AVS Forum banner

18861 - 18880 of 58080 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
My dual XS30SEs dig surprisingly deep in my space, plenty of output in the single digits (7).
Hey Jeff,

so for my reference, as I will be probably getting dual XS15 or S1500's into 1500 cub ft , how being is the room where your setup is and how much wattage goes into your speakers?
Thanks, Sinisa

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Hey Jeff,

so for my reference, as I will be probably getting dual XS15 or S1500's into 1500 cub ft , how being is the room where your setup is and how much wattage goes into your speakers?
Thanks, Sinisa
I don't quite understand your question, how big is my room, about 2800cf and small opening to a hallway. Wattage into my speakers or subs. Speakers 200 watts /channel subs 800 watts RMS 2400 peak. Either of the two you have selected should provide all the clean output you need in a 1500 cf if sealed

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't quite understand your question, how big is my room, about 2800cf and small opening to a hallway. Wattage into my speakers or subs. Speakers 200 watts /channel subs 800 watts RMS 2400 peak. Either of the two you have selected should provide all the clean output you need in a 1500 cf if sealed
Sorry, speaker wattage, you guessed my question well. :eek: Just to compare,as much as you compare different systems and rooms, as I run my speakers also with 200w/ch and the room gets pretty loud listening at -15 dB.
Yes, my HT is in the basement, sealed with two block walls , and other two with soundproofing, and solid/sealed door. Good to hear that you have extension down to 7 Hz, usable though? If so than I can probably count on extension down to 10-11 Hz at least. :D

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
@nalthien, how are things going with the dual S3000i with the new amps??

I ask this out of curiosity and have a setup question for you.

When testing the single S3000 (and now dual), when you run Audyssey, have you been able to get the trim level to set up at -5 or lower after running the sweeps? I am using Anthem ARC but having trouble getting a single s3000 to set up below zero without starting with a base level of at least 85db or more (setting speakers at 75db). If I set the gain with trim at 0 for a starting point and at 75 db, ARC is setting the sub at +4 or greater. To allow for running the sub hot if needed, I generally try and have it set well below zero.

The XS30 with Bash amp easily set up at minus 5 or lower. Trying to figure out if this is a result of the new drivers and ICE amp and if Audyssey is acting similar? Strange thing is that while the sub sets at +4 or so, all of my speakers are setting up below zero with a base of 75db.

Overall the S3000i is sounding FANTASTIC and its still not optimized fully yet.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I still think the SB13-Ultra will give either PSA sub a run for its money with music :). For movies, the S1500 is a much better value than the $1600 Ultra. It’s also surprising how much more the Ultra weighs compared to the S1500.
I would have figured the same thing, but even if the Ultra were as inexpensive as the S1500, I'd still go with the S1500 for both music and movies. I wasn't sure I'd like the 15" driver, but much to my surprise it sounds incredibly tight with music, while hitting deep and impactfully with movies. I owned the PB13 Ultra previously, but I actually consider the PSA an upgrade.

And that's not meaning to knock the SVS...I just think Tom has raised the game AND lowered the price with his new line of monsters.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just looking for a thought or two here. First of all I had an xv15se. It was great and I was mostly satisfied. Couldn't refrain from wanting the v1500 though so I sent back the xv and ordered the v1500. Due to my own setup mistakes I couldn't integrate the v1500 in my system, but before I realized it was due to setup, I sent the v1500 back and got the xv again. After realizing what I had done wrong, I couldn't escape the thought of how that v1500 would do with proper setup, so one last time I sent back the xv and will receive the v1500 today. My question is...if the xv was run through my pioneer MCACC calibration and was performing smashingly, would I HAVE to rerun MCACC for the v1500? I did rerun it last time and did not get the best results. I really do not want to have the program readjust everything again as I feel the rest of the system is sounding great right now. If it is necessary, Is there a way to just calibrate the subwoofer area without having MCACC mess with any other aspect of the system? I do a lot of manual fine tuning of the mains/surrounds and would rather not have to go through all of that again. I cant see anywhere in the calibration menu to only perform it on the subwoofer. I have a "keep speaker settings" option, but it still runs through the rest of the program. I do not have REW or any external room correction program. I do have an spl meter and can set the level manually if needed, but im pretty sure MCACC makes adjustments other than just the level.

Paul

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I would have figured the same thing, but even if the Ultra were as inexpensive as the S1500, I'd still go with the S1500 for both music and movies. I wasn't sure I'd like the 15" driver, but much to my surprise it sounds incredibly tight with music, while hitting deep and impactfully with movies. I owned the PB13 Ultra previously, but I actually consider the PSA an upgrade.

And that's not meaning to knock the SVS...I just think Tom has raised the game AND lowered the price with his new line of monsters.
Same with the S3000i. Last night I put in Dire Straits Brothers in Arms cd as I knew it had songs (such as Money For Nothing) with good mid bass. The S3000i was much tighter and cleaner than the XS30 ever was.

Also, I know this is the sub thread, but I was listening with PCM 2.0 and no "effects" mode with bass management set with FR and FL set at 80: The 2 MTM210's and 1 S3000i had the smiles going big time !! :):) :D

·
Registered
298 Posts
Same with the S3000i. Last night I put in Dire Straits Brothers in Arms cd as I knew it had songs (such as Money For Nothing) with good mid bass. The S3000i was much tighter and cleaner than the XS30 ever was.

Also, I know this is the sub thread, but I was listening with PCM 2.0 and no "effects" mode with bass management set with FR and FL set at 80: The 2 MTM210's and 1 S3000i had the smiles going big time !! :):) :D
I smile every night when I listen to my 210's and Dual XS-30's........some material is just unbelievable.. I cannot fall off the slope and upgrade again, but the temptation is there. At this point it is more about additional acoustical treatments and kicking back and enjoying. :D

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
@nalthien, how are things going with the dual S3000i with the new amps??
So far, really, really well! I haven't yet run compression for two reasons:

• See the graph below--the null at 80hz is nasty and I want to work it out (I ran a sweep with my mains on as well and it did NOT smooth things out).
  • Been very busy with my kids in the evenings

I ask this out of curiosity and have a setup question for you.

When testing the single S3000 (and now dual), when you run Audyssey, have you been able to get the trim level to set up at -5 or lower after running the sweeps? I am using Anthem ARC but having trouble getting a single s3000 to set up below zero without starting with a base level of at least 85db or more (setting speakers at 75db). If I set the gain with trim at 0 for a starting point and at 75 db, ARC is setting the sub at +4 or greater. To allow for running the sub hot if needed, I generally try and have it set well below zero.
Interesting; I haven't had this issue at all (though, I haven't run audyssey with a single sub with the new amps). When I level set each of them to 75dB using the SW level matching, I was getting about -5.5dB when I was running single. With dual, I'm getting about -10.5dB (and that's about the same with the new amps).

Attachments

·
Registered
870 Posts
I am intrigued by the S3000i. I need to have the sub in the corner in my family room. Thus, one of the drivers will face the wall. Will that be a problem?

·
Banned
8,184 Posts
I am intrigued by the S3000i. I need to have the sub in the corner in my family room. Thus, one of the drivers will face the wall. Will that be a problem?
not at all! as long as the grill is about 1" from the wall you will be fine

·
Registered
870 Posts
Another question. The wall outlet that the sub will be plugged into is in a 15-amp circuit (non-dedicated). My understanding is that the circuit will trip around 1,400 watt load. Since the amp on the s3000i is 1,700 watt, should I worry about the circuit tripping? Am I worrying too much?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

• See the graph below--the null at 80hz is nasty and I want to work it out (I ran a sweep with my mains on as well and it did NOT smooth things out).

YIKES on the null!!
And kids will eat up your time for sure....usually in a good way though :)

Interesting; I haven't had this issue at all (though, I haven't run audyssey with a single sub with the new amps). When I level set each of them to 75dB using the SW level matching, I was getting about -5.5dB when I was running single. With dual, I'm getting about -10.5dB (and that's about the same with the new amps).
Where is your amp's gain at when you level set the subs to 75 db ?

·
Registered
5,836 Posts

The PB13 and SB13 are two different animals. I’m certainly not saying that the S1500 or the S3000i might not be equal to the SB13 in music, because I personally do not know (I haven’t auditioned them). All I said was that the SB13 would give them a run for the money in music reproduction. Neither the XS30, nor another highly-rated sealed sub known for music reproduction (that also sports a 15-inch driver), could match the SB13 on the music I listen to. And on some tracks, it wasn’t even close (and yeah, that tired expression of, “night and day” would apply here).

Movies, are also a different animal. I’m not looking to hear individual cycles, and pristine clarity of the lower registers during a bomb blast or a street buckling. As long as there is impressive tactile feel (and the XS30 gives that) and it’s not caused by audible distortion, I’m happy. That is why I own two subs; one strictly for music and one for movies. Music is a priority for me, movies aren’t (the equipment I use for music is expensive, for movies I went cheap). The only reason I’m considering an upgrade is that I sometimes watch concert videos and will play an occasional CD or SACD in that room.

I hope that clarifies things :).

·
Registered
390 Posts
Dual S1500's and they do most definitely play music well. The "room size" control really allows you to dial in how tight you want the sub to be. Although I do have a fairly sizable room, I have the room size dials almost all the way down to small (one notch above). Awesome for music and perfect for HT. Turning them up about half way and you get a punchier HT experience (although to be honest, impressive at first, but overbearing in the long run), but a bit much for music.

Reactions: sinisanav

·
Registered
390 Posts
Sorry, speaker wattage, you guessed my question well. :eek: Just to compare,as much as you compare different systems and rooms, as I run my speakers also with 200w/ch and the room gets pretty loud listening at -15 dB.
Yes, my HT is in the basement, sealed with two block walls , and other two with soundproofing, and solid/sealed door. Good to hear that you have extension down to 7 Hz, usable though? If so than I can probably count on extension down to 10-11 Hz at least. :D
No way to really answer your question. Three factors that will determine the power need for the speakers would be how efficient are the speakers, there's a huge difference between 85dB/W and 95dB/W; how loud do you listen; and the dynamics of the source material you listen to (the larger the dynamic swing, the more power you will use in peak). Another factor that will play a part is the room itself. An acoustically correct space (mix between absorption and diffusion) tend to be able to play louder without being harsh, but at the same time, stay more accurate at lower levels.

Although PSA does indeed play very low, don't get stuck on a number… It's the quality of what their subs produce that really counts.

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
Just looking for a thought or two here. First of all I had an xv15se. It was great and I was mostly satisfied. Couldn't refrain from wanting the v1500 though so I sent back the xv and ordered the v1500. Due to my own setup mistakes I couldn't integrate the v1500 in my system, but before I realized it was due to setup, I sent the v1500 back and got the xv again. After realizing what I had done wrong, I couldn't escape the thought of how that v1500 would do with proper setup, so one last time I sent back the xv and will receive the v1500 today. My question is...if the xv was run through my pioneer MCACC calibration and was performing smashingly, would I HAVE to rerun MCACC for the v1500? I did rerun it last time and did not get the best results. I really do not want to have the program readjust everything again as I feel the rest of the system is sounding great right now. If it is necessary, Is there a way to just calibrate the subwoofer area without having MCACC mess with any other aspect of the system? I do a lot of manual fine tuning of the mains/surrounds and would rather not have to go through all of that again. I cant see anywhere in the calibration menu to only perform it on the subwoofer. I have a "keep speaker settings" option, but it still runs through the rest of the program. I do not have REW or any external room correction program. I do have an spl meter and can set the level manually if needed, but im pretty sure MCACC makes adjustments other than just the level.

Paul
Unless you have one of this year's new Elite models it's my understanding that MCACC does not equalize anything below 63hz anyway.

If that's the case, I'd just drop it in and see how it sounds before making any adjustments. The new ICE amp also has some additional tuning options as well that you could try if you feel the need to before running MCACC again.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My pioneer is the sc-05. So I guess it would be considered an older model. I did end up trying it out with no further calibration and it actually did very well. I still wonder if I should just run the calibration to see if it would perform even better, but I think for now I will play with it for awhile as is.

·
Registered
12,810 Posts

Sub distance tweak didn't do anything??

18861 - 18880 of 58080 Posts