
Registered
5,237 Posts

It really can be a rabbit hole of sorts.

I love the S1500 but what about the XS30se for a little more. I love the XS30se but what about the S3000i for a little more? I love the S3000i but I know the T-18 would be incredible...

Some of this simply comes down to individual personalities. If you're the type that will always let that little "guy" on your shoulder whisper....but what would "XYZ" have sounded like with that movie. You might be best just upgrading and eliminating the little guy..:) On the other hand, we have all heard the phrase..."get 90% of the performance for half the cost(or whatever) too.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

18661 - 18680 of 57992 Posts