AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2862 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured there will be many people interested in this new version and we should probably start an official thread.

I just bought this as an upgrade to my PDVD Ultra 7 version. Yes, you can install it along side PDVD7. I bought the upgrade so it only cost me 59.99.

i am running Vista 32, on an Intel DG45 mini-tix board. Using the onboard x4500 HD chip. Connected via HDMI to my Sammy 5265 LCD. SPDIF only.

First impressions:

- Interface is nice, similar to 8 although i only played with 8 initially.

- Seems the other "Extra" garbage in 8 is gone. The only thing still there is Moovielive which you dont have to accept and so far has only popped up once asking if i want to sign up.

- I think the PQ is better than PDVD7. Colors seems more accurate and darks are darker. I need to test this more.

- So far no compatability issues. Iron Man, Dark Knight, Black Hawk Down, Simpsons, all the Bournes work fine. The only issue i experienced was some weird artifacting in Iron Man. Its not there in 7.

- Like the new media center integration. You can now launch PDVD to play BRAY within media center and have access to all the settings, etc. (although will still need to mount with VCD or Daemon first unless your playing a disc) This has nice consequences for apps like MyMovies once they update that to launch the PDVD process within Media center. No longer need to launch a separate app. Again, no compatibility issues. Played all the same movies inside media center with no problem. However, you cant launch DVDs (not BRs) from your hard drive from within this app in media center. Looks like you would have had to launch it first within PDVD outside media center than you can go back and watch within media center. Or save all your DVDs as ISOs.

- The new DVD upconverting feature is nice. Has an FFDSHOW like affect. There is an option to split screen it so you can see how its working. Does not create alot of noise and artifacts and i thought it made Gladiator look very nice.

- Unfortunately, I have a 5.1 system and no HDMI inputs on my AVR so i cannot test all of those audio features that people are curious about. Sorry.

- ANYDVD HD works fine.

- Hardware acceleration works flawlessly with my Intel DG45 mini-itx board. When running HA, unfortunately you do not have access to the new PDVD TrueTheater settings.

Ill post some more once i do further testing.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the review - I've also purchased this software, however, I have yet to install it - hopefully later tonight, I'm very interested in the upscaling of SD.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
I dont think there's going to be any difference between PowerDVD 9 and PowerDVD 8 for blu-ray playback; especially when it comes to colors, etc as they both rely on your PC's display adapter and respective directx video rendering.

It seems the only video enhancements made in PowerDVD 9 is for old generation DVDs.

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/mo...are_en_US.html

·
Registered
708 Posts
Just installed, already have an issue with Blu-Ray / region code issue. The upscaling and sharpening/smooth motion playback are pretty sweet, more to come.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone /forum/post/15951148

All who have the BD Region issue. Open support tickets so that CL puts it on high priority.

For anyone who has this, amend MSCONFIG to disable "Load Start Up items", reboot and try it. If it works, another App may be causing it.

Through a process of elimination I found it doesn't like DVD Region Free.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It might be me, but this version may just not be downsampling!

If you select 'Show information', on my copy of Saw IV it says the output is 24hz 48000HZ.

It doesn't however play the 7.1 the audio is encoded in, unlike previous versions. Apparently this will be an add in pack.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It might be me, but this version may just not be downsampling!

If you select 'Show information', on my copy of Saw IV it says the output is 24hz 48000HZ.

It doesn't however play the 7.1 the audio is encoded in, unlike previous versions. Apparently this will be an add in pack.

I am using analogue connection btw

·
Registered
708 Posts
dropping the 7.1 is ridiculous, they need to add that, and where is the add-on pack?? Not yet available? Are you using vista or XP? I assume you mean 24 bit.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrider4ever /forum/post/15951842

dropping the 7.1 is ridiculous, they need to add that, and where is the add-on pack?? Not yet available? Are you using vista or XP? I assume you mean 24 bit.

Sorry yes 24bit

I am on Vista 64bit

·
Registered
92 Posts
First Impressions (regarding the Audio part):

Setup: Vista 32, ATI 4870 - Catalyst 9.2, Realtek 2.13 for ATI, HDMI Connection with a Pioneer SC-LX 90 Susano receiver and 7.1 speakers.

I noticed also that the ‘’Show Info’’ now has more info regarding audio:

Actually it reports the original Audio Stream (ex DTS Master Audio 5.1 – Bitrate …) but also the ‘Output Stream’ which now seems not to be limited at 16/48 but at 24/48!

I tried an LPCM 24/96 track and the output stream was 24/48.

With a 16/48 track the output stream ‘remains’ 16/48 (so it seems that no ‘default upsampling’ is taking place also).

My main problem is that when setting powerdvd to decode multichannel audio streams to LPCM I am getting sound only from my 2 Front speakers!

Actually the output is not the stereo stream but it rather sounds like a ‘crazy’ mix of the original stream (ex. dialogues are coming only from the Front Right speaker).

With the same settings / drivers etc both PDVD 7 and 8 play fine (of course with the well known restrictions) all multi channel streams.

When checking speaker mapping from Vista everything is OK.

My receiver has 8 LEDs each one lighting up when the corresponding input channel is active and all of them light up when PDVD starts.

I also noticed that now, under Audio Settings, there is only the ‘USE HDMI’ option and not the options for ‘2-8 speakers’ (which were available in PDVD 7-8 versions and worked the same way as the ‘Use HDMI’ option in PDVD 8 (solving also btw the Rear – Side speaker mounting problems – totally different situation compared to the current one)).

I also noticed that, during playback, the Info tab shows my Sound Card ‘Realtek HDMI Multichannel Output’ but the status is ‘Not in Use’.

I re-checked / re-installed everything (also set Speaker config through Vista at 5.1) and I can only assume that the guys at Cyberlink worked their magic for one more time.

Anyone else with the same setup (ATI 5-7.1 LPCM) / problem? Any ideas?

·
Registered
92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX /forum/post/15952128

Well it still decodes TrueHD in full 7.1 (just tested Nightmare before Christmas), just not DTS-HD MA.

It makes sense.

I run several tests with PDVD 8 and concluded that DTS HD MA 7.1 decoding was broken and probably we where still being served good old DTS core.

It seems that now they are actually admitting the problem by removing DTS HD 7.1 from the specs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Arrrgh! I feel ripped off. I just upgraded to pdvd8 ultra on the 25th. They had nothing on there website about pdvd9 being released this week. So I sent this suppurt ticket, and hope they agree.

"I have recently upgraded to pdvd8 ultra. If I had known that pdvd9 ultra was going to be released so soon, I would have waited. Is there anyway to have my software version bumped up to pdvd9 ultra? I feel that information about the release date of pdvd9 should have been given during the purchase process."

We shall see I guess.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcav /forum/post/15952239

It makes sense.

I run several tests with PDVD 8 and concluded that DTS HD MA 7.1 decoding was broken and probably we where still being served good old DTS core.

It seems that know they actually admitting the problem by removing DTS HD 7.1 from the specs.

I think it is still outputing it as DTS-HD MA 5.1 rather than 7.1. The difference in audio between DD and DTS-HD MA is extremely audible in Saw IV.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz68 /forum/post/15952363

I think it is still outputing it as DTS-HD MA 5.1 rather than 7.1. The difference in audio between DD and DTS-HD MA is extremely audible in Saw IV.

I am afraid that is still DTS Core (i don't know if it is techically possible to extract only 5 of the 7 channels - it seems easier just to serve again dts core)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well after support solved my issue with the PDVD9 install I managed to also install the latest patch to PDVD8, which it turns out has the TrueTheater HD tech in it!!! My one reason for upgrading in the first place. One refund request later....

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz68 /forum/post/15951428

For anyone who has this, amend MSCONFIG to disable "Load Start Up items", reboot and try it. If it works, another App may be causing it.

Through a process of elimination I found it doesn't like DVD Region Free.

Thanks.It works for me your trick.

1 - 20 of 2862 Posts